Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Symbian Belle update delayed again?

Contributor
elio1992

Symbian Belle update delayed again?

[ Edited ]

Man Nokia have really become pathetic. Before anyone starts bashing me, like I said in my previous post I am a loyal Nokia customer, I have had all kinds of different Symbian phones and have a N8 here in the US where Symbian is dead and almost nobody knows of Symbian. Not only have Nokia fallen from the throne as mobile kings but their employees here are anything but helpful, if you get disappointed that Belle is delayed you are told to leave and join an Apple forum or you are told that Belle will be released in Q4 2011 and then it gets delayed to Q1 2012.

1. First of all Belle brings features that other OS have had for over a year now so it's not bringing anything new at all cause if it was then the delay would be justified.

2. We are closely going into 2012 and Nokia still producing phones like X2-05 or with s40 to compete with dual core phones. Nokia has yet to produce one 4G phone while others have done that in the beginning of 2011. Up until September Nokia didn't even have a 1GHz phone available while others have tons of dual core phones in the market.

3. When polls/statistics are conducted showing which operating system people use more, Symbian doesn't even appear in the US region (probably under "Others") and it is no longer number one in Europe or Asia. Even in Finland Nokia has lost 50% of it's market meaning that only 30 something % of people use a Nokia phone, how embarassing.

4. For anyone who is going to say that you only pay for the phone and it's current OS, not for updates, well I suggest that they wake up and realize that we live in 2011 and not 2004 anymore. Software updates are mandatory to all electronic devices, please name one TV, cellphone, game console etc that does not offer software updates at all and only has the original software to offer. NONE! Softwares always get updated because of new features that come out and to fix bugs, Nokia is way behind with features and it has thousands of bugs/glitches so yeah, updates are mandatory!

5. It is really a shame that Nokia has left the Symbian OS totally behind. All the Nokia blogs and pages talk about WP7, the Nokia World Conference this October hardly even mentioned Symbian. Symbian has brought Nokia where it is and look at how it's being handled. Pathetic.

6. Nokia N9? Genius and the most stupid thing ever done by Nokia. The phone is excellent, unique and it can outsell all the Androids and iPhones out there and yet it is given an OS which Nokia itself will not develop. How to you expect something so great and awesome to sell when it's the only current generation phone out there with Meego and you declare that you will not make any other Meegos or develop the one you have? Stupid stupid stupid.

7. Anna was announced back in March/April and still hasn't been received by all regions, Belle was announced in late August and no time soon will it get released.

I dont know what's happened to this great company. Using out of date services and softwares, delaying updates with features already in the market and most importantly zero customer service. Like I said, wake up Nokia cause times have change, you can no longer be in the market thinking that people use phones like N95. I had never considered having any other phone besides a Symbian phone but delaying Belle was the last straw. I defend Nokia here in the US where they decided to pull out 6 months ago but I have basically run out of facts and arguments to defend Nokia. I will forever be a Nokia fan and even though I am looking for another phone, the only two options are Nokia Lumia 800 or 710 becuase like I said above I am a loyal customer.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

You can't really say Belle is delayed because there was no specific date or month announced by Nokia for Belle release
Please use plain text.
Advisor
danko_r

Big Kudos for elio1992. You are completly right! Nokia isn't king of the hill anymore and they cannot continue to act with this confidence. Maybe a couple of years ago nokia could do something like software delays and so on, because the other manufacturers couldn't simply keep up. But now there is a completly different story, nokia has to really try to reach the level of service and quallity of the other competitiors in order to stay in business. Nobody, even me as loyal fan, will stick to nokia for good old times sake. Not for long.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
elio1992

Well according to Nokia's official twitter is was supposed to come out on Q4 2011 but most likely it won't come out in these remaining 2 weeks.

Either way introducing a scroll down notification bar and making the menu flat without any folders shouldn't take +6 months to release.

Please use plain text.
Sage
torchaj

[ Edited ]

elio1992 wrote:

Well according to Nokia's official twitter is was supposed to come out on Q4 2011 but most likely it won't come out in these remaining 2 weeks.

Either way introducing a scroll down notification bar and making the menu flat without any folders shouldn't take +6 months to release.

Its not that guys, the OS is visually and performance wise very good and much better than the previous versions. And I do realise that there are some major updates taking place in symbian belle development and now the beta testing has begun.

If you rush nokia to release a buggy OS, then too there will be complaints so nokia is taking the time to develop the OS with least or no bugs at all.
So please be patient guys...

Belle will be release when ready...!!! 

