Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Symbian Anna for N8

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

Symbian Anna for N8

Hi all,

Last Month Nokia Said they will realeased Nokia N8 with Symbian Anna OS. (Not Update). Please let me know Nokia has start shipping N8 with Symbian Anna?

H P E N Suresh
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
radical24

Re: Symbian Anna for N8

yes the new n8 ship with anna, those that are older will get the update in late august. next time do some serach on the boards and you will find tons of info about this topic :smileyhappy:
You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for the reply. :smileyhappy: But I have one issue. People are saying who use N8, there's a software error coming while using. Now I'm using C7, but next two days i'll be moving to N8. Because this issue I'm afraid to go N8. please let me hlp on this

H P E N Suresh
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Thewonderer

The answer is simple. Don't go n8.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

What software error? And for what reason are you shifting from a C7 to an N8? There seems to be too little difference between two phones apart from camera.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nokinaut

I haven't seen any retailers shipping the N8 with Anna preloaded. Can you provide a link, or proof that they are shipping with Anna?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Nokia already announced it. Although of course it would depend if Nokia has already shipped out the new batches, as the older batches would not yet probably be all sold out yet. Also as per most manufacturer rules, they wont sell or order new batches of products until they are running low on stocks anyway.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Sage
evildragon

This is typical. Every month it's the same story with Anna and our N8's to get the update, next month, no next month, no it's another next month, it's terrible.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
lnegrol

[ Edited ]

A friend has bought this week Nokia N8 pink thinking their operating system was Symbian Anna and found with surprise that it is Symbian^3.

Nokia surprises me how it works. This company seems to politicians. I can promise and promise.

I know this message will end up removing more sooner or later. In addition to not doing your job, do not let their customers express themselves to solve their own mistakes.

It is clear that the error made ​​by us we have to give our support and money to a company that tends to fail.

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Please be advised that we have removed a statement from this post as this procedure might invalidate the warranty of your Nokia device. Thank you for understanding.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CameronS

@Inegrol - not wanting to point out the obvious, but Symbian Anna IS Symbian^3 (just a newer version...). So, when your friend bought a new N8 and was disappointed to find it was only Symbian^3 shows a fair amount of ignorance on your friend's (and your) part. Of course it is Symbian^3!

And, to keep the criticism going... How is it that Nokia is "a company that tends to fail"? They deliver brilliant phones (some would argue the best in the world), Symbian (despite the lengthy debate, frequent criticism and impending abandonment) is one of the most capable and prolific mobile phone operating systems ever developed. As an earlier post from one of the moderators requested, please show some respect for the company in your posts.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
lnegrol

[ Edited ]

Dear CameronS,

Let ignorance aside. You will notice that Symbian ^ 3 is not the same as Symbian Anna. You'll know when some applications will stop working. Look at the code of both systems if you know something about programming.

On the other hand, you can not have respect for a company that laughs at his customers. We can not spend more than $ 600 after a phone that will not support. Far from it, it goes to market with so many bugs as has the Nokia N8. It's embarrassing.

Nokia was a great company. Today look at the statistics and see how plummets due to customer dissatisfaction. The truth hurts.

Regards.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vangelis290189

lnegrol wrote:

Dear CameronS,

Let ignorance aside. You will notice that Symbian ^ 3 is not the same as Symbian Anna. You'll know when some applications will stop working. Look at the code of both systems if you know something about programming.

On the other hand, you can not have respect for a company that laughs at his customers. We can not spend more than $ 600 after a phone that will not support. Far from it, it goes to market with so many bugs as has the Nokia N8. It's embarrassing.

Nokia was a great company. Today look at the statistics and see how plummets due to customer dissatisfaction. The truth hurts.

Regards.

What ??? Which code are you refering to ? it will still be symbian micro-kernel , everithing else depends on libraries like Qt and 99% of apps running in S^3 will be running in anna .

Please use plain text.
pingufreak83

nokia s***z. not the development, further more the managers. i can't understand that those managers make so bad decisions. i've an nokia n8 and i'm not happy with it, because its laggy and not bug free. i'm of course an afraid customer. no support for a new phone which costs about 600$ at the beginning. no updates, many promises, many angry customers. nokia is to fail. the next phone will be an i phone or android. i will never make this mistake and trust in nokia.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
utopium77

We can not spend more than $ 600 after a phone that will not support. Far from it, it goes to market with so many bugs as has the Nokia N8. It's embarrassing.

