Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Update failed on my N73

drummer27

Update failed on my N73

A few days ago I attempted an update of my firmware using the NSU and it failed miserably. The download was a success but at about 80% of the installation the NSU prompted me that my phone had to be recovered. I was told to remove all power (including the battery), wait for a while then put it back in. I did this but obviously that severed my connection with the NSU and thus it reported the update had failed.

The current state of my phone: It does not even power on. I'm guessing the main BIOS and power management was where the update failed because there is absolutely no power flowing in my phone even just on charge.

I've contacted Nokia and was pointed towards a service centre which I have yet to visit. However, on the phone to them, I was told it may take up to 8 weeks to repair my phone. Obviously I'm not happy with that as I require my phone for business purposes. Has anyone else encountered this error? Does anyone have any advise for me?

Details of phone:
Model: N73-1
Type: RM-133
Code: 0544056
Firmware: 3.0638.0.0.1
Was attempting to update to: 3.0704.1.0.1

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
God-bless
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi drummer27

I don't know whether you left battery out for at least 5 minutes at the time, which seems to be necessary.

You might like to look at post from nando61 just input "N93 update fix" into "Search Discussions" at top right of screen. Although different phone to yours, it seems to be a question of whether NSU can be "tricked" into reading phone.

Unfortunatly if your N73 is bricked it has to forwarded to level 3 Nokia Service Centre, which has necessary repair equipment.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
drummer27

Thanks for the reply scoobyman.

Just to confirm, I did leave the battery out for well over 5 minutes each time. Thanks for the pointer, I checked it out briefly (as I'm at work) and decided to try get my PC to read my dead phone. Basically I played around with inserting the charger, usb cable and battery into the phone in different orders. Eventually my PC picked up a "BB5 ADL Loader" so I took a chance and tried the NSU. It picked up my phone, did it's reinstalling stuff, my phone entered TEST MODE, the update then failed after a long time, I restarted and amazingly it turned on. Now, inevitably there's something missing but until I find it I'm leaving the NSU alone. However, I did lose my contacts and messages even though I'm sure I backed them up, but after the restore they were gone. Either way I have my phone back. Contacts I can replace and I had way too many messages anyway.

Thanks for your attention and help scoobyman.
God-bless
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi drummer27

Really pleased things worked out for you."He who dares wins"

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
drummer27

Haha thanks :smileyhappy: Very true saying. I'm just glad I didn't fall into the other category :/
Please use plain text.

so um, can you recall which order (with the usb and the power) anyone? that would be really usefull. ran into same problem.. meh.
Please use plain text.
finn2000

lol i dont believe this there must be a prob with the updater i have the same problem with my new phone..
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Guys pls. help me.. i'm having big2x problem with my n73, i had recently upgraded my n73 with the new firmware version using my pc and in the middle of upgrading my phone the electric current turned off then suddenly my phone got stock it causes serious damage to my phone. i'd tried to turn it on but it doesn'nt work and i tried also to recharge my battery but it doesn't work also. how can i fix my phone..i beg u all..thanks a lot
Please use plain text.

I have the same problem with a N73. Took it to my service provider's repair centre and they sent it off to Nokia. I was told to come fetch the phone today, got there and was told the phone has water damage!! The biggest bull, that phone never came close to water, it failed while updating. I am now told Nokia will phone me on Monday to explain, been without phone now for 3 weeks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
krosslinez

Kindly plz send your phone to the nearest Nokia Care Point for repair...I also got that problem before which is just say that "Please remove batery and put it back with charger and try to resume" with nokia phone recovery msg...But I got this problem on Windows Vista...(plz don't update on Vista because it sucks!).I refer to Nokia Care for repair and only take time in 1 week...If any they would repair in 3 days...
Nokia C6-01 firmware v013.016
16GB MicroSD Class 4.
History = Nokia N73 ME, Nokia N-Gage QD, Nokia 3220, Nokia 3315, Nokia 3210.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Please use plain text.
Sage
tobbykhan

nokia n96 update with the windows vista ultimate is a big tragedy...it just makes me cry...hit and trial hit and trial....damn
What's Worth Doing, Is Worth Doing Well!

All "N-series" are incredible!
Please use plain text.

Re: Update failed on my N92

i tried to make my all possible way to made my phone works but it wont.coz when i connect with usb or any cable its wont shows in nokia software n i ask to nokia customers they said they cant help it coz it non US model so plz help to to find the solution of my phone or wheri can send for repair? thx
Please use plain text.

friends we have the same problem... when i update my nokia phone after awhile when the proccess is going on udating is failed my phone currently turn off, i tried removing my battery, sim card, memory card nothing happen, i cant reboot my nokia 6680... somebody help us...
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I've been trying to do the same thing. Actually- it's been less than a month since this dilemma happened to my phone. And it frustrates me. The laptop does detect the phone- but as an unknown device. Isn't there any way? I've suggested to my dad to just bring the phone to the service center of Nokia. But he wants me to try and fix it on my own. But the thing is that I can't. And I'm on the verge of tears because of this.

I updated the phone to a newer version- since the phone was sorta lagging, I thought, why not? I'll just update it and maybe it'll work better. But then in the middle of the update..I really didn't know it at first since the phone was flipped, with the back facing up, and the updater said something like trying to reconnect with the phone. And then when it didn't..It shut down and now the phone won't turn on- no nothing. It's black. :smileysad:(

Please help me!

Please use plain text.
Asthana

Hi Friend

I have also same problem with N73-1, I went to Nokia Care in this reference but they told the mother board is damaged and it cannot be repaired. So now I am searching help from person who have got same problem.

Please use plain text.
Geoffburm

Re: Update failed on my N82

Hi Can someone help, I connected my N82 to OVI program and it started to update the software had a power break as I had the phone connected to charge as well. With the break the phone does not do anything its completely dead.

What can I do to try get it going again?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Re: Update failed on my N82

Pl. refer ..

/t5/Pool-of-Knowledge/Recovering-from-a-failed-firmware-update/td-p/398147

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​--If you find this helpful, pl. hit the White Star in Green Box...

Please use plain text.