Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Official Nokia N8 PR1.1 Software Release Sched...

Advisor
sdrew56

Re: Official Nokia N8 PR1.1 Software Release Schedule

[ Edited ]

"* Why do product codes disappear from the list? I've already posted some explanations some weeks ago, but I just explain it again. The issue why product codes appear and disappear is simple: They are in work - and if there's a fault in the software built it has to be "repaired" and recreated. Therefore it drops from the list. We don't delete variants from the list on purpose - the basis for the list is a download from the tool in which all those software versions are created, and that can only show the ones that are progressing."

Yes but on the 14 th excel file the 059C951 was stated as complete and ready to upload not in progress why if compleated and presumably tested would it drop off the list for the reason you have stated in your post?

Getting really fed up with the misinformation now this has been dragging on far to long weeks in creation finaly reported finished and now removed.

Please a definate date when the 059C951 firmware will be ready.

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

... and some more.

*Tesco UK variant (059C951): That is one of the cases where it seems that things got corrected. I only see the status in the database but have now asked the local UK team to give me some information on what is happening & why it has been taken back. The excel list always show the status at exactly the time when the list was created. We can't unfortunately look into the future and estimate what could/would happen. So, if you see a product code today that is nearly ready it can nevertheless be that during testing we find some errors that need to get corrected and the software version has to be taken back!

(Managing customer expectations is nevertheless a very good point here - but then that would mean I can only tell you which variants are available for download & nothing else. Everything that is in creation is subject to tests/approvals/etc. which influence corresponding schedules. I can give estimates based on what we see in the systems at that specific point of time. Nothing more, nothing less.)

* Vodafone Romania (059D9D9): Both are correct (but sorry for the duplication, I missed this one), meaning: The update is ready but we still wait for Vodafone to give green lights to release it.

*SFR France (059C304): Update is available - Fabien, can you check if it works via OviSuite?

When it comes to your feedback on the number of variants: This is noticed and communicated within the company. But we also have to be realistic: Those things won't change over night, and we definitely can't change this from a technical point of view for an existing product.

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

@Skyee : RE Tesco 059C951

I have this variant and wondered what could go wrong in an update?

The phone has very little operator branding and the update doesn't alter the phone that much( I've already had mine flashed via an NCC).

With PR2 to come out, how will this process be handled differently and why can't we just have any UK phone generically flashed from an NCC if "Operators", or whoever, are dragging their heels?

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gazzz

skyee wrote:

... and some more.

*Tesco UK variant (059C951): That is one of the cases where it seems that things got corrected. I only see the status in the database but have now asked the local UK team to give me some information on what is happening & why it has been taken back. The excel list always show the status at exactly the time when the list was created. We can't unfortunately look into the future and estimate what could/would happen. So, if you see a product code today that is nearly ready it can nevertheless be that during testing we find some errors that need to get corrected and the software version has to be taken back!

So in the spreadsheet dated 140311 which clearly said "ready and will be published in 2 days" you meant "nearly ready and needs testing".

That's rather different isn't it?

skyee wrote:

(Managing customer expectations is nevertheless a very good point here - but then that would mean I can only tell you which variants are available for download & nothing else. Everything that is in creation is subject to tests/approvals/etc. which influence corresponding schedules. I can give estimates based on what we see in the systems at that specific point of time. Nothing more, nothing less.)

Managing customer expectations would mean giving out all the info you have with the appropriate caveats and avoid misleading statements e.g.. "nearly ready but needs testing before release." not "ready"; - "2 days if testing goes OK" not "will be published in 2 days". It is also about timely explanations if something doesn't go to plan and answers to questions in response to posts, not silence e.g.. customers have been asking for weeks why variants have disappeared but only today have you told us why.

No reasonable customer expects Nokia to get everything right first time, every time (though it is a good ambition).

I'm sure this is turning out to be as big a nightmare to you as it is to us unfortunate customers.

But to put things in perspective, it's only a firmware update. Just do your best Yvonne and hopefully Nokia will learn some lessons and improve things for the next release.

Please use plain text.
Sage
dj_nick_t

@skyee / yvonne: "- 059D918 (Romania countryvariant): We are currently waiting for local teams to work on this, and I've escalated it yesterday" any feedback from the "local teams"? for crying out loud, there are 3 (there) country variants for Romania, are they writing the core files from the scratch? or maybe they didn't even start working on this? looking forward for news related /if any
Previous (starting with '99): 5110 (2 pcs.); 6110; 6150 (2 pcs.); 6210; 6310i; 6680; N70; N73; N82 Silver; N97 Transition Black; N97 mini Cherry Black; iPhone 3GS 16GB Black; iPhone 4 16GB Black; N8-00 Dark Grey; iPhone 4S 16GB Black
Current: 808 PureView Black (Nokia Belle FP2, v113.010.1507) & iPhone 5s 32GB Space Gray (iOS 7.0.6)
Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whatever the method (ovi suite, nokia software installer, phone direct) the result is the same for SFR France (059C304): no update available.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tjbmurph

@n8-apostate: Very well said; you have expressed the opinions of quite a few people.  Let's hope Nokia takes it to heart....

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Hi all,

once more on the Tesco UK variant. I'm not a technical expert nor a software programmer - so I can't tell you what exactly went wrong where and why. What I got confirmed from UK is that an error was found and they are working to fix it. No timelines available yet.

For Romania: I didn't reeive any answer yet what is the problem. So I can't give any update here, very sorry.

