Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Thoughts on Belle

Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Thoughts on Belle

I was wondering earlier today if I wanted to post what I really think, or if I wanted to re-word it so it would be more diplomatic.  Not sure....

I've got two N8 phones, one to use, and one to practice on/with.  I put Belle on the practice phone, and while I had some installation problems, I could have prevented them by waiting a week or two and reading all the feedback posted by others.  Nokia apparently is stil "learning", and as more and more people update, Nokia will realize what potential things people might do that would prevent the phone from updating as intended.  I'll ignore all that for now, as this post is about actually USING Belle, not installing it.

First impressions were excellent.  I like the pull-down screen, as a quick way to get to common functions.  Excellent.  I also love how responsive the phone is - when I went back to my other phone, by comparison it felt very "sluggish".  Wow.  Big difference.  Nokia engineers did very well - thank you!

What's bugging me now though, is while the original N8, and the Anna update N8, seemed to be designed for computer engineers (lots of time required to learn it, and almost limitless possibilities of what one could do), the Belle upgrade seems to be more of an Android "wannabe".  Sad - if I wanted what to me seems like a "toy phone", I could have just gone out and bought one.

I've gotten used to how much information I could squeeze into the home screen, but no longer.  Belle has a "useless" digital clock with dates that I can't read, and which takes up far, far too much space.  If some engineer wanted this new thing, they should have provided it IN ADDITION to the widget from Anna - certainly not INSTEAD OF.  I won't say it's ugly, but it's very much NOT Nokia.  It looks like it came from an Android commercial.

More importantly, there are a lot of useful widgets I've gotten used to using, and many of them have now been lost or crippled.  The "profiles" widget has been destroyed, replaced by something with only a few choices.  The Calendar???????    My old N95 had lots of entries displayed, and I was hoping for something like that - but the new version has only ONE?????  How could anyone in their right mind have gone along with this - unless it's someone trying to deliberately kill people's desire for this kind of phone???

I could go on and on, but there's no need to - several others have already posted lists of the things that are missing or damaged.  I don't know what to say now....    such a fine improvement in the capability of the phone, and the way it behaves, but to be crippled by such a poor choice of widgets?????

I never thought I would have any reason to "root" the phone and make changes.  Nokia seemed to have made the N8 just for me, and I was pleased before and afer Anna.  Now though, I dunno. 

I'd like to think that Nokia isn't as brain damaged as I now suspect, and that this is only the start, and all the missing functions will appear on a future update.  I don't know if thinking this way is realistic, or just wishful thinking. 

My temporary solution is easy - use this phone for playing around, and keep using my other N8 for actually doing things.  I then get to decide what to do about Nokia in general.  If it wasn't for 'maps', I'd probably already be looking for an Android phone.  Speaking of 'maps', the new version on my Belle N8 certainly seems to have been improved. 

For now, I'll give Nokia the benefit of my doubts, and give them some more time.  Maybe they just wanted to get Belle released before we all grow long white beards, and it was realeased early, with lots of updates soon to come? 

Rather than make this into a 'gripe' thread, which is pointless, maybe if anyone has found work-arounds for what we see as limitations, they can please list them here for others to copy.  Maybe we can't make the standard release of Belle as nice as we'd like for it to be, but maybe there are ways that we can still do ourselves to improve on it.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Clock

It's not a "fix", but it's better for me.....    the huge click widget seemed to take up 1/4 of my home screen.  While I like digital clocks more than analog, I found that I could fit the analog clock, the double-sized Wi-Fi widget, and two other shortcuts into the same space. 

I still plan to look around at other software - finding a nice looking clock for the homescreen should't be all that difficult - but at least for now I've got something better.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Profiles

I couldn't find anything that worked as well as the old Nokia utility to select which profile to use, and I especially don't like the one that came with Belle.  The people who make the "Force Control" utility for the N8 modified their software, since Belle makes it so easy already to turn Wi-Fi on and off.  Force Control is available at the Nokia Store, and provides a nice button to indicate which profile you're using, or quickly change it.  It does several other cool things as well, such as quickly turning Power Saving on/off, and quickly (un)locking the screen to a particular orientation. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
teko5

"Maybe they just wanted to get Belle released before we all grow long white beards, and it was realeased early, with lots of updates soon to come?" :smileylol::smileylol:

I wish there will be coming updates to fix all these problems we're facing with belle update, before we make an uprising on Mr.Elop managment:smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Frank_C7_00

I found a bug in Belle. I am using my C7-00 with speakerphone HF-210 in my car. The voice dialing became now unreliable, because the device is no longer triggering the short audio signal, indicating that -speak now-.

