Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Public facing, formal bug reporting system: No...

Counsellor
jaredmorgs

Re: Public facing, formal bug reporting system: Nokia, your customers demand it!

shyam0610 wrote:
Its always good & better to troubleshoot ur self, googling is the best way. All you need is little knowledge & know how.. then u can make ur phone work d way u need..

Hi shyam0610
I agree that doing some investigation yourself is vital when troubleshooting a problem.  Forums, like this one, are invaluable for finding out information.
But what happens when you exhaust all options, and are still at a dead end?  You want to report your issue formally, because you want to *ensure* that the company knows about the issue.
And what happens if you aren't technically-minded?  I know many phone users who "just want it to work" and don't have the technical knowledge to troubleshoot their problem.
This is why we are trying to advocate for a bug tracking system that customers can search on and raise issues in directly.  
Cheers
Jared 

Nokia N8
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
shyam0610

Re: Public facing, formal bug reporting system: Nokia, your customers demand it!

lordlarry_it wrote:

shyam0610 wrote:
Its always good & better to troubleshoot ur self, googling is the best way. All you need is little knowledge & know how.. then u can make ur phone work d way u need..

It is for this reason too that forums are plenty of hacks & mods (sorry for these bad words)...most of them only exist to make up some deficiencies or bugs still/never resolved. This because often a manufacturer choice (for obvious competitivity & costs reasons), to move develop to newest handset and leave the older at their destiny...I believe that a proactive intervention, which establishes a dialogue and involve the manufacturer in relation to certain issues, may be useful to everyone. So, why give up your search on the network or "googling", even for problems that can not be solved (typically bugs)? Why wait the train of develop of a handset has gone?

I'll give you an example, my 5800 with the latest firmware has lost calendar with the new contact bar ... look around, did not seem a choice widely shared by the users ... yet been taken...consequently, there is already who is moving the forums to try to modify and implement this important lost functionality...why do not ask to Nokia? Pheraps because there is not an official, open reporting system...so, I think we're here for this too, even to combat this bad phenomenon.

If Nokia acquire more streamlined and efficient user requests, we would all be happier and products even more valuable and competitive.

I trust Nokia and I am sure we will arrive a compromise.

The existence of this forum shows great willingness, trustworthiness and professionalism, worthy of a major manufacturer in the world that always stands, like Nokia.

Best Regards,

L

Even i love nokia, i'm die hard fan of it bro.I ve updated mine to new firmware but i never lost any contacts or calender. did you take backup, if so u could ve restored it right?I agree with you bugs are always a partof software release & thats y every company release new version which fixes bugs/adds up new feature & some makes our wallet heavy.

-Sam
--------------------
Hit Kudos to show your appreciation.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
shyam0610

[ Edited ]
@Jared-

Your view is good, but what about nokia? do they respond for all these bugs? how many mobiles failed to do so in market, if they could ve paid some heed to our views, those mobile users would be satisfied with nokia for the money they shed.

all they wanted is to release new models handset and withdraw the old one.

For example the new 5230, after its launch in india they released 5233 which doesnt ve 3g support, but that 5233 is doing good rounds in market as its cheaper compared to 5230. So nokia drastically reduced support for 5230 in point of sales.

Message Edited by shyam0610 on 01-Feb-2010 05:05 AM
-Sam
--------------------

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

shyam0610 wrote:

[...]

Even i love nokia, i'm die hard fan of it bro.I ve updated mine to new firmware but i never lost any contacts or calender. did you take backup, if so u could ve restored it right?I agree with you bugs are always a partof software release & thats y every company release new version which fixes bugs/adds up new feature & some makes our wallet heavy.

Hi shyam,

if you use the contact homescreen (20 contacts "carousel" bar), you do not have any calendar.

With previous "4 contacts" homescreen you had the calendar too...this is not a backup/restore problem, but a choice Nokia made: now we have 20 contacts in the homescreen, without calendar.

