Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Symbian Anna

Counsellor

Now I'm starting to get worried! If Psycho is jumping from the Symbian ship then there must be a good reason for it. Mate, don't go too far away as I really rely on your input heavily
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

jrrsteve wrote:
Now I'm starting to get worried! If Psycho is jumping from the Symbian ship then there must be a good reason for it. Mate, don't go too far away as I really rely on your input heavily

Cheers mate :smileyhappy:

I found "Anna" to be uninspiring, too little too late.  I'm mad that most of the features in "Anna" are available now in the Astound yet they are forcing people to wait because of the silly release schedules.  After using "Anna" on a test device the qwerty keyboard is ok but still miles behind other devices, the browser still isn't that fast (opera mobile is still better IMO) and the new icons are purely cosmetic. 

When we were originally told we'd have to wait until summer for PR2 I was expecting the redesigned homescreen and top bar that appeared months ago but that is still a no show. So to sum it up i'm disappointed in Nokia and don't want to stick around whilst symbian dies a slow death. Sick of all the mess that surrounds updates and product codes too, that is just worse than ever.

I hope things do improve for Nokia and their symbian devices but at the moment i've just had enough. I am very happy with my new android device though! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
alituter

[ Edited ]

[quote]This along with Nokia's product code lottery has forced me to ditch symbian as i'm well and truly sick of the mess.[/quote]

Nokia is doing some things wrong. If some users write "Nokia make me sick" especially like Psycho, that means some things going wrong.
I'm a C6-01 user from 1 month and my favorite toy is my phone. I waiting every day for new update :smileyhappy:
İf you want distress for yourself, you can take a Nokia. İt's best and funy way for you.

I'm waiting excitedly for Anna. İt's last chance for Nokia in my mind.

Nokia 8110, Nokia 5110 ,Nokia 3210
Nokia 6021, Nokia 6610, Nokia 6600,
Nokia 6300, Nokia 5800 and Nokia C6-01
Please use plain text.
r_p_

right now i own two phones: a nokia n8 and a samsung galaxy s (orange branded).

android 2.2 (froyo) was released in may 2010 - the unbranded galaxy s phones got the update in november - i got it in january 2011(!) ...so don't expect to get faster updates with android/samsung.

.. .. i like both phones, but i do prefer my n8 (yes the camera).

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

Psycho's right. I'm completely dumbfounded by the Nokia have done and continue to do things. I came from SE to Nokia and from what I remember, if something wasn't right, it was fixed. Maybe it's the Japanese way, I don't know. With Nokia, it. seems if something ain't right, correct it in a new model! What's the point of the Astound? Are the yanks that gormless? What diff does naming an update make, it's still PR2. And as all who've followed this mess would know, why haven't the core issues been given priority for updating? Why not just give one team xx amount of weeks to fix each issue instead of churning out a rehash of phones with the same failings? In fact, the plan release 40 new phones this year is, ASTOUNDING! I haven't wet e do touched no the variant issue but, my contract is up in August. If Symbian doesn't change by then, maybe I will!
Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Sage
umairkhan

[ Edited ]

Just gone through the posts and feel disappointing for the users of Nokia S^3 waiting and waiting for just small updates. Nokia not taking any major steps in launching quick updates people are getting fed up and switching even don’t like to wait for MAY even as their nothing really coming out that could deliver a better user experience at current mobile phone industry level.

If you like my post or think it was useful then please hit the star button. Thanks :-)
Please use plain text.
varunsmackboy

NOW I CAN SURELY SAY THAT I DID A BIG BIG MISTAKE BUYING A NOKIA PHONE.

WHAT THE **bleep** IS THIS MAN I M NOKIA USER SINCE MY 7TH STD THAT IS NEARLY FOR 6 YEARS BUT NOW THE NOKIA N8(EVEN AFTER BEING A FLAGSHIP CELLPHONE OF NOKIA)RECIVES UPDATES ONCE IN A BLUEMOON!!!!!!

I M STARTING TO FEEL JEALOUS COZ MY ALL FRIENDS HAV ANDROID.BUT I TRUSTED NOKIA AND STAYED A FAMILY MEMBER OF IT.BUT NOW I GET A FEEING THAT NOKIA IS BETRAYING THEIR USERS BADLY...

WHERE THE HELL IS SYMBIAN ANNA...!!!!!

:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

[ Edited ]

skyee wrote:

Hi all,

just as a very brief comment again on "when is the update available for my "N8/C7/E7/C6" - here's again what was posted above:

In the coming months Symbian Anna will also be available as standard on newly shipping Nokia N8, Nokia E7, Nokia C6-01 and Nokia C7 devices, as well as available to download on previously purchased models of those same smartphones. We will communicate more on this closer to the time.

