Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Wins Again.

Professor
jraduga

Nokia Wins Again.

Thats right after receiving many awards for its new range of Lumia and Asha phones. Nokia has done it again. This time they have taken out a most prestigous award, in a fierce battle against all other phone manufacturers. The annual global award has gone to Nokia for all its hard work in Australia and around the world

This award i'm sure will be found in the halls of Nokia for years to come. I know all the companies were striving for the award, whilst the decision was one that the judges deliberated over for quite sometime, taking into account such things as quality of manufacture, numbers of products sold and the type of products offered.

But there was one section that Nokia out shone all of the manufacturers, which in the end made the decision easy. For its tireless work in Not responding to questions about firmware releases, for not making sure that customers are supported fully, for not giving clear answers especially to general enquires about status of faults and for not taking accountablilty for its errors.

The Award for the Most NON-Communicative Communications Company goes to Nokia....

YAY...we are so proud to be your customers

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jamo128

Re: Nokia Wins Again.

LOL
this is soooo gonna get deleted. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

maybe. but whilst it true, its still funny...

And if the mods cant have a bit of a laugh occasionally, well theres nothing i can do about it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

This comes as a surprise from you, but you are 100% right, Nokia truly deserves this award. By the way, N8 devices shall not get the new Nokia Belle Feature Pack One. Sweet, huh?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
zoran1981

why do you people buy nokia phones?
I have an N8 and I still did not find phone on market which can replace my N8
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Zeronanoseconds

zoran, in part agree with you... but go ahead upgrade to Belle and tell us how well it works.

I am now stuck I can't even install software on my N8

what a **bleep**.

Nokia lack a software development strategy as the one that they use now may work for computers or the old das, but now we no longer accept being given half completed code, buggy code that will take 6 firmware updates...

There is no method for Nokia to collect the status/problems in a phone and learn from it to fix bugs....  They don't release some basic tools to do diagnostics and generate reports that can be used to get support to have an indepth clue. or a problem.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
zoran1981

my N8 is already updated to official nokia belle and my phone is running smooth and fast..and I'm very satisfied with it..I also have an android HTC and been used iphone 3gs & 4..but N8 is way better phone..but thats just my opinion..anybody else can move from nokia but for my there's no better phone..
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

Thanks for commenting. Probably does seem a bit of surprise, i think most people think that i just go to protect Nokia at all costs. Which is not quite right. I would like to think that I try to be balanced in what i say on here. If I feel that something said or done is not quite right then I will provide another point of view to what has been said.

I understand that sometimes things can take a bit of time, to complete and that can be fine, most will accept that. I understand that sometimes people want or expect to much. But I also understand the need for communication, not only does it help to provide clarity, but also provides a chance of better understanding and tolerance on both sides.

At the moment, Nokia are not doing the things that they should be. As a large multi national corporation, they need to be more responsive to their customers to help foster a feeling of confidence, satisfaction and respect. I watched the comments here in australia when Nokia first announced that we were not to get belle. I saw what happened after Nokia decided that we were to get it afterall. And how most Australians then sat back and gave Nokia space to work to get it out to us. But now many weeks later they are still saying they are planning for it to be rolled out. Due to the fact that nokia are unable to communicate with us, we are all loosing our confidence in the company, have no satisfaction from Nokia and are quickly loosing our respect for them as well.

I have asked direct questions both in a PM and thru the pages on the forum and of course got no reply to some very simple question like "is the firmware being written at the moment or has it even been started?".  A simple yes or no is still to hard for them. No ones is asking for a novel sized answer, just a few simple letters put together to form a word of no more than 3 letters would suffice.

Please use plain text.
raphaeln8

I really dispised ANNA but just love what they did with BELLE on the N8. Congrats Nokia
Please use plain text.
Advisor
pauli_p

jradunga: Have you checked the nokia's support contact us web pages? There is live chat, there is phone numbers, there is email addresses, there is product archive with tons of pdf manuals, there is FAQ pages and there is this discussion board. What more do you want? I don't even see Apple having a live chat feature or its in very un-intuitive place in their web pages because I sure didn't find it.

And the other thing with firmwares. Of course firstly Nokia is not going to publicly announce new firmwares and their release dates in a discussion board. Secondly, Nokia employees answering here are most likely not the most technical hands-on guys in the world because all the technical guys are busy doing their work. They are not being paid any extra browsing these discussion boards at their free time answering same questions for millions of times. I think the main purpose of this discussion board is for common people owning Nokia devices to solve their problems together and not asking the employees when the bug X on platform Y in a country Z will be fixed and expecting an answer from developer right away. But of course, occasionally that might even happen if the bug is severe enough. Just my 2 cents.
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

pauli_p wrote:
jradunga: Have you checked the nokia's support contact us web pages? There is live chat, there is phone numbers, there is email addresses, there is product archive with tons of pdf manuals, there is FAQ pages and there is this discussion board. What more do you want? I don't even see Apple having a live chat feature or its in very un-intuitive place in their web pages because I sure didn't find it.

