Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Unable to uninstall pre-installed applications...

Sage
bkly11

Unable to uninstall pre-installed applications after updated to Belle in N8

I'm unable to uninstall pre-installed applications after updated to Belle in N8, e.g. CNN, E!, KL traffic, Movie Teasers, Nat Geo, etc.

I noticed that it looks like those app with folder icon in application manager does not support to manual uninstall by user. (folder icon indicates pre-installed app??)

Application manager only prompt message : "Removing cancelled", and unable to uninstall these apps. Anyone facing this & is there any solution for this?

Phone model : N8

Firmware version : 111.030.0609 (Belle)

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the Kudos star at the left. If it provides you the solution, please click on the GREEN Accept as Solution button at below
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: Unable to uninstall pre-installed applications after updated to Belle in N8

[ Edited ]

Same - can't remove Nat Geo on E7. God, there are so many frustrations about this Update, I can't even enjoy the benefits as I should!

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Hi!

I've forwarded this one for investigation right now. We'll create an FAQ as soon as possible.

BR,

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dragonborn

Same problem here, only worse.

My product code is from Hungary so I've got their apps, and it's A LOT of apps so I'm left with little space on my C drive plus the apps are useless to me as I don't understand that language.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bkly11

[ Edited ]

I even have duplicate for same app, i.e. exactly two same app in my N8.

It looks weird when i manage to uninstall the duplicate app by remove one of app that installed before Belle update, but still leaving 2 exactly same app icons in the menu, same for the list when choosing shortcut to customize homescreen.

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the Kudos star at the left. If it provides you the solution, please click on the GREEN Accept as Solution button at below
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nokh

Same problem here, it applies to NatGeo, TopApps and Vatera (kind of Hungarian e-bay app). I have found a workaround for TopApps (upgrading and uninstalling it afterwards), but for the rest I am clueless.

I am very disappointed, it seems like this upgrade come out into the wild without being properly tested

Nokia 2110 (bought the very original "brick" version back in 1995 :smileyhappy:), 6110 (1997), 6210, 6310, 6310i, 6230, 6233, 5800, C7, HF-3, CK-20W, CK-300 (all bought new) - looks like a loyal Nokia customer, doesn't it? :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
nokh

Hey, I have a hint. I have searched for NatGeo, and that application is not listed as compatible for Belle while it is listed for Anna (and earlier S^3). Could that be a cause for the problem??

(same could apply to the "local e-bay" app IMHO, which could have not be found directly in Nokia Store's search engine, however going through the developer's own link, the application is listed by Nokia Store as incompatible for 5800, C7 pre-Anna & Anna and Belle, strange)

PS & UPDATE!!!: installing, i.e. overwriting Vatera and upgrading, i.e. overwriting NatGeo made the removal of these updated versions possible - just as a side-note, everytime I have updated them, the new versions have been installed to the memory card, instead of chosing the other 2 memories, I don't know if this did matter at all, I just thought I mention, just for reference

Nokia 2110 (bought the very original "brick" version back in 1995 :smileyhappy:), 6110 (1997), 6210, 6310, 6310i, 6230, 6233, 5800, C7, HF-3, CK-20W, CK-300 (all bought new) - looks like a loyal Nokia customer, doesn't it? :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Sage
bkly11

It looks like if choose another drive when upgrading app will give result of duplicate app shortcut & even duplicate installation in application manager, it seems a bug.

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Hi all,

unfortunatley for some apps there's no way to remove them. I have just done an FAQ:

Q: After the update to Nokia Belle, I'm unable to uninstall pre-installed applications and I get the error message "Removing cancelled" in the application manager. What should I do?

A: Some preloaded apps, for example CNN video, can’t be removed. But you can remove the corresponding widget from your homescreen via a long press on it and then tapping the red cross that appears in the corner.