Proud owner of Nokia's C6-01, N8, 701, Lumia 800 and Google Nexus Prime..!!!
Patience is a virtue, reaping fruits of Wisdom..!!!
Arjun Paliath,
India
Please use plain text.
Contributor
elio1992

If they take all this time to release an OS with least bugs possible, that is totally unacceptable from a large company as Nokia. If they release it with no bugs at all, then it's fine but I highly doubt that will be the case.

Symbian Anna was supposed to not have any major bugs either when it was first launched by that clearly wasn't the case.

Either way, softwares will always have bugs no matter what and you know why? Cause of the applications you install. Each company works to release a software update without any bugs/glitches happening to it's default applications but everyone installs third party applications on their phones and those applications sometimes contain bugs or cause default applications to glitch so having an OS without bugs is impossible. No company has managed to do it yet and I highly doubt anyone will.

Basically what I'm trying to say is release Belle already Nokia cause it's been forever since it's been announced and delay it how much you want, it will have bugs no matter what.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
ajaydavidson

Belle is somewhat similar to the other operating systems that are competing with Nokia. And Nokia is providing us Belle to make us feel up to date. But I think the time when all Nokia users will be having Belle, others will be having something even more advanced than Belle or their current OS.
Nokia C7
Please use plain text.
Advisor
dcwirtz

elio1992 wrote:

2. We are closely going into 2012 and Nokia still producing phones like X2-05 or with s40 to compete with dual core phones. Nokia has yet to produce one 4G phone while others have done that in the beginning of 2011. Up until September Nokia didn't even have a 1GHz phone available while others have tons of dual core phones in the market.

Nokia has produced the Lumia 710. It is a 4G phone that will be released in the US in the coming weeks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
elio1992

First of all the Lumia 710 is a HSPA+ phones a.k.a fake 4G phone. For a phone to be 4G it must be LTE and not HSPA+. HSPA+ is simply 3.5G, sometimes they put 4G instead of 3.5G but that's it.

Even if you are to consider the Lumia 710 as a 4G phone, try asking HTC when their first 4G phone was released and how many they currently have. You'll see the major gap.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Lars87

Well Nokia did release Symbian Belle Q4 with Nokia 701, 700 and 603!

Please use plain text.
corpse3334

C6-01 for I would like to Belle, Other S ^ 3 devices for output, Why not doing for C6-01?

Please use plain text.
Sage
Lars87

Newer phones as 701 and 700 will get updates before older phones. And i belive that the more popular phones from the first gen Symbian^3 phones will get it before the C6-01 that will get it last. First N8, then C7, E7, X7 and then C6-01. E6 will have Belle before C6-01 i think.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

@Lars87 I dont think that c6-01 will receive update after delay because it received Anna update at same time with other older models like n8,c7 and e7
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

elio1992 wrote:

First of all the Lumia 710 is a HSPA+ phones a.k.a fake 4G phone. For a phone to be 4G it must be LTE and not HSPA+. HSPA+ is simply 3.5G, sometimes they put 4G instead of 3.5G but that's it.

Even if you are to consider the Lumia 710 as a 4G phone, try asking HTC when their first 4G phone was released and how many they currently have. You'll see the major gap.

firstly there are currently 2 standards LTE and Wimax, some countries are using LTE and others are using Wimax. HOwever Wimax is meant more for mobile broadband.

Secondly HSPA+ is actually 3.9G not 3.5G

Also the first 2 publicly availlable networks for 4G were opened in stockholm by ericsson and NOKIA Siemens Networks, and Oslo by huawei based system.

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

1. Many OS's have after all copied Nokia to start with, and considering Belle for symbian ^3 has not been officially released as yet, it hard to say exactly what will be included. Even those who have used the unofficial versions have said that it has changed 3 times now.

2.Nokia produce many more phone than any other manufacturer, which means if someone wants something that works like a phone they can buy it, if they want something that is more like a PC they can buy it also. Most other companies have a few phones and if they don't suit you then tough luck.

3.Much of the press have stated that symbian has been around since the beginning, and can't look beyond their own noses, to see how flexible symbian can be. After all this time Iphones with there so called revolutionary OS has only now received OTA updates.

4.Yes updates are good things, and yes they are offered as you said to fix bugs and to apply no features, however you still don't buy a phone in the beginning due to some feature that may or may not appear in a future update. You still buy the phone for what it currently does.Nobody knows the future!!! and for you to suggest otherwise is just purely ridiculous. Software updates are not mandatory, they, as YOU said, are OFFERED by the relevant company, you don't have to install the update and nor do companies HAVE to give you an update, they do give them because it makes economical sense for them to do so, having said that there will come a time when updates will NOT be offered for the particular phone or whatever.

