Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Software Updater Stating 'no update available'...

Contributor

Software Updater Stating 'no update available' N73

N73 v2.0628 - trying to update phone software with NSU(as having problems with phone freezing) but it states there is no update available... I have spoken to ClubNokia who inform me that there is an update, v3.0704 and I should re-try NSU today. Still saying no update available? Whats up with this software program?
Please help, thanks

v2.0628
RM133
n73 (11)
Please use plain text.
Professor

Re: Software Updater Stating 'no update available' N73

Are you sure that's the right product code as 0537796 does not come back as a N73 according to my information.
First use the search to see if your question has already been answered...
Secondly I will not knowingly assist in breaking the forum rules.
My information is always changing, what I post at the time is usually true.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

oh ! number is 539976 , perhaps this was the problem all along?
Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]
0539976 is a o2 UK branded N73 and the update to 3.0638.0.0.1 has only just been released to Nokia service centres and is not available via the NSU at this time.

From the sounds of it you might not be in the UK and your N73 seems to have been modified, any update using the NSU will more than likely restore the original o2 UK branding and languages when it becomes available.

Message Edited by ray_s on 09-Mar-2007
01:20 PM

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi Thanks for your quick reply. I am in the Uk.
Only just got the phone from o2 and to my knowledge it has not been modified. ClubNokia said there has been 2 updates since the software version on my phone.
How can I sort out problem of freezing?
Thanks again
Please use plain text.
Professor

Was the (11) a typo?

To get the 3.0638.0.0.1 update you'll either have to take it to a service centre or wait until they add it to the NSU whenever that maybe.

Any later versions are not available for it yet.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

N73-1 (dont know where I got (11) from. thks again.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

NSU says:-

Please use plain text.
Advisor

NSU says:-

Product   Phone  Network   Country  Software Version
539101    N73    Unbranded Euro 1   3.0704.1.0.1
539976    N73    O2        UK       No software available
541044    N73    Vodafone  UK       3.0638.0.0.1
541149    N73    Orange    UK       3.0704.1.0.1
541312    N73    T-Mobile  UK       3.0638.0.0.1
541479    N73    Three     UK       3.0638.0.0.1

O2 say they released new firmware for the N73 on 12th Jan which isn't exactly only just ray_s...

Nokia also tried to tell me they don't guarantee to update all N73 product codes via NSU despite there having been a message saying they did on the software availablity page.

Shocking ineptitude from both O2 and Nokia. The v2 firmware phones should have been recalled instead of relying upon customers being patient or too non-technical to notice they don't work.

A
Please use plain text.
Professor

[ Edited ]

12-Mar-2007
02:27 PM
a1an_g wrote:
O2 say they released new firmware for the N73 on 12th Jan which isn't exactly only just ray_s...

First off 0539101 isn't Euro 1, it's UK CV SP.

Second off rarely does anyone at a network have any idea about firmware releases.

The compile date for the update for 0539976 to 3.0638.0.0.1 is February 28th 2007 and was released a couple of weeks later.

EDIT: Toned down arguementative stance. Keep this constructive please.

Message Edited by serenity on 12-Mar-2007
03:28 PM

Please use plain text.
Advisor

If the networks rarely know what's going on why is Nokia's first response "We cannot release the firmware until it has been approved by the network" then? Only after you show them the letter from the O2 Complaints Advisory service stating that the software was officially approved on the 12th Jan 2007(I'd attach a pdf but this system won't allow it) do they actually agree that it was given to them.

My text translation for 0539101 came from another posting on these fora. As you very well know Nokia won't tell anyone what all the codes actually mean. Which is also stupid obfuscation and security by obscurity. It doesn't change the fact I was intending to illustrate which is that O2 branded phones are the only ones in the UK currently unsupported by NSU and have been, despite the software being available, for over two months now.

Since you seem to be the fount of all wisdom on here please answer the question I've been asking Nokia via email and phone for the last month:

"When will the new firmware for O2 branded N73 phones be made available for use via NSU?"

Not a difficult question but I suspect you will, as Nokia's so-called "CareLine" has so far, answer a different question rather than give a customer a straight answer.

A
Please use plain text.
Professor

12-Mar-2007
03:27 PM
a1an_g wrote:
If the networks rarely know what's going on why is Nokia's first response "We cannot release the firmware until it has been approved by the network" then? Only after you show them the letter from the O2 Complaints Advisory service stating that the software was officially approved on the 12th Jan 2007(I'd attach a pdf but this system won't allow it) do they actually agree that it was given to them.

