Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Nokia n97 v2.1 Firmware - What would you like ...

Re: Nokia n97 v2.1 Firmware - What would you like to see?

Hi. I own a Nokia N97 RM-505 which i've recently updated to SW v20.0.027. *#0000# indicates that this version is dated 30-10-2009.

Well, 2 months without releasing a new firmware update is a very long time in my opinion. N97 has a very buggy software and even thought my phone is running the latest firmware, i found 2 bugs that are really annoying.

1. FM Transmitter and Wi-Fi on. When i turn off FM Transmitter my phone ask if i want to disable internet connectivity for home screen widgets. If i press Yes / No phone asks if i want to connect to WiFi, in No phone goes back to disabling internet connectivity : Solution : RESET

2. Sometimes when i go to Messaging , Sent - a message appears : Memory low. You need to close some programs. Solution : RESET

Hope V21 will come soon :smileyhappy:

Professor
froschy

@ despatcher - glad to hear that you have a problem free N97.

Your post made me think of some other posts that I have read with N97 owners claiming to have problem free N97s. Unfortunately when you read their posts they achieve this problem free experience by using multiple workarounds, a lot of these undermine or defeat the purpose of the feature. For example not loading any additional applications (the N97 was sold as the first Ovi Store device), not using any internet widgets on the homescreen, keeping the amount of multimedia/map data stored on the mass memory to a minimum (ie not utilising the 32GB), etc...

Given that most of the problems are software related (apart from the lack of NAND memory) I'm surprised that you're not experiencing any troubles with your N97. 

Again, if your device is working properly without having to resort to these sort of workarounds I'm glad to hear that but if you are utilising these sort of workarounds to achieve this problem free experience then you might has well purchased a much cheaper phone without these features and saved yourself a lot of money. 

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Advisor
katastrofic

Nokia shouled run exhange program b4 gone loose many clients
N3210 * N3310 * N6210 * N8210 * N7650 * N6630 * E65 * N95 * N97 RM-505 v2.0
Sage
timmyjo

Froschy, since my latest hard reset, my phone is working very well. The Accuweather widget is even updating as it should. Most (if not all) apps are closing on exit. Both of these have never behaved as well as they are now. I have it quite a bit going on with my phone, unlike some others. I'm still watching the RAM usage. I suspect that's still a problem. I take my situation as "light at the end of the tunnel", not that anyone is superior (or inferior).
Professor
froschy

@ timmyjo - yeah my phone has been pretty good too since the v20 firmware update (and having the self-harming camera lens, poorly isolated GPS antennae, and unresponsive touch screen repaired). It's really just the occasional bug/error and the poor performance or lag of the phone when starting apps, auto-rotating the screen, etc... Still even the occasional error/bug can be very frustrating like when you need to make a phone call and end up having to restart the phone.

The lack of NAND memory is always going to be a problem for the phone but I think that Nokia can resolve a lot of the other issues as long as they keep on working on firmware updates for this device. They should also make sure they deliver on their promise of a properly integrated native Skype client. Fingers crossed it will be in the v2.1 update and that the update will come soon. 

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Contributor

My n97 it is a huge mistake that each and every day I pay for it, cause I bought it unlocked, and it driving me crazy I can not return it back, and was ripped off 590 USD.

no flash player = bad internet experience.

the GPS navigator expire after 3 month .

the music player sometime crashs and bad FM transmitter.

there is no support for windows 7 (64bit) OVI suite and I was obligated to go with the PC suite.

man this is a genuine advice do not make the same mistake as I am, and even if you want to sell it, it will not give you have the price.

I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

best regards.

Sage

[ Edited ]

Obviously you not being able to use it on your x64 Windows 7 is rare.  I am using Win7 x64 Ultimate with NO isuses whatsoever.  And I also have an unlocked N97 (505 Variant) and I am having no issues.  Excpet for the missing and promised Skype. Regarding the GPS issues? I am using Garmin MobileXT which works great.

Message Edited by gamo62 on 28-Dec-2009 11:28 AM
Advisor

There is a lot of discussion regarding "memory" in this forum and I'd like to clarify the following as I notice some references confuse them:

There are 4 storage areas on the N97:

1. RAM, (size??) which is where running programs execute

2.  C: - 73MB. hosts operating system, applications and data not configured to live elsewhere (SMS, phonebook, mail)

3.  E: - 29.8GB. Host any application and data specifically instructed to live there.

4.  ??: -(not sure of the drive letter, never used it. - this where you can up to 16G I think?

For C: and E: I have plenty of free space (44.4MB on c:, 25.5 on e:smileyhappy: , even with MfE, Hotmail, another IMAP, and all SMS etc being stored on.

I have no idea where to see how much RAM I have, not much is in use by which application. We cannot even see which application actually run in RAM from startup.

That is part of the reason people get varying results with their devices and why so many problems seems to go away with firmware reset. To compare application that run at startup should be noted.  

For example, Google app. I only realized it ran in startup when the little "g" popped up on my screen even though I did not start the app. I later disabled a setting that stopped the "g" poping up, but is the application still in RAM? I don't know. 

