Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Open letter to people who complain about not r...

Sage
brang1

Re: Open letter to people who complain about not receiving the update yet

besides a forum, should be about critique and praise, not just sucking up to Nokia

total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Sage
brang1

oh yer, and

All my Best,

total state of confusion
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

brang1 wrote:

besides a forum, should be about critique and praise, not just sucking up to Nokia

Yes you are right about the critique and praise. Unfortunately this forum seems to have become a B***H fest. I also believe companies do have a right to throw around some things before release as well. After all if no-one was to say anything about some new product, service or update, then a company has very little way of gauging interest. If there is no interest in what they are offering then why would anyone spend the money designing and building something.

Now I know here in Australia that Telstra would have had ANNA at the very least July of this of this year for testing. and knowing how slow they can be, possible earlier. Now we also know that they rejected in August, and were hoping to have it back and tested again ready for release in september.

I would suggest that if there hadnt been any issue that they would have released it, either late august or very early september. I would also go as far to say that there a chance that its the same in USA and Canada. That some issue has caused it tp be redesigned again and so has been held up whilst it is rewritten. So i dont think that Nokia headoffice got it wrong so much as each of the respect Nokia branches got it wrong, in the beginning. Just my thought anyway

Please use plain text.
Contributor
terryowen

jraduga wrote:

terryowen wrote:

I purchased my N8 from Amazon who sold it to me with the promise of an update to Anna. Since new N8s are being sold with Anna, that seemed reasonable to me. However, the waiting around had exceeded my return window, so now I'm stuck and not very happy.

In my case, I really need the portrait keyboard and the camera update. If Nokia were to release them separately from Anna, or an independent software developer had created apps with the same functionality, then I wouldn't be complaining.  I guess I could put the phone in a drawer until the update comes around to the US but I spent hundreds of dollars on this thing and oddly enough, I don't want to.  I just want it to work as promised.  And yes, Amazon bears some of the blame but so does Nokia.

I have had enough Android phones to not want another but seriously, Apple's hardware is as good as or better than Nokia (camera excepted) and for the money, why would I want to go through this yet again?  I like my independence and no contracts but at some point, you start to rethink it. 

Nokia makes awesome phones.  Their software and customer service - not so much.  As a software support person myself, I really do sympathize with them but as a consumer, I'm sick and tired of phones (not just Nokia) being rushed out with serious software flaws.That's one reason I got tired of Android, flashing my phone every other week got really old, even if it was fun in the beginning.

For almost five hundred dollars, I expect it to just work. That's not unreasonable, especially when the same hardware is being sold with the fixes I need.  For not too much more cash, I could get the most popular smartphone on the planet (with an app store to match).  As much as I like Nokia, the experience of owning one in the US is more and more of a drag.  If they don't want us as customers, why not just stop selling us phones and promises?

Terry

Firstly IF Amazon gave you a promise of an update, Then I'm damn sure they didnt give a date, nor would they promise something like a portrait keyboard. If you really needed a keyboard like that why the heck firstly did you BUY it, and secondly why didnt you buy an E7 at least you can see the converstaion whilst using the keyboad part of the phone. Whilst the cam might not be a 12MP it is an 8MP cam and more than enough for most things, they are similar size and do simialr things only the E7 has the keyboard. When you buy soemthing you buy it for what it is, not what it could be. There is never any guarantees that an update either fully or in part can or will be availble in any particular country. that is the control of the carriers in that country

Also if new N8's were being sold with Anna obviously at the same time for you to compare them like you have in your statement, why didnt you buy one of them. You have been told you will get an update, but you will have to be patient. If you read any of the threads that started to talk about the portrait keyboard, you would see that many people didnt like it, that it was hard to use.

If you want information about the Update then RING NOKIA USA and ask them, dont continue to complain to other users. Only Nokia USA will be able to give any extra information, other than what skyee has said. And currently that is, that its still being worked on.

My point is that I bought my phone after the initial Anna roll-out and didn't know that if I wanted Anna right now I needed to buy a different color. Color, mind you.  Not model.  Perhaps it's naive to expect that a phone that is being advertised with the new version of the OS would be available for update but not unreasonable. 

