Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Split screen keyboard in Conversations app

Contributor
sunspot84

Split screen keyboard in Conversations app

[ Edited ]

Reposting some information I found on the net, I've tried it and it works.

For those with splitscreen qwerty keyboard in messaging, etc, but not in conversations after applying the Symbian Anna update, there's a solution:

Open application manager and uninstall conversation appl and conversation server. Then you get splitscreen qwerty in conversations!

Thanks to the person who originally discovered this.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: Split screen keyboard in Conversations app

i tryed it in my E7 it works great ,,,,thanks
Please use plain text.
jijiejohn

my n8 cannot get him, how to get him?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
James_T

[ Edited ]

Thanks for this information. I am a little bit afraid to try this out. What happens after removing these two apps? Are conversations still working normally? How can you get the apps back? Are they reinstalled by using software update function? I can't believe that two apps have just one destructive function of making split screen unavailable. So something must be missing afterwards...? Are both apps permanently removed even after reboot and software update?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Here's something interesting, I did a fresh install. However there is no such thing as conversation app and conversation server to uninstall. Using N8 22.014 Product code 059b656

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

from @nokiamy To all Symbian users. There are some country exceptions to the split-view functionality, Malaysia being one of them. Nokia is working to build support for the feature for all the affected countries with the next Symbian software update. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
James_T

I heard this line several times today. This sounds like it is related to the FW itself. On the other hand the above information sounds like it can easily be fixed by uninstalling those two apps. And it is very interesting that donchichisays that these apps are not initially installed. This suggests they are not needed...? But where are they coming from?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bipul_fx

[ Edited ]

These apps have been there since PR1.0 and have been upgraded via Software update like App update 1.0 and so on.

This is the latest version which get upgraded from the Anna package. Now APAC countires may use other languages than english and maybe there was some conflict with it.

I can confirm that Removing both files do get splitscreen functionality to APAC users and if you just use English as the language you shouldn't have any issue after removing them.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sunspot84

I think the files are leftover from the previous firmware being replaced.

I've always had a shortcut to conversations on your homescreen, prior to deleting these two files, it would show the old conversations icon even after the Anna update. And no split screen view in conversations view.

After deleting the two files and doing a restart, the new Anna style icon for conversations appears instead and I now have split screen keyboard view.

I guess the leftover files were preventing the Anna version of conversations from being used. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
James_T

I can happily confirm: uninstalling those two apps and a reboot finally activated split screen for my German Anna installation! And also I confirm that before I had the old dialog symbol from PR 1.0 while after uninstalling and rebooting I now have a new Anna symbol for dialogs.

BUT: Swype is obviously NOT supporting split screen at the moment! While it does support portrait QWERTY there is no split screen even after the uninstallation procedure. It is not necessary to uninstall swype, deactivating it suffices.

Read here: LINK

Swype seems to confirm this behaviour. There might be an updated version of swype.

So we have to distinguish different problems. It seems officially confirmed that APAC installations of Anna with Chinese character support do not support split screen at all (but may do in the future).

For other versions of Anna the problem can be solved by uninstalling those two apps mentioned above.

At last - Swype does not support split screen at the current moment. Hopefully they fix this soon (I NEED Swype, it's just the best type of input).

Please use plain text.
Contributor

wow thanks for the help! i was very disappointed when i updated anna on august 18 and found out there no split screen in the conversations view.. that was the feature i was looking forward to the most... i hope deleting those apps wont corrupt the OS... but still i'll take the risk.. i'll just bring it to the care center for a software fix if it crashes...since i'm a regular visitor there because of the purple screen issue.. i'm finally satisfied with my n8 because they replaced it with a brand new purple tint free phone and now symbian anna with split screen!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Bskr4s

Worked for me, THANX

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jerrickp

Thanks for the info, it worked on my C7! now i have split screen messaging on the conversations. THanks a lot guys!

Please use plain text.
Contender

Thank you so much :smileyhappy:

it Worked perfectly 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
leinaday

[ Edited ]

Nokia Thanks for the UPDATE firstly, it is looking v good and My GPS worked somehow even though I reported malfunction yesterday. Time heals after all, and reboots.

Nokia I hope you can provide a timely update for all nokians, Thanks!

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Post edited to remove reference to an unauthorised Nokia procedure that could invalidate the warranty of a Nokia device.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
swa10

Swype is working in portrait in C7 but not in N8 after Anna update!
Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star to the left. Thank you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dodo68

but I couldn't find conversation app and conversation server in my application manager ...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dodo68

yessss. me too. couldn't find these 2 apps

Please use plain text.
Advisor
snakeraven

:smileysurprised:can any1 tell me how to get splt screen conversations activated after anna update? i hve been told that deleteing 2 conversations apps in manager fixes this? is this true? im in uk on o2

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
James_T

[ Edited ]

snakeraven wrote:

:smileysurprised:can any1 tell me how to get splt screen conversations activated after anna update? i hve been told that deleteing 2 conversations apps in manager fixes this? is this true? im in uk on o2

Why don't you read the thread in which you post?

A hint: try the opening post.

Please use plain text.