Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Symbian Anna

Counsellor
jlangmaid

read carefuly its PR 2.1 not 1.2.

2.1 is anna, with the updates fixes as a X.1 is generaly a minor fix (im guessing the emergency call issue)

as to the delay i have made numrous posts about telstra and whats happening. they have confirmed anna will be delayed becase of the emergency call issue on their network. TELSTRA PHONES WILL SEE ANNA MID SEPTEMBER WHICH IS STILL IN THE THIRD QUARTER SO DONT ANYONE GET THEIR KNICKERS IN A KNOT. if u want anymore info just look at my old posts

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't type 1.2.
I understand the 2.1 thing, and will search for your posts. But i'm still on PR1.0. So my phone has never been able to get an update.

Why is my product code (telstra) in this "released" list?
Please use plain text.
crispyhalo2

Could this be the answer? Haven't updated my phone yet, btw. From skyee [nokia]: 18-Aug-2011 10:15 AM And one more thing - Symbian Anna consists of 2 parts. The operating system & applications, and it's crucial that you install both. Q: What happens if I skip the application updates (i.e. have only downloaded the operating system update)? A: Application updates are classified as either mandatory (Symbian Anna 1/2) or optional (Symbian Anna 2/2, Angry birds for C7, Ovi Store and Social). If the mandatory application updates are not done, the user experience will not be optimal, for example: - email attachments can’t be read as Quickoffice/Adobe won’t function - user might see mixed old & new icons in the menu or Homescreen - no further application updates can be done unless the mandatory Symbian Anna package is installed
Please use plain text.
Sage

So Anna is out, I can see that it's available but every time I try and download it I am unable to connect to the update server. I've tried 3 different machines in 2 different locations.

And this, for me, sums up Nokia. Poor management of the upgrade means the the update server is swamped and can't cope.

i prefer to use OTA but that isn't available.

Thankfully I'm not desparate for this update, more curious.

Such a shame though

Please use plain text.
Sage
andrewaussie

yea dont worry im still on 1.0

aswell where is everyone finding this release list

as for the reason its in the list will be that its going to be released

i have recently spoken to telstra and they have confirmed they are doing the update but it will be mid september before we see it.

sorry if it sounded like i was having a go at you. im just sick of everyone blaming nokia for the delay. when the issue (emergency calling)  seems to only be on the telstra carier varient.

Please use plain text.
Sage
andy232

It's officially announced:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/08/18/symbian-anna-downloads-begin-today/

I can't believe I don't have the time to do this until I get home from work! Ha ha, that's the way it goes, you wait 5 months, then you have to wait a bit more because I don't have a spare hour in the morning. Oh well. Gives me something to look forward to tonight :smileyhappy:

Great news guys, hope the wait was worth it  :smileyhappy:

Nokias: 232, 3210, 3330, 6230, 6101, 6021, 6126, E75, E73, N900, N8, E6, E7, N9. There's a Samsung in there somewhere too, but...we don't talk about that.
Please use plain text.
Sage
andycoydwilson

servers still down though at minute

If this was helpful please click Star for Kudos

Phone history :-3210, 3100, 3200, 6230i, N73, N95-8GB, N97, N8, Lumia800, Lumia920, Lumia620, Lumia820, Lumia1020
Please use plain text.
Sage
andy232

Just found this over on the Conversations page, in case anyone was wondering about missing QuickOffice after updating:

Symbian Anna includes the full license for Quick Office and Adobe. Once the mandatory application package (Symbian Anna 1/2) is downloaded, the Quickoffice and Adobe applications will function normally.  ...so I think you need to download Anna.  Then goto the OTA upgrades and those apps should be there.

So I guess it's just something else you have to do. Still nothing here in the US. We're probably last on the list of countries because there are just 14 Nokia owners here. Greeeaaaatttt.  :smileyindifferent:

Nokias: 232, 3210, 3330, 6230, 6101, 6021, 6126, E75, E73, N900, N8, E6, E7, N9. There's a Samsung in there somewhere too, but...we don't talk about that.
Please use plain text.
mhyv69

On Virgin UK here, got Anna at 4:30 am.

has some issues with WLAN and the ability to create new access points or delete any, system is stable enough with a marked improvement in speed, just looks clunky and bland colour scheme, not as smooth looking as a lot of the themes brought out for the N8 to mimic ANNA.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jlangmaid

andrewaussie wrote:

yea dont worry im still on 1.0

aswell where is everyone finding this release list

as for the reason its in the list will be that its going to be released

i have recently spoken to telstra and they have confirmed they are doing the update but it will be mid september before we see it.

sorry if it sounded like i was having a go at you. im just sick of everyone blaming nokia for the delay. when the issue (emergency calling)  seems to only be on the telstra carier varient.

