Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Symbian Anna

Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Symbian Anna

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

as promised I will keep you up to date on the latest software update developments.

Today, on April 12, Nokia launched the Nokia E6 and the Nokia X7, two new smartphones aimed at business users and entertainment enthusiasts respectively. Both devices run on the newest version of Symbian, which has been nick-named Symbian Anna as part of a newly agreed naming strategy for Symbian (formerly known as PR2.0). Symbian Anna includes fresh, new icons and usability enhancements such as improved text input, a faster browser and refreshed Ovi Maps. In the coming months Symbian Anna will also be available as standard on newly shipping Nokia N8, Nokia E7, Nokia C6-01 and Nokia C7 devices, as well as available to download on previously purchased models of those same smartphones. We will communicate more on this closer to the time.

New software features in Symbian Anna:

• New, fresh icons and usability enhancements
  • Improved text input:
    * Split screen view while typing; see your message thread, webpage, maps, contacts or email
    *Virtual portrait QWERTY for fast, one handed typing
  •  An easier to use and faster browser (address bar visible, pages load faster, improved opening, closing and navigation between windows)
  • Refreshed Ovi Maps with:
    *Simpler and quicker search
    *New public transportation routes
  • For business users:

o    Instant messaging and presence with Microsoft Communicator Mobile

o    E-mail enhancements including full meeting request support

o    True business grade security with HW accelerated encryption

o    Easy and secure intranet access (IPSEC and SSL VPN enablers, intranet application –necessary features for all business users who want to access their company intranet)

BR, yvonne

Please use plain text.
Contributor
alexkos

Tnx!

When it will be available for N8 to update?

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

Symbian Anna? Interesting.

Just wondering why Ovi maps is being tweaked as I find it excellent to use already.

The web browser does need a serious overhaul in terms of speed of connection and general usability though.

Also, with the new update, should you not want to use a "split screen portrait qwerty", will you have the option to use portrait T9 as it is?

And the new Icons - Just a theme or is it a complete UI change?

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
dendennis

I was half expecting the announcement Pr2.0 to be scrapped until Pr3 so good news today,

Does Anna have a new voice for text message reading ?

Will we ever see videos not appearing in the photo gallery?

There is already a video gallery and a separated photo gallery and I would love to keep them separated.

Also photo gallery organization/folders would be nice rather than all the photo's clumped at random on one screen, or will that possibly happen in Pr3 or whatever name it is bestowed.

So far things are looking good but the videos in the photo gallery (and the lack of organization)has always bugged me, cannot wait until I get Anna on my phone though.

Looking forward to May/June/July/August ... well the release date anyhoo :smileyhappy:

(Not really a dig as I'd rather wait for a bug free well tested release rather than a rushed buggy one).

Cheers for the current info.

Please use plain text.
varunsmackboy

hey dude...then when will nokia n8 users get update...

it was told that on 12th pr 2.0 will be available..

today is tuesday n 12th april so where pr2.0 for ma n8 is??

please dont ignore and rply....

SERIOUSLY WAITING FOR SYMBIAN ANNA.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
yanqemil

..for N97 MINi...? new firmare? when?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
permo

[ Edited ]

First; I am happy to read that something is happening with update 2.0 when potensial buyers are moving away from Symbian phones; but:

If Nokia will do righet to established customers they have to realease the update immediately in order to compensate for all frustrations they have suffered lately.

SO; MY GOOD ADVICE TO NOKIA IS: RELEASE THE UPDATE IMMEDIATELY AND THAT MEANS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF NOT; HEY ANDROID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Hi all,

just as a very brief comment again on "when is the update available for my "N8/C7/E7/C6" - here's again what was posted above:

In the coming months Symbian Anna will also be available as standard on newly shipping Nokia N8, Nokia E7, Nokia C6-01 and Nokia C7 devices, as well as available to download on previously purchased models of those same smartphones. We will communicate more on this closer to the time.

That means we can't and don't announce an exact date at the moment, but as I said, I'll keep you updated.

BR<

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Neverryn

thank you skyee for keeping us up to date.

I'm looking forward to getting this update. :-)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
yanqemil

for the "old" N97 mini to avoid the concrete new firmware answer?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
permo

[ Edited ]

The response from Nokia and Yvonne is sad; very sad indeed. I can't believe their thinking when the base of Nokia Symbian users is decreasing for every day passing by.

I have bought the N8 and can very well use it even though I am changing platform. I am tired of Nokia fooling us around.

My world when it comes to updates is that updates should be passed to everyone at the same time and not the stacato manner used by Nokia. This type of management will strike back on to the provider and that is what is happening with Nokia these days.