Telling me that I don't want a portrait keyboard is rather arrogant, isn't it?  You don't know me or my needs. I waited for almost a year to buy the N8 and only did after I saw there was the portrait keyboard in Anna.  It's not like I bought it knowing there wasn't one.  And if I had wanted a phone with a pullout keyboard and an EDoF camera, I would have bought one.  I can read product descriptions.  

I did contact Nokia and got the canned response.  Why do you assume that anyone who responds to these posts hasn't?  I didn't start any of them but shouldn't be chastised for chiming in with my reasons for expecting an update sooner rather than later. I haven't been rude and have every right to be exasperated. 

BTW, this is the nokiausa site and if USA customers do want to complain, how is that hurting you? You are in Australia and at least you have some idea why you haven't gotten the update. 

Thankfully I haven't worked retail in years but anyone who ever has knows that the last thing you do is denigrate or disparage an unhappy customer.  You acknowledge their feelings and do what you can to make it right. Most of the people who started these threads really only needed information, not lectures and insults. 

Terry

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

terryowen wrote:

jraduga wrote:

terryowen wrote:

My point is that I bought my phone after the initial Anna roll-out and didn't know that if I wanted Anna right now I needed to buy a different color. Color, mind you.  Not model.  Perhaps it's naive to expect that a phone that is being advertised with the new version of the OS would be available for update but not unreasonable. 

Telling me that I don't want a portrait keyboard is rather arrogant, isn't it?  You don't know me or my needs. I waited for almost a year to buy the N8 and only did after I saw there was the portrait keyboard in Anna.  It's not like I bought it knowing there wasn't one.  And if I had wanted a phone with a pullout keyboard and an EDoF camera, I would have bought one.  I can read product descriptions.  

I did contact Nokia and got the canned response.  Why do you assume that anyone who responds to these posts hasn't?  I didn't start any of them but shouldn't be chastised for chiming in with my reasons for expecting an update sooner rather than later. I haven't been rude and have every right to be exasperated. 

BTW, this is the nokiausa site and if USA customers do want to complain, how is that hurting you? You are in Australia and at least you have some idea why you haven't gotten the update. 

Terry

Firsky Terry this isnt just solely an USA site, you might access it thru the nokia USA website, but this is a global forum. I access the same forum from www.nokia.com.au for instance. Please read the Terms and conditions and FAQs to see what I mean by this.

I have not said that you dont need the portrait keyboard, I dont know what your needs are, only that people that do have it are finding that its not as people first thought. And that you should only buy something based on what it currently does and not what something might do in the future.

As far as colour goes, this does not govern the anna update and who can get it or who cant. Yes it does change the product code on the phone. But its the product code that governs which country the phone was designated for. So you could have a white/silver with 1 product code and a blue with a differnt code for example, but both product codes are still related to a country and a carrier (if its branded only), otherwise country only.

Whether or not the phone is branded/unbranded or lock/unlocked, it will still come to nokia USA (in your case or nokia Australia in my case)  firstly being able to make Anna comply with local communication rules and the carriers approving the update. Some carriers may or may not approve the update and this just comes down to the carriers, Where possible nokia negotiate with the carriers to get it thru. All of this creates delays.

As you can see from Skyees last post here /t5/Software-Updates/No-update-available-Post-your-productcode-amp-I-ll-check/m-p/1173379#M100954

Nokia are still working on the USA/Canada and Australian release. This has been mentioned many times and as has the fact that there is plans for a release in the USA. So if anyone has told you that it has been canned and wont be released, i suggest you speak again to them and get them on to the forum to check it out for themselves.

I'm glad to see that you have rung Nokia USA. many have not on here and have been complaining from the date it was originaly released.

Not sure whether or not you realise but I do not work for nokia. I am a user just like you and many others on here. and like you I would like Anna rolled out to us as well. But honestly listening to the amount of people from the USA that are complaining all the time (not saying you directly here I note you have only been here a few times), saying how they have been forgotten and not being respected by nokia etc. and listening to this since August is going beyong a joke. All they are doing are filling the forum with mutliply threads of exactly the same thing over and over again. Sure if they want to complain then fine, but at least place them all in one thread only.