5.Agreed I would like to see them develop it further.

6.The N9 does look a very nice phone, Not having used Meego however it is hard for me to say one way or the other. But I do think its silly to produce one phone with an OS and then just dump it, before its had a chance.

7.As far as Anna not being received by all regions, mostly this is purely a carrier issue.The carriers have said NO or just have not completed testing etc. I know Telstra Australia received Anna back in June/July and didn't agree to it until December, however other Australian network operators agreed much sooner. These kinds of issues with carriers cannot be controlled by Nokia. It certainly wouldn't surprise me after everyone on here complained about it not being released worldwide in one go, if nokia got all the approvals first then did a single release. I'm not saying this is what they are doing of course only that if they did it wouldn't surprise me.

Personally I have no issue with customer service at least not here in Australia with Nokia. Frankly judging by some peoples attitude on this forum, and I'm not pointing at anyone in particular, I have to wonder why they are here. I do belong to some other forums and honestly I have never seen people whinge and complain like they do on here, which I think is a real shame. These people don't seem to realize that this is a user forum, that happenes to be hosted on the nokia servers, designed to allow users to help other users. I feel quite sure if people made reasonable suggestions for products and services, instead of opening the same type of threads over and over again, then we would have more Nokia involvement in the forum and we could even have the opportunity to influence the powers to be, to include some of the things that we think are worthwhile. But hey its easier to whinge and complain than to use their brains to come up with something constructive.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lamotti

I've always owned a Nokia phone, even the touch screen phones its always been Nokia, latest was Nokia N8 but that was probably the last Nokia phone I'm probably going to buy. Now I've got an iPhone 4 and my word there in a night and day difference on how much better iOS is compared to Symbian, just can'e beleive what I was missing out on using Symbian all those years when there was iOS and Android available. Its just so easy to use, everything is available with a touch, Symbian just seems so clunky, unresponsive most of the time and just not built for touch screen smart phones.

Not a big fan of Windows so I doubt i'd be switching to Nokia any time soon, unless they use android which isn't going to happen. For now, imo iOS and Androids are the OS to go for if you want a good smart phone.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
imaginaryenemy

i want belle as much as anyone, but geez...  android and ios were around when you got your symbian^3 device, right?  if you liked symbian more than those when you bought your phone, i dont see why you are so **bleep** now...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
ajaydavidson

According to me, Nokia should be unique so because of this they should never go for android which is an open mobile platform. But it would have been better if Nokia made some good phones with high Ram and processor and then with Symbian OS. Most of the people prefer Symbian over windows. But its upto Nokia we cannot do anything other than just commenting here.
Nokia C7
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

Whilst Andriod is a little flashy, it is open platform and currenty more prone to being hacked. Which at the moment is happening more and more. And there are far too many different versions of OS even in the same class. Eg. Gingerbread is not just gingerbread, it can sometimes have several version all for different phone manufacturers, and all being tested by carriers which are consuminbg the resources of carriers to test and release versions quickly.

IOS well what can you say whilst its easy to use, its still behind when compared to symbian or Andriod, and again prone to hacking, not as much as Andriod but certainly more than Symbian. It lacks the features that Nokia have developed and been using for many years, although it is improving.

Symbian, whilst it can take a little while to develop and release, it is constantly improving and becoming faster and more efficient  Eg. my E7 with its 680Mhz cpu is now as fast as the new Samsung Galaxy S2 with it's dual core processor for most standard tasks. Just proving how an efficient OS can make a real difference when it comes to limited resources.

I firmly believe Symbian still has quite some development left in it, and believe that as a Mobile OS, it is still possible the best. Having said that i do also beleive that the writers of the various Symbian OS's over the last few years have become, what i call, wasteful programmers, that is the way the code was written was not the most efficient way, and as such it has led many to beleive that Symbian was past its use by date. Lets face it code is code in the end but how you use is the key to it all. Theres the easy way of writing, but the most sloppy, or the hard way, but the most efficient. The quality of Nokia handsets are beyond possible all other manufacturers, it has been the way the OS's have been written for the last couple of years, with Anna we have begun to see a change for the better i believe, and Belle hopefully will be the next biggest step in this change. What comes after that is possible anyones guess, if there is anything at all. I hope there is.   

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Soumeet

i am a student and can't put a lot money on phones so I'm eagerly awaiting symbian belle release.
Please use plain text.