I hope, Nokia will correct soon... For the time being, falling back to Anna.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Vitoro

Kudos, Mike_Myers_N8!!

Now imagine how frustrated am I as an E6 owner :smileysad:

With a screen about twice smaller than N8's I cannot place digital clock(I don't like analog either), e-mail, search and/or calendar widgets on a same homescreen. Even any 2 of them won't fit.

On a single E6's homescreen I can place: 1) a digital clock widget + upto 5 shortcuts(or profile widget + 3 shortcuts); 2) an e-mail widget + 2 shortcuts; 3) a calendar widget + 2 shortcuts.

That's embarassing and I really hope Nokia will improve Belle.

Please use plain text.
sumitsharma

as far as i know they have missed how to manually activate/deactivate power saving mode. also to add web browser now sports less browsing space then previous one though with some good update.one more thing that you cannot make out how much data a page is loading/loaded unlike older web browser. The size of clock really matters, its a bit awfull to have that size of screen blocked.

Rest was really worth waiting.

thanks to nokia.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bumblebirra

I'd like to learn how to make apps, I think I could make a fortune creating widgets.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nvel

Kudos from me, too!

I completely agree with what you are saying and am one of those which don't really understand how very good things from Anna were removed in Belle.

I envy you for still having an N8 with Anna. I wish I was more cautious before updating. Now I'm stuck with Belle until I either root my phone (which I don't want) or some miraculous update arrives for Belle.

What I really wonder is why nobody from Nokia is replying to these issues. I have checked the entire forum for their remarks and they were strictly related to a few issues (install problems, availability, battery life).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nvel

As temporary "fixes", I am currently using the FlipClockBlack widget I have found on the DailyMobile forum and the ComingNext  calendar widget which can show more than 1 entry. (mentioning the issue with the 1 entry calendar widget still makes me cringe in a "facepalm" kind of way)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
n8paul

Nice post Mike  very constructive and not just Nokia bashing

I personally think the  simplicity / functionality  on the basic Belle  is "just right"   I personally like fiddling with option and messing around with all kinds of gadgets but many are confused by them. 

A non techy friend of mine bought a Nokia N8  and just couldn't cope with it, he went and bought a iphone 4s 

pressing buttons was his limit  he now tells everyone what a great phone the iphone is (when in reality its a dumb press to run app  phone)

I have spent some time configuring a Android phone for last couple of weeks at first i thought  WOW this is kool the wheather background the transitions and some kools apps...  but its also very confusing it come pre-instaled without about 5 map type apps which i still can't get my head round we had to pay for prium naviagation and it still doesn't do  what nokia does.   Having now got Belle and used Andriod for basic use i prefer Belle.

Like you i think the size and choice of Widgets needs addressing ASAP  I watched loads of Videos of Belle and read a lot of blub and hype  and I was lead to believe it had RESIZABLE widgets  not only does it NOT have resizable there is no choice of size. 

Having 6 desktops means i can have everything i need (even with oversize/undersize widgets) i just need to flip screens more (lukily flipping screens is smooth as you like on Belle)

I can only couch for N8  but I love Belle   massive improvements and where i was 100% my next phone would be Andriod im now doubting that   (you see how customer support works Nokia!!!!)  

Paul

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Nvel, regarding what you wrote:

"As temporary "fixes", I am currently using the FlipClockBlack widget I have found on the DailyMobile forum and the ComingNext  calendar widget which can show more than 1 entry. ...'

......I won't be able to test any of this until Saturday, but one quick question.  Can these applications be installed directly on a N8 with Belle, or does one need to modify anything?

By "rooting" the phone, anything is possilble, but I would prefer not to do that.

By finding a way to sign applications again, ditto, but I've been told it can no longer be done.

