Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Study of software update quality - a real shoc...

Advisor
tongsatriani

Re: Study of software update quality - your help is needed!

[ Edited ]

i emailed some feedback to the email address provided by thread starter but it was rejected with this message:

"We remind you that we are unable to enter into individual correspondence on this or any other subject via this mailbox.

Should you need help with any matter concerning your Nokia device, we invite you to post your questions to our online community at www.nokia.com/discussions or contact your local Nokia Care line."

May I know the purpose of such email address being provided to address any issues?

Anyways, the below was my feddback:

1)      Device name

Nokia E7-00

2)      IMEI of the device (found by keying ‘ *#06# ‘ from the homescreen.)
         35*************

3)      SW update method which was used

over-the-air software update

4)      Symptoms after the update
Internet connection is on 2-3 seconds intermittent auto connect mode after exiting the Social app. Even if the connection has been disconnected manually, it will auto connect again & again, eternally! So, we are online all the way! This happens to everyone on E7 after the Anna update.

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Please be informed that contact and personal information such as your phone's IMEI are not allowed to be posted in this forum.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Dipso

Internet connection is on 2-3 seconds intermittent auto connect mode after exiting the Social app. Even if the connection has been disconnected manually, it will auto connect again & again, eternally! So, we are online all the way! This happens to everyone on E7 after the Anna update.

I have the same issue and reported it to the mail adress in question.

Please use plain text.
TW143

What is OVI anyway? (Sic) an Itunes copy cat. OK, but it is so blatantly a sales tool, and as near as i can tell, mostly for things I have absolutely no interest in - You know what kind of phone I have why not at least show me something I might be interested in. But to the question:

Earlier on, Nokia Software Updater was a neat tight little utility. Now it sadly thinks that OVI is running when OVi is not running. (Of course, OVI has remained in memory, hogging space and simply put - ill-behaved). OVI - Annoying OVI.

I am a poor American Nokia E7 user, a Lover of the 9500, and the E90 and a complainer of the E7 - so the Anna upgrade has been a deeply held desire since Steve Litchfield wrote it up a bit this spring - indicating it would be ready in June/July.

This particular roll-out has been quite uninspiring - and in the end it is the same complaint as everyone else. No definitive statement from someone who knows what is going on. One gets the sense that there is a deep sense of fear of losing one's job for saying the wrong thing. That coupled with what appears to be a management mindset that is typical of some arrogant IT departments which says we know what's important for you, and we'll run things the way we want, when we want, how we want, and explanations are hardly necessary, because you will just bloody well wait until we "important" overworked, underappreciated folks do the work we need to get done.

Fine - if that is the case.. who sets that tone and why? On the other hand - many of us are willing -up to a point, to be patient if we could just get some honest, direct and reasonable answers about what your real problems, challenges and obstacles are. And it is here that the failure to communicate becomes so aggravating. Where is the "official" set of statements from Nokia to the user community that we can rely on?

Please use plain text.
Employee
laitos

tongsatriani wrote:

i emailed some feedback to the email address provided by thread starter but it was rejected with this message:

"We remind you that we are unable to enter into individual correspondence on this or any other subject via this mailbox.

Should you need help with any matter concerning your Nokia device, we invite you to post your questions to our online community at www.nokia.com/discussions or contact your local Nokia Care line."

Don't mind the automatic response, the email was still received and handled properly so no worries there.

Btw. thanks for the feedback so far! I just got back from my holidays and I'm delighted to see so many responses in the mailbox. I'll start going through those now.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
drdoud1

[ Edited ]

1)      Device name

Nokia N8 00

2)      IMEI of the device (found by keying ‘ *#06# ‘ from the homescreen.)

3)      SW update method which was used

Ovi Suite,

Nokia Software Updater  for (1/2, and 2/2) 

4)      Symptoms after the update

arabic language lost, as phone and input language

Moderator's Note: IMEI was removed as it is unwise to publish unique serial numbers on a public web forum.

Please use plain text.
Thomas415

New icons are AWFUL, horizontal qwerty keyboard is useless and not enough big font even if is set on big. So Anna is realy bad update, Thumb down. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
purppleen

Hi laitos, I have a three questions for you and I will appreciate so much your straight answers please:

What's the process in releasing new mobile firmware in the US? (description please),

What's the usual timing for that process? (step by step if possible)

In what stage of the process is exactly ANNA?

