Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Study of software update quality - your help is ne...

Employee
laitos

Study of software update quality - your help is needed!

Hi everyone,

We’re conducting a study related to our Symbian software updates and we would value your feedback. The scope of this study is to find out what you have noticed after you have update your phone with a new version of software. We hope to identify possible risks and gaps in our current ways of working and the overall intention is to improve the quality of our software updates.

The devices that we’re interested in for this study are: Nokia N8, Nokia C7-00, Nokia C6-01 and Nokia E7-00. This doesn’t mean that we’re not interested in other devices, but we’ll have to narrow down the scope a little bit for this study.

If you want to help us, please answer the questions below and send the questionnaire via email to software-update.logs@nokia.com

Please note that this e-mail address is only for users participating in this software update study, and whilst we appreciate the time that you take in helping with this, we regret that we are not able to enter into individual correspondence regarding this study, and will also not be able to help with general issues via this mailbox. Should you need help with any matter concerning your Nokia device, we invite you to post your questions to our Nokia Support Discussions community or contact your local Nokia Care line.

1)      Device name

E.g. Nokia E7-00

2)      IMEI of the device (found by keying ‘ *#06# ‘ from the homescreen.)

3)      SW update method which was used

E.g. Ovi Suite, Nokia Software Updater or over-the-air software update

4)      Symptoms after the update

E.g. “Home screen content changed” or similar issues.

Thanks for your support!

Best regards,

Teemu aka. Laitos

Nokia Software Update Management

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
g0rsky

Re: Study of software update quality - your help is needed!

just I'm wounder why you Nokia abandons your FLAGSHIP MODEL yes I reapeat FLAGSHIP n97/mini!

some facts:

1. no updae from 1 year.

2. just one feedback about you're working on firmware

3. no support in future for any applcatons for device

4. regarding to this topic - no support and interest  about what ppl think.

Thanks for a losing  my time/cash and good name of your Comapny.

Best

Mike.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

laitos wrote:

The devices that we’re interested in for this study are: Nokia N8, Nokia C7-00, Nokia C6-01 and Nokia E7-00. This doesn’t mean that we’re not interested in other devices, but we’ll have to narrow down the scope a little bit for this study.

Teemu aka. Laitos

By selecting all with S^3 its clear that Nokia is NOT interested in devices with other platform.. They should have selected one from from EACH platform instead...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mangbecak

lol you might aswell say "what happened to my n95???" or the n82...

sorry to hear 'bout your phone...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Thewonderer

[ Edited ]

uhm......my phone is up-to-date. dont want to reinstall it again. 

Oh wait a sec, here's an idea, release the symbian pr2.0 and i will be extra attentive and write down the noticeable changes.  :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Employee
laitos

farby wrote:

laitos wrote:

Teemu aka. Laitos

By selecting all with S^3 its clear that Nokia is NOT interested in devices with other platform.. They should have selected one from from EACH platform instead...

Other platforms might follow, depends on the amount of feedback we get and how the results look like. Like I said, we simply have to narrow down the scope at the moment.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

OK... Good to know that..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
student_712

model: N8(canada 059D391)

update:smileytongue:r 1.1 

OTA: got update on may 17

OviSuite: detected phone but didnt didnt detect a newer update

issue:

Just right after update(pr 1.1): application menu was just slow on showing the icons and also slow scrolling on clicking applications ( until now) and i dont have much icons which i didnt really feel before on pr 1.0)

After update(pr 1.1): when wifi connects and breaks from the minimum coverage of the connection, a sign" Connection not found" pops up and lags the phone the whole day or until i get another wifi connection and disconnect from the connection formally.

upon updating(pr 1.1): I updated through wifi but it went to my own data plan even though the phone is connected to wifi.

my own problem:

wifi connects but if the internet is not used the wifi connection breaks and i would reconnect again if want to use internet again. should it just act like a laptop and connects all the time until the user doesnt need the wifi connection anymore

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Tmannnia

Firstly there are not enough updates for one to notice, but back to the scope(Ha Ha!), after updating to PR1.2 when one has downloaded a bit of App's, the App's folder takes very long to open, up to ten seconds after clicking on the icon. Will send a detailed email too, just had to get it off my chest.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

When installing the quick search update on my E7, the quick search widget disappeard from my homescreen and I had to select that widget to bring it back out. This seemed logical to me, but you might wanna know about it?

