Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Update available... but no way to install it!

Advisor
fridaychild

Update available... but no way to install it!

I am trying to update a C3-01 to the newest firmware and it's driving me flippin' wild.

My phone currently has v.6.05.

I am running the latest version of Nokia Suite (v3.2.100). It detects that there is a new firmware version for my phone (v7.15) and asks if I want to install it. I choose yes.

Nokia Suite at this point informs me that it's impossible to update the software over Bluetooth and asks me to use an USB cable, which I don't have (why is it not shipped with the phone anyway)?

So I decide to update the firmware using the phone itself. I go to Settings-Phone-Update Phone-Download Phone Software, it connects to Nokia and informs me that there are no available updates. What the hey? Sure there is! What about v7.15 which Nokia Suite was offering? :-/

So I go and get the USB cable. I connect the phone, let Windows (XP SP3) install all the drivers, open Nokia Suite again, and go through the software update wizard.

Nokia Suite asks me if I want to backup the phone. Sure I want. Go ahead.

The backup procedure hangs for a hour somewhere in the middle, so I abort it and try again.

At the third attempt (!) finally the backup succeeds, and Nokia Suite downloads the new software from the Internet. So far so good, more or less.

At this point Nokia Suite informs me that the update is ready to be installed, that the phone may temporarily lose the USB connection and that this is normal. I click OK.

After a few seconds, the phone loses USB connection indeed, but immediately Nokia Suite grinds the whole procedure to a halt, informing me that an error occurred (code 12048). Apparenlty the software update did not even begin, since the phone is still on the old version and (luckily?) it still works.

In short, I try the whole procedure again a dozen times, and it either hangs during the backup, or gives the same 12048 error during the backup, or (if I skip the backup) gives error 12048 upon starting to install the software.

Now, seriously, what the heck is going on here? Is this a sophisticated way to force users to go to a Nokia service point and have them update the software (and pay more $$$)?

I am 100% sure I did everything correctly, so what's the catch? Help me please fellow users, 'cause Nokia will not, as usual, unless I open the wallet once more  :-(

Please use plain text.
Sage
mustan111

disable ICS in services and try again to succeed :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor
fridaychild

Disable what?
ICS like in Internet Connection Sharing?

If that is the case, well it's not enabled, and never was.

Or is it another ICS you're referring to? Can you elaborate? Thanks

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
glynncooper

where do you get the update from because when check for firmware updates for my nokia c3-01 it says ive got the latest version which i do believe is 6.5

Please use plain text.
Advisor
fridaychild

Dude, as I said, I am (not) getting it via Nokia Suite.

If I use the phone to check for updates (OTA), I too get the message that I am on the latest version (which is 6.05 by the way).

AAAnnyway....

I've installed Nokia Suite on a different computer, with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit this time.

And I have been able to backup and update the phone using the USB cable.

There were glitches anyway:

1) the automatic data restore failed, so I had to reboot the phone, reconnect it, relaunch Nokia Suite and manually restore the backup;

2) not all my settings were restored: namely, the desktop background, personalized ring tones, home page links and favourites were all reset to default;

3) in the applications menu there were a lot of unreadable files (temporary files which weren't deleted?) which weren't there before and which I had to manually delete

So far so not very good. Time to move to a smartphone perhaps.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
fridaychild

BREAKING NEWS

The update also:

- completely NUKED all my email configuration: all the accounts, and all the messages, are BYE BYE BIRDIE

- crippled the address book features, because it lo longer can strip the dual billing prefix from the number (previously, for example, 4146[number] and [number] were considered the same, now they are considered different numbers)

- improved stability my pair of.... since the phone crashed 12 times when editing the address book in Nokia Suite.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Other phones "just work". This just doesn't. As for firmware updates which promise to "improve speed, stability and update applications" (like this one), I'll stay the hell away from them from now on. Lesson learned. Nokia is history for me.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
glynncooper

all i get with the nokia c3-01 on orange network is **bleep** signal can never get any reception what so ever cant upgrade my phone yet so looks like being stuck with it.....

Please use plain text.
Advisor
fridaychild

Well, for the reasons explained above, it's for the best!

I wish I could downgrade!

Oh, I've also discovered that all my Bluetooth pairings have also been deleted by the upgrade. Way to go!

This is the second time I upgrade, the first time I used OTA, and I didn't lose any data or functionality!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ng85

Hi fridaychild! I also have a C3-01 but faced none of the problems u mentioned during update. But the difference is i used an older version 3.2.95 called as Nokia ovi suite. May b it was the reason for the problems u faced. U mentioned that all the settings like ringtones wall papers not restored. That's because it is changed by themes and the software update changes the theme to Nokia default.
I didn't find any temporary files in the applications folder. Another reason to suspect that the update procedure didn't went well.
Though it isn't mentioned anywhere it does resets the e-mail config even if u back up. However i couldn't understand ur address book problem. Also as i still use ovi suite instead of Nokia suite may b this was the reason 4 ur problems with address book editing. If u can find try installing the older version of Nokia ovi suite & update using that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as solution if it solves your problem.
Current Device - Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ng85

The ovi suite version was 3.2.90 & not 3.2.95
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Advisor
fridaychild

I don't know if the Ovi Suite is still available as a download, since it has been officially replaced by the new version called Nokia Suite.

As for the address book problem, I have a corporate SIM card with the "dual billing" option, which means that if I call a number (or send a message to a number) with a certain leading prefix ("4146" in my case), the call or message will be paid by me personally; otherwise it will be paid by my employer.

With the previous firmware, all my contacts in the address book had the "4146" prefix, yet when I received a call, the caller was correctly identified.

Let's say that I have JohnDoe in my address book, as "4146-xxxxxxxxx".

Obviously when JohnDoe calls me, the phone "sees" just xxxxxxxxx, without the prefix.

The previous firmware was able to correctly identify the caller ID anyway, and I saw "JohnDoe calling" on my display.

Now, I just see xxxxxxxxx, the phone has lost the capabilty to strip the prefix.

Why on Earth did they do this?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ng85

Check ur original Ovi suite installer file where u downloaded it the first time. There u will find the first version u've downloaded. Then install from there & try. But i don't know about any bugs in versions earlier then the one i have as that's the first for me.
Now i understand the address book problem. Its present in some earlier Nokia phones too where it doesn't display the name if the contact no is not saved with country code prefixed to it. I don't know how to solve this except to save ur contacts both ways or there may b a way to prefix like there is for adding extension using 'p'.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
fridaychild

I haven't kept the Ovi installer.

I've googled about the prefix problem, and it seems to be very common indeed with older phones.

The reason why it was working before is probably that the numbers were being read from right to left by the phone, so when the provider prefix was found the rest of the number was ignored.

With this latest firmware, the number is read from left to right or anyway the 4146 prefix is no longer ignored.

Now all you eggheads at the Nokia software development department, tell me please why you did this! Is this a "bug fix" or a "new feature"?

Dammit! It took 2 flippin hours to add a second number w/o 4146 to _each and all_ of my contacts! :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have just before installed it. As you faced, i too have had slowness while backuping. But what i did was different. I have synchronised contacts and whatever i need from my phone with ovi suit., And during the update, i neglect the backuping option to directly go for installation and then the updfate downloaded and installed automatically with no worries. You should make sure the battery level is half atleast to make sure the installation goes fine.

Now its working fine with V7.15. But im not aware about the new features added to it. if you know, can share it pls

Please use plain text.