And the other thing with firmwares. Of course firstly Nokia is not going to publicly announce new firmwares and their release dates in a discussion board. Secondly, Nokia employees answering here are most likely not the most technical hands-on guys in the world because all the technical guys are busy doing their work. They are not being paid any extra browsing these discussion boards at their free time answering same questions for millions of times. I think the main purpose of this discussion board is for common people owning Nokia devices to solve their problems together and not asking the employees when the bug X on platform Y in a country Z will be fixed and expecting an answer from developer right away. But of course, occasionally that might even happen if the bug is severe enough. Just my 2 cents.

Pauli

firstly if we were talking about apple I would be discussiong this stuff on the apple communities boards, where apple do respond.

Yes we have been on contact us web pages and used the numbers and email address etc. Yes this is a forum for users to discuss issues and solutions to help each other out.

This is also the place that Nokia chooses to use to give out information about the rollouts and also the place that Nokia sets up thread for issues. Yes I understand that nokia are not going to give dates as to rollouts.

Nokia head of departments do regularly view these boards looking for suggestions and clues as to what is going on in the market and on the phones. I do fully understand the process of updates and rollouts, and you would know that if you had read any of my first few hundred posts literally on this board.

My discussion here is about the lack of response and information given to us. I udnerstand that not every carrier will release firmware, However in Australia Belle when it was rolled out to the rest of the world, Australia was told that it would not be given the update at all and that it was a marketing decision. It had nothing to do with carriers. The carriers at the time had not even received a copy for testing as it had not even been written at the time. And it was started only after every Australian on this board complained both to Nokia and their carriers, who then went to discuss further with Nokia.

Since then the only information that we have been told is that the update for Australian is in planning, whenever I asked or anyone else on this forum from australia asked we didnt get any reply at all, till one day we received a comment "we have no further rinformation".  So the only things we knew was that it was in planning and until the end of last week, as far as any of us here were concerned was that it was still planning.

Nokia made a decision some time ago to essentially ban Australia from Belle. You would if you read any of threads here see also that many people are posting issues with Belle, and they are not getting any responses, not even "we are looking in to it".

You would have to admit the best way for a company to be seen to care and to service its customers is through communication. We are not asking for technical responses, we are not asking for time frames. All we ask are basic things, little comments that say "we are looking into it" or "we are currently discussing with carriers to establish their needs". however unfortunately it appears that Nokia's left hand has no idea of the right hand is doing. It wasnt till J-Lo a nokia care staff member posted a comment the other day saying that we are likely to see the australian rollout occur over the coming weeks, that the people in HQ of Nokia found out that the Australian Rollout was about to start.   

In fact when i rang Nokia the morning of the release, the technical staff in australia didnt even know that Belle had been release to the rest of the world. I had to guide a very nice young lady through the forum pages to show where thir own HQ had started a thread annoucing the release of Belle. She took ownership at that point and followed up for me whilst i was on the phone. As i said no one seems to know what is happening in their own company , so how can we ever expect to be told anything here.

This thread is all about Nokia not communicating, something that i further discussed with some of the nokia staff personally. And another very nice and patient young lady in HQ, that i have had some recent discussions with has mentioned that she will be looking in to further for all of us., And seeing what they can do better for the compnay and us.

Please understand I didnt write the post above lightly, in the past i have defended Nokia and their actions, you will see from one of the posts above that this thread is not like what many on here consider of me. and if you were to read any of the first few hundred post i have made, you will see that this is not how I have handled things before. However I have always spoken as I see it, based on the best information that i can find. I try not to prejudge anyone or anything.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bushaven

I come on to this site now and again to get updates on my N8 only to find to my amazement the same contributors whinging about the delayed update to Belle. The same contributors were commenting months ago on how happy they were with Anna but now this is not good enough and before that were complaining about the delayed release of anna. These are phones guys and dont have to have the latest updates. You will always be dissapointed that what is new today is old tomorrow. As a piece of hardware my N8 is fine, Symbian is dated but I am still able to do what I want on it. All Belle is is a bit of window dressing. Try turning off all the wallpapers and frills , I run black screens and run in power saving mode most of the time and see how great the battery life can be even with high numbers of business calls or playing music for a whole day, or having bluetooth connected to hands free. Generally after a days use my N8 has still over 60% battery life. In fact if Belle was released I dont know whether I would even bother to update in case something that I liked changed. Most phone owners would not be aware of some of these updates. You perhaps should research the purchase of your phone to suit your use for a 2 or 3 year period, accept any updates when or if they come and plan your next phone purchase whether it be a Nokia or other and save your energies for more enjoyable persuits, in other words get a life. My next phone looks like being a Lumia 900 should it be released in Australia such is my experience with my Nokia. Updates or lack of them are of minimal importance and if you dont accept this you will be constatly dissapointed.
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

You know what Bushhaven, Any tom, **bleep** or harry can copy and paste. try reading the threads and then come up with something constructive to contribute, it doesnt matter whether you agree or you dont, just make an individual comment based on what is written in that thread. It not too hard most people can manage it, by themselves even.

