Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia n97 v2.1 Firmware - What would you like ...

Advisor

Re: Nokia n97 v2.1 Firmware - What would you like to see?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rkliew wrote:

P.S.: Nokia please let us know whats happening. I've even recommended a handful of friends to buy the N97. I need to answer to them too. They always look upon me for advice on all this gadgets matters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel sorry for you.. There were a few friends who came to me to know about N97 and luckily i gave them true advice, and happy about it now.

As many of you have said , as time passes by i an afraid to say that this may be my last Nokia Phone.

Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

omg..where is the update
n97.
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

[ Edited ]

I feel sorry for you.. There were a few friends who came to me to know about N97 and luckily i gave them true advice, and happy about it now.

As many of you have said , as time passes by i an afraid to say that this may be my last Nokia Phone.

Me too, I just couldn't  do it in good faith.

I also wouldn't have liked to be the one to rebuild (remove all apps from c: drive, format e: drive, hard reset, re-install v20 fw, & then hard reset again) their phones to get them working just OK! 

Message Edited by froschy on 10-Jan-2010 08:23 AM
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

@ ottoman & rkliew

Have you guys tried doing a hard reset and re-installing the v20 firmware?

Although not perfect my N97 doesn't have these problems and I'm able to read and write SMS's. As for the random restarts, I believe this is the way the OS handles a critical fault so it's not really the problem but rather a symptom (this probably doesn't provide much solace but you may experience it less after a hard reset)..

If you do decide to try a hard reset, make sure that you back-up the data on the phone (not settings).

Hope this helps! 

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

I'm either lucky, or smart. My phone works fairly good. It's still FAR from perfect, but the inefficient handling of the skimpy RAM is my main issue. It does need an occasional restart (not a hard reset) to keep me relatively happy, It does what it's supposed to do, albeit with an attitude sometimes. I'll just wait for the latest firmware, if that is consistent with previous ones, I'll wait until there's an Android that can do what I need. As I said before, we (the N97) are old news now. The N900 (and X6) are what's important now. We might have been "The Betas" for the X6 more than anything.

timyjo, it sounds like our N97's aren't too dissimilar in performance. I suppose in the end it's what you're willing to accept. My main gripes are that the widget UI still has problems where the widgets stop working/refreshing (at the very least requiring being removed and re-added from/to the homescreen), the web browser is so slow that it's practically unusable (it's the worst browser/mobile that I have tried, the web browsing experience on the iPod Touch is 1000 x better), there is too little NAND memory, the device sometimes lags and is just slow (opening apps, moving through menus, opening SMSs, auto-rotating), and just never knowing if it'll work as required without having to restart the device.

As for the N900 and X6, I think that you're correct in that Nokia now have two newer devices with buggy firmware to resolve, surely this means that they now have to divide their resources between the devices and I can guess what priority the N97 will get.

Nokia just don't learn, I read the review by All About Symbian on the X6 and they hammered it especially on the music player. It looks like Nokia made all of the same mistakes with poor hardware choices, releasing a device with bug ridden firmware, and the outdated UI and music player.

Hope we see the v2.1 firmware soon! 

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Sage
bowardsen

I have been shouting at nokia in this thread, but I don't think it's worth it. After my experience with support, I realized that we ar getting nowhere with this device. I am not the guy who have lots of money, but I sort of trusted Nokia. This device has so many flaws that it should never have been released. I simply can't get it to work properly.

After installing v20 + hard reset, I can get the device to work ok if I just use it for sms. I have some signaldrops when calling, but it works now and then.

But if will use the device as it where supposed to be used, I get widgets freezing, gps fix after 30 min which is lost again after 20 sek, mailapp freezing, wlan closes it self whenever it likes, browser which closes randomly, etc... I simply can't use the phone for work. At this moment I could been better off with a cheap craphone with black and white screen.

Do Nokia care fixe this issues... No, they don't. I think they do what they can, but that isn't enough. Reinstalling fw, reset etc... How many hours shall I spend trying to fix it?