That means we can't and don't announce an exact date at the moment, but as I said, I'll keep you updated.

BR<

yvonne

The famous words WHEN, yes when will it be next quater or the quater after and us all left behind

and "we cant and dont announce exact dates" WE are aware of that BUT SOME TIME FRAME SHOULD BE ANNOUNCED this is the least  us loyal nokia customers deserve and not to be left  WAITING AGAIN

when there is already software out the on the ASTOUND for example,

A good move for nokia now would be to stop the phased updates and release for all and to give us an official answer and statement providing us with some GOOD news and not let this thread run like the N8 PURPLE TINT thread did.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sdrew56

So PR2 become Anna we will all be on Anna-droid  before we get this update if its as slow as the last update runout was, its obviously nearly ready if you have announced its release on new phones please don't keep us hanging.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Lars87

What im irritated about is that Nokia said or promised continued updates to roll out for our Symbian devices. That when i new feature was done it would be pushed out as the likes of the Portrait QWERTY keyboard.

But have we seen that happening, No.

So there Nokia has taken us behind the curtain and has not lived up to the promises we got as customers.

Now the portrait qwerty isent a big deal for me personaly, but the way Nokia handles us that has bought their phones with promises of updates rolling out as soon they a ready makes me sick!

And this N8 maybe my last Nokia since i begun with a 3210 and had maybe 10 phones from Nokia since. Sad but i dont think i can put up with this noncalance that nokia shows us.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ShafiHusain

[ Edited ]

It is disappointing that Nokia does not understand the fact that our devices have a limited life. I purchased N8 in February of this year and Symbian Anna would be available in June. This means, my opportunity to use my device at maximum ease is lost for atleast 6 months out of the device complete life bracket causing a waste of my hard earned money and nothing else !!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CameronS

Well, I don't know if I'm crazy or just not understanding...

I read every post in this thread and simply cannot understand the ongoing rants. Nokia released the N8 (the first Symbian^3 device) in October 2010. That's six months ago. In that time they've announced upgrades to Symbian, announced they are switching to Windows Phone 7 for their top-end smartphone devices (but announced they are sticking with Symbian), and after all that have just announced another upgrade. So, that makes 2 or 3 upgrades announced (depending if you consider PR1.2 an upgrade over PR1.1 or not) since the release of the phone.

Now, the complaints seem to be:

that Nokia is lying to us - not sure how anyone can think that. They've done what they said they would do. They could have easily stopped development after announcing the Microsoft thing but clearly haven't. They took a long time to roll out PR1.1, but hopefully have learnt some lessons (one of which may be to delay further rollouts until they're all varaints are ready...).

Symbian is bad (in lots of different ways) - well yes, I don't particularly like the Symbian^3 UI (for a host of reasons). My understanding is that Nokia were trying to keep existing customers happy by maintaining UI experience from earlier versions of Symbian, and I think that was a mistake (but that's my opinion, and there seem to be many here who have grown up using Nokia phone interfaces and would be very upset if Nokia changed it). But all this talk of UI ignores the fact that the UI is simply the shell over the OS (ie the Symbian^3 UI is Nokia's implementation of a UI over the Symbian^3 OS). That doesn't necessarily make the OS bad. Just look at what Microsoft did (do you really think that's a whole new OS under the very pretty WP7 UI? Of course not). In my case I bought SPB Mobile Shell and have a totally different UI that is smooth, fun to use and easy to navigate.

Nokia is slow - I wouldn't call this release shedule slow at all. Most software companies (look once again at Microsoft and Google) operate on an annual release shedule, and in the case of Microsoft NONE of their existing customers could upgrade because WP7 will not run on older hardware.

Android is so much better - well, I say to you, go, enjoy, peace (and stop airing your complaints here to Nokia users, in the hope of changing Nokia's development strategy). If you are truly going to Android or whatever else away from Nokia, you are no longer a Nokia user and don't really have an interest in a forum for Nokia users.

I bought the N8 because I believe it's the best phone for my purposes (in fact I think it's a damn fine phone). I am pleased Nokia are continuing to develop the capabilities of the phone and improve it, and hope they continue to do so for the next couple of years so that I can make the most of the phone for it's useful life. I personally think they're doing a great job and can't understand all the ill-feeling that's generated towards them.

Please use plain text.
Sage
branu

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

What has that to do with the current topic?