Pjarz, for your problem with the SFR variant. I can't diagnose from here what the problem could be. The easiest way to solve it is to go to a Nokia Carepoint and have them take a look at it locally.

Regarding the process for PR2.0: We have created lessons learned internally and are working on a better process. But these are internal discussions and I can't give you details here. When we have PR2.0 available we will announce how things will be rolled out & keep you informed.

pS: As to why variants disappear, I've addressed this already in message 270 - ie. not stated that today for the first time...  ;-) (It's just very difficult to keep the overview in a thread with over 800 posts. That's why I keep repeating certain answers to make it easier for people who can't read through over 40 pages...)

BR,

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
maddogeco

Any news on the aussie updates?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nae3m

and i wonder what happened to the south african update ... :smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PaulGrenfell

If you ask me , the extrordinary number of Variants, has been a Logistics Nightmare from Day one.

Who the blazes instigated a Variant for every Colour? Bad move..

Please use plain text.
calogero89

Hello SKyee,

You says"

*SFR France (059C304): Update is available - Fabien, can you check if it works via OviSuite?"

I have install ovi suite, today at 00h20. I haven't show an update firmware.

In update there is only Ovi Maps 3.06 to be updated 

I'm verry annoying bcause i am a consumer who has really enjoy with nokia products ....

Please use plain text.
Sage
Akuma07

Nokia, you as a company have the power to push operators to approve the updates.

Stop acting like every company in the world is bullying you.

START CRACKING THE WHIP AND TAKING CONTROL OF THE SITUATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and btw,
WHY would there be any difference between the variants? Why would one variant work, but find a bug in the next? That is COMPLETE nonsense!

I just want my freaking PR1.1. WHY CANT YOU DO THIS NOKIA?

059C7Q4 IS STIIIIILLLLLLLL IN CREATION!!! **bleep**!!!

it is like one of the ONLY ones left!!!!
Hit the white star if I have helped you =]
Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

059C7Q4 is obviously VERY TRICKY cos of the highly technical DARK GREY COLOUR VARIANT increasing the risk to the ozone layer etc.
total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BrianDK

Akuma07 and brang1 >>

Try to relax a bit. You have paid for a phone, actually I do not think it says anywhere on your reciept that you have paid for updates aswell?

On the other hand, of course there is differences between variants, and this could create different errors, here is some of the differences that could cause extra work:

- Operator specific adaptations.

- Languages, different keyboard layouts and so on.

- Different colors may give different themes.

- Operators and country variant testing.

- Lots of other things...

All of these things will need adaptation to any other larger change. This will of course be a risk for errors, especially while it is not the same developer that makes everything. The country variants will most likely be adapted and tested by developers in the local area (if possible), and the might find some errors.

Other than that, some errors might occur, that will also be in the already released software. Therefore it is not always bad to be the last one to get the update. But test takes a long time, and testing a number of country variants can take a lot longer time than testing just one variant. :smileyhappy:

I have installed PR1.1 and I do not see any difference that can get anyone to "shout" in forums and trying to make a fool out of them selves. It is for sure small changes, but it makes Nokia N8 faster, and that is one of the most important things in this update. So it is worth the wait.

I think Nokia is doing the best they can, but they might learn a bit how to communicate future releases. Lets just hope they will :-)

Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

thats all we ask, better communication. i have PR1.1  too, so i really could not care less when, but there are a lot of other people here who are really frustrated. Tell the truth, if its going to be a week a month a millenium, does not matter, just tell the truth...

total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

skyee wrote:

once more on the Tesco UK variant. I'm not a technical expert nor a software programmer - so I can't tell you what exactly went wrong where and why. What I got confirmed from UK is that an error was found and they are working to fix it. No timelines available yet.

Be hilarious if 059C951 sent back because BBC iPlayer (UK) won't download material, when DRM plug-in has already been released http://www.nokia.co.uk/support/product-support/n8-00/software although no timescale for getting it to appear in device SW update.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

@BrianDK

I think you may of overlooked a small, but vital point in your estimation of how Non PR 1.1 users feel.

Looking at some of, say, the UK variants.

1. As far as Operator adaptations, they normally amount to Broswer homepage, Text settings and Network config etc.......

Inserting a SIM from a different network automatically changes these anyway, or, should you want to, you can change them yourself as with many other settings.

2. It's a UK market. What would you need to check in language settings?

3.Different Colours. Just change your theme.

4.They may test and test, but If you've not put in so much junk, what would you test for?

5.I'd like a list of what's the difference between variants, esp the colours!!.

I'm sure thats the thought from many on the forum.

Yes I do have PR1.1 (Tesco 059C951), it is faster and better in some ways, but my main concern is what will happen come PR2 and any other update further down the line.

Also, being tied to a Telco, should they decide not to bother with updates for what to them is an old model, what can we do?

All most users with this phone want is one phone which works the same no matter where you buy it. Nokia have just split the world into 00's of variants. Time consuming and pointless.

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gazzz

aspergerguy wrote:

Be hilarious if 059C951 sent back because BBC iPlayer (UK) won't download material, when DRM plug-in has already been released http://www.nokia.co.uk/support/product-support/n8-00/software although no timescale for getting it to appear in device SW update.

I was thinking along similar lines: couldn't believe that the Tesco branding could be at the root of the problem as there isn't any other than browser shortcuts as far as I can see.

I really wouldn't be surprised if you're on to something there.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Although slightly off-topic, it looks like N8 on the way out from Tesco after 6 months, discounted again to £285 and Samsung offerings bracketing it's price range.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.