Any suggestions on how to monitor and manage this?

Professor
froschy

[ Edited ]

Hey n97_v2,

First off to monitor/manage memory and applications you can install an application like "Best Taskman" (there are others like Handy Taskman, etc..) this will display your memory status, show open applications, close/kill open applications, etc..

Certainly a very useful app and IMHO a must for symbian phones.

As for memory you're almost correct, the N97 has three types of memory:

1. 128MB of SDRAM (the RAM)

2. 256MB of NAND memory (c: & z: drive)

3. 32GB (not all available) of mass memory (e: drive)

You can then also add a memory card for extra storage (max of 16GB) but IMHO with 32GB of mass memory already on the phone you don't really need extra. I have also read plenty of threads where the cause of the problem was the use of a memory card. Not worth the extra hassle as far as I'm concerned.

From my understanding the z: drive is for the firmware, as for c: drive you can actually save sms and mail (except with Nokia messaging) to the e: drive, interestingly enough the N97 mini has double the NAND memory (512MB) allowing for a much bigger c: drive which I understand has a significant impact on performance and stability when compared to the N97.

Hope this clarifies the N97 memory! 

Message Edited by froschy on 28-Dec-2009 08:03 PM
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Sage
timmyjo

I use "Best Taskman" to monitor RAM. It's simpler and seems to become part of the OS more than"Handy Taskman". It also has a "close all" option which allows the user to see the RAM get released in real time. My phone is running very good now with 35 to 45 MB of free RAM with nothing open. I had a lot of trouble when I was storing my email stuff on a memory card, not recommended. I have 53MB + free on C. If RAM was managed a little better (more free to begin with), I'd b satisfied with the performance of my phone in it's current state. We all have features we want, but (for me) they've been put on the back burner for now.... 
Counsellor

IF...if someone setup a petition thread for N97 here, guess how many dissapointed user here?
Sage

I guess thousands. There is already many several petitions everywhere. Here is one about the promised QWERTY on-screen keyboard

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/virtualkeyboardn97

Advisor

- Thanks I'm more clear on the memory now.

- Thanks all for the tip on the Best Taskman, just unfortuante we have to pay to get OS basics :-)

- I used to use E: for mail/sms etc. but got sick and tired of it resetting back to C: so I now just leave it there for now.

- I agree, no need for memory card.

Sage
timmyjo

[ Edited ]
To n97_v2, 
  • Yes, "Best Taskman" is accurately named.
  • Thanx to Froschy, I set my email to E and it stuck after having the same problems with earlier firmware as well. Have you tried it with 2.XX?
  • Memory card = BADNESS.
Message Edited by timmyjo on 30-Dec-2009 07:13 AM
Counsellor

what would i like to see, how about a firmware released some time in Dec like we were told lol. Once again Nokia are full of BS and cant meet deadlines. Cant belive its been 6 months of getting moaned at and they still dont seem to care! Nokia need to admit they messed up with this phone and then I MAY concider not going to Apple for my next device caus at the moment they have lost a loyal nokia fan!
Sage
timmyjo

Hello Nokia... it's time to release another firmware update. We BETAs are hungry!!!! You're very close to shutting me up, maybe others as well. I just need a little more competency from the OS. One more day in Finlandia to make your promise.
Sage

Timmyjo.

"Don't hold your breath". Mokia live in a totally different world to reality....

Hence the reason they don't "hear" our comments, feedback and gripes.

"Happy New Year"

(or as Mokia may say "Happy Easter")

Cheers

N97MINI from 150310, after the N97 (number3) drove me mad!! Prev handset N82, 6230i, N80, 6600, 6310, 5110, 3210, 6300, and others :-)

kevinx_98 on Skype
Professor
froschy

Timmyjo.

"Don't hold your breath". Mokia live in a totally different world to reality....

Hence the reason they don't "hear" our comments, feedback and gripes.

"Happy New Year"

(or as Mokia may say "Happy Easter":smileywink:

I think you may be onto something here! LOL (Kudos added)

Happy Easter (Nokia Speak for Happy New Year)

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Contributor
dohoangphong

[ Edited ]
Nokia really p*ss me off now because i tried FM transmitter 2 times but it doesn't work at all.... Or it can use only on FM1? Because i've seen the radio was on FM3 or something like that but even though if it's on FM1 doesn't work either.... My bad that i was in hurry to buy this phone! Is there anyone out there who made FM transmitter work succesfully? If so then can anyone tell me how to make it work? I had N85 before and it was working fine!!!! Also i'm expecting new firmware now!!! Hoping it can fix the FM transmitter problem and some other bug!!!!
Message Edited by dohoangphong on 30-Dec-2009 08:21 PM
Sage

Cheers Froschy,

Have a good evening/morning/day, and good New Year celebrations tomorrow, or (as Mokia may write):-

?            problem ?                                 N97 ?                                                  Nothing reported ??  !!!! 

Cheers

:-)

N97MINI from 150310, after the N97 (number3) drove me mad!! Prev handset N82, 6230i, N80, 6600, 6310, 5110, 3210, 6300, and others :-)

kevinx_98 on Skype