Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Official Nokia N8 PR1.1 Software Release Sched...

Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Re: Official Nokia N8 PR1.1 Software Release Schedule

Hi all,

and some quick answers before I'm off to the office.

- Size of the package is 7MB

- Packages are hosted on Nokia servers

- For the Australia variants that are "waiting for publishing" - I'm just crosschecking with our server team why they didn't go live as planned. We had a lot of work putting all the Signapore version online but the next big focus from my side is Australia. I'll keep you up to date.

BR,

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Advisor
capers2011

Hi Yvonne,

Thanks for taking ownership and focus on sorting out this problem for us Aussies.

Im sure i speak for us all, when i say that.

Have a great weekend

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sdrew56

[ Edited ]

Ok so what has happened to 059C951  Tesco UK?  listed as created and awaiting publishing within 2 days on the 14th and now no longer listed on the latest spreadsheet, no reasons no explanation given as to why we have not got it or why its no longer there.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
StefanKSY

Hi Yvonn,
First off I would like to thank you for your efforts. This kind of transparency should be implemented throughout the company support procedures. Regarding the excel file I have a question involving the product code 059D9D9(Vodafone Romania) which has 2 statuses: „ready and will be published on Tuesday” and „waiting for operator approval & similar”. Which status is the correct one?
BR
Stefan

Please use plain text.
Advisor
georgealex17

Finally 059D9D9 is ready. I can hardly wait for the update to be uploaded and ready for download. 

Thank you :-)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
spirit44

WHAT HAPPENED TO 059C951 TESCO UK?

MONDAY 14TH IT WAS READY TO BE UPLOADED ONTO SERVERS AND NOW ITS NOT EVEN ON THE LIST!

CAN YOU GIVE A SIMPLE ANSWER PLEASE?

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

[ Edited ]

@Skyee :

I'm a Tesco uk 059C951 customer.

It's been on the list so long now it's dropped off!! Still not done.

Most of us who post on the board can see that Nokia is failing badly in the update department because, simply, you haveTOO MANY variants for one update.

Even a different firmware based on colour. Come on.......!!

I was actually fortunate enough to get mine flashed generic at a NCC last month when it came out, but operator wise, the phone still works the same.

What does the operator need to approve? Shortcuts? Bookmarks? Operator ID?

I had mine unlocked by Tesco and use a T-mobile SIM. Never use Tesco anything.

This process has to change because as previous posts have said, companies progress, not regress or remain stagnant.

I, and by extension, we, don't all mean to have a go at you, but someone needs a dose of common sense where it matters.

With the next update to come, I hope the operators, or Nokia themselves, get this sorted because, trust me, people will look elsewhere.

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Cyberturnip

What happened to Tesco (059C951)? It was supposed to be uploaded to the servers within 2 days on Monday?

Really, really dissapointed.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Cyberturnip wrote:

What happened to Tesco (059C951)? It was supposed to be uploaded to the servers within 2 days on Monday?

Although promised that updates would be different with Symbian^3 OS, this is probably the first device update that MVNO Tesco has ever had to address with only recent foray into the smartphone market.

Never mind "Every little helps"!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gazzz

This is getting way beyond a joke and is now a complete farce.

We were told at the beginning of the week that several variants were ready and just needed uploading. 5 days later no upload, and the latest excel file doesn't even show them anymore!

WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON? YOU COULDN'T UPSET YOUR CUSTOMERS MORE IF YOU TRIED.

So here we are on a Friday and if previous form is followed we won't now get a post until next week, which no doubt will contradict previous info given - again.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kutsikas15

[ Edited ]

Hei Nokia-u could shrink the list down to ~70 variants + country variants, by combining colours etc - theres no need for different colours to have different SW!!!!

*right now theres 633 variants....THIS is a joke!!!!!!

..::T-A::..
Please use plain text.
kaikid

What happened to Tesco Mobile (059C951)!

Agonising wait for 6 weeks, then got excited when it said "ready and will be published in 2 days" and now it's completely disappeared from the list!

Skyee it's probably not your fault but please tell us what is going on! Looking at previous posts there seems to be quite a few people with the Tesco Mobile variant eager to get this update.

Please use plain text.
n8_apostate

Firstly, I'd like to thank Yvonne and the other Nokia staff for taking the time to respond to our concerns.  Without them, some of us would literally have nothing.

I am also awaiting the 059C951 Tesco firmware release.

The irony is that I had this handset before it was widely available, and before I had seen it in high street stores.  I bought this phone outright from Tesco Mobile, and received delivery on 18 October. It was unlocked on 26 October, and that was my last contact with Tesco Mobile.  I use an O2 SIM card.  (I reiterate every other customer's concerns that my firmware update should be dependent on a company that I no longer have a commercial relationship with.)

Now, exactly five months after receiving the phone, I am still waiting for a MINOR firmware update.  This is beyond a joke.  And yet , this inconvenience pales in comparison with Nokia's lack-lustre performance.