I use my Iphone 3gs as written earlier. It's fast, it's almost bugfree, it's easy to use, and has never failed me in any way in three months. I would recommend this phone to anyone. - And I have never been an apple fanboy, but I have to admitt that 3gs is pure pleasure.

The Ide of N97 whith 5 mpx cam, hardware keyboard, gps etc was very good. I love it's design, but there it stops. My N97 has so far been the most expensive paperweight ever.

I hope the next fw will be good, and I hope Nokia does their best to fix issues - and fixes them. Everyone are longing for the next fw update - and often wants more from it thats reasonable.  - I just want my EXPENSIVE N97 to work as intended. That's all.

Even though we where promised Skype, I really don't care about it anymore. Just fix the main issues please...

Thank me by Kudos me.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rkliew

[ Edited ]

froschy wrote:

@ ottoman & rkliew

Have you guys tried doing a hard reset and re-installing the v20 firmware?

Although not perfect my N97 doesn't have these problems and I'm able to read and write SMS's. As for the random restarts, I believe this is the way the OS handles a critical fault so it's not really the problem but rather a symptom (this probably doesn't provide much solace but you may experience it less after a hard reset)..

If you do decide to try a hard reset, make sure that you back-up the data on the phone (not settings).

Hope this helps! 

I surely did hard reset my N97, as a matter of fact, twice. The second time I didn't even restore any data, I just had my contacts transferred to my N95 8GB and re-transfer back to the N97 using Switch function. Clearly it did not help. The thing is the problems mentioned are at random. Once it happens I'll need to pull out the battery to rectify it, switching the phone off & on several times did not help at all. When the problems do not surface it'll work beautifully. I'm really baffled.
Message Edited by rkliew on 11-Jan-2010 10:39 AM
N8-00 Silver > P/Code: 059D1G4 > FW: 011.012
N97-RM505 (traded in)
N95-8GB (back-up phone with another Telco)
iPhone 4 (used only for web surfing)
Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

Froschy, I wonder if all N97s can be running "as well" as ours. This current state is the minimum it should have been in at the time of release. I think updates can be done without losing your data or settings now. This seems like a good idea, but I'm thinking that's causing a lot of other people's problems. I don't think if we say that our phones are running "less than terrible", will cause Nokia to change their rollout of newer firmware. In fact, it might be others with problems related to incorrectly updated firmware (if that's the case). I'm not trying to sound superior, but more than a few phones are running fairly well. If I was on the other side, I'd be trying everything possible to climb over. People say the legendary N95 was even worse when it first came out. I had one, but after it was settled. GREAT phone, I just don't see how Nokia has been so successful with this business model. I recently talked to two people (one was a Tmobile salesman) who knew of two N900 owners. They were VERY impressed.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Nokia need this update

N97 - Give me another phone Nokia

http://www.petitiononline.com/NokiaN97

DiegoN97

N97 Worst Phone
http://n97worstphone.blogspot.com

http://www.petitiononline.com/NokiaN97/petition.html
Please use plain text.

I'd like to see a £500 mobile phone that functions like a £500 mobile phone, not like a cheap rip off copy bought off e-bay.

Nokia is continuing to commit commercial suicide by issuing incomplete, inadequate firmware updates for the N97. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

I'd like to see a £500 mobile phone that functions like a £500 mobile phone, not like a cheap rip off copy bought off e-bay.

Nokia is continuing to commit commercial suicide by issuing incomplete, inadequate firmware updates for the N97. 

I'm not sure about commercial suicide as they did sell a ridiculous number of handsets last year but unfortunately mostly in the low end, low profit segment of the market. More likely they will end up bowing out of the high end, high profit smartphone market as who could sensibly spend US $700 on a Nokia smartphone with their current business model of spitting one model after another out with the same underpowered specs, buggy software, and poor quality control in their manufacturing process.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Advisor

people we have to move because we have the biggest test the phone and does not work properly but we pay for the proper functioning
http://www.petitiononline.com/NokiaN97
DiegoN97

N97 Worst Phone
http://n97worstphone.blogspot.com

http://www.petitiononline.com/NokiaN97/petition.html
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Yes! Poor quality of flagshit phone N97, i'll have mine sending to NokiaCare tomorrow to change a new motherboard & new body case, to replace the malfunction vibrator & flaking casing paint! See...my most expensive Nokia phone & yet most painfull! Bye bye Nokia, i tested my frens iphone & i'm impressed!
Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