Everybody has a right to a point of view, and if you had read the opening post in the thread you would have quickly realised that this thread is not whinging about not getting belle, as much as not getting responses to anybodies questions, whether they be about belle or simply that fact that no one responds to even those people that have listed a fault to be looked at.

In fact if you had read the thread the you may have even had a proper response to it. You would also had realised that its about the appearance of lack of service, the lack of ownership of the problems and the about the violations of rights, and equality. 

Like you I may update to a lumia 900, but that will probably be a couple of years off yet. But it definietly wont be less than that, such as a 610,710 or 800, I dont see the point in going backwards in features to what i have and the 900 is the only one at the moment that does the video calls, which i use quiet a bit.

Well you know my e7 still has probably 60-80% of my battery left at days end as well, and thats with background pictures and screen savers etc running and making call after call on my phone. Which is why a few years back now, my average monthly mobile bill was around the $1000 mark after $500 work of free calls. so I am a heavy user, but i have a much better plan these days of course.

Oh and I dont recall ever complaining that anna was late. I did however say that i didnt care how long it took as long as it was reasonable bug free. and honestly I havent complained how long this has taken for belle to be released either, more of it was trying to get answers as to what is happening. I still want it bug free as much as possible. But when you look at all the posts that everybody makes from all round the world, there is one thing that is common amongst about 95% of them. The lack of response and communication. Hence why Nokia was awarded the prize of being the most non-communicative communications company.  It was meant slightly tongue in cheek, but also to highlight an issue of the lack of communications. If you had read the first post in the thread you would have realised that. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bushaven

Bit defensive there. Was not aimed as a personal attack on you. Just a comment from someone who doesnt spend their whole life on these sites bleating about delays lack of service etc. Many of the threads are along the same lines. Problem solving threads do not interest me as I dont have many issues, I just pop on here from time to time to see about updates and encounter the same banter. Dont mean to attack any one, just to point out the reality of the tone of the threads and the overall unimportance of the whole deal.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jamo128

Important to you, but it may be important to others,

If you come on these forums to check for updates then so be it, but you don't have to reply to a topic just because you want to troll.

Hopefully the update will come soon, but, without a real date or time-frame as in, you will get it in April etc, then i wont be holding my faith high.

Btw, jraduga, it seems in 2 years or so time there will most likely be the windows 8 phone, which will most likely have most of those "missing features" in the current windows phones.

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

jamo128 wrote:
Important to you, but it may be important to others,

If you come on these forums to check for updates then so be it, but you don't have to reply to a topic just because you want to troll.

Hopefully the update will come soon, but, without a real date or time-frame as in, you will get it in April etc, then i wont be holding my faith high.

Btw, jraduga, it seems in 2 years or so time there will most likely be the windows 8 phone, which will most likely have most of those "missing features" in the current windows phones.

:smileyhappy:

Agreed. I am actually using win 8 on a pc at the moment, from what microsoft have advised essentially everything will work very similar to the each other, that is tablets, pc, phone etc.  Win 8 on the pc is very different in apperance from any other windows based pc o/s i have used or any OS for that matter. Seems to be very quick, but at the same time a bit confusing at the moment with slide menus coming from around the edges of the screen.

It is only the comsumer beta version i am running at the moment, but seems stable enough. and should make for a smooth transition for people when moving from their pc to the phone and back again.

I'm sure many things will change when I findly get to update the phone again. I usually update around every 2-3 years. I bought the E7, just on a year ago and she is working fine for me, so at this stage no need to replace. Hopefully Nokia will release another along the similar lines as the E7 or any of the commuicators style phones by then. Only i guess it will have the windows phone OS on board by then as you say.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Hypothetical question....

Suppose one of you was the guy at Nokia responsible for helping out in the forum. Further suppose that a large percentage of the guys who were helping design Nokia software for Symbian are no longer available.

So, you've got very little support staff. You've got the new Belle software with a large list of issues. You've got people who don't yet have Belle complaining that they need to get it, and at the other end you've got people who did get it, and don't like it, complaining just as loudly that they want to go back to what they had before.

You can't really get more resources, as the guys at the top have aimed Nokia at a new format, with Symbian on its way out. You also know that the fate of the whole company, for better or worse,seems to be riding on the back of the new Windows phones that the guys in charge made into the new face of Nokia.

Where do you start?