BR,

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Contributor
millicurie

Nokia, thanks for giving us **bleep** stuffs that we don't want and can't remove.  Also, thanks for basically telling us "too bad, sucks for you" as a solution.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bkly11

[ Edited ]

Hi skyee,

I need to remove some unwanted pre-installed applications to optimize my N8 to run smooth without lag. My N8 have some lagging when playing video, when access cuztomized folder via shortcut at homescreen (it take times to display those app in folder & this caused me launch wrong app very often), when access app via shortcut at homescreen (sometime need to press it twice to launch app, dont know why).

I can free up total 6.651Mb in my N8, if it is allowed to remove these unnecessary pre-installed app. This can speed up much more faster for N8.

Dont understand why those pre-installed applications cant be remove since they are unnecessary app & not holding the main/ must have feature in N8. I can understand some pre-installed app such as Ovi, Social that act as main/ must have feature in N8 to let user download app / social networking, but why those unnecessary app cant be remove?

Can give us some clues that why these pre-installed app cant be remove?

Can this be fixed in next firmware update? 

Unnecessary app in my N8, total 6.651Mb :

1. CNN                 508kb

2. E!                     846kb

3. KL Traffic          603kb

4. Movie Teasers   534kb

5. Nat Geo            467kb

6. TV3 Catch Up    758kb

7. Virtual Malaysia 2Mb

8. 8TV Catch Up    935 kb

Please use plain text.
Sage
metal_might

3 button salute removed those apps from my E7, but impt apps like quickoffice / adobe etc also gone. so i had to reinstall from nokia suite, and lo&behold, the unremovable junk is back again!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
millicurie

Nokia, great hardware...but you really can't do software right, can you?

I will promise this.........the N8 will be my last Nokia phone.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Ngwangwa

Perform a hard reset by pressing *#7370# then reinstall Nokia belle again and if it does not work, just perform a hard rest by pressing *#7370#.

NOTE: This procedure will erase all the data on your phone's phone memory and even on the mass memory so remember to have a backup of all your files before performing the hard rest.

Hope it will solve your problems.

Ngwangwa - Six Million Ways To Die Choose One
Please use plain text.
Contributor
millicurie

Have you actually done it or are you just giving a standard response?  I am not being antagonistic but I believe even Nokia mod has acknowledged that some apps can't be deleted after Belle update.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bkly11

Ngwangwa wrote:

Perform a hard reset by pressing *#7370# then reinstall Nokia belle again and if it does not work, just perform a hard rest by pressing *#7370#.

NOTE: This procedure will erase all the data on your phone's phone memory and even on the mass memory so remember to have a backup of all your files before performing the hard rest.

Hope it will solve your problems.

Hard reset & reinstall Nokia Belle wont solve this, unless Belle come with update that allow to remove pre-installed app.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Ngwangwa

My Nokia N8-00 was PR1.2 when I bought it and was preloaded with Aljazeera, National Geographic, CNN, Movie Teasers Need For Speed HD, Real Golf 2011 HD and Galaxy On Fire and when i updated to PR1.4 and then to Symbian Anna and then to Nokia Belle the applications were still there but when I performed *#7370# hard reset and after that I reinstalled Nokia Belle and the applications were all gone and then I had to reinstall National Geographic and CNN application by downloading the applications from other websites. I am giving this solution from personal experience.

NOTE: All the preloaded applications are mostly installed on the mass memory.

Ngwangwa - Six Million Ways To Die Choose One
Please use plain text.
Advisor

my N8 059D145 have the same problem too. Many preinstalled apps are missing after the belle update and can't remove it. Also it still using my E drive memory. On the other hand, most of missing preinstalled apps can't be downloaded from the Nokia store. Hope Nokia can provide a solution as soon as possible. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Probsolver

guys these r the easy ways... Install mguard and go to installed apps in mguard and remove it. Otherwise install App Uninstall v1.40 S^3 Anna Belle Unsigned.sis and remove the unwanted apps
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mukeshdak

Could not get "mguard" but got "App Unistall" for INR 25 . Unfortunately this prooved a waste for me as this software alsonot able to remove those sticky apps.
MD
Please use plain text.