I like many others come on here to find answer to other issues, and we have to go trolling thru page after page of useless "no anna for the USA" or  "when will USA get anna" threads. I do understand people are getting frustrated waiting, but not only are we getting frustrated with this, but we are getting frustrated seeing the same type of threads multiply times over from started by people in the USA. Especially when everyone knows that it is being worked on and that there is no use complaining anymore and that they just have to be patient.

The only place that no body seems to hear from here is Nokia USA on this forum. I suggest that everybody from the USA and Canada just start ringing Nokia USA constantly and asking where is the update. If they get flooded with calls for it then just maybe they will sit up and do something to help everybody in the USA and Canada. I believe  everybody should ahve the choice of updating if they want it. But honestly it really is no use making multiply threads on this user forum, when the ones that need to hear it are not using it. After all why would you walk next door to your neighbour and say to them that you want to talk to your wife, when she is actually back in your own house for example.Its the same here, no use talking to other users when the ones you need to speak to are Nokia USA.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
cooln8

/t5/Software-Updates/Open-letter-to-people-who-complain-about-not-receiving-the/td-p/1144423/page/2

This forum is being accessed from nokiausa website 

So it is imperative that nokia usa should also be looking at these postings but ignoring and doing nothing 

Or do you mean to say that NOKIA is like a mindless and headless company which doesnot know what its left and right hands are doing ? Each hand makes its own decision and there is no control at all ? Do you think that people are not calling or emailing nokia usa customer support regarding the updates ?  But is  anyone listening at all ?  

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

Even though the forum might be accessed via the nokia usa website, it is a global forum, i access the forum from www.nokia.com.au site. So far, i have seen nokia staff from other parts of the world on here, but not from the USA.

if you read the term & conditions to the site and the FAQs you will see that its is a global forum. You will also see that this forum is for users to assist users and that staff are not obliged to use the forum. But as it is nokia USA that must make the changes to anna for all of north america and canada and as they dont appear to be using this forum, then i have suggested that you contact them for any updates.

Now nobody knows for sure whether or not Skyee knows where the buidl for the states is up to. So based only on the lack of information, I would suggest that nokia usa is a good place to start, firstly to see what they have to say and secondly to impress on them that if they want to make a path in to the states with their products it would be good if they also used the forum.

The more pressure that is applied to nokia usa the more likely someone there will get tired of it and find the reason and start to tell people, if for no other reason than to shut them up. Everytime you speak to them make sure you mention the forum

Also based on some previous post some months ago from other users, where nokia usa had provided email responses saying that it was ready which was completely wrong, Skyee then got that fixed. I would then suggest that if nokia usa say they are not releasing it when we all know they are, or if they cant give an answer that is in line with what we all know, that is, its currently being worked on. thats when i would pm skyee about it. If there is a problem in one branch of nokia giving incorrect information then I think she would like to know about.  When you are talking about a global company, it is always hard for a head office to know exactly whose saying what and doing what when they are in another country. quiet often a head office willonly find out what is going on in a branch when a customer says something. All the reports, emails, and phone calls in the world can never give an accurate picture of what is actualy happening in another part of the world.

If you are ringing them regularly then great. thats probably the best that anyone can do at this stage. I've only made these suggestions to try to help you guys in the states to get some answers about anna, and to help stop thread after thread after thread being openned saying that USA hasnt got anna yet.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bkly11

[ Edited ]

Hi people,

From my view, customers that complaint about firmware update delayed are hoping to get their phone to be catch up to other phones (I guess most people know what is other phones means :squint:).

And yet those already purchased Nokia phone not intent to spend more money to purchase other phone again, so here are the place they voice out and hope there is a change, at least in time.

Well, do they get their requests in time (first quarter of 2012, it seems to be in Feb 2012 as we saw a Nokia blog said so)? Let's wait Nokia to answer it...through announcement or at least action, i.e. give us update in time...or disappoint customers again with delay it again...

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the Kudos star at the left. If it provides you the solution, please click on the GREEN Accept as Solution button at below
Please use plain text.