Thanks in advance!:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
meegja

[ Edited ]

Did send mail but also reacting here:

Phone Nokia C6-01

- GPS has gone very bad. Standing still it will pick up signal but when moving the GPS signal is lost the whole time.

- Battery live has been reduced somehow. I can see no apps running but I have to recharge my phone much more often now with Anna.

- Photos taken with phone now have a kind of color haze in them: kind of pink in the middle and blue/green around the edges. Did check on shots I made when phone had Symbian ^3 and the haze is not there!

- Adding of totally useless apps for the general public like Micro$oft Communicator which Nokia somehow sees as important update: remove MS Communicator from phone and Ovi (and update on phone) says there is an "important update". What is SO important about this utterly useless Micro$oft **bleep**?

- No more working apps after Anna. Like the Dutch "Buienradar" app (loosely translated a radar for incoming rain showers and the prediction of showers).

- The default theme's and icons are really SO ugly, like a kid of some Nokia designer made them with colorful pens or something like that. Not really an issue though cause enough free and WAY better looking themes around.

And yes, I did read the Troubleshoot posting and did follow some advise but did not help. (/t5/Software-Updates/Symbian-Anna-Troubleshooting/td-p/1127953)

Please use plain text.
Advisor

After updating to Anna the e7 restarts many times. Only in gsm mode the e7 is stable.

What is the solution to stop rebooting many times in dual mode.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
abhhii

my phone is nokia c6-01 and c7

after updating my phone to anna i cannnot see the log of packet data ..waht to do??

:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nikolay_d

I am quite happy with the update, it works absolutely fine, i enjoy it. The phone has got significantly faster and despite the fact that the QWERTY keyboard is kinda unusable at first, it is easy to get used to it (it took me a few messages). To be honest, I expected serious problems on my N8, however, I am actually quite surprised. 

I do not know why people are experiencing various problems on their phones, however, if you keep your phone tidy and well managed, nothing would happen i guess. Seven of my friends also updated yesterday, most of them having the E7 - all of them seem to be quite happy with the update as well. As for the wi-fi problem, i do not really think this is an issue. It is actually quite well managed because I use faster internet (wi-fi) when at home for example, and have more traffic available through mobile operator when outside the house. Plus it does not seem to consume extra energy and the battery life is just slightly extended than before.

So despite the wi-fi which I like but cannot really explain why it is happening, everything seems to be working fine.

Hope you guys solve your issues.

BR,

Nikolay  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
The0ne

Re: Study of software update quality - a real shock trying nokia 5230 NOT working after upgrade

[ Edited ]

08.09.2011 upade to Anna on Nokia N8

After tha update the whole phone started working slower on all its components
Before it opened the main menu for less then 1 sec , now it takes around 3 sec,

starting apps also takes more time,music player, the settings menu,application manager and more.
Update via PC (ovi suite)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
cynic

Tried update via ovi suite first. Failed twice. Then tried over the air. After several attempts it managed to install anna2of2, but not 1of2. Endless trying to get 1of2 to no avail. Then backed up my personal data and did reset phone to factory defaults with removal of data. Then at last got the updates fine. BUT ONE SERIOUS BUG: phone keeps rebooting when traveling and using navigator in maps. Dangerous as you have to restart application over and over again. Using dual mode with provider kpn in the Netherlands.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pc33533

thanks to blowing me my languages from the N8. After update the Scandinavian language which I been paying money for have gone!

Can this happened with iphone or some other high tech phones except nokia?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n8dummyuser

As an answer, I just copy below my post from the general category, to which I shall add the following: why is now my phone keeping asking me to logon Ovistore any time I switch it on? And anytime it ends with "try later". I've tried to "unsubscribe" in the phone setup, but message was returned. "unable to send message"   Fed up with "updates": to whom belong MY phone?

Short story. After one or two months without doing it (was I lasy?), I had the stupid idea of checking software updates for my N8. Was not at first easy, since the Ovi suite (after upgrading to last version) kept cheking for hours for "software updates". In the end, I managed to have it done. My N8 rebooted, with a sort of "new look", some of the icons having even been changed in such a way, that it was hard to remember to what they pointed (albeit the position seemed to have been respected).

