Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Symbian vs Android

Registered Member
Raajuev

What it?
Counsellor
subhadeep_c7

@donofworld- nt only higher end, the phone of minimal value also has some faults. Nt phones, each and every electrical device can have a fault anytime. This is undenieable. U cant name a device in whole world which is 100% perfect.

Mobile Visionary
donofworld

but dude at stiff price range of galaxy s 2 it has 3 very annoying faults like yellow tint issue(not in all units),over heating issue(almost in all units),pink spot in pics captured by its camera(again almost all units)
While for nokia......n8 and c7 only have purple tint issues not any other serious faults
Remember htc and lg new 3d smart phones are also costly like sgs2 but they dont have faults!
Counsellor
subhadeep_c7

AMOLED is actually a sophisticated technology. A little error in manufacture process and and it bears a tint, thts too common. U wont beleive, bt i spotted the yellow tints on one of thd LED tvs of samsung too...
I wanna say that, yes i agree they r a issue but how it affects our life in such a way! Its just spotted while watching videos and sometimes pics, so its useless to run after the purple tint. Its just nothing for me.
Plus nokia's symbian though being reputed a poor software is being provided updates, both major and minor and yes, faster than android, so why is people so much annoyed just for a few days (ok, maybe a few month) delay in release of anna update!!

Advisor
Taigatrommel

Personally I used an HTC Desire Z (T-Mobile G2 in the US) before switched over to the Nokia E7. The Desire Z ran Android 2.2 with HTCs "Sense" UI. I don't want to run down a complete comparison now, just a few thoughts. Android delivered, especially with Sense, quite some eyecandy. Raindrops on the display when you had rainy wheather, screen would frost when it was snowy or you have been blinded by lens flares when it was sunny. There was quite some animation everywhere, the large wallpaper backed up the overall impression. You could even use live, animated wallpapers if you like. Virtually everything was fluid, rarely the system slowed down. From a basic user experience, HTC delivered much more "Whoa, that's cool!" moments with Android.

Symbian^3 is more like a workhorse, without most of the beauty, it simply gets things done. When it comes to a user friendly experience, I'd say that Android ain't better than Symbian^3. There are some things which S^3 does better, on the other side there is stuff which is better designed at Android. I can't say which one is the clear winner, after all it depends on your needs. If you are a heavy Google apps user, for example Mail, Calendar, Contacs, Reader and so on, Android is an awesome option. When you get your phone, you insert your SIM, boot it up, log in with your Google account and virtually everything gets synced and setup. You get your calendar events, your contacts and mails. It is a pretty hassle free thing. However if you do not really use any of these Google services, things are getting annoying. For example you couldn't really use the calendar on the Desire Z without having a Google Calendar setup.

Both systems have their strengths and downsides. Personally I do not regret the switch from Android "back" to Symbian. Symbian has some annoying quirks, but so does Android. There is no perfrect system out there which does really everything right without any hassles. It makes me feel a bit sad to be honest reading many reviews and opinions. Obviously the only thing matters today in terms of mobile phones would be 1.5+ GHz dual-core CPUs, huge loads of RAM and the number of applications the marketplaces have to offer. Everything else doesn't count. Simple as is.

Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@Taigatrommel - couldnt agree more. Which is why I tend to stick to GSMArena for reviews. They're pretty unbiased overall. The only sad thing about Symbian is that the developers are leaving, which wouldnt have happened if Nokia did not burn their old development roadmap to MeeGo. But then, WP7 is looking very good. While Android may have excellent integration to cloud, it seems that WP7 will be built to have excellent integration to your PC (especially Office apps like Outlook and OneNote), which is perfect for those people who dont want their data on air.

In fact, I am so excited by WP7/Win8 that I have already built a multiple-way sync between my Google account, Windows Live Account and Outlook, in preparation of Win8 tablets (hopefully by Nokia with GPS, telephony and SMS). I'll be looking to retire my 5800 for a tablet :smileyhappy:

This is the benefit of having two networks (as the work phones of doctors at the hospital and school where I study is a different network than my personal), I can use two different OS at the same time. :smileyhappy:
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Advisor

Symbians' simply the best ... (up to now)... had no problems with Symbians till now... phones i've owned and used: 6600 (used for 2 years and still running) - 6680 (used 1 1/2 year and lost)- N73 (still running)- 5250 (gifted to my wife in on 13 May 2011)- C7-00 (used only one day and returned it as prefering E7 or N8) and now my N8-00 (own it for 3 weeks now & chosen this one for its 12mp cam and HDMI). Those people used to androids would just tell the same about their stuffs but for me its just... come on Symbians... Symbian Power Rocks!!!
Counsellor
santo98rini

ChanChan,

Thanks for the valuable answers.