Mate, us aussies don't have a go at each other. Well some do lol....

Anyway yea I can understand frustration towards nokia, and also telstra in a lot of cases, not so much this one. If there is a issue, there is a issue. Its prob got something to do with telstra has a unique network then anyother.

Well i did get excited to see my product code in that list, now i guess to wait another month :-(

Cheers buddy.

Please use plain text.
Sage
andy232

Glad you guys are getting it in the UK. Just read a whole load of comments around the web, looks like us chumps living in America will see the update LAST. Brilliant, classic Nokia! "Ooh yes, the US is very important to us, new strategy, blah blah.."  except for those customers who had to buy their N8 and E7 from Amazon at full-price ($500) because there will be an extra wait until we get to download Anna. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
andy232

Also, the comments made by people who have installed the update are very worrying. Many folks are saying that certain features aren't working or are missing, that error messages pop up on the screen... looks like waiting a bit longer might actually be worth something. Geeez... (roll eyes and shake head)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
del1701

Well I flashed anna yesterday, uk dg variant and all I can say is wow what an improvement over 1.2 which was buggy as hell, I may actualy keep my N8 a little longer now because my phone actualy works.

He he funny how anna rolls out the same day that belle was leaked :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Sage
andy232

From a Nokia employee, answering some early concerns. Could be useful if you've got some questions:

Hi all, as an answer to the feedback we got in the last hours, here’s some Q&A on topics you’ve raised so far:

1) Q: “No update available” – A: We’ve released Symbian Anna in more than 30 countries this morning which will enable over 60% of our existing Symbian3 customers to update to Symbian Anna. For a full list of countries where the update is available now, please check our detailed information in the Nokia Discussions Forum via: http://discussions.europe.noki....  As you would expect, we got a lot of update requests and therefore some users might get an information “server not available / no update available”. If so, please try to download the update again a bit later.
2) Q: “I’ve downloaded Symbian Anna & lost Quickoffice and Adobe pdf reader” – A: It’s crucial that you not only download the operating system but also the Symbian Anna application packages. They are available via Ovi  Suite update or over the air (depending on country & operator) as well. The package called “Symbian Anna 1/2” contains the Quickoffice and pdf reader, and “Symbian Anna 2/2” contains other important service updates, so we recommend to update everything you see in Ovi Suite or the Software Update client.
3) Q: “The splitscreen Qwerty is not visible when using Swype” – A: You have to enable the Qwerty keyboard by opening the message view, select the Options button (that looks like a list) and select Qwerty keyboard. If you are using Swype it might be that this is blocking the Qwerty, please then try to disable Swype and check if that solves your problem.
4) Q: “After the update I get a message ‘phone feature not supported’” – A: Please install the Symbian Anna application packages as that will solve the issue.

5) Q: “How should I update if I’m in an area with weak network coverage?” – A: We recommend to do the Symbian Anna update via OviSuite or via WiFi because of the update size (>80MB for over the air updates) and corresponding download times in a weak network area.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
cpfc_fan

I'm a Virgin customer using a N8 and I can't get the update with the ovi suite. Something about can't connect to the net etc etc. Yet I updated the UK map with ovi suite. So I know I can connect to the internet with the suite but can't get the update.

Please use plain text.
allii

hi skyee

how about n8 059c304    sfr when will we see this revolutionary update i really can t wait thanks for ur support

Please use plain text.
Sage
andycoydwilson

When will the UK servers be back online as I have been trying to update since 0800 hrs when I was cut off half way through !!!!

Phone history :-3210, 3100, 3200, 6230i, N73, N95-8GB, N97, N8, Lumia800, Lumia920, Lumia620, Lumia820, Lumia1020
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pilotguy511

[ Edited ]

Andy I was getting frustrated with UK servers too. I was successful with the Nokia Software Updater that was superseded by Ovi Suite. See my post HERE

:smileyhappy:

By the way, CNet still has Nokia Software Updater (NSU) available not Filehippo as I thought before.

Happy seeking & hopefully updating. I'm still chuckling about how much better Anna has made my superb N8.

Please use plain text.
Sage
andycoydwilson

Thanks mate I have been trying nsu but it says no update available when it stops saying service unavailable. Not sure I got right version as I downloaded it from a us site this morning!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pilotguy511

Ok I installed, or re-installed 3.0.383
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jleholeho1

HELP!!!

Both Nokia PC Suite and NSU keep throwing an error message after cca 2 mins since I have started the update that the connection with the device has been lost...I obey the instructions but the message shows over and over again...I checked PC Suite help which says to press and hold ON/OFF buttton on N8 for 10 seconds and then try again, but it doesn`t help...I repaired PC Suite but it doesn`t help neither...the update is not available via FOTA yet...my N8 is 059C5Q8

any suggestions?

thanks

Please use plain text.