Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Symbian Anna...Deja Vu

Sage
bumblebirra

[ Edited ]

Ok, maybe I've misunderstood. I guess you're saying that the packages to be installed for new phones are ready, but not the packages for existing phones, which are a different thing altogether by nature of how they get delivered via software update.

But still, It sucks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

No, its different. Yes the variants are created but the update file isnt. Full OS file is not equivalent to update file.

1. When installing in the factory, they have the full OS files with them, installing it on a clean phone.

2. I dont know how different it would be for Anna. However, when sending updates to your phones, they dont send the entire new OS, but a firmware upgrade, wherein the base Symbian on your phone is untouched, but the superimposed things specific to your phone (for example, different camera software and drivers for an N8 and a C7) and it is installed to your phone.

Basically, the problem is the packaging of the update. It should so that when it installs, it connects nicely with the base OS. Unlike in the factory they install it at the same time in one go, on your phone there is already a pre-existing base OS base.

I'm not too much knowledgeable on the technicals of this, I do know enough that the files used to install the OS in the factory is different from the files packaged to be sent via updates. Basically, once you get the full OS working (you can install it in a factory in that state), you compress it and chop it a bit and repackage it so that it can be sent as an update. The month delay between Anna N8 and Anna update for N8 is just for repackaging and testing of the update to make sure it doesnt brick phones.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Some Nokia Care Centers do have OS files in a CD they use for full reflashing, at least I hear they do. Not sure if they'd be able to clean install on your phone. Worth a try if you really cant wait.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
V1p3r69

@bumblebirra: Like I said, updates are a bonus and if it makes the phone better then I will definitely install it. My point is that I don't whine and cry about it being late like you do! It is stupid to buy a phone for what updates its going to get, buy it for what you get then. There is no software in the world that is update free, but you have a choice of a couple so you can choose the one that suites you best. It does not help to cry afterwards because the updates are coming to slow, that only means that you did not do your researh properly before you bought so you should actually be cross at yourself for being stupid!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jerspa

Actually, there werent test models avaible near to me when i preordered. I looked all possible videos about N8, videos dont tell the whole truth. And there were many problems when the N8¨s arrived, since you buyed the phone 3 months ago, pr1.1 and pr1.2 allready published which fixed quite many small things. Before that we got a message & illusion that Nokia is working on very big update for the devices. As you may allready readed about that.

Broken promises hurts more than those promises which arent never given. in conclusion : "What your eyes dont see, your heart will understand" <- translated that from finnish song, may sound weird lol.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bumblebirra

----------------
chanchan05 said...
The month delay between Anna N8 and Anna update for N8 is just for repackaging and testing of the update to make sure it doesnt brick phones.
-------------------
Thanks, that answered my main question.

@V1p3r69
I didn't buy my phone for what updates it's going to get. I bought my phone because it was a Nokia, a name I trusted, and I expected quality. But what I got was a half-baked phone full of bugs that shouldn't be there and six months nothing has changed. I have every right to be p***ed off about that.

Can you just imagine what Nokia would do if we were all like you? ZILCH!

But maybe you feel ok about it because you knew exactly what you were going to get before you stupidly went out and bought your phone?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

For the record, not all phones had problems. Some worked perfect from the start, so we shouldnt bash those lucky ones.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

new anna browser is cool better than opera mobile 11..... Only one problem though.....switching tabs requires 3 clicks!.....but still faster and stable and gives no error like opera 'close some apps' etc.....guys just dont sell ur phones for update delay.....you guys gonna love this anna chick!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

i am with Chancan on this one I have had no problems whatsoever with my N8 in over 4 months of heavy use

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

jerspa wrote:

And there were many problems when the N8¨s arrived, since you buyed the phone 3 months ago, pr1.1 and pr1.2 allready published which fixed quite many small things.

I have had my N8 since prior to PR1.1 and PR1.2 and my phone has always worked and has not had "many small things" wrong as you claim such phones did.

I know many other users have had the same good experience. The number of users that come here to whine about their phones is only a miniscule proportion of all sales of the phone and is a very biased sample for statistical analysis so cannot be taken as an indication of what the whole population of users' experiences.

The phone may not be what you want it to be but you have no one to blame for that but yourself for choosing a phone that does not meet your own specific desires. You should have determined that before you bought it and if, as you say, you could not try the phone for yourself beforehand you should have bought a different phone which you could try for yourself before buying.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
V1p3r69

@cataholic: Exactly what I say, and most of the problems are because of the ID-10-T problem.:smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

I agree with cataholic and I was also thinking of taking bets on how long it will be before the same users are posting complaints about Anna.

