Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

PC Suite for Nokia N95

Advisor
Accepted Solution

PC Suite for Nokia N95

I just acquired the Nokia N95. With it comes a DVD with the PC Suite. When I took the contract I was not told about the minimum requirements for the operating system for this suite. When I tried to install, it told me that I needed Windows XP SP2 as a minimum. I have Windows 2000 PRO SP4. So now I am stuck. Even if there is possibly an earlier version I wonder if that will then not reduce the functionality. What is bizarre is that in the user's guide for the Nokia N95 it states that you can update the software if you have Windows 2000 PRO as operating system. I wonder who cobbled this together. I am interested in getting any advise on this situation or that I should return the mobile and go for a different model
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
illinjah

Re: PC Suite for Nokia N95

I just checked the requirements for the Nokia PC Suite here and it seems that Windows 2000 isn´t supported at all.

Maybe you should try contacting Nokia via:
www.europe.nokia.com/contactus and ask them if there is way to make Nokia PC Suite work on your OS.
There you´ll find a detailed selection of your country.
By clicking the "Kudos!" or the "Solution?" button on the right you can say "Thank You" and you´ll show the author and others that the post is useful.

The day we stop improving is the day we stop being good.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Many thanks for the response. That is exactly what I have already done. I have not much hope though that there will be a solution. I will advise you by tomorrow what the outcome is. I find it very poor that when you acquire a top notch mobile that you are not being advised about the minimum requirements for the operating system on your PC. Unfortunately you see this happening more and more with new hardware that no proper attention is given to the software consequences. I had a similar experience with a new digital camera. Unfortunately I did not think about it at the time. Without being able to interface between your PC and your mobile the mobile becomes just a piece of junk. I am also very disappointed in the user's guide that comes with the phone, which is very poor to put it mildly.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
illinjah

They often just give you the "Quick Guide" with the phone, which is, and I agree on that with you, very poor...

But I´m sure you have seen that there is a more detailed User Guide online.

Looking forward to the reply you´re going to get. :smileyhappy:
By clicking the "Kudos!" or the "Solution?" button on the right you can say "Thank You" and you´ll show the author and others that the post is useful.

The day we stop improving is the day we stop being good.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

[ Edited ]

27-Jul-2008 10:31 PM
gerko wrote:
I find it very poor that when you acquire a top notch mobile that you are not being advised about the minimum requirements for the operating system on your PC.

Did the system requirements appear on the web as if by magic after you bought the phone?

It is easy for someone who has not yet acquired the phone to see online that PC Suite is the software used to get a Windows-based PC to communicate with it, and it is equally easy to find PC Suite's system requirements online.

Message Edited by grschinon on 28-Jul-2008 09:00 AM

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I agree with the observation that you can find compatability info on the relevant website. However, I wonder how many people would first visit a website for a product to find out if the software is compatible with their computer before they go into a shop. Normal industry practise and standards require that on any hardware and / or software the system requirements of a computer are being mentioned. If I buy a piece of software I of course always check what the system requirements are, the same goes for hardware. I never had a problem. But here neither on the hardware, nor on the software any information was provided. In fact I went back to the store and they are adamanet that the PC Suite should work with Windows 2000 or that there should be a version that does. Looking at the Nokia website, there is a version 6.85 from 28-Nov-2007, but when I try to go to the download site, the website crashes. I am currently discussing this with Nokia. But the initial response from Nokia was that the PC Suite is not compatible with Windows 2000. So here I am, the store manager saying one thing, Nokia saying another, the website still another story. Wonderful!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Further to my observations, here a very loud warning about the vageries of Nokai mobile phones!! I have now spoken to a representative of Nokia and I have the following to report. In order to use the updater for the software of your mobile, you must have the PC Suite installed first. The suite is not compatible though with Windows 2000, but the updater is. So this is a contradiction in terminis. The lower version of the PC Suite, namely ver 7.85 instead of 7.0, is according to the representative compatible with Windows 2000, but their website says it is only compatible with Vista and XP!! Sic!! I had a look at all the Nokia mobiles that 3 G does and they all require XP or higher for the PC Suites. That is not mentioned anywhere, not on the box, not on the DVD or CD. Although there are apparently lower versions of PC Suites, which may well be compatible, they can not be downloaded, the option does not exist. Worse, in case they are compatible it is not clear if that only applies to earlier models of the N95 or that it also applies to the most recent one.
Looking at all the Nokia models, strangely only a few are still compatible with Windows 2000 or even lower. But even stranger, a brand new model, just being launched, namely the E6220 which comes with SatNAV is compatible with Windows 2000 and even 95, 98, Me and NT 4.0!!!
It seems to me that in Nokia they do not know what they are doing and the same goes for the providers, at least for 3G.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

It's a miracle that support for Windows 2000 was included until now. It's an old operating system that has been discontinued for a long time. Even Windows XP (introduced 7 years ago already) would have been discontinued by now had the uptake of Vista been anywhere near Microsoft's expectations.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
leonfreeman

Yea... :smileyhappy: it's smart marketing from Nokia. You pay 500 euro for new Phone from Nokia and must pay again 300 euro for new OS. May be Nokia have contract with Microsoft??? :smileyhappy:

I think Nokia must responce for support new devices! Try contact with Nokia support or chage you OS. :smileyhappy:
In the future see more jumps you have to spend money before you buy a phone.