Well, I don't know if you own an N8 or not, but after owning one for 8 months I can tell you that there are not that many bugs ... give us ten examples of bugs if you know there are that many. Also, the phone already got two firmware updates PR 1.1 and PR 1.2, PR 1.2 very small update indeed, but hey, that does not mean "no support", my latest software update is dated 25/03/2011, so 4 months ago, not that old if you ask me.

Also there were other updates, I have about 5 updates that came through the phone's software update Over the Air like subtitles for video, ovi maps updates, quick search update, here and now update, etc. Beside that, Ovi Store was updated constantly (now it supports application updates), Nokia Social is much better (integrated with contacts), Ovi Maps improved constantly (multi-touch, maps download directly on the phone, etc) ... also, the Nokia Beta Labs improved things even further adding DLNA to Symbian^3 (via Play To app) and a lot of other useful applications (Nokia Big Screen, Nokia Situations, Nokia Bubbles, etc). There is a big difference between an N8 when it was launched in october 2010 and the actual version with all the updates installed.

I don't want to defend Nokia, they could/should of given us Anna by now already, but it's just not fair to say there was no support and that the N8 is full of bugs. Yes, the phone may restart from time to time when using heavy apps (a fast restart, not the full one), but beside that you will hardly see any significant bugs.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
aashafie

[ Edited ]

I'm still on PR 1.1. I been told that the region where I am now will skip 1.2 for my phone serial as Anna (PR 2.0) is very near (coming soon) -this message was rtelayed to me in April.

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

We have edited your post as it discusses an unofficially announced software. Please be advised that we do not encourage discussions of unofficially announced products or services in the discussion board to avoid misleading other users.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

nokinaut
Contributor
nokinaut
23-Jul-2011 02:05 PM
I haven't seen any retailers shipping the N8 with Anna preloaded. Can you provide a link, or proof that they are shipping with Anna?

REPLY.
Supposedly being shipped by end of July , but as yet there is no proof or confirmation.. As for the OTA updates, there is no sign of FW variants being sent to Carriers yet for QA approval..Nor does it appear on Nokia Care Suite server..
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
knives

how about here in thhe philippines? will there be an upgrade of symbian anna for n8?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

Eventually, yes..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

As Paul said eventually. But usually Philippines gets the updates a bit later than Europe. Months sometimes.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
koolkiller

[ Edited ]

Atlast we have entered in August. . . The epics says this will be the release month for SYMBIAN ANNA. As far as i've read about the updates and improvements made in ANNA are worth nothing as compared with the time taken for the release. Updated browser,split screen qwerty keyboard and new icons ,thats all the story of ANNA.no change in the UI,MUSIC PLAYER,ANIMATIONS,PRESENTATION ETC. I have sony xperia (ANDROID) and when i updated it last time i saw major changes in the U.I which made me feel good,same i was xpecting with ANNA also but m afraid i've to stop dreaming the same from nokia. Sorry if it hurts but nokia is slower than a tortoise.hundreds of blogs,hundreds of sites are flooded with users opinions and demands from last 6-7 months after the release of SYMBIAN OS^3.BUT WE ARE NEVER SATISFIED WITH ANY AUTHENTIC DATE OF THE FW RELEASE.EVERY MONTHS WE HAVE BEEN TOLD TO WAIT TILL THE NEXT OR UPCOMING MONTHS,.NOKIA IS A GOOD AND OLD BRAND NAME,GUYZ WHY U WANT TO RUIN UR BUSNSS IDENTITY?? Why u dont come up with any authentic and exact release date?whats wrong to make it public??how many more days u wanna ditch the customers?? Reply guyz reply. . . We have to be the king but u made us beg for symbian anna..

Moderator's Note: We have edited your post as it discusses an unofficially announced software. Please be advised that we do not encourage discussions of unofficially announced products or services in the discussion board to avoid misleading other users.

Please use plain text.