Then, when I looked to the Ovi suite screen, what I saw, is that I needed another update to "Anna" telling me that with Anna, my N8 life will become wonderfully better. But Anna  resited to the attraction of the Ovi suite, and it was impossible to have here come down to my phone.

Alas! I was in a rush. I cheked that my phone was correctly functionning. Apparently, yes. Then I went to a business meeting.

During the meeting, for the purpose of the discussion, I had to check some data I usually carry with me in the phone. I clicked on the excel file "sorry, format not recognized". I tried a word file. Same answer. In a panic, I turned to a .pdf. Same answer.

So next time I'll carry with me a paper copy of these files.

When I had time ahead, I finally managed to updgrade to Anna, with wifi connection (is it cumpulsary, when you buy a N8 phone to have a wifi connection at hand?). Only then, I was able to view again my "office" files.

So my question to the smart Nokia software geeks. Is the N8 I bought with my own monies (not even in a line subscription package), MY phone or YOUR phone, with witch you can play to have some occupation during  the long and  dark winter season in Finland?

By the way, so far, Anna didn't impress me with some extraordinary more wonderfull features, I han those I had with the previous N8 software girl, I was forced to leave.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Mobile : Nokia E6

It having latest firmware , the issues that needs to be fixed in next firmware are as follows which anyone at the forums must endorse

1. Battery Life. 

It needs to be improved , as it was quite better before update to 022.014 update. Battery life needs to fixed that there might be some applications that eats battery alot in background and we consumer does`nt know that. My Nokia E5 and Nokia E72 has far far better battery performance during the same tasks and operations over Nokia E6. An Official Task Manager to Kill the Apps in Background and other stuff must be introduced too.

2. Connectivity

Its one of most important issue too. Well its hard to say why it happens on Nokia E6 ( I have tried 3 Nokia E6 handsets), that the network signals drops frequently , even most of the time the handset is unable to connect to Wifi hotspot (Home) while having 30% Signal Strength, it simply ask to connnect to GPRS of Mobile Operator. very crazy thing.

There must be settings to Wifi TX and RX introduced so that User can Pull maximum TX and RX for better connectivity.

The battery of E6 also drains alot while using wifi, It also needs to be fixed.

Thats what Needs to be seriously fixed and worked about.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
n8dummyuser

No, the issues are not those you are mentonning, but really that you have your hand on the machine, and do what you want with it, without even leaving any choice to the owner.

I await from Nokia, that

1°it guaranties the functionning of the machine as before "updates"

2° It doesn't take advantage of updates to force the user to logon again on "ovistore" (besides it doesn't work) to try to sell him whatever goodies.

Nokia phone users are not hostages of Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Broddy

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

1)      Device name

Nokia N8

2)      IMEI of the device (found by keying ‘ *#06# ‘ from the homescreen.)

3)      SW update method which was used

Ovi Suite

I found out that after the Symbian Anna update on my Nokia N8, when I tried to insert more than one image but the MMS was forced to close and returned to the messaging options. Then, I tried again by adding a new slide on the MMS that I created, the MMS was forced to close again and returned to the messaging options.

It seems that after Symbian Anna update, I can only create one page of MMS with only an image attachment. I've tried several times by switching on and off the phone but still no luck. Anyone has the same problem too?

Bernard

MODERATOR'S NOTE: IMEI was removed as it is unwise to publish unique serial numbers on a public web forum.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Nokia really needs to update nokia E6 Firmware to resolve the bugs regarding no call waiting or divert onscreen notification alongtogether slow UI response at times.

whats wrong guys ?

This feature is always present in any other cellphone but in Symbian Anna or E6 does`nt show if the caller is already on another call or the calling number is on divert.

my nokia E5 can show if the number called is on divert or already on call (Waiting notification)

Nokia kindly reply

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
xdjbx

[ Edited ]

hello,
1- Nokia N8

4- the Nokia N8 needs cpu overclocking as you mentioned before but never did, and the album art quality on the Nokia N8 sucks, one last thing the kinetic scrolling in the needs to be improved espicially on the main menu in case of having many apps at the root folder of the menu, the menu lags whle scrolling.
Thanx alot hope you listen to us :smileyvery-happy:.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: IMEI was removed as it is unwise to publish unique serial numbers on a public web forum. It was also intended to discuss a procedure that can only be done by a Nokia technical expert.

Please use plain text.