Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia n97 v2.1 Firmware - What would you like to s...

Professor
froschy

Re: Nokia n97 v2.1 Firmware - What would you like to see?

*** Exit the Contacts app. after hanging up from a call made from the Contacts app.
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.
Advisor
katastrofic

Better RAm menagment. With v2 SW RAM seems to disapear each day. After Hard reset got 50MB few day l8ter only 40MB and each day after even less.

Finaly some realy good apps. I mean usfull and well designed.

N3210 * N3310 * N6210 * N8210 * N7650 * N6630 * E65 * N95 * N97 RM-505 v2.0
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Addddd  clock ! while beeing in music player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

agreed, there seems to be something wrong with the c:/ drive management.

After a clean start with v20 I had 40+ MB free on c: and then without installing anything to c: it has gradually dwindled down to 20 MB 

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

-A more smoother and realistic kinetic scrolling like the iphone

-A more attractive and natural UI

-More RAM

-Stability and performance improvements

-New version of Ovi maps including 3-D buildings

-Faster response

-*Theres a bug with the homescreen where all the widgets just disappear leaving only a digital clock which i can not tap on.

-*Sometimes the screen just goes black and shows vertical lines which flash randomly and after, the phone restarts

n97.
Please use plain text.
Professor
zitseng

[ Edited ]

froschy: Your web browser cache uses C:. If you clear all privacy data in the web browser, you will find the C: space coming back. Sadly the web browser doesn't make this a configurable option.

It's possible that other apps also uses C:. I only know about the web browser though.

Perhaps a wish list item for v21 is to have the web browser cache location configurable and maybe a configurable size limit. Best is to have a real fix for the limited C: of course. 

Message Edited by zitseng on 29-Nov-2009 06:14 PM
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

thanks for the tip zitseng, I have already tried this so there must be something else sucking away the c: (maybe the widget UI?)

IMHO moving things like the browser cache to the e: drive causes significant issues as I would expect that this memory is slower to access than the c: drive. I think this is why Nokia haven't added an option to place the cache on e: drive as well as not allowing for apps like Nokia Messaging and Maps to be installed on the e: drive. If this is the case then it makes you wonder if some/or all of the stability problems are related to installing apps on the e: drive.

The lack of c: drive on the N97 is the single most annoying design decision that Nokia made. It probably would have cost them only a few dollars more per handset to have included double the c: drive. If this is in fact the cause of a lot of the stability and performance issues it would appear to be a costly decision given the bad publicity that the N97 and Nokia have received.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

*** Improvements to the music player

- a proper play count (times played, last played, etc...)

- stop/pause music when the wired headphones are removed (it does this when using a BT stereo headset) 

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Professor
zitseng

I've been wondering, isn't the C: and E: really part of the same 32GB flash memory? So it is merely a matter of repartitioning. Of course it doesn't mean this is a user fixable problem, but I imagine this is something Nokia could fix.
Please use plain text.
Professor
phatdumi

Apart from stability I also would like to see some screen transitions effects and maybe a choice of home screens (not multiple home screens as I know this phone will struggle with that) but I would like to have a choice of different home screens some not so linear as it at the moment.
Hit Kudos if I Helped out.
Nokia 3310-> 8810->N95->N95 8Gb->
Nokia N97 Black v21.0.045 RM-505 Code-0585162 (handset No 3)
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

having flash problem which seen on half picture when picture captured in firmware 2.0 plz help nokia

i am very angry with new firmware v2.0

when i have firmware v12 the camera rezults superb and very clear

and now i updated the firmware from v12 to v2.0 , now when i captured the picture the half picture shows flash light in it.

plz nokia help me , or fix the camera problem in new firmware or tell me what will i do.

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

[ Edited ]

@ zitseng

I've been wondering, isn't the C: and E: really part of the same 32GB flash memory? So it is merely a matter of repartitioning. Of course it doesn't mean this is a user fixable problem, but I imagine this is something Nokia could fix.

Unfortunately it's not that easy as the memory is completely separate.

My understanding is that the device actually has three types of memory:

32 GB of Mass Memory (e)

256 MB NAND Memory (c & z)

128 MB SDRAM Memory (RAM) 

Of course the SDRAM & NAND memory are faster than the Mass memory and I believe this causes problems for applications/caches installed/stored on e: due to the slower access.

Message Edited by froschy on 30-Nov-2009 08:04 AM
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Sage

Guys, I have read here very ambitious improvement, that's great. However, I would like them to fix the basic functions first. One of them is the ringtone issue that any handset can handel, except the Nokia's flagship. 
Please use plain text.
Professor
zitseng

Hi froschy: Okay, if that's the case then it is not so easily fixed. I suppose the only solution then is to judiciously optimize the use of C:.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
thendrianto

I would like to have

- Better memory management and supporting virtual memory on E: drive

- Better power management

- Kinetic scrolling on any application

- Stability on WLAN connection

Warms Regards,

THE

N97 Black RM-505 v20.0.019
Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

Actually simplified Wlan manager. its so confusing when u have to keep changing connections.....
n97.
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

Apart from stability I also would like to see some screen transitions effects and maybe a choice of home screens (not multiple home screens as I know this phone will struggle with that) but I would like to have a choice of different home screens some not so linear as it at the moment.

@phatdumi - Agreed that the phone would probably struggle with multiple home screens (some would suggest that the N97 still does struggle with widgets running on one home screen, the mini may have more of a chance with the larger c: drive).

Another alternative would be to have multiple home screens but only one capable of running widgets, therefore limiting the overhead on the device. I was thinking that perhaps in addition to the main home screen (with widgets) Nokia could implement one that has your contacts, another that has application shortcuts, maybe another for the music library, etc... The key would be to use some really nicely design UI for each of the new home screens. ie for the contacts perhaps a bar at the bottom third of the screen that has thumbnails for each contact, you would then swipe through your contacts using this bar, options for communicating (voice/video call, skype, txt, email, IM, etc...) with this contact would be displayed in the foreground and the details for this contact would be displayed in the background.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Professor
rasmus

I would like to see 'less suck' out of the Nokia team.

Some great suggestions above, but i have accepted there won't be many great new wonders coming for the N97 as the hardware is on of the main issues, and they can't fix that.

I love my purple screen, 1/2 day battery, sketchy touch screen and $800 price tag - I call it my Lumia 900
Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

My phone is much snappier and efficient with the latest firmware. There are now some bugs, but the basic system is what it should have been at release. I have no doubt Nokia will fix them. Since widgets and themes are kinda part of the OS, I make sure the active ones are installed on C. Anything else I put on E. This seems to be the most efficient use of space.Thier biggest challenge is dealing with the limited RAM. Right now, I can run the new Opera 10 browser for a short time before using up 40+ MB (all free) of RAM. During normal use, I still lose 10 to 20 meg of RAM that needs a soft reset to get back. I'm using "Best Taskman" in place of the default one. The last update did wonders. I'm expecting the December one to shut most of us up!!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

-A Flip Clock as screensaver (we don't have any in N97!) and wheather info with constumize background (like solid color or a photo)

-Better accuweather control (specify the update of current conditions from time to time and what connection to use like internet predifined or only wlan or gprs...)

-Support for AVIs

- Auto import of album art (pictures) in the artist or album folder that have the same name of the artist or album

- Some transictions effects and typing effects using the touchscreen

Please use plain text.