Language edited by a moderator. Please show some respect towards other users of this public forum.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bumblebirra

As long as Anna deals with my phone restarting/locking up every day and allows me to reset/restart using the power button (the way it's supposed to be done) then I wont really care less about anything else it gives. If it fixes the purple tint issue then that will be a bonus. If it fixes neither then I'm off to buy a Galaxy S-II.

If I didnt have these infuriating problems with my phone then I'd probably not even bother installing Anna.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jerspa

cataholic wrote:

jerspa wrote:

And there were many problems when the N8¨s arrived, since you buyed the phone 3 months ago, pr1.1 and pr1.2 already published which fixed quite many small things.

I have had my N8 since prior to PR1.1 and PR1.2 and my phone has always worked and has not had "many small things" wrong as you claim such phones did.

I know many other users have had the same good experience. The number of users that come here to whine about their phones is only a miniscule proportion of all sales of the phone and is a very biased sample for statistical analysis so cannot be taken as an indication of what the whole population of users' experiences.

The phone may not be what you want it to be but you have no one to blame for that but yourself for choosing a phone that does not meet your own specific desires. You should have determined that before you bought it and if, as you say, you could not try the phone for yourself beforehand you should have bought a different phone which you could try for yourself before buying.

jrrsteve wrote:

I agree with cataholic and I was also thinking of taking bets on how long it will be before the same users are posting complaints about Anna.

Language edited by a moderator. Please show some respect towards other users of this public forum.

Hey,

First of, I am pleased with the hardware side of my phone. It is excellent. 

Second,  I got my phone in October 2010. Since then I've started to use it as much as possible and mainly I am pleased.

BUT:

When I bought the phone, marketing material showed that there's facebook supported. Well partially, no fb chat or notifications.

Second complain earlier were: Chat application, it was promised too. Well it took 6 or 7 months to come for N8.

And when you start to utilize your phones as much as possible, you start to meet the boundaries. Like this: You cannot upload over 10mb videos to FB via Social. <- odd feature for HD 720p videos. LOL

There's a lot of these kind of small things which starts to annoy more and more and when you add the  pr1.1 and 1.2 fiasco's into this + newly this Anna update delays. Why should I be a happy customer?

And yes I am happy for you that you're happy with your phone, but still that doesn't make my complaints invalid.

Don't take these ranting & complaints personally, you do not differ from me when you rant / complain about my posts. ;D

Sincerely

Jerspa

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

@bumblebirra, I appreciate where you're coming from but if I had the same problems I wouldn't be waiting on a software upgrade, the phone would be sent straight back! I've had my N8 since November and apart from the odd freeze when retrieving emails, I can do nothing but praise Nokia for such a marvellous piece of hardware. As for the UI, yes it is well behind other makes but I knew that from when I first purchased it so I installed SPB mobile shell and love it even more. This doesn’t take away from the fact that Nokia have been very poor on the way they have handled the upgrades but I really don’t believe that when Anna finally arrives it’s going to make everyone love Nokia again. Some people will never be satisfied. I do hope for your sake that it does sort out your problems though.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
V1p3r69

@bumblebirra: Before you get yourself the samsung just go read their forums first so that you can see all the problems they have and make sure that you will be able to handle them. 

@Jerspa: We are not against you stating problems you have, that is what this forum is for as I understand it. The problem we have is with people whining about small little things just because they did not do their homework before they bought a phone and now they try to treahten a big company that if they don't fix their own incompetence they will go to  another brand.

I follow each and every post on the N8 subject so as to learn as much as possible about my N8, and I see so many people complain about things that is because of their own stupidity and they never come back and say "sorry but it was my own fault". They just carry on complaining.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jerspa

@V1p3r69

Yes thats true. I even complained about bh-905i support for N8 but it was my own fault lol. Sometimes my fingers on keyboard are faster than my brain solving the actual problem :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

For the record, AFAIK the purple tint issue is not a software problem, its a problem with one of the layers used in the AMOLED screen, thus its a hardware issue solved only by getting a screen replacement. No amount of software updates would fix it, similar to the green tint issue on several Samsung Galaxy S units.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
mangbecak

Hi chanchan!!

I was trawling the web and heard stories of how people went to NCC and had their screens replaced, but STILL had the purple screen issue...i was thinking of replacing my screen after anna, to see whether that solved it or not....then back up my stuff and go to an NCC...i'm covered under warranty so why not lol...

probably shouldn't have wasted on screen protectors hahaha...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

@chanchan
i dont think so purple tint is hardware related because my friend's n8 display had been replaced 3 times but still he has same purple tint problem and his 3rd new display installed in 15th june so i guess its software i.e display driver corruption
sent from nokia c7 with anna beta firmware
Please use plain text.