The update did also fail the first time during the install. I rebooted my phone, went to the sw updater app and installed it again. I think it used about 5 mins to install, but second time was successfull.

The 1.1 ota update went just fine if I recall correctly. No changes as I remember.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rudei

[ Edited ]

LOl I hope this thread is just a joke. I bought the N97 two years ago. There are no software updates since one year ago... I don´t use the device anymore. It is in my closet. I bought a N900 but I learned... The N900 has the same support as the N97... no support. But the N900 gets updates from the community (shame on you Nokia) and the N97 (aka "Flagship Device") has absolutely NO SUPPORT...

If the N9 gets the same support, I´ll better get an Android Device. I don´t like Android (I love Maemo) but Android still get updates. Nice job, Maemo is THE ULTIMATE PLATFORM but it got only 3 Updates (1 update more than the N97).

If you want "our help" then release an update for the N97 and the PR 1.4 for Maemo or give us the option to upgrade tho Harmattan or Meego. Yes, my post is focused on the N900 because I lost the hope of an N97 Software Update.

Sorry for my bad english :smileywink:

Edit: OnTopic:

I cannot say anything about the "Study of software updates" because i received no software updates the last one year...

Please use plain text.
Employee
laitos

Thanks for your feedback so far, please keep the information coming via email also (helps in tracking the possible issues if all the details are in one place). Fender77, please send an email to the address above and include your IMEI.

rudei, unfortunately I can't comment on the SW release schedules and plans as these fall out of the scope of my role. I don't actually get any kind of information of the plans anymore, so getting this kind of information is a bit tricky.

I still have my ex colleaques who work with these products, so I'll forward our feedback to them.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rudei

Oh really? Thank you for forwarding my feedback. After re-reading I think my post sounded a little bit angry. It should not be a flame post, only some constructive criticism. Sorry for that :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Mr Nokia Man,

I m another angry man who was waiting for an update for n97. But when i understood that nokia did not care about n97 owners then i bought an adroid phone.

Have you ever read the n97 update topic which is over 1000 posts?

Nokia will loose the phone battle. Because the company do not listen their costumer's voice.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

@laitos: Email with requested info sent! Hope it helps!

Cheers:smileyhappy:
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
viksach

Re: Study of software update quality - a real shock trying nokia 5230 NOT working after upgrade

Hi Teemu,

Yesterday I got a real shock trying to upgrade my nokia 5230, as it is not working since then. I myself being a software engineer understand what goes when you do an installation and there should be a way to handle scenario where software upgrade goes wrong. I don't know what I should say for what happened to me yesterday.

I have posted following post regarding my experience and here is what happened:

I am having a nokia 5230 for past six months. Yesterday I tried to upgrade its software using OVI Suite, it was all going fine then suddenly it gave a message that some service on nokia site is not available and installation has not succeeded.

I had a look at phone it was glowing with white light. I disconnected my data cable tied pressing some buttons and eventually removed by battery to force its restart. Since then it has not started.

Can you please let me know if there is any other option or is gone forever and I should throw it in bin now?

Regards,

Vikas

Please use plain text.
Employee
laitos

Re: Study of software update quality - a real shock trying nokia 5230 NOT working after upgrade

Bump, more answers are needed. Deadline for the emails is next Monday and we'll review the results on Tuesday.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker

Re: Study of software update quality

Nokia C7

FW PR1.2

Issues:

1) The estimation of the battery duration is poor.

2) Widgets do freeze sometimes

3) There are some issues concering WLAN connection

P.S lol laitos you didn't notice that the Subject (at the top of your post) has been changed:smileyindifferent:

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Employee
laitos

Re: Study of software update quality

Haha, no I didn't actually :smileyvery-happy: I just scrolled down and pushed the reply button. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Sage
ices_eyes

Laitos, does experience of no problems at all on the updates help you too, or just mail with problems? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.