Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Symbian Anna - EAP-PEAP authentication without...

Sage

Re: Symbian Anna

It won't come thru your car stereo.  Most car stereos do not have that Bluetooth profile.  So, it looks like you'll have to turn the stereo down and listen to the phone. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PaulGrenfell

greycounciller
Novice Sage
greycounciller
12-Jul-2011 04:24 PM
So, can anyone with Anna say whether Navigation thru a bluetooth headset works or not?

Not with mine , no.. sorry...
Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

Oh well, that's another own goal from Nokia. It's the only reason I stayed with them last upgrade. Glad to see Ovi maps is released to Android and my contract is up the end of August.
Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

electricpig.co.uk/2011/07/12/nokia-ovi-maps-now-available-on-android-and-ios-will-it-replace-google-maps/
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sausagenmash

Looks like I'll be deserting Nokia too very soon then - can't see the point in having Sat Nav that doesn't come through the car speakers.

James

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ramany

Re: Symbian Anna - EAP-PEAP authentication without Certificates

Vangelis290189 wrote:

At anna's changelog there is no such thing . why you experience problems with authentication ? what are you trying to use ?

That really a shame, its a complete deal breaker for me. I am a rabid Nokia fan for a decade and i hate to jump ship, but i have no choice. All other platforms (iPhone, Andriod) have no problems connectiong to my office network that uses 802.1x authentication using EAP-PEAP but without using Certificates.

My company does not require any certificates for authention, it just uses the userid/password.

All Nokia (Symbian) phone have put a hard requirement that a certificate be exchanged and verified before the userid/password authentication is done.

This is not a requirement according to EAP-PEAP authentication protocol and a device should be able to ignore it.

Is there a way to inform Nokia (Symbian) development to address this glraing hole.

Lot of bussinesss and universities use this kind of authentication to connect to their Wifi network.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vangelis290189

if I understood well a normal phone when is trying to connect asks for this password/username . but your phone just displays "unable to connect" or something . If this is it then go to wifi connection manager . long press the network you want and from the menu that apears select "connect to internet" . your router probably will redirect the page to the authedication . the bad thing is you should do this everytime you connect . I experienced this with some public hotspots

Please use plain text.
Sage
dj_nick_t

[ Edited ]

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXWgyJ4Xmw4

Among others, this guy talks about Anna being available for the existing devices in "around about Q3"... if I recall well, Q3 in Nokia's language is last week / day of September (remember when they start shipping N8 in the same Q3 last year?)...

Previous (starting with '99): 5110 (2 pcs.); 6110; 6150 (2 pcs.); 6210; 6310i; 6680; N70; N73; N82 Silver; N97 Transition Black; N97 mini Cherry Black; iPhone 3GS 16GB Black; iPhone 4 16GB Black; N8-00 Dark Grey; iPhone 4S 16GB Black
Current: 808 PureView Black (Nokia Belle FP2, v113.010.1507) & iPhone 5s 32GB Space Gray (iOS 7.0.6)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jerspa

dj_nick_t wrote:

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXWgyJ4Xmw4

Among others, this guy talks about Anna being available for the existing devices in "around about Q3"... if I recall well, Q3 in Nokia's language is last week / day of September (remember when they start shipping N8 in the same Q3 last year?)...

Citating Matti Nykänen for that youtube video and Symbian Anna coming before end of august: 50%/60%

Conclusion:

They cant deliver before Q4. <- my bet :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ramany

Vangelis290189 wrote:

if I understood well a normal phone when is trying to connect asks for this password/username . but your phone just displays "unable to connect" or something . If this is it then go to wifi connection manager . long press the network you want and from the menu that apears select "connect to internet" . your router probably will redirect the page to the authedication . the bad thing is you should do this everytime you connect . I experienced this with some public hotspots

No you can setup EAP-PEAP authentication for the wifi access point and provide the userid/password there. This way you dont need to provide it everytime.

But if you dont set it up like that you should be offerred the window to provide userid/passwd everytime you try to connect.

The problem is this: the phone never reached the point of using the userid/passwd as its looking for a server certificate to check if the access point is the access point that it says it is.

There is the step where the client (the phone) makes sure that the server (access point) is authentic. The next step is where the server checks if the client is allowed to connect.

The authentication of the server by the client should be optional, which is supported by Android and iOS, but not by Symbian. Nokia phone insists on first authenticating the server.

I hope i am able to explain correctly.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vangelis290189

@ramany

So I see there is no way you fix that . I think I have never faced such problem . Is it a rare issue ? I think there are not many hotspots like this .

Please use plain text.
Sage
DeadmanN8

[ Edited ]

sausagenmash When did you start to get this problem? I have it too and I know I used to have the satnav come through my stereo before with my N8

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sausagenmash

Hi DeadmanN8

I've never been able to get the SatNav to come via Bluetooth on the N8. S^3, so I've been told, is capable of it but the functionality has been disabled (by Nokia?). Was fine with my 5800 (which wasn't S^3).

If I get a SMS/email notification come through this comes through fine. Interestingly enough, when I have the SatNav on, and a notification comes through, you can hear the SatNav but only while you are receiving the notification.

Just hope it gets fixed with Anna otherwise I'll be deserting Nokia, which is a shame because I really do like my N8 :smileysad:

James

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

sausagenmash wrote:

Hi DeadmanN8

I've never been able to get the SatNav to come via Bluetooth on the N8. S^3, so I've been told, is capable of it but the functionality has been disabled (by Nokia?). Was fine with my 5800 (which wasn't S^3).

If I get a SMS/email notification come through this comes through fine. Interestingly enough, when I have the SatNav on, and a notification comes through, you can hear the SatNav but only while you are receiving the notification.

James

You can also play music and any other media via Bluetooth too. The feature must work as they do a Bluetooth Stereo Headset that works with the N8/S^3.

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nokinaut

So, it's mid-July. Have phones pre-loaded with Anna started shipping as yet??!!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PaulGrenfell

Uncomfirmed..
Please use plain text.
Professor
Vangelis290189

nokinaut wrote:

So, it's mid-July. Have phones pre-loaded with Anna started shipping as yet??!!!

No . Not only they are not shipping but there are not even manufactured with ANNA preloaded . I'm refering to N8,C7,C6-01,E7 off course X7andE6 are preloaded with anna .

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PaulGrenfell

We suspected that, considering the FW isnt listed on NCC yet..Its going to be an awfully tight time schedule..
Please use plain text.
Sage

Is there a list of new features provided by Anna anywhere?

History: Always Nokia since 1994 including Nokia 2140, 7110e, 6150, 6210, 6310i, 6230i, N82
Current: Nokia N8 (Anna - I have no intention of going to Belle) - and delighted with it!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

tangerine wrote:

Is there a list of new features provided by Anna anywhere?

Try reading the very first post by Yvonne in this thread. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.