If FlipClockBlack and ComingNext can be installed on an un-modified N8/Belle, I'll be doing it as soon as possible - and according to the web pages for each of them, these look like wonderful additions to the N8/Belle.  

.....and thanks, that's the kind if information/feedback I was hoping to find added to this thread!

(I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links in this forum to non-Nokia software, but it took just a few seconds to find it all with Google, once I had the names you posted!)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
drzap00

Belle a **bleep** !!!

It extremely disappointed me. I am using N8-00. After Belle update, it's not playing Flv and Youtube videos. Its OVI Store is not downloading anything, its camera is not improved, its clock is not trasparent - wallpaper dumps beneath it. Belle deleted all default apps and games.

What the **bleep** nokia has done to its users in Belle update?

It's why people like iphone. Nokia must announce next update to fix all above and many unreported problems to keep its user aboard.

Nokia - Hurry up !!!

Dr. ZAP
Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

Hi Guys.

I've been reading some threats in here, started one myself asking for the missing widgets, and concluded (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the most important thing that's missing in Belle are Widgets:

Old style (Anna's) widgets with a better use of space/functionality and new style (pure Belle's) with impressive graphics widgets, which are those circulating all over the web from previous Belle's leaked versions; hope this last will get really resizable at some point in a near future, and at some point I hope they both get united for our benefit and a go forward without loosing the very essence of Symbian that's functionality and possibilities.

There's the lost applications issue that's not widget related but Market's related instead, and other bugs or missing things too.

About the widgets, bugs and missing things I hope as Myke_Myers_N8 does, that this Belle update was released in a hurry and they'll be fixed or completed in a non far away future update or patch.

About the lost applications that's something Nokia Market must improve to get solved.

Best regards to all.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
faizalafrad

i updated my n8 to belly now i can't play .flv files that worked before update

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lamotti

n8paul wrote:

Nice post Mike  very constructive and not just Nokia bashing

I personally think the  simplicity / functionality  on the basic Belle  is "just right"   I personally like fiddling with option and messing around with all kinds of gadgets but many are confused by them. 

A non techy friend of mine bought a Nokia N8  and just couldn't cope with it, he went and bought a iphone 4s 

pressing buttons was his limit  he now tells everyone what a great phone the iphone is (when in reality its a dumb press to run app  phone)

Well, that’s the thing about a smart phone. Things need to be available to you with ease without the need of going through countless amount of screens. I'm a bit of techy, so I'm well aware of how to use slightly complicated software like Symbian (its not really, its just iPhone and Android are so simple) compared to what is in the market now, however as a smartphone, Symbian just didn't to the basics right until it was too late. It took Nokia only until mid last year with Symbian Anna to add a half decent Browser, a QWERTY keyboard in portrait mode, and a few other things, something iOS and Android been had for years. The Nokia N8 was released with basically a very dated OS. I own both the N8 and iPhone and I agree with your friend, the iPhone is great, this coming from a long term Nokia handset fan.

Symbian Belle is a lot more modern, but why did it take Nokia this long to get it at this stage, these bugs would have long been fixed had Nokia prioritised with Symbian, now they are more focused with Windows, so I'm not sure what the future holds with Symbian. It just about caught up with the other two well not quite, but It probably won't evolve anymore.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nvel

@Mike_Myers_N8:
Yes, the apps I mentioned can be installed directly on a N8 with Belle without having to modify anything.
ComingNext is an official app in the Nokia store, while the FlipClockBlack is available on the forum I mentioned.
(didn't want to post links as I don't know either if they are allowed)
They are both far from perfect, but at least they offer something similar to what Anna had and Belle is missing.
Anyway, I'm glad I helped you. Feel free to share any other "replacements" you find, as well.

I still have a curiosity:
Is anybody from Nokia reading this thread (and all the other similar ones)?
It would help a lot to know that at least you are aware of what we are saying.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

It's confusing to try to make sense out of all this....

Maybe all the "software guys" got yanked over to the Windows side of Nokia, leaving nobody left who knew how good the N8 (with Anna) had gotten.  This left the guys developing the operating system stuff doing a great job for their part of things, but not enough people making things work with the new software.