No the first and second line staff replying to your queries rarely know what's going on, since o2 UK's email response team is based in India they would tend to have less of a clue.

Equally I could share my supporting documentation, since it's stamped confidential I chose not to.

12-Mar-2007
a1an_g wrote:
My text translation for 0539101 came from another posting on these fora. As you very well know Nokia won't tell anyone what all the codes actually mean. Which is also stupid obfuscation and security by obscurity. It doesn't change the fact I was intending to illustrate which is that O2 branded phones are the only ones in the UK currently unsupported by NSU and have been, despite the software being available, for over two months now.

It's not the only UK N73 not supported, Virgin Mobile's isn't either and has no update so far.

12-Mar-2007
a1an_g wrote:
Since you seem to be the fount of all wisdom on here please answer the question I've been asking Nokia via email and phone for the last month

Never said I was.

12-Mar-2007
a1an_g wrote:
"When will the new firmware for O2 branded N73 phones be made available for use via NSU?"

No idea.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

1. At least I got an official letter with a release date from O2. Still waiting for someone to call me from Nokia (as promised in their last email).

2. If its confidential ray you shouldn't be using it to try to make others seem uninformed on here. Isn't that also breaking your NDA?

3. Thanks for the info on Virgin, I'll add it to my watch list -- don't suppose you have the product code for me? :-) I expect its confidential ... until I look inside one in the shop on Saturday.

4. True, you never said you were an expert. I apologise for being rude, please put it down to my frustration.

A
Please use plain text.
Professor

12-Mar-2007
06:16 PM
a1an_g wrote:
1. At least I got an official letter with a release date from O2. Still waiting for someone to call me from Nokia (as promised in their last email).

Try and let us know how you get on.

12-Mar-2007
a1an_g wrote:
2. If its confidential ray you shouldn't be using it to try to make others seem uninformed on here. Isn't that also breaking your NDA?

I am not, nor have ever been employed by Nokia.

I post what I can to aid fellow users because as you have found out information isn't usually forthcoming and can be contradictory or just plain wrong, there is a limit to what I can post and it is by no means sanctioned.

12-Mar-2007
a1an_g wrote:
3. Thanks for the info on Virgin, I'll add it to my watch list -- don't suppose you have the product code for me? :-) I expect its confidential ... until I look inside one in the shop on Saturday.

As above, can only go so far and cannot volunteer codes any more.

12-Mar-2007
a1an_g wrote:
4. True, you never said you were an expert. I apologise for being rude, please put it down to my frustration.

You are not the only one, we are all tired and frustrated with all the red tape and bureaucracy between Network Operators and Nokia surrounding firmware updates.

Hope it gets added to the NSU soon, if not then there's always a service centre. :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Its been very interesting watching the discussions between the two of you. You are both very knowledgable. I hope at some point Nokia themselves will actually read these and honour us with their own comments.
Maybe they will even get the update available on NSU.

But right now I am still not able to use NSU to update my 'o2' phone, that's basically it I guess !
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Yes cl4re, I agree with you completely. We need proper feedback from Nokia, in a perfect world we would get some sort of O2 input too, as in an awnswer to the question: "Why are you allowing Nokia to get away with not publishing your new, approved, firmware for the N73 and **bleep** off your customers O2?".

I can't remember a situation where two companies in supposedly close collaboration have been able to jointly alienate so much of their customer base in one go.

A
Please use plain text.
Professor

Guys try the NSU again, think it's available now.
Please use plain text.
kapil_bsp

Hey try to do this:

Got to the support page of nokia.

http://europe.nokia.com/A4162149

Choose your model.
Then click the link for phone software update.

Then click on the link to check the software availability.
http://europe.nokia.com/A4305060

Then Enter your product code.

It will tell you if there any updates are available and After that they will give you the latest NSU also.

I hope this will help ypu.

-Kapil
-Kapil
N73
v 4.0735.3.0.2
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks ray_s. It says version 3.0638.0.0.1 is available for product code 0539976 (O2 branded N73). Not the most up-to-date version going but a good start. I'll let you know how I get on after the update (need to fully charge and backup my phone first).

A
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Ray S and A1an g, thanks for your help on this.

I have updated my 'o2' N73 and all seems to be working well.

Looks like someone at Nokia was actually watching this string and we made a difference. Maybe?

:smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.