Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Symbian Anna update for USA N8s

Registered Member
nozepikka

Symbian Anna update for USA N8s

[ Edited ]

Hi,

In the past week or so, the symbian anna updates have started rolling out for symbian phone. It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could tell me when the update will be out for North American N8s (specifically 059C8T6) as I have not received it yet. I check from my phone, NSU, and OVI suite every day yet there is no sign of an update for my device.

Thank you for your time.

- Ahnaf

Moderator note: This post has been edited to removed references to a product or service used in procedures which may invalidate the warranty of a Nokia device, and which may not therefore be discussed on this forum.

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Hi,

we can't give any estimates for the US market currently, but we are working on getting Symbian Anna ready for the States & I'll announce it here on the forum once we published it.

BR,

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Platini

Will you announce it on this thread?

I would appreciate it. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
psnewman

The Nokia website: http://www.nokiausa.com/us-en/support/product/n8-00/) had firmware 022.014 as available beginning about August 25. I wrote them and pointed out this was not correct. They now have the 014.002 as the latest, back-peddling a bit I think. I can't imagine why Nokia would want to alienate customers like this. When I called customer service I was told there was a server problem and it would be corrected in a few days. That was last week. Honest answers to questions would be appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
psnewman

An update from my previous post:  At 1:50pm Pacific Time, US on 29 October I received a call from Nokia tech support telling me that the reason no Anna update was available was due to a "server power failure."  After pointing out that this was the same excuse I was given last week and that Nokia forums were saying that the reason was because of issues involving carriers she acknowledged the carrier issue, repeated the server issue and said it would be resolved shortly.  "This is what our technical department is telling us."  I leave it to anyone who might have received a similar call if they were any more persuaded by this statement than I am.  I wonder if Nokia knows the damage the have caused to their declining reputation.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

You guys will love this - I sat in on a call with a friend of mine with a N8 (NAM product code) who called to inquire about the status via Nokia USA's information line.

It was rather comical during the entire process as they clearly did not understand what my friend was asking about.

-When asked about the Anna update for his phone - the rep (and the manager when we got escalated to him)  said that the servers for update had a power issue, and therefore not available.  If that was the case, no Nokia phone should be able to connect to the update servers, and should result in a N8 responding with a 'No Response from Server' error of some sort - and *NOT* - no update available.    So clearly - that's a lie right there.

-When this was pointed out - they then said oh, it's available for other North American product codes.  Just not yours!  Well, we then asked them WHICH NAM product codes had the update - which they did not know, and also do not have.  Clearly, as we have heard from Skyee (Great job by the way - you're actually being honest and giving folks answers in your spare time, no less!!!!!) - there are *NO* official north american devices that have Anna as of yet.  Furthermore, if they don't know what other product codes or flat out do not know - they should not be telling customers that 'other customers who have North American devices can update to Anna' - as that just makes Nokia look bad by giving out false info - and more importantly frustrates existing Nokia users.

-They finally used the carrier card in the discussion - and that's why the N8 Anna firmware is delayed.  At which point my exasperated friend pointed out that he has a bought straight from Nokia USA unlocked device - not to mention also that no carrier in the US even carries the N8as a device!  So the carrier bit is another falsehood of information that the support people are giving.

When confronted with information like these - these support folk who are not even on the North American continent I might add - have nothing to say and just keep repeating the wrong information in both email and phone calls (he wasted >50mins on the phone with the silly folks - and they were supposed to be the technical support group!).  They really need a NAM support group within the support group - so that they are aware of the existing issues here!!!

This is why I have personally given up on Nokia devices.  I sold my last Nokias and now have a SE Xperia Arc.  Until Nokia gets their act sorted together, I do not think I will be going back to them.  They have great products, but support is absolutely, and totally horrendous on these fronts - and that's why they keep on losing market share here in the US...

Don't lie to your core users (whats left of them) in the US.  Just tell us the truth, or just make it work without advertising about it.  Instead of spending the money on PR - just get it done.  That's a more important thing - and users will come back.