If anyone is happy with an Iphony, they shouldn't have wasted thier time or money on an N97. I've had MANY high end smartphones, while my girlfriend is on her second Iphony. Like WinMo and Blackberry, high end Nokias are TRUE smartphones. Part of the reason they can be so challenging (to some) is because of the many features they offer. YES, the N97 is still a mess (for now), but it shouldn't your problem. Go pay 1/3 the cost (AT&T) and be done with it. I say this to be helpful, not sarcastic.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

OMG  n86 already got theire new firmware N86 v21.006

how about n97..  :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

Froschy, I wonder if all N97s can be running "as well" as ours. This current state is the minimum it should have been in at the time of release. I think updates can be done without losing your data or settings now. This seems like a good idea, but I'm thinking that's causing a lot of other people's problems. I don't think if we say that our phones are running "less than terrible", will cause Nokia to change their rollout of newer firmware. In fact, it might be others with problems related to incorrectly updated firmware (if that's the case). I'm not trying to sound superior, but more than a few phones are running fairly well. If I was on the other side, I'd be trying everything possible to climb over. People say the legendary N95 was even worse when it first came out. I had one, but after it was settled. GREAT phone, I just don't see how Nokia has been so successful with this business model. I recently talked to two people (one was a Tmobile salesman) who knew of two N900 owners. They were VERY impressed.

timmyjo, I suspect like me you did the complete rebuild (remove all apps, format mass memory, hard reset, firmware update, hard reset, and then reloading of settings, apps and media) of your phone for the v20 firmware upgrade. Interestingly the Nokia engineers were saying that there was no need to do a hard reset before the v20 fw update. While I agree with you that there are probably more than a few N97 owners experiencing problems due to not doing this type of rebuild, I think that there are some issues that Nokia will never be able to resolve due to the poor choice of hardware.

Whether it was stubbornness or a lack of real world testing by Nokia, I don't know but I do know that the device should not have been released with the underpowered hardware and buggy firmware that it had when it went to market. The shame is that Nokia has not acknowledged the problem nor learnt from the mistakes made as from what I've read the X6 has the same **bleep** choice of hardware and buggy firmware.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

Froschy, the "double hard reset" might be the key. I don't seem to be going down the same ugly slope I did after the initial 2.XX upgrade. I have NEVER formatted the mass memory. I'm currently using some apps on it and still have pictures I took last June.
Please use plain text.
Sage
bowardsen

To get a minimum of problems I did a button-hardreset before and after updating my device. But there will still be issues....

Thank me by Kudos me.
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

Froschy, the "double hard reset" might be the key. I don't seem to be going down the same ugly slope I did after the initial 2.XX upgrade. I have NEVER formatted the mass memory. I'm currently using some apps on it and still have pictures I took last June.

To get a minimum of problems I did a button-hardreset before and after updating my device. But there will still be issues....

The hard reset before and after the v20 firmware update is definitely beneficial. I just can't believe at the v20 Q&A session the Nokia engineer stated that it was unnecessary.

And bowardsen, you are correct that it just minimises the problems as even after this the performance of the N97 leaves a lot to be desired.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have had my N97 since July.  The only problem I have is the GPS receiver, which is slow and inaccurate.  Otherwise I like the phone very much.  All key programs, phone, calendar, notebook, and phonebook work well and the touch screen makes navigation easy. Internet connection works fine.

Also the maps are fine and work fine with external GPS.

Because it is a multitasking computer, you easily load too many programs running simultaneously. This can make the phone tu stuck. When this happens you might have to take the battery off before you can start it again.

The Camera in N97 is very good. The pictures are of very good quality. I have not used my pocket digital camera after I purchased  the N97.

I have also the maritime maps for Finnish coast installed.  They work very well andso the N97 also substitutes the Chartplotter in my boat.

I think N97 is a great phone and has lot of capacity. I hope that the issue with GPS will be solved soon.

Please use plain text.