This is a point of this discussion too: Did Nokia a study or ask its customers if they were still interested to have the calendar in the new contact's homescreen? I think no, because if you surf in the web, you find a lot of people who like the new homescreen, but is unsatisfied because they lost the calendar...for me this is like a bug, because it is a lost capability...so, having a formal bug reporting system could help Nokia & customers to track problems encountered with a particular sw version of their handset...

Best Regards,

L

Message Edited by lordlarry_it on 01-Feb-2010 12:12 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
shyam0610

Yes bro, now only i tried that & found its missing.i think it would be better if they can provide us the calender instead of providing 20 contacts.
-Sam
--------------------

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jaredmorgs

shyam0610 wrote:

@Jared-

Your view is good, but what about nokia? do they respond for all these bugs? how many mobiles failed to do so in market, if they could ve paid some heed to our views, those mobile users would be satisfied with nokia for the money they shed.

all they wanted is to release new models handset and withdraw the old one.

For example the new 5230, after its launch in india they released 5233 which doesnt ve 3g support, but that 5233 is doing good rounds in market as its cheaper compared to 5230. So nokia drastically reduced support for 5230 in point of sales.

Message Edited by shyam0610 on 01-Feb-2010 05:05 AM

Hi shyam0610

I got a response through OVI Suite for all bugs that I raised.  They noted that the issues I raised for the screen gesture issue I'm experiencing have been recorded in the system for future patch releases.  

I agree with you that some type of poll, or surveymonkey survey for customers would be a great move on Nokia's part.  Ask the customers what proposed features the would like to see.  If they are removing features, ask customers what impact that would have on them.  

This type of communication between Nokia and direct users would help the company make informed decisions about what feature to include or deprecate in a firmware revision. 

It also helps when you get a response from Nokia Care, that you put the case number into the forum post.  See my other post about screen gesture issues in the Software Updates forum.  By doing this, it allows others to reference the issue and add detail to the case that Nokia has in their internal bug system if they want to.

Cheers

Nokia N8
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have given  Kudos  

Although i did start a thred to do this /discussions/board/message?board.id=swupdate&message.id=68316#M68316

but hay we Just need it

Nokia we want to stop NEGATIVE comments  and bad publicity for you  instead we want to give you quality feedback about bugs.  This is a win win deal COME ON !!!!!

There should also be an official  WISH LIST (internet radio, home network, Skype etc)  

If it was my company would you like "contructive feedback"  or "loads of negative bad publicity" 

thats a really tough question  NOT

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jaredmorgs

pressure wrote:

I have given  Kudos  

Although i did start a thred to do this /discussions/board/message?board.id=swupdate&message.id=68316#M68316

but hay we Just need it

Nokia we want to stop NEGATIVE comments  and bad publicity for you  instead we want to give you quality feedback about bugs.  This is a win win deal COME ON !!!!!

There should also be an official  WISH LIST (internet radio, home network, Skype etc)  

If it was my company would you like "contructive feedback"  or "loads of negative bad publicity" 

thats a really tough question  NOT

Hi pressure

Seems that everyone who reads this post has also thought about the issue a lot, or is generally in favor of some type of feedback tool, other than the forum.  

I like the suggestion in your thread about some type of "one click" customer tool in OVI Suite or on the Nokia Support page.  I think that feedback method would be easy from a customer perspective.

Cheers

jaredmorgs 

Nokia N8
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hello, just to inform you that a user made a useful unofficial bug tracking system. I hope that Nokia will take care of the informations users reports there and I invite you to follow and report your problems there and try to bring weight and attention to Nokia of this useful system.

Here is the link...I hope this topic will not be deleted, thank you: dev.an3k.de/bugtracker

Please use plain text.
Professor
zitseng

[ Edited ]

I think while a public facing bug reporting system is great, there are many other logistic and administrative factors to consider. For example, you don't typically see a company like, say, Microsoft, having a public bug reporting/discussion forum. They need support centre folks to front the "bug reporting", and let issues be escalated through internal channels.