My next question is for you :

CAN I TRANSFER DATA (PHOTO, VIDEO, SMS ) from Symbian phone to Android phone ??

Thanks in advance..... 

Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@Santo98rini - this isnt an Android based forum, so refrain from asking Android specific questions here, especially since this is a Nokia based forum and Nokia doesnt have Android phones.

Photos, Music and Videos of course, either via bluetooth or PC. Their just like any other form of media data. For SMS its a bit tricky. You need to export your SMS into an XML file. Ovi exports in CSV, so you need another program to convert that (like Nokia2AndroidSMS.exe), then you transfer that XML file to your phone and then you have to have SMS Backup and Restore app to restore that XML file to your new phone.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Counsellor
santo98rini

ChanChan,

I understand your concern.

Thanks for great support...

Mobile Visionary
no1_slumko

The media isn't doing Symbian any good. Symbian's position in the US is being portrayed as their global position and just giving people reason to migrate to other OS's. The fact that it's not "idiot proof" is being portrayed as a weakness and many take every opportunity to expose it.
I love Symbian's structure and out of the box "completeness" It's the one OS that gives you the most control over your device. You bought the phone Symbian lets you do with it as you please and gives you more than one way to do it in most cases so you always have a backup
Show your appreciation. Hit that kudos button real hard
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Well what can we say, American media like to take care of the idiots. :smileyhappy: No offense to anyone, but if you protect the being idiots of idiots and make things easy for them, they'd always be idiots.
Sage
SR_N8

Thanx for
Counsellor
portoghella

Hi Chan Chan

I guess Symbian is a little older than Android, in the sense that's not based on X org as Maemo does and Android too......

But I have a N900 and an HTC and it's clear that the first one is better regarding matters on WLAN connectivity and a lot of stuff. You can configure 2 access points giving to the first one a Static IP and to the second leaving the DHCP to work; on HTC Wildfire running Android 2.2 Froyo it's not possible. I guess the bug has been fixed on Gingerbread. Then it's possible to connect over SSH my ubuntu to my N900 and install apps or doing a lot of actions, as delete hidden files for example fring.log, impossible to delete by device file manager or 3rd party file managers. There are a lot of people against Nokia but i guess that it 's a good trade. Iphone is for people who wants to have apps without having to think anything about that. Android is different. Made by Google for Linux users. Now it's a trend. But as you know the Linux kernel is an alternative way to Apple. I prefer Google than Apple.

BR

Mobile Overlord
jimmyireland

Battery life really needs improvement its appauling.

Having had the N8/E7 and now using the X7,the X7 battery life is less than the N8.this is not on in todays world.

Also with the N8/E7/X7 having the unit sealed for no battery removal is ALSO not on.

If  i have helped at all a click on the white star below would be nice thanks.

Now using the Lumia 1520
Advisor
rajbow

[ Edited ]

My Xperia lasts ~4 hours and my N8 lasts for more than day - with full wifi intranet/internet access. With Power Saving Mode activated - it is a whopping 3 days!

Connectivity: My N8 works everywhere. Xperia doesn't. 

The number of apps: I have the most on Xperia - But least productive - i need a app for even a simple bluetooth transfer. With N8 i get all i need out of the box. The apps I have installed are cool on my N8: Nokia Situations, Nokia Panorama, Camera Tools, 3D image convertor, Sleeping Screen, Live View, Big Screen, Nokia Drop, Play To, Paired a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse and with WebTV and Anna Web Browser (Previously Opera) - My Samsung 32" TV is a smart tv now with the HDMI cable! All I spent on extra was a Rs 1500/-  HDMI cable. (I also get Rs 350/- cheap cables though)

Of course the usual Skype, Gravity, Fring, Angry Birds, HD Games etc.. etc... 

Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@rajbow - I think that depends on what your Xperia is? On my SGS I have bluetooth transfer and panorama out of the box. However yes SYmbian has a lot of nice apps as well. Its all in the user actually. As I have said, you can do almost of all of the stuff you do on a Droid on a Symbian as well. There are just a few particulars which may be missng, like evernote for example.
Counsellor
m2_225288

"Made by Google for Linux users. Now it's a trend. "

That's exactly why Android is getting more popular. Once you've rooted your phone (now you can do it legally with HTC phones) you can customise it like you do your Linux distro on your desktop/laptop.

So it's shame that there is no perfect phone out on the market yet (hardware=Nokia N8 and software=Android=Linux).
rosswante

Lack of apps on symbian is not a petty issue. Apps are what makes a smartphone. S60 even does not has a good pdf reader.
Counsellor
esanker

As much as I love Symbian, it's a pretty dead platform now.  Much like Betamax or HDDVD.  The only thing I can do is to move to either Android, IOS, or Windows.