There is probably nothing Nokia can do that would satisfy people. They're not going to call back the huge design staff to help fix Belle, when they most need the design staff to fix Windows.

For those of you who don't yet have Belle, make up a list with two columns. On one side, write down what Belle will do FOR you. On the other side, write down what Belle will TAKE AWAY from what you've got now. Then make your decision.

I might be wrong, but if you hold off on asking for Belle until when/if it's corrected and finished (if that ever happens) you might be a lot happier with your existing phone.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
konathalalokesh

a reply for main post is congrats 1 st and u cant stabilise this achievement until u are unable to launch more touch phones for middle class. If u always ....... Stick on to high price phones lumia , n8 ,........ U will definitely get crashed by samsung or any other phone in market
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

konathalalokesh wrote:
a reply for main post is congrats 1 st and u cant stabilise this achievement until u are unable to launch more touch phones for middle class. If u always ....... Stick on to high price phones lumia , n8 ,........ U will definitely get crashed by samsung or any other phone in market

I dont know what its like in your country, but in australia to buy a phone outright whether it be a nokia E7, N8, Lumia 800 it all costs about the same as buying a Samsung and usually its less than buying an iphone. If you buy them on plans, they are bout the same as well. I think our prices are pretty reasonable here in australia

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:
Hypothetical question....

Suppose one of you was the guy at Nokia responsible for helping out in the forum. Further suppose that a large percentage of the guys who were helping design Nokia software for Symbian are no longer available.

So, you've got very little support staff. You've got the new Belle software with a large list of issues. You've got people who don't yet have Belle complaining that they need to get it, and at the other end you've got people who did get it, and don't like it, complaining just as loudly that they want to go back to what they had before.

You can't really get more resources, as the guys at the top have aimed Nokia at a new format, with Symbian on its way out. You also know that the fate of the whole company, for better or worse,seems to be riding on the back of the new Windows phones that the guys in charge made into the new face of Nokia.

Where do you start?

There is probably nothing Nokia can do that would satisfy people. They're not going to call back the huge design staff to help fix Belle, when they most need the design staff to fix Windows.

For those of you who don't yet have Belle, make up a list with two columns. On one side, write down what Belle will do FOR you. On the other side, write down what Belle will TAKE AWAY from what you've got now. Then make your decision.

I might be wrong, but if you hold off on asking for Belle until when/if it's corrected and finished (if that ever happens) you might be a lot happier with your existing phone.

Well Accenture is still suppose to be supporting Nokia and Symbian. And as many countries write/add the extra bits for Belle for their country, I dont think thats such an issue in terms of support. And these are in house guys/girls that make the adjustments.

Also From what i have been told its Microsoft supplying the changes and updates to lumia OS, with again only small changes to suit countries conditions being done by nokia, at least thats what i have been led to believe.

You make a valid point about the wanting or not for Belle, People should decide whether or not its for them, but honestly this has always been the way. Nokia have never allowed rollbacks of OS, and things have come and gone in the pass as well. You would also see many of my posts when Anna was being rolled out, my comments asking people to be patience till the bugs back then were fixed before hassling everyone to have it in some of the countries like the USA and canada and Australia rolled out.

Even back then when it first came out many people asked to rollback, but after the issues were slowly resolved those requests became very few and fair between. Also accenture at that stage had already taken over Symbian in the middle of the rollout and Nokia was able to handle the fixes without big dramas, although it did take a couple of months or so.

Lastly the main point of this thread was to say that we all wanted more information from Nokia. Whilst i produced this thread originally as a bit of tongue in cheek type of humour, it was to also highlight the fact that people were requesting information on many kinds of things and never getting a reply, this was based on the things I had been asking, and many of the issues that i had seen go unanswered, like many of yours Mike, but was not meant solely for Belle, but for anything and everything regardless of what platform you were on or what the issue was.

Since this thread was started I have had a few discussions with Kerttu, whom i found to be quite a nice young lady. She is looking further in to the support side of things, and she certainly understands what we are asking for. Kerttu mentioned that she would contact some of the local support staff (including moderators etc) to get them more involved. I have noticed a greater prescense since., including a couple of new mods.

Honestly you are absolutely right as far as the upgrade goes. look at the benefits of Belle, compare them to negatives (such as the things being removed) and then decide for yourself, you never know in a couple of months all the missing things might be back again and all the issues sorted (I know wishful thinking) but then you can update if you would like to. There is no time limit on the updates, only if somethings is released in the mean time (not likely to happen for a while now).

And you are right about the fact that no matter what nokia does it will upset someone for sure. To an extent i would hate to be in their shoes. Howvever I also beleive that most people are sensible, and can understand if something doesnt go the way it was supposed to, so long as they are told 'hey we have a problem and are working on it' or similar. keep people up to date and then people understand what is going on. Communication is the key.

Please use plain text.