Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Symbian Belle - Our expectations

Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Personally, I hate live wallpapers. I have an Android phone to go with my Nokia, and after a week of using live wallpapers because they were cool, I deleted the lot of them from the phone. They use up too much battery, effectively, a phone with live wallpaper reduces your phone's battery life by 30% or more depending on the wallpaper. No thanks.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
smis1

How about when pressing the power button for the option to have restart or reest.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Yup, Live wall papers do have their effects on battery life... But the option to put a live wall paper will give the choice of customization in the hands of the user... He or she may or may not want to use it... :-)
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.
Sage
andy232

I think Belle could bring better stability (I'm not sure if Anna does that because I live in the US :smileytongue:) but a phone that keeps hanging and freezing and even restrating on its own can be annoying to say the least.

Belle should bring a better FEEL to our Symbian phones, especially in terms of transitions between panes, minor animations to make it look more up-to-date without overkill, and I can certainly do without animated wallpapers hogging my E7's resources!

More homescreens might be nice but not essential. I'm after really helpful things like a better browser, a more fluid, consistent experience through the UI, not all this hanging and stuttering.

I would love it if I flipped open the keyboard from the sleeping screen, and it didn't take 5 seconds to bring up the homescreen... just sayin  

Nokias: 232, 3210, 3330, 6230, 6101, 6021, 6126, E75, E73, N900, N8, E6, E7, N9. There's a Samsung in there somewhere too, but...we don't talk about that.
Please use plain text.

I would be fine, if I got 36 hours of battery life (E7) without turning off 3G, pushmail and communicator.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gbora87

Symbian Belle is a Biiiiggggg improvement & facelift to symbian.... love it... but ....

I request nokia to make the notification drop down bar also contain the flash message (that typical after call balance message) and delivery reports notifications w/out any tone or vibration .. so that one can enjoy watching videos, listening music, checking out mails w/out any interruption. enable music player widget to seek (forwrd/rewind) the track right from the homescreen..

and improve the text entry and editing (in T9) also add some more cool animated smileys..

make the camera update permanent..
 plllsss improve HINDI fonts.., its totally unreadable some times.., i can't read HINDI posts & news on my social networks..

improve SOCIAL..., Add notifications.. integrate fb chat... pppplllllsssss... and the posts via N8 should be followed by - via Nokia N8... similarly for E7, X7,, C7 etc.. ppplllssss...

I'll be happy to see my request accepted.. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DicksonNZ

I think four well needed updates would be:
• To reduce the amount of compression used in photos, a 9 megapixel image shouldn't be so tiny, the amount of compression used severely impacts on colour and detail, many pictures I've taken look awful despite the Carl Zeiss optics.

• Allow for mkv files at 720p to play with up to 8 reference frames if possible, the current limit of 4 reference frames is irritating as so many of my mkv files have 5-8 reference frames and so become unplayable. Even if a slight overclock to 800MHz is required, it shouldn't prove too taxing on the phone.

• Update music player so that rather than have to pick out songs from each individual album from one artist and organise them into a playlist, allow us to pick ALL songs from the artist to play normally, as I'm sick of having to set up 20 playlists for 20 different artists simply due to them having 3-10 albums each.

• Improve the version of Flash being used. So many sites using flash video are incompatible with Flash Lite 4.0 or whatever my N8 is using currently. Why not give us flash 10 or 10.1, as this should be able to work on the N8 and similar spec phones!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

I'd love to see some bugs seen in Anna fixed in belle... First of all the exit button at the bottom of menu screen does not actually exit the menu but only sends it to the background. It should either actually exit from menu or the button should be renamed as 'back'. And typing with T9 dictionary should be improved. And typing with T9 off in opera doesn't work.
blitZkid
Please use plain text.
Sage
andy232

--First of all the exit button at the bottom of menu screen does not actually exit the menu but only sends it to the background. It should either actually exit from menu or the button should be renamed as 'back'.--

Oh dear, that's a little silly. I am actually surprised that not more features from Maemo5 (N900) are being incorporated. I mean, just google it, nearly everyone agrees that the N900's browser, MicroB is the very best out there, but which other devices can you find it on? Umm....

Also, the multitasking on the N900 just can't be beat. In case you don't know, there is a tiny icon in the corner of every app, every screen, that when pressed zooms all of your open apps into a grid. They've updated it on the N9, but it's also similar to Expose on a Mac. It's SOOO easy and quick, and if you want to close an app, each little icon in the multitasking view has an X so you can say adios easily.

Also, wallpapers slide WITH the icons when swiping left and right to a different homescreen.

There are options to have a different colour on the notification led for texts, emails, missed calls, battery low, charging. Why has this been ditched?

I like that *some* of Maemo5's features are being used, but I find it puzzling that Maemo5 is a product of Nokia, so why not just borrow and steal from a platform they own anyway, and that is now (essentially) dead, meaning that no future updates or support exist.