Please use plain text.
Sage
evildragon

Yea, you know what, because of this **bleep**, the N8 I sold, was given BACK to me..

The person I sold it too, felt it was "defective" and didn't like it. Sucks for me, cause I'm a gracious person and was ok with giving his money back.

Looks like I'm stuck with the N8 again, so once again, I will be raising my little hell once again.
Please use plain text.
Julio1

I've purchased a N8 unlocked from US market and i'm waiting for the Anna release like everybody else. In my opinion we are too anxious because today's world is too fast and more if we are speaking of technology. The N8 is a great and excellent phone without any discussion, we love ( or used to ) Symbian phones and build quality of Nokia phones all over the history, indeed the N8 is not the exception to this rule. What we are facing now is a release delay of Anna, and maybe it could take only two or three weeks. Honestly I don't think that two or three weeks changes somebody's mind about the quality or reliability about Nokia phones, yes about their customer support but not about the Nokia brand. I'll keep trying to update to Anna everyday, but always with patience :smileyhappy:

PS: Spell Check doesn't recognize the word "Symbian" XD

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Will_CR

Re: Symbian Anna update for LA N8s

I read Symbian Anna is already available in Latin America, however I don't find any update for my N8 in Costa Rica.

Is a device issue?
Or isn't it yet available in CR? 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

All I wanted was a potrait keyboard. Is that too much to ask?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Platini

Nokia,

Could you give us a timetable as to when ANNA will be available for the USA?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
bronzedragon18

Yeahhh , I'm waiting for the Anna update too , especially since Nokia promised the update to all customers before the end of August and that´s almost here ... I'm not as upset as most N8 owners because I plan to get the E6 anyway .
Please use plain text.
Advisor
threethinker

You're not the only one, vsigma!

I called the Nokia US support center and got pretty much the same information you did.  "We're working on an update" was my official answer.

My e-mail correspondences went a little differently.

My first email inquiring as to when an update will be released, I was told that the update is available in all countries and regions, and they asked about my IMEI.  This turned out to be a blatant lie, because after sending them my IMEI information and product code, which is 059C8T6 (i have it pretty much memorized at this point), they told me in a second email that it was currently not available for my phone.

Buying an unbranded Nokia for full price shouldn't make me wait longer for OS updates.  At this point I'm about to google alternative ways on how to get Anna on my phone, and then make sure my next purchase isn't a Nokia phone.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
21empark

its been quite some time now,. 
no signs of anna yet :-( 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
josephw

it seems as if nokia has been releasing variants each friday. here is hoping that this is the friday we will get the goods. i am yet another n8 u.s. user who feels like they are seated way in the back of the bus....
Please use plain text.
Sage
andy232

E7 owner, waiting (kind of patiently) in New York. My complaint isn't really with the messy procedure Anna is being rolled out, but with Customer Care. I too emailed them asking them what was up, and I first got the reply that I need to send them my IMEI and they also included a mass of instructions on how to download the update. Er - guys, I am emailing you becasue it's not available, and I'm asking why!!

Anyway, I just got this back after emailing them my IMEI number:

Hi Andy,

Thank you for e-mailing Nokia Care Line.

We understand that you have been anticipating for the availability of the Symbian Anna update on your device. We would like to inform you that this update is yet to be released for devices in the US. This update is currently being worked on by our Development team. You may periodically check for updates using Ovi Suite. 

Nokia need to address their customer service in the States. It is terrible. You never get an answer to your query, and if you do, it's irrelevant and unhelpful, and even full of lies! This poor level of service makes already-frustrated customers even more frustrated. 

Again, I'm not complaining about Anna arriving late, I understand it's a tricky business to update millions of devices, and I am certain I'll have Anna on my E7 in the next couple of weeks. Not too bothered by that. But I am, like many others, truly insulted by the lack of honesty and integrity by Nokia Customer Care in the US.