Again; I am sorre on behalf of the N8 community.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

The new browser and keyboard, along with improved homescreen scrolling are already on the C7 Astound yet existing S^3 owners are forced to wait for a patchy summer release date for the full "anna" update.

This is unacceptable in today's fast paced market. This along with Nokia's product code lottery has forced me to ditch symbian as i'm well and truly sick of the mess. I do hope for Nokia's sake that when they do switch to windows they put an end to the ridiculous mess that surrounds product codes and updates!
Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

psychomania wrote:
The new browser and keyboard, along with improved homescreen scrolling are already on the C7 Astound yet existing S^3 owners are forced to wait for a patchy summer release date for the full "anna" update.

This is unacceptable in today's fast paced market. This along with Nokia's product code lottery has forced me to ditch symbian as i'm well and truly sick of the mess. I do hope for Nokia's sake that when they do switch to windows they put an end to the ridiculous mess that surrounds product codes and updates!

Hey Psycho, is that a goodbye from you?

Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

greycounciller wrote:

psychomania wrote:

Hey Psycho, is that a goodbye from you?

Not a complete goodbye as I look after other people's phones too but my personal phone is now an Android device (Xperia Arc). I'll be participating less on the forums for a while.

Please use plain text.
Sage
dj_nick_t

really sad thing that ppl once so much dedicated like psychomania have to pack up their bags :'( the reason is obvious though... NOK's update policy being so erratic and fragmented.

Previous (starting with '99): 5110 (2 pcs.); 6110; 6150 (2 pcs.); 6210; 6310i; 6680; N70; N73; N82 Silver; N97 Transition Black; N97 mini Cherry Black; iPhone 3GS 16GB Black; iPhone 4 16GB Black; N8-00 Dark Grey; iPhone 4S 16GB Black
Current: 808 PureView Black (Nokia Belle FP2, v113.010.1507) & iPhone 5s 32GB Space Gray (iOS 7.1.2)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

It feels so sad when each one of you is departing. I suppose symbian is dying although i still think that my N8 outperforms the Android 1Ghz monsters

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jerspa

[ Edited ]

Umm,

PR2.0 video leaks have been floating from december '10/january '11, now its april and yet you manage to pull another pulic pr1.2 fiasco by publishing anna and delivering only 100% sure delay for the firmware update?

I mean, What on earth your press team thinks?

Do they think that we love empty promises and delays? like pr1.2 and before that N8 publishing? and yet this one.

Why dont your team adapt to rolling updates instead of when it's done model? and for your own mental health, adapt to move faster and make things in small chunks instead of huge parts...

BTW i am hoping that this time dev team makes sure that every localisations is builded before releasing and not like pr 1.2  hazzle/shuffle/forward/backward moves??

PS.

This image describes the feeling after reading that update is coming in few months.....

sad

Edit:

And when web-tv side of symbian is getting something video renting services or atleast voddler? nokia invested into voddler so i am waiting for voddler to symbian.

Would be damn awesome to plug my phone into tv and watch rented movie instead of dragging my laptop around apartment with all those cables etc...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mohaja

[ Edited ]

It would sounded better if Nokia announce

"Along with the releasing of E6 & X7 we're also rolling out the Symbian Anna aka PR 2.0 as part of our commitment to Symbian developments & to all loyal Nokia customers. You would be receiving the update notification as we speaks & update all your S^3 devices starting with C6 & N8 via OTA or Ovi Suites."

Thats what most Nokians are waiting for... Anyway Yvonne, good job on the initiative of updating the updates progress for PR 1.1/1.2 & 2.0.

Another thing is, why doesn't use the new beautiful Nokia Pure fonts ?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

@psychomania: Thanks for your post. I totally agree and share the same view on this. Right now, Nokia are too inconsistent. and it's really frustrating and annoying.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Sage
branu

[ Edited ]

Promised to not post here again but feel sad for all N8 owner out there..according to Nokia Sweden  the new 2 handset will be available by June and know that Nokia almost everytime delay releases...after that N8 and other symbian 3 phone will get "symbian anna"..so don´t expect any new firmvare until late June or july..Do really Nokia think they can just rename Pr2.0 and call it "Anna" and everybody is happy to now that at least now they confirm It exist..So happy that I switched to android and have a LG2X that works as expected from the beginning and don´t need to hear about updates from Nokia that are being delayed over and over again,what about the webbrowser that should arrive in december and 50+ update early 2011...LOL...you cannot get anything right Nokia that´s why your market share is getting smaller every day...bye again..thanks yvonne for your info..

Please use plain text.