Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Soft reset vs Hard reset

Contributor

Soft reset vs Hard reset

Hi.
Can any one tell me the the difference between doing a soft reset and hard reset?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
shayesta

Re: Soft reset vs Hard reset

nothing really different. soft reset n hard rest are just same more or less. hard reset restores ur phone to factory settings so it wipes out all data eg txt, images, videos, settings stored on the phones C:
If you find my post useful then click on
Kudos!
Nokia N96 (v20.050 / RM-247)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

[ Edited ]

17-Aug-2008 03:04 PM
shayesta wrote:
nothing really different. soft reset n hard rest are just same more or less. hard reset restores ur phone to factory settings so it wipes out all data eg txt, images, videos, settings stored on the phones C:

So does a soft reset (*#7370#).

Only a revert to factory defaults (*#7780#) erases nothing but user settings, leaving user data (messages, photos etc.) intact in the phone's central memory.

A hard reset (power up with "call", "3" and "*" pressed) differs from a soft reset in that it can be performed even if the phone doesn't start properly. I believe that it cleans deeper than the soft reset as well but I couldn't say exactly how.

None of the procedures erases anything in mass storage.

Message Edited by grschinon on 17-Aug-2008 03:14 PM

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
shayesta

try doing a soft reset with some data on ur phone n den do a hard reset with the same data on ur phone and u will notice that they are both the same. they do not wipe nothing off the memory card.

soft reset is for phones that work so if u get any mess up/faults u intend to do a soft reset.

hard reset is when the phone just hangs does not startup eg. white screen/white screen with nokia logo.

both are the same. no difference at all
Kudos!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

17-Aug-2008 03:16 PM
shayesta wrote:
try doing a soft reset with some data on ur phone n den do a hard reset with the same data on ur phone and u will notice that they are both the same. they do not wipe nothing off the memory card.

Perhaps you could point out where I said that the mass storage would be erased?

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
shayesta

@ grschinon
no im just saying lol...
Kudos!
Please use plain text.
Sage
nessalpha

[ Edited ]
Can we use *#7370# to other nokia phones aside from Nseries phones??? and Is it (*#7370#) applicable to all symbian phones aside from nokia????? pls reply and explain very well.... thanx.

Message Edited by nessalpha on 19-Aug-2008 04:50 AM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

*#7370# should work on all S60 phones, or at least S60v2 and later.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
valahian

I think is a different story:a soft reset clean apps that you installed on your mobile.Or a hard reset is clean adobe quickoffice etc preinstalled.Make a soft reset.
VALAHIANSS
Please use plain text.
Sage
nessalpha

1. can anybody tell me the procedure on the hard reset,, ( * + 3 + green),,
2. can we use these soft and hard reset to other nokia s60 phones only? I mean, how about to some other brand of S60 phones? pls comment on this,,, thanks
Please use plain text.
Sage
genesis

There are diferences with a hard reset and soft reset, hard reset (3+*+Call) erases everything from the phone, messages, images, videos, contacts, installed apps, etc, etc, the soft reset (*#7370#) does the same thing apart from it also resets the wallet code (if the phone contains a wallet) and erases it's contents, it also resets the phone securety code back to the Nokia default of 12345.

The code (*#7780#) to reset factory defaults does exactly the same as resetting factory defaults directly from the phones settings menu.
Phone: Nokia 5800 ExpressMusic (RM-356)
Firmware: 40.0.005
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hmm, I'm having some problems with my N80 and I was thinking about doing a soft or hard reset, but perhaps I should reinstall the latest firmware available for the phone... because I doubt that a soft/hard reset equals a full reinstallation, right?

Any ideas or objections or tips...? Or info on next firmware for N80 (if any...)? :smileywink:

//Anders, .se
N80
RM92 5.0719.0.2

-- Soon N82... --
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

A full software reinstallation is preferable to a hard reset since you will benefit from any updates that have occurred since the software was last installed on your phone. In order to find out if you can upgrade, visit this page:

http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_528996

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
prathamesh1

*#7370# is hard reset, it erases everythin on the phone except the data in external memory. 

Soft reset only resets the settings. 

Please use plain text.