Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Tesco Mobile and the Nokia Belle update

Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

greycounciller wrote:
As for the overall response to Belle, I've chosen to give it a miss. Unless FP1 really sorts a lot of Belles issues out.

Well that won't apply to the N8!

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Contributor
tonyxm75192

I'm not holding my breath. Tesco mobile are totally clueless when it comes to customer service.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ripitup

[ Edited ]

i must confess i love belle alot more than anna.

Im going to probably buy the 808 pureview but the way tesco have handled the updates is shocking. 

luckily i got belle on my tesco n8.

MODERATORS NOTE: Links/References to illegal software has been removed. Discussion of illegal third party software is not allowed on the forums as it could potentially damage Nokia devices and void any existing warranty. Please do not discuss or distribute illegal software on the official Nokia forums.

Please use plain text.
shawnieboy

hi was reading your post about gettin belle update for n8 tesco,you said could get update threw old anna video player what do you mean by that?

Please use plain text.
shawnieboy

hi how did you manage to get belle for your tesco n8? i have same phone.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gazza197000

looks like nokia are not going to force tesco to release the  N8 belle update ,

any chance of posting on gsmarena.com on how you did the tesco N8 update.

Please use plain text.
Professor
greycounciller

So, the Belle service pack is out and Tesco Belle isn't. My this is weird. Who'd ever buy from Tesco mobile again?
Jurassic Park, Sam Neill to Dickie Attenborough " Mr. Hammond, the phones are working !"
N8-00 Tesco UK 059C951, Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Advisor
gazza197000

belle has been out for the other networks for a few weeks now , i won't be buying a nokia or from tesco again as both companys don't wan't to help on the belle update. i'm dissapointed with nokia.

i have been a loyal customer for at least 18 years ,

Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

Have to say, I'm rather puzzled with this - what is the huge clamour and need for Belle?

Have you read about all the issues people have had with it, and are you sure you're really going to be happy with it, post "upgrade" - 'cos you won't easily be able to go back to Anna.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sjjg

There may be loads of issues with Belle, but I have so many with Anna I'm hoping things can't be any worse. Being able to open maps or the camera without the phone rebooting would be a good start. I don't honestly know what goes on inside Symbian. It seems like pot luck what happens with updates.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

sjjg wrote:
There may be loads of issues with Belle, but I have so many with Anna I'm hoping things can't be any worse. Being able to open maps or the camera without the phone rebooting would be a good start. I don't honestly know what goes on inside Symbian. It seems like pot luck what happens with updates.

If I were you, I'd just do a clean installation of Anna whilst you can.

Now I know there's a whole deal of negativity bias at play in technical forums - but all the same - have you read the number and breadth of complaints and issues, here, with Belle?

I think it's a fallacy to think everything will be better - especially if you've not done much or any research on the issues.

It's only become recently available for my specific N8 - and I won't be moving from Anna - and Belle being now available is just an irritation, because Nokia suite keeps mithering about it.

All I'd say is be very sure you'd actually benefit from upgading to Belle before doing so - don't become like many, who've naively gone with it, lived to regret it, and wish they could revert to Anna.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sjjg

What are the problems exactly? I know there have been problems with Flash codecs and battery problems related to third-party apps (I think). The features that got removed I never really used. Are there any good posts that have listed all known bugs with it? I have kept an eye out, but so far I have seen any bugs in Belle that would put me off 'upgrading'.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

sjjg wrote:
What are the problems exactly? I know there have been problems with Flash codecs and battery problems related to third-party apps (I think). The features that got removed I never really used. Are there any good posts that have listed all known bugs with it? I have kept an eye out, but so far I have seen any bugs in Belle that would put me off 'upgrading'.

Well there's plenty of threads - go have a look.

The 2 main ones that spring to mind:-

/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Belle-A-big-step-backwards/td-p/1304019

/t5/Software-Updates/List-of-Belle-additions-corrections-needed/td-p/1328167

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
sjjg

Those are helpful, thanks. It's great that some people are making up-to-date lists.

Most of the issues reported aren't problems for me or have always been problems with Symbian phones. I could do a complete reset of my Anna install, but complete resets seem to solve a lot of the problems with Belle also, so would it really be worth it?

If I was happy with Anna, I'd stick with it. Given that I'm not, I might as well switch to something that is going to be equally poor but will be supported by new software releases. I feel like I don't have the right to complain unless I'm running the latest version of the OS.

Also, this thread is much about complaining about Tesco as it is about Nokia. All UK N8s at least have the option of upgrading. Tesco customers still don't.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

sjjg wrote:
Those are helpful, thanks. It's great that some people are making up-to-date lists.

Most of the issues reported aren't problems for me or have always been problems with Symbian phones. I could do a complete reset of my Anna install, but complete resets seem to solve a lot of the problems with Belle also, so would it really be worth it?

If I was happy with Anna, I'd stick with it. Given that I'm not, I might as well switch to something that is going to be equally poor but will be supported by new software releases. I feel like I don't have the right to complain unless I'm running the latest version of the OS.

Also, this thread is much about complaining about Tesco as it is about Nokia. All UK N8s at least have the option of upgrading. Tesco customers still don't.

Well, I suppose it depends on perspective, but I've read a lot more upset and bad feedback for Belle, than I ever did for Anna, so from what I read, I don't perceive Belle to be equally as poor - but more so.

There's been countless threads calling for a supported way to revert to Anna.

As to you complaining to Nokia - I doubt it will produce much change.

I get that Tesco may be the last to still not approve Belle - but all I'd say is I really don't get the furore about installing it - never before have I see the upset, nor the call to be able to revert. And that's where I'm coming from - which is why I suggested the clean install with Anna.