NOKIA FOREVER!!! гы-гы-гы...
Nokia! Take a care for me and we real say THANK YOU NOKIA and you can collect a more money :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]
I have now solved the problem myself, no thanks to 3G or Nokia!! The information on the official Nokia website is erratic and sometimes blatently wrong. Also the technical staff apparently had not good education. I found by searching on Google eventually a website from Nokia that allowed me to check if PC Suite 6.85 was compatible with Windows 2000 SP4. By the way one of the best operating systems ever. It said it was, although on the official website from Nokia it said it was not. The problem I have encountered is a very typical problem with many other products. The official websites hardly ever let you download earlier versions. So the only way is to search on the Internet and then get directed to either a website of somebody else or occasionally, as in this case to a hidden website of the provider.
What I wonder though is why those technical people get paid for what they do. It is appalling.

Message Edited by linwood on 29-Jul-2008 10:26 AM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

[ Edited ]
It has nothing whatsoever to do with nokia, and in fact now that you've brought it to their attention they'll probably let their legal team loose on it and have it shut down because it's redistributing Nokia's proprietary software.

Message Edited by linwood on 29-Jul-2008 11:06 AM

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks for the info. Well that confirms to me what I have said already. It goes for many other software programmes, e.g. realplayer, quiktime, etc. The only company that seems to do it correctly is Adobe. If you go there you can say what operating system you run and then they give you the appropriate download. I have to re-iterate though that the Nokia care service confirmed to me that Nokia PC Suite 6.85 is compatible with Windows 2000 SP4, but their website says it is not. I obviously did no longer trust any info I received from them because it is contractictory and unreliable. Another example is that they say that the software updater is compatible with Windows 2000, but the PC Suite 7.0 is obviously not. You cannot have it both ways.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

[ Edited ]
It's pretty foolish to criticise Nokia for closing down support for an OS that Microsoft itself stopped supporting some time ago.

The basic facts are as follows: PC Suite support for WIndows 2000 ceased from version 7.0, released in the last couple of months. Nokia Map Loader support for Windows 2000 also ended with the latest released version, 2.0 (http://europe.nokia.com/A4984199). Software Updater hasn't recently had a major redesign, hence it does for the time being still run in Windows 2000.

Technically, there isn't a single Nokia phone that is compatible with any PC OS - they all rely on the very softwares we are talking about in this thread to function with the PCs. I'm a bit mystified as to where the statement comes from about the new 6220 being compatible as far back as Windows 95 (it didn't come from the 'official' info: http://europe.nokia.com/A4821138), this would only be the case if you had a PC Suite or similar software old enough to be compatible with that OS which would function with the latest Nokia S60 OS.

Message Edited by mccbleue on 29-Jul-2008 11:03 AM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Well I have to disagree. First of all the statement that Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows 2000 is incorrect. I am still getting updates and you can also still completely re-install the OS if and when required and get all the updates. That would not be the case if support had been withdrawn. Also the statement that the PC Suite support for 6.85 has been withdrawn since the introduction of ver 7.0 is an incorrect statement. Once I had 6.85 installed I received from Nokia the updated version 6.86.9.3. So you are absolutely wrong. Also the updater still works (obviously) still with Windows 2000 SP4. I also refer to the official website of Nokia: http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4777088 Please read it carefully!!
So again your statement is incorrect.
Finally please go to the following website from Nokia: http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4630250
This gives you a listing of all the available Nokia's and those that are going to be launched in the near future and their PC Suites and compatabilities. I hope you will find that there lower versions are still referred to. So also that statement of yours is incorrect.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

Updates offered by Microsoft for Windows 2000 are largely limited to bug fixes and security patches, you will not see any true 'updates' in terms of new features or development. Yes, you can reinstall it and and regain the back catalogue of 'updates', you get what you are entitled to under the non-expiring End User Licence Agreement - no more, no less.

I never said that "PC Suite support for 6.85 has been withdrawn since the introduction of ver 7.0", my exact words were "PC Suite support for Windows 2000 ceased from version 7.0" - in other words, PC Suite does not offically support Windows 2000 from version 7.0. The status of previous versions of PC Suite is unchanged, 7.0 and all subsequent versions will not be 2000-compatible.

It can, if one wanted to be really pedantic, be argued that support for 6.85 has been removed. If you have a problem using any previous version of PC Suite, Nokia will still help you; but if you have any problems getting them to work with a phone that is compatible with the latest version, you will be advised to update to the latest version. You got 6.86.9.3 when it was current, the Nokia web site offers only the latest version compatible for your specific model - and unless you have an ancient phone that has been out of production for some time, the latest version for your phone is likely to be 7.0. Older PC Suites are available only for those older models.

I also never said that the updater didn't work with 2000 - I said that it hasn't undergone a major redevelopment like PC Suite has, and that therefore it does still work with 2000. Reading carefully is something that I always do.

What the page http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4630250 tells you is which is the latest version of PC Suite for your phone, and which functions of that PC Suite work with that phone. In the case of some very old models it does offer older PC Suites which are compatible with older Windows versions, but no recent, current of forthcoming phones are tested for such backwards compatibility.

The original 6220 (an old S40 model from four or five years ago) is compatible with version 7.0, but you can also get version 5.8 for Windows 98 from a link to the 6220 support pages. The 6220 Classic with sat-nav is a completely new S60 phone for which you can download only PC Suite 7.0 - same number, but two completely different products.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

im using pc suite v 6.86.9.3 on windows 2000
and that works fine, though if i try and use the software updater (v 1.4.39) to update my N95s firmware, it says theres a new version of the updater available, that i need to install first before i can try the update process, it then downloads the 23.7meg installer file, and then attempts to install it, but fails straight away, saying its not compatible with my operating system. pretty rubbish really! there are still loads of people using win2000 and as far as i know its not really all that different to winXP. im really disappointed they have removed support for windows2000 in the software updater...
Please use plain text.