I've been working in an organization where our user population sometimes also "scream" for attention in a public discussion forum. Of course we are very tiny compared to what Nokia has to support, but even in our case, we decline to provide official support on such channels, insisting that all requests that expect to be taken seriously to be routed through a support center. (Then again, this is an internal service, we don't see a commercial product in the sense that Nokia does...)

So, Nokia, it is really good if you can engage your users directly. I think right now, the unofficial (I presume) involvement of some of your employees is a good start.

Please use plain text.
Sage

jjegan wrote:

Problem with bug reports is that Nokia will have to trawl through millions of posts where the bug is not a bug but lack of user knowledge . Repeated time after time as most users dont even use the search feature  on this forum .

jje

Hence why the likes of Nokia use a regional and tiered support system, so you go through front line support to weed out the "user is an idiot" calls, and escalate through the tiers for where there is an issue.

Problem is the visibility of the support options is not that great, and from experience the response can be poor if you contact them through electronic means. Having to go through local support also seems to result in not always getting through to the right people.

A better option I find is where companies operate an electronic ticket system. You raise the fault online, it's assigned a ticket and you are given a login to view the ticket, it's status and responses. I've seen this in use with several companies and it seems to work quite well. At the very least it can give you some confidence someone is listening to you, so long as the tickets are updated with some kind of response. Though some companies now offer a "user is an idiot" front line automated system which makes you jump through a lot of hoops before you actually get to raise a fault.

The option of showing all known bugs is just unworkable and probably undesireable. At least not in the internal form corporates tend to track bugs. They would need to be made high level customer friendly, have internal sensitive discussion & technical stuff removed, and so on. It makes more sense with an open source system as most the people looking at the bugs are going to be developers who work on and understand the code. And then as pointed out, there are potential legal issues.

No, I think the ticket system is the best way. That's my 2p.

P.S. I've been finding Nokia's twitter feeds to be quite useful. In some cases they are monitoring twitter for people who mention certain problems and try to help out, or you can send a message to their feed to ask a question. You may be talking more directly to someone related to the development of that area, than just some front line support. e.g. there's one for ovi and I had problems with the new ovi map, and they sorted me out quick. Similar, there's one for Nokia Messaging.

E72-1 UK CV 052.005
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jaredmorgs

Have you got the specific twitter IDs you're subscribed to?  They could be useful for others.  I'll be signing up.  Although it is hard to put a full description of the issue in 144 characters :smileywink:

Nokia N8
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

There's quite a lot now, but these are the ones I use:

nokia - Main Nokia twitter account

nokconv - Nokia Conversations

Nokia_UK - Nokia UK (there are accounts for various other countries)

nokiabetalabs - Nokia Beta Labs

PointandFind - Nokia Point & Find

nokiamessaging - Nokia Messaging team

ovibynokia - Nokia Ovi

OviStore - Ovi Store

And these are more developer ones...

forumnokia - Forum Nokia

qtbynokia - Qt Web Team

OviDeveloper - Ovi Developer

OviPublish - Nokia Ovi Publish

NokiaResearch - Nokia Research Center

Some others on Nokia's own list here: http://twitter.com/nokia/nokia

E72-1 UK CV 052.005
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Hence why the likes of Nokia use a regional and tiered support system, so you go through front line support to weed out the "user is an idiot" calls, and escalate through the tiers for where there is an issue.

Problem is the visibility of the support options is not that great, and from experience the response can be poor if you contact them through electronic means. Having to go through local support also seems to result in not always getting through to the right people.

Weeding out the idiots is i agree a huge problem but i am of the opinion that Nokias understanding of customer support is very basic .

This forum needs the addition like many other manufactures forums of intervention by Tech Support staff  on problems that are not resolved quickly .

jje

Please use plain text.