Nokias: 232, 3210, 3330, 6230, 6101, 6021, 6126, E75, E73, N900, N8, E6, E7, N9. There's a Samsung in there somewhere too, but...we don't talk about that.
Please use plain text.
Sage
andy232

This is certainly not my first unfortunate encounter with USA Nokia Customer Care. One of my previous models was a Nokia E75, bought in person at the (now closed down) Nokia flagship store on 57th Street in New York. It wouldn't load Maps, just remained on the loading page. I went back to the store, they were puzzled and couldn't get it to work, so immediately ordered a new E75 and in a couple of days I was astounded that another E75 wouldn't load Maps. The friendly and helpful (and now unemployed) staff couldn't work it out either, but then the store closed down, and I was left with the option of calling Nokia Customer Care. After pulling my hair out trying to explain the rather simple deficiency in the $350 brand new phone, I was told it would have to be sent away to Huntsville, AL for repair. So, I reluctantly sent it UPS down to Alabama. A week later it came back, and you know what? Yep, you guessed it. Maps wouldn't load. I...was...furious.

I called them back and had a heated conversation, where the Nokia rep just kept repeating my questions and statements, rather than answering them. E.g. "So can I understand that you are calling because the Maps software will not load on your Nokia E75, is that correct?"

YYEEEEESSSSS!!!!!! 

It was a nightmare. And my friends couldn't get their heads around why I wasn't getting an iPhone or one of the new fancy Androids. I wanted to stick with my favorite brand, Nokia, but I felt horribly let down.

But looking at this Anna thread, it would seem not much has changed with Nokia Customer Care in America.

I beg Nokia management, Chris Weber, head of Nokia in the US, take a look at your customer service here. It STINKS, sir.  FIX IT.

Nokias: 232, 3210, 3330, 6230, 6101, 6021, 6126, E75, E73, N900, N8, E6, E7, N9. There's a Samsung in there somewhere too, but...we don't talk about that.
Please use plain text.
Sage
jake20

like many others, truly insulted by the lack of honesty and integrity by Nokia Customer Care in the US.

yup, i agree

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Clawz2k

[ Edited ]

Release Anna to everyone by the end of August

MODERATOR"S NOTE:

Please refrain from using foul and offensive languages. We are using a peer-to-peer discussion forum and we have to maintain a friendly atmosphere.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
njcrash

Actually, I think that nokia was telling you the truth when they mentioned the operator requirements.  Nokia is trying to get into the US market, and to be a player they have to have their products carried by the carriers.  US Carriers for the most part(especially AT&T) are miffed at Nokia because nokia phones offer a lot of features that AT&T and others charge for and want to charge for.  A perfect example is Ovi Maps.  AT&T can't sell TeleNav if phones already have ovi maps.  There are many other apps that are the same way.  So, in order for Nokia to get AT&T to start carrying them in mass, they have to make concessions to AT&T.  My sources tell me that Nokia has been working with AT&T to make changes to Anna for the US market so that Anna meets AT&T's requirements.  this is actually supported by an email I got from nokia when i asked why nokia hadn't been released in the US yet.  I quote from the email, "There are factors such as operator requirements that affect the rolleout release".  I responded back to them that I had bought an unlocked nokia N8 and that no carriers in the US actually sold or carried that phone, and their reply was that Anna as released did not meet operator requirements in the US and changes were being made and "We'll let you know when there's news"

All I can say is I'm fed up with Nokia.  I want a phone company out there that makes phones and sells them unlocked and doesnt' rely on carrier support so that we can get the functionality that the carriers try to squash, or for which they want to charge and arm and leg for.  i was very excited to get an N8 (such a great phone hardware wise) unlocked without any carrier interference.  Looks like that ship has sailed.  I can't actually decide if I even want Anna after it comes out now.  I want anna, but not an anna that is locked down because of "carrier requirements". 

Please use plain text.