Belle has the potential to really change the Symbian landscape for the better, but I think Nokia needs to look back to their 2009 masterpiece (N900) and grab some more great ideas that the Maemo team came up with.

Oh, and being able to bring up an arrow-pointer in the browser (like in any computer browser) and then select text with it, copy+paste, and use it elsewhere is sorely missed on my E7. Unless I'm not reading the manual properly, this can't be done unless you own the N900.

Maybe there will be more of Maemo's successful features in Symbian Carly/Christine/Chloe next year. 

Nokias: 232, 3210, 3330, 6230, 6101, 6021, 6126, E75, E73, N900, N8, E6, E7, N9. There's a Samsung in there somewhere too, but...we don't talk about that.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Stormad

Faster GPS localisation, because it still takes a lot of time to find a satelite fix!

The rest is al good!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SputniX

Well, when the N8 first came out, I was intrigued by the design and camera, but disappointed by the then 'new' OS. Now with the promise of Symbian Belle updates, the N8 suddenly looks like a very good bargain. So since I am in the US for a couple weeks presently, I ordered and received an N8 from Amazon, and since it was a US version, I immediately flashed it with the UK Country Version OS (Anna Update). Anna looks miles better than the S3 original, and though still more tedious to use than the other new OSes out there, it is more attractive and useable and not as laggy as before. Browser and portrait QWERTY work well and despite the small portrait QWERTY key size and my big fingers, is decent to type on. 

Definitely looking forward to Belle, and if Nokia was serious about becoming relevant once again, they would drop this stupid idea of killing off everything they have for WP7, and make these updates immediately available in the US and other key markets more quickly. I mean, if it wasn't for the promise of Belle, I would never have decided to get an N8 when it appears obselete !

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Switching between various programs running in the background from the navigation bar as one would do with tabs of opera browser would be great... :-)
blitZkid
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

Something that some of you who use your phone for business related stuff as well, might like will soon be included in belle. have a look here http://newsroom.accenture.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=4853

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

[ Edited ]

Nokia 701 with Belle have same old video player
it doesnt remember video position so if you leave movie at 01.48.13 of length around 2.25.16 then you have to trust your finger and have to try 10-15 clicks to resume movie/video to desired state
again video player supports only half backed codecs that means most of videos/movies would only play audio
BIG SHAME.....Nokia X7......would be my last Nokia phone

"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star button would be considered as thanks.....Current phone Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
eolos

[ Edited ]

This is imperative, no other thing.

One: Nokia promised some time ago Flash version 10....I purchase my nokia n8 for this and because have hardware acceleration.

TWO: remove names of access direct of the icon in the mains desktops...Imperative, this is a think unthinkable and rare....The names removes visual space of the desktop, this is a joke.

THREE:  PERSONAL EQUALIZED  for the music player.......This is  a BIG joke, very big and rare.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This other not are very important.

FOUR: an access direct to the brightness in the video player... And maybe photo player.

Unlock the phone by touch movement sequence....

Zoom by touch with the finger like nokia photo browser..........Rare.

NO, repeat NO, charge more tools in memory when the phone star/restart.................no more tools in memory or a tool in the option for add app in the start................... This is a personal smartphones...

More compatibility with the GIF animations in the phone, and in the gallery poor speed in the animations....icons , etc lots in internet too.

Videolan mediaplayer  for Symbian.......millions of symbian phones, rare very rare that vlc not in symbian.......lots of different movies in internet lots of movies downloades with the phone, via 3g, wifi , etc......  rare, strategic marketing etc again.

etc

Thanks, a greeting and good work to all.  Ave a nice week-end all.

Please use plain text.
eolos

Thanks to all again. .-)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Kjetto

you should abe able to have a home screen full of calendar entries and not just a tiny box, so that you can easily see all the tasts or to-do list on one home screen. this would really be usefull to those who use the cell phone for puting reminders very often.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
DicksonNZ

Another thing that needs to be added is the ability to manipulate how long an alarm tone plays for. I have my alarm set to play a loud, noisy song to try and wake me up, but it's no use when it fades in for 10 seconds and then cuts off after 1 minute. I am a very deep sleeper, and having to set up 3 instances of the alarm, each one 2 minutes apart, is a ridiculous workaround for what shouldn't be such a silly oversight. Why only let it run for one minute? Can't we be given the option to let it play continuously? I hate it when after all 3 instances have played through I wake up about 90 minutes later and realise I'm running late, simply because of this stupid limitation imposed by Nokia. Surely it can't be that hard to fix this?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

And currently in Anna, when I reply to a message, it just returns back to the inbox which didn't happen in my previous phone. Trying to delete the message or wanting to send another reply through the same message has now become tedious. Hope this is fixed in belle...
blitZkid
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Looks like symbian belle is going to beat everyone's expectation by arriving sooner than expected...
www.n8fanclub.com/2011/10/symbian-belle-to-be-expected-on-26th.html?m=1
blitZkid
Please use plain text.