If Nokia were a small start-up company, I'd almost excuse this atrocious customer service, because a small company making these mistakes would die the quiet death that it deserves.  What makes this situation laughable is that Nokia is a multi-billion Euro multi-national corporation employing more than 130,000 employees.  It really is a farce.

I agree with the other posters that the preposterous number of country and operator variants is a contributing factor to this ridiculous situation.  The responsibility for that decision rests with Nokia.

I also think it's ridiculous (as Yvonne's e-mails suggest) that the publication and reporting of firmware updates is not automated.  Given Nokia's size, and market presence, it is really surprising that it is only now starting to grapple with such basic issues as delivery and reporting.

But none of the above addresses the real problem.  For it's one thing to be slow, but it's a far FAR worse thing to mislead customers.  I realise some people may take issue with that statement, and wish to remind me that Nokia and its staff do not intentionally intend to mislead or deceive, and that there is no malice in their action, etc etc.  Frankly, all that is irrelevant, because the measure of the action is its impact, and not the intent.

On 11 February we were promised the 059C951 firmware at the end of Week07.

On 17 February Yvonne advised us it'd be released by the end of Week 08.

Then we had no communication AT ALL for a few weeks even though we know, from the occasional post, that Nokia has never stopped monitoring this discussion.

Then we were advised that the software would be released in week 11.

And then, at the start of this week, WEEK 12, we were promised it within two days.  

And once again, Nokia failed to deliver.

I have worked in software development for almost twenty years, so I understand the complexities of delivering software.  (I'm confident everyone here understands that firmware is merely software, with a fancier name, but it's worth stating the obvious just to be sure).  The most important thing that I have learned over and over on almost every project has nothing to do with software development per se.  What I've learned is that above all else, you must manage customer expectations.

And that is the problem.  Nokia simply does not understand how to manage their customer's expectations.  The first step to doing that is to not over-promise, because that inevitably leads to under-delivering.  

All of us are playing a part in this debacle.  Nokia certainly, but also us as customers by continuing to buy products from a company that is treating its customers with such contempt.  Frankly, it's pointless us making threats here, or elsewhere, that we won't buy another Nokia product again etc.  But it is worth reminding Nokia, for the umpteenth time, that when it comes to making my next purchase, like your other customers who have championed you when everyone is buying an iPhone or Android device, all of these customer service failures will influence my decision one way.  Hopefully, very shortly, we'll also have some Nokia customer service triumphs that will help sway the decision the other way, but given recent performance I increasingly doubt that happening.

Rather than just criticise Nokia, I'd like to offer a solution.  Please consider doing the following:

1) if you do not have an update available for immediate release, don't announce it.

2) when you do make an announcement, make it your #1 priority to honour every commitment in that announcement.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gazzz

n8_apostate wrote:

1) if you do not have an update available for immediate release, don't announce it.

2) when you do make an announcement, make it your #1 priority to honour every commitment in that announcement.

Great post and couldn't agree more.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
spirit44

+1

Its like in Star Trek when Kirk asks Scotty how long it will take to get the engines back, he says 4 hours and does it in two.

Under promise and over deliver

Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

059C7Q4, still in creation...what the hell!!!
total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
calogero89

Hello,

My product code is 059C304 with my SFR nokia n8 phone.

I have select search an update with *#0000# and the answer is " there is no update avalaible".

My connexion is not a 3g connexion but GSM because here, it is a militarised zone.

Is there a problem with nokia server or that is my phone doing in 3G mode to find the update.

Best regards

Fabien Sorez

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ripitup

Im also waiting on the n8 update for tesco uk. will you reply with the status on this update

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Singapore all variants up!! I have flash mine and working like a charm. Thanks Nokia !!

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Hi all,

some more Q&As from my side:

* Why do product codes disappear from the list? I've already posted some explanations some weeks ago, but I just explain it again. The issue why product codes appear and disappear is simple: They are in work - and if there's a fault in the software built it has to be "repaired" and recreated. Therefore it drops from the list. We don't delete variants from the list on purpose - the basis for the list is a download from the tool in which all those software versions are created, and that can only show the ones that are progressing.

*Why can't you provide a better solution than this excel? If I could provide a list that includes every variant with exact timelines for every single product several times a day, I would do it. But, we simply can't. What we currently have is all that is available - and we at least try to provide some information instead of nothing at all. If you don't wanna check the excel the easiest way is to switch on the software update autocheck or Sign up to MyNokia, then you always get informed as soon as there's a new software available for you. (For instructions on how to do it, I've posted those in the very first posts in this thread.)

*Why aren't you answering our comments/questions or reply to our feedback asap? This forum is set up in an "user helps user" approach, which means we don't have staff that is employed to monitor all threads 24 hours & 7 days a week and answers to all postings (ie. when it comes to me, I have a normal full time job and answer posts in my free time). And as you might have read, we never shared this kind of update availability information before but started it to help you out and answer your questions as best as possible.

BR,

yvonne

Please use plain text.