I think you all need to understand something here. It nots just whether or not you bought a phone from a particular carrier. if you use a carrier sim then they can still control what you get and when as they have an obligation to make sure that your phone will work with their service.
Also certain countries have their own LAWS about some of these things as well. which include specifics like what is the emergancy call number for example. Such as the states uses 911, Australia uses 000 for landlines and mobiles and also 112 for mobiles only. Now its the carriers NOT nokia that are responsible for making sure these LAWS are catered for.
All i can say is if you dont like the way the carriers do business or the government does business then you may have to find a different country to live in. You can see the results of thousands of people trying to receive the updates at the same time, massive server over loads, now imagine what would happen if you had the world doign these updates at the same time.
And beside just think, the longer the time it takes to get the update, the better it will be, as Nokia will have had a chnce to make any changes that they find out about before hand.
i hve now tried software updater and ovi and software update and still no update?
Is your product code listed as being available to update?
In order for me to stop checking on Ovi Suite every hour like a moron, could somebody at Nokia PLEASE give us the date for when the Anna update will be available for the very expensive, non-carrier subsidised, sim-free, unlocked S^3 phones in the United States of America?
Is this too much to ask?
same here.. i just want a timetable on when the US will get the update.. thats all.
2011-08-22 17:47 - edited 2011-08-22 17:47
I have spoken with someone from Orange about that product code. A friend of mine has also the same product code. She bought the N8 from Orange so it is carrier branded. But Orange is stuck on update version 013, not 014 or Anna for your product code. So my guess is that you have other carrier. Anyway, they've told me that it can take months for an update to be release to the public.
So update 014 was launched in February or March, and until today Orange hasn't launched that update for the N8's. That means Anna will come in the summer or autumn of 2012 for branded Orange Romania N8's.
@jokerasya... He is right, your product code belongs to:
059D2N8: N8-00 RM-596 Maxis MY Dark Grey V3
You can just google the N8 product codes...
You may have bought an unbranded N8, but seems like retailers don't take that too serious.
I also bought an unbranded N8 and there was no branding or software installed from any contract.
But my N8's product code belongs to a telekom version. Maybe retailers just flash these phones with unbranded software? I don't know what other reason could exist...
2011-08-22 18:03 - edited 2011-08-22 18:04
Well now I'm totally confused... no Anna here in USA, and Nokia are about to announce 'something new for symbian' in 2 days. Not much time between this new announcement and Anna last week!!
I'm excited things are happening, not excited they're not happening in America yet!
I think that's a wise decision!
I have the same model, running smoothly ever since purchase, and I share your thoughts about the Anna-update.
I made a little list of all the things that seem to possible go wrong after updating and its HUGE!
Seems even the 30fps camera update doesn't work ( the most important reason for updating along with internet-experience (also sucks) anyway.
Greetings (and stay put
**bleep** nokia , **bleep** elop **bleep** anna **bleep** marika... you are liers, i m boring you!! **bleep**...i prefer sony ericson and android..death nokia , 1 year for one update anna..?? you are to slow like a turtle idiots....
okay,i have googled the product code.geez, didn't see that one coming though.
i see,so i just happened to buy an abandoned branded phone.
when would be the update for the rest of us? they have the schedule to follow,haven't they?
Some more Q&As... I will be checking here as much as possible.
1) I did the update via NSU and don't see application packages: I just got that one clarified - the problem is with NSU. It will never show you the application packages - that's why OviSuite/OTA is the official way to update. Please connect to OviSuite or use OTA to poll for the missing updates. (As for OviSuite, it has the same 24h cache as the Software Update client in your phone and won't show you "new-new" updates if you poll several times within a 24h window. So, even if you check OviSuite every hour for new updates, it won't show you anything unfortunately.)
2) Camera Update for N8: For the ones who haven't seen the conversations blog post yet, here's the link: http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/08/22/nokia-n8
3) For Quickoffice not being available: The only solution is to download Symbian Anna 1/2 as that includes the corresponding files.
4) Finland C6-01: Those were unfortunately missed during Thursday publishing - I'm really sorry for this. We've now put them online for OviSuite update availability late yesterday night, and the OTA files will follow during today. (And for the ones who are crosschecking that information with the list I posted earlier: I hope it's obvious, that that excel showed exactly the status on Thu 18th - so doesn't include any codes that got finished during the last days.)
5) As for the "outstanding launch countries": We announce the new countries here and I'll open a separate thread each week so that this kind of info doesn't get lost. So, if you haven't been on the list of GoLive countries yet, we'll tell you once more updates are avaliable.
@bat400: I'm checking with the UK team at the moment what's the problem with your variant. I see it as not finished yet, so need to investigate.
@x_markus_x: We should get some approvals from Voda today - I'm waiting for the details which products/variants are included.
@jokerasya: your phone is a branded Maxis dark grey variant (APAC_1_Maxis MY dark grey, to be exact), I just crosschecked - and that's why there's no update available yet. Really sorry!
And for everybody who is in a country matching my list in post no.2 (and not falling under the exceptions I posted) but still not getting the update - I need your productcode. Without a productcode, I can't do anything as we have thousands of different variants...