Maybe this is all a "beta test", to help Nokia figure out what Belle still needs, and there are a group of people reviewing all these discussions, making up a list of what needs to be fixed.

Maybe Nokia is so bound and determined to put all their energy into Windows, and they don't want a beautiful N8 still available that shows off all of what Windows can't do, so they're de-braining the N8 to make it less capable. 

Maybe Nokia is so busy with other things, they're not even reading these forums, and have no idea about the issues we've been discussing?

I guess I'm lucky that I have two of these phones.  I love the way Belle's operating system changes made the phone so much more responsive, but I'm reading about things right and left that used to work, and now don't.  It's discouraging.  I was all anxious to get my other phone updated, but now I feel that "crippled" might be the better term. 

Your two "fixes" to the clock and calendar are excellent.  If there are "fixes" for the other problems, maybe that's goiing to be the answer until when/if Nokia comes out with an update to correct these problems.

As to links - if nobody tells us not to do so, maybe it's a good thing to post.  The links would only be needed until Nokia updates their own software.  As long as they're links to legitimate software, I hope this will be OK.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
gdd9000

Re: Thoughts on Belle - it's horrible, that's my thought

I had really come to like Anna on my N8, despite a few shortcomings. I managed to install the pure font without hacking, and it looked fantastic. Most apps worked great. And now, Im hating my N8 on Belle. Here is but a small list of complaints.

1) If you do hack your phone and install Nokia pure font (old non hack method doesnt work) it is poorly done, and many apps it wont fit in the allotted space right. Especially the calendar widget, where it slightly overlaps the time. FAIL.

2) You no longer get the option to use a menu click and “show open applications” – instead, you have to do it with the thumb-breaking long press of the hardware button on the bottom left of the phone. Does nokia not yet understand that people HATE that button and dont want to use it?

3) I cant believe they took away the standard notifications widget. The operator services widget only works for calls. I HATE having the stupid window pop up in the middle of the screen when you have a message, etc, especially with no way to preview. FAIL FAIL FAIL

4) Not only is it slow all around, and dreadfully slow with email, you really cant use all 6 homescreens or it gets even slower. But the worst part is that the touch screen is no longer responsive. I even did a full delete data and restore, reinstall belle, etc, and it still sucks. You press a screen icon, and wait a couple of seconds, wondering if it registered. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Ridiculous.

5) They took away the middle button to switch between home screens. Why? Now I have to swipe constantly. Stoopid.

6) opera mobile doesnt work for **bleep**, and page loads wont scroll properly until fully loaded. Hate that. Big pages means you are stuck waiting. And the lack of touch screen sensitivity and responsiveness makes using the browser super annoying.

7) No delete icon at the bottom middle of mail. Unbelieveable. You have to use menu, delete. Stupid. And when you preview a message from the awful widget, you can only delete and go back to the widget, it wont let you scroll or go to the next message, unless you enter the app. Oy.

8) Loads emails whenever it feels like but certainly not "as soon as possible" - I used to run test with anna - send a message to one of my accounts, and see if it popped up first on phone or computer. Often neck and neck. Now, even with the soon as possible setting, might take an hour before new mail pops up. And when you set up your accounts, the main account you set up gets loaded twice, once with your email address, and another time, via another mail version(exchange?) What is the point ? 

9) home screens are so slow that when you slipe between two pages, both with digital calendar, you can actually see the second page wake up and then change from the old time, say 4:15pm, to 5:23 pm. Silly. It's like it's waking up from a nap.

10) nokia "evolve" theme is horrible. All black and white icons. What is up with that? the color ones are still around, buried in other menus. Like tools, voice commands, has all color icons.

Why? Why? Why are we subjected to this **bleep**? Did we not fork over enough money? **bleep**?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
permo

Re: Thoughts on Belle - it's horrible, that's my thought

That is not my thought;-)

I myself own a N8 and I have loved the phone since purchase two years ago. The Anna update was a big improvement but the greatest thing happened when I update to Belle. The phone is much smoother changing apps and screens and tasks etc.

It is sad reading your comments but "my world isn't your world...".

Go to a caresenter to fix it....................

Please use plain text.