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Nokidding6666

Sad that we have to wait longer,well this will be my last Nokia phone when they close down symbian,don´t wanna have a WM phone either so I will go android.Just wonder how many are still working on symbian project.If they should end with symbian and I worked there I would have been very fast to search work elsewhere,can that be one reason why everything takes such a long time for Nokia.Must say that the employes at beta lab is doing an exellent job..well we have to wait a couple of months moore befoore we see anna...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
athlon7750

@camerons

Earlier symbian phones, in fact symbian S60v5 phones are still been sold by nokia cannot be upgraded to Symbian 3 so your WP7 and earlier win phones is not really a good example, I think it is accepted that if you want the latest version of a phone o/s you buy a new phone.

This is fine by me, I did not expect my N97 to be able to run S3 but check the N97 firmware discussion 900 + posts and a phone nokia seems to have dropped support for in July/Aug less than 18 months after it went on sale.

After the owning an N97 which is still no where near what Nokia promised / said it would be. I was not going to buy another Nokia, but then I thought maybe they had learned from the N97 mistakes. After reading about the improvements coming to the N8 software in Q1 this year I bought an N8 ..... 2 weeks before the WP7 annoucment.

Nokia could have stopped development of Symbian 3 and they would not have been able to sell another S3 smartphone it would be nearly a year untill the first WP7 phone, so no it is not out of charity that they are developing symbian, they want your money.

Improvments were supposed to come in Q1 50 + improvements. I do not believe this will come untill after the X7 is launched probably in june. That will be nearly the end of Q2 and nearly 8 months after the phone went on sale. They probably won`t release it any earlier in case this affects X7 sales.

Take everything Nokia says with a pinch of salt, and sometimes it is worth remembering that English is not the first language of many people on these boards and sometimes their posts can seem more harsh and critical than was intended.

Please use plain text.
varunsmackboy

hey skyee y temme y this forum has been made....so that the nokia users get proper answers from you people..

but i tell u wats happening...

v r putting our problems and questions here n nobody is answering thm...hehe sounds funny na..

bt it is not..

i m gonna post everyday in this forum till i get symbian anna for my n8...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

varunsmackboy wrote:

hey skyee y temme y this forum has been made....so that the nokia users get proper answers from you people..

but i tell u wats happening...

v r putting our problems and questions here n nobody is answering thm...hehe sounds funny na..

bt it is not..

i m gonna post everyday in this forum till i get symbian anna for my n8...

Dont expect it any day soon.....

Now using the Lumia 1520
Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

CameronS wrote:

Well, I don't know if I'm crazy or just not understanding...

I read every post in this thread and simply cannot understand the ongoing rants..... etc

I completely agree with you CameronS.

One has to wonder about people who buy phones which don't have the particular functionality that they want. They seem to just select and buy a phone blindly and then when they find it doesn't do what they want  they rush off to blame everyone else for their own folly.  I assume that when they want to buy a family saloon car they are inclined to buy a two seater sports saloon instead and then blame Porche or whoever because they cannot fit their family of 6 in it.

They also seem to think that because they do not like something then the whole of the rest of the millions in the user community does not like it too and so it must be fixed by Nokia. They also assume that if there is a glitch on their phone that it must be a bug and is then Nokia's to fix. Whereas in fact it is plain from these forums that it is often because they don't know how to set the phone up, there is a problem (software or hardware) that their phone suffers from, and I suspect in many cases the problem is due to non Nokia software, including themes, that is loaded.

They also think that the rest of the user community is hanging waiting for every update so they can load it as soon as possible and not feel left out compared to those who may get the update before them. Whereas in fact, I would warrant that the majority of the user community never update their phones - and the number of ranters here represent only a minuscule proportion of the user community. Because I checked out my phone's functionality before purchase for myself  I really do not care how long PR2.0/Anna takes to appear.

In the end if these people move off to the phones they should have bought in the first place if they had done their phone selection homework properly, whether that be to Android, Apple or whatever, then that is all to the good. I like to see the other manufacturers succeeding too, not just Nokia, that in the interests of competition that we will all benefit from. Of course, the nature of the ranters is such that they will find plenty to rant about over their other manufacturer's phone when they get it and find that the world outside Nokia is not a perfect place either.

Positively though, reading the rants is both a lesson in human psychology and an entertainment so they provide a service to the world - I personally don't come across people in my own life who feel that they want to throw electronic devices at the wall, freely call manufacturers and their employees liars or incompetent, that have such an exaggerated sense of self entitlement, etc when they don't work as they imagined they should or an update is in their view slow coming and which they hope it will correct their own purchasing mistake and fix the things they find they do not like. These are all attributes of teenagers which I would assume many of the ranters are.

There are some mature people though that offer some well set out good points and helpful support. Just a pity one has to wade through so much rubbish to get to it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DeiL

when and where can we get the new symbian anna? Im xcited bout it n0w!
Please use plain text.