Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Process of updating painful!

ironjack

Process of updating painful!

I cannot believe how painfully frustrating it is to update my phone. The process has so far been:

Had to get my phone unlocked as there is some miscomunication with Nokia and service providers. This takes 48 hours. Then I had to obtain another sim card and unlock the phone.

You cant just update it by pressing a button; you have to update it via a computer connection. I already have PC suite, Ovi AND Nokia Updater but still had to mess around, and a computer reset, for the 103mb update... for the updater! Plugged my phone in and had to again wait for 5 minutes whilst PC suite checked if the "phone PC Suite" was up to date with the "computer pc suite".

Finally got to the point where i could update my phone and guess what...? It failed for any number of reasons and i have to try again at a later stage.

Is this really necesary? Can't it just be a button saying update somewhere in the phone?

Sorry for the rant! I just get so frustrated with the N97 and Nokia etc so easily now.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

You can check if the update has been released on FOTA - firmware over the air. Diall *#0000# and it might be possible for you to update in a easier way on your device.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

I already have PC suite, Ovi AND Nokia Updater

Conflict

jje

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Ovi + NSU can cause conflicts depending on the PC setup. Then you have to address if you have registry errors for installing both.

Failures for updates are also common depending on AV. BitDefender, NOD32 and Symantec/Norton are all known to cause problems and need manual tweaking to get Nokia software to work properly.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
ironjack

thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys. im gonna have another go in a min to update and try messing with the settings. like i say though, very frustrating. i used to think nokia was brilliant but it seems these smart phones, and the ability to keep up with apple, have been too much for them. they seem to be failing at every hurdle now... lol i sound so bitter!

Please use plain text.
ironjack

Uninstalled everything. Reinstalled ovi. Tried to update via ovi, half through update it disconnected my phone and crashed. My phone now doesn't work and ovi suite has no useful info.

What an absolute joy this has been so far. Thanks again Nokia!

I understand that you poor nokia reps have had enough of the likes of us nokia n97 users, but as u can plainly see i am in a difficult position. Why not help me!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Ah, that's bad. Wasn't the fw update released for you through FOTA?

Now that youre phone is "dead" due to a failed fw update you should see this guide by Psychomania in the "ppol of knowledge" section: /t5/Pool-of-Knowledge/Recovering-from-a-failed-firmware-update/td-p/398147

This will tell you what to do.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.