Once you've gone to Belle, you can't go back (least not in any supported fashion).

I get it's newer, looks flashier, may sound appealling - but there's been many who've found issues, regretted it, and wish they could revert. Never before have I seen quite that degree of disattisfactoin  - so all I'm saying is look before your leap, and maybe see if you can get everything sorted (or most / some things sorted) on Anna - then at least you have options should Belle be made available for your handset.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
samantho

Hi

I'm also waiting for the Symbian Belle update from Tesco, does anyone have any idea when it will be available?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
gazza197000

[ Edited ]

as this will be the last update for N8 users.

it would be nice for tesco customers to have the choice of the belle upgrade, what i don't understand is  tesco mobile  are part of o2 , so why release it to o2 customers and not tesco.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Raoul_Duke

Hi Guys,

Have tried contacting Tesco Mobile care department for definite answer on when the Belle update will be released?

You can find the details on the below link:

http://phone-shop.tesco.com/tesco-mobile/about-us/contactus.aspx

Alternatively you could go to one of our Nokia care points and see what they can do for you guys. To find your nearest care point please refer to the following link:

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/

Let me know how you guys get on.

Regards

Raoul_Duke

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

[ Edited ]
How do you know you much prefer Belle? It may look and sound whizbang - but practically EVERY day there's somebody else posting to a thread on here, saying they've "upgraded" to it, and now regret it.

I just don't get all the furore - peoples' N8s probably work better on Anna than they did on PR1.1 or PR1.2 - they've lost no functions (that I can recall) and there may be the odd bug cleared up over that time.

Thing is, you just can't say the same for Anna -> Belle. There's not just the odd bug - there's countless, plus apps that either don't work, or need reinstalling, plus functions degraded, configuration and options removed, and features now missing.

I don't recall that being a factor in previous upgrades.

I just don't get all those going mad with particular suppliers, as if it's the crime of the century that they haven't released Belle - it's not - you're not missing out on anything from your phone with Anna, and you may well be if you go to Belle - so exactly what is the "crime" that any supplier still not having released Belle, is guilty of? Beyond being current, and a few visual trivialities, and unsubstantiated and (from what I've read, unrealised) performance benefits, what is supposed to be the notable cost of not yet being able to run Belle?

That you're not subject to loads of stuff not working, or not working as it should, or no longer there and you'll have to try and find it again? There's issues with the camera performance (quite a big thing for a phone such as the N8), at one point (think it might now be available) the DAB app wouldn't run / install on Belle (so for people like me who've already ponied up their dough to by the official Nokia DAB headset for their N8, imagine how it would have felt, "upgrading" to the new whizbang phone OS, to find something that you use a lot of, really enjoy, and had to buy a specific, Nokia headset to do so, wouldn't work when upgrading to Belle).

I truly think it's the emperor's new clothers with Belle - so many people angry that they can't run it, seem to be oblivious or in denial of all those people who did and have lived to regret it.

I'll just say this, one last time, then feel free to slam Tesco or whichever else provider hasn't yet released Belle - you're not missing out on any significant thing at all by not yet being able to run Belle - in fact, probably the complete opposite.

Community management note: section quoting a removed post edited out.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
better_belle

D:

So have any of you even managed to get the Belle update from Anna?

I have a Nokia 700 handset (Belle as standard) and I'm waiting for the Belle FP1 f/w update which was rolled out on the 11th of April for places around the world. I contacted Tesco Mobile through Live Chat and this is what I got:

Stuart: Hi I'm Stuart. How can I help?
John Smith: Hi
John Smith: I have a Nokia 700 handset 
Stuart: Okay. 
John Smith: I am expecting a firmware update OTA, to the Nokia Belle FP1. 
John Smith: Colleagues have received this update in Europe. When can I expect to receive the update?
Stuart: Let me check this for you. 
John Smith: It was recently released on the 11th of April.
Stuart: Oh I see. 
Stuart: One moment. 
John Smith: Okay. :smileyhappy:
Stuart: I have checked this for you. 
Stuart: Currently, our support team are working with Nokia to get this update very shortly but at the moment we don't have an exact date for it.
Stuart: Once the update is available you'll automatically get a text notification from us.
John Smith: Okay. Tesco mobile are well known to provide updates up to half a year later than other operators. 
John Smith: Can you not give me even an estimate?

Stuart: It would be difficult to give an exact date at this moment but it should be out for Tesco Mobile customers shortly.
John Smith: "shortly" *chortle*. 
John Smith: But thanks for checking with the support team! I'm glad it's being worked on.
Stuart: Our technical team carries out various tests once an update is launched so that we can give the best experience to our customers. 
John Smith: Is this done in conjunction with O2, or is this a separate process?
John Smith: Thank you for the information though.
John Smith: I guess it's the waiting game for me...
Stuart: As we use O2's network, we do partner with them when ever there's an software update launched.
Stuart: Thanks for your patience and kind understanding. 
John Smith: No worries. 
John Smith: Is there anywhere I can be kept up to date with the latest information regarding the update?
John Smith: (besides the notification SMS)?
Stuart: You can simply keep checking our website for most updates. 
John Smith: Okay...
John Smith: Thanks for the help anyway!
John Smith: Have a nice day. :smileyhappy:
Stuart: You're always welcome. 
Stuart: You too.  

So I won't be getting this awesome update for at least another 3 months? :smileysad:
Tesco mobile...never again. I'll use this against them when it comes round to the end of my contract.
 It'll be the first time I haggle with a Retention's Team, but I'll sure unleash my fury on them.  :smileymad:

Please use plain text.