Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Update on Nokia Belle Availability for Austral...

marekr

Re: Update on Nokia Belle Availability for Australia

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

I have to say that software on my phone is not the most important thing in the world. But in case of N8 and Belle it has been 2 days of bliss :smileyhappy: No crashes so far (which wasn't the case with Anna), everything works and is a lot more responsive. So it's worth of fighting and waiting for. Hope you get it soon.

Best regards,

Marek

marekr wrote:
Hi,
Belle was there yesterday. Today you find Anna from this link.
I'm stuck with Australian version of N8 while living in Estonia, 80 km from Finland. I bought it in November (knowing that reasonable UI Belle is available soon) last year from a local webstore and found out the truth as I received the thing in post. Kind of ripoff by the store not mentioning it before. It means also that the store is giving me warranty instead of Nokia. I contacted them yesterday about the situation and they dont see any problems, I just have to take the phone to them for updating.
Anyway, I'm following the situation with great interest. Seems to be typical PR situation where Nokia chose to spit their clients in the face and MAYBE to wipe it off later IF clients get angry. Same as with Nokia Maps and Cyprus.

Moderator's note: Post edited because it contained information about software which can be used to modify Nokia device's software. Doing so will void the warranty of the device, and possibly damage it. Therefore it is not allowed to discuss about it on Nokia Discussions forum.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
a340500

Good on you Marek, I will (reluctantly) attempt to install the US dark grey variant with a modded Nokia N8 Pro Edition V3 by Taylor (just google it).. It's seems very fast..  a few issues with scrolling but surely a fix will come through in the next few days.

Please use plain text.
marekr

Ok, I get it. It's not allowed to mention P and NF here :smileyhappy: But what was also deleted from my post was information that the webstore that sold me the phone made also the software update as they have tools for it and give guarantee also.
Best regards,
Marek

marekr wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have to say that software on my phone is not the most important thing in the world. But in case of N8 and Belle it has been 2 days of bliss :smileyhappy: No crashes so far (which wasn't the case with Anna), everything works and is a lot more responsive. So it's worth of fighting and waiting for. Hope you get it soon.

Moderator's note: Post edited because it contained information about software which can be used to modify Nokia device's software. Doing so will void the warranty of the device, and possibly damage it. Therefore it is not allowed to discuss about it on Nokia Discussions forum.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
XxWWWSAMxX

[ Edited ]

Rofl i got hit with an infraction notice for mentioning P and NF as well :smileyvery-happy:
That was during the Anna release... got impatient like u did :L

Moderator's note: Post edited because it contained information about unofficial ways to update the device software. Doing so might void the warranty of the device, and possibly damage it. Therefore it is not allowed to discuss about unofficial update methods on Nokia Discussions forum.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Joshuatron

Well ladies and gents. Our situation (according to the pretty looking availability page with the world map) has officially changed from not getting it to "Awaiting approval." Check it out for yourself if you don't believe me. :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mixtrak

Stoked. Just want to add my voice to those who couldn't believe we weren't getting it, are **bleep** we had to jump up and down to get information, and hope it gets to us ASAP. You know, for the record and stuff. Seriously, was considering non-nokia windows phone. Weiner how many people feel that way but don't bother posting on a forum or giving nokia a second (third? Nth?) chance.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mixtrak

Stoked. Just want to add my voice to those who couldn't believe we weren't getting it, are **bleep** we had to jump up and down to get information, and hope it gets to us ASAP. You know, for the record and stuff. Seriously, was considering non-nokia windows phone. Wonder how many people feel that way but don't bother posting on a forum or giving nokia a second (third? Nth?) chance.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mixtrak

Sorry for double post. Spot the hilarious swype auto complete.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Joshuatron

i **bleep** myself when I saw your fail. Haha.
But I must admit. In all fairness, most people gave Nokia a second chance after the Anna debacle. And now this with Belle. People are just getting sick to death of it. But no matter how many times they screw me around, I'll still be a loyal Nokia customer for 3 main reasons. Android phones are impossible to use if you want simplicity. IOS is my least favourite software AND phone line ever. The iPhone should just stop. And Finally, Nokia's simply, easy and uncomplicated. I can't really ask for more in a phone.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
a340500

Anyone out there know if Vodafone or any other Au operator has recieved Belle for testing ?

I can't find anyhting on the Vodafone Blog post unless Andrewaussie you have a link?

Thanks in advance guys.

Even if its just 50 members on this forum jumping up and down, it has made a difference.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jamo128

[ Edited ]

Well, all it seems to of done is them change the page and "promised us" the update, until I see it I wont believe it, afterall they released the unbranded model right away for Canada but didn't for us.... 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jamo128

[ Edited ]

Nokia Belle updates in planning = Nokia is currently together with the local operators evaluating and planning the Nokia Belle rollout

:squint: updated :squint:

I am still confused as how the Country Variant Australia versions need evaluating from operators....  Canada didnt have that problem.... 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
CameronS

• possibly because the Canadian version is the same as the American version...
  • possibly because the Canadian telcos are refusing to release the update (meaning Nokia Canada can release the generic version to possibly force the hands of the Canadian telcos)...

We have a different situation here in Oz:

• the localised version probably takes some time to customise, build, test
  • the local telcos want to release the update to their customers

Cameron

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jamo128

I really do not think that is the cause, the Canadian wont being the same as the American. 

... Force the hands? No...

Localized version should of been made, I find it funny how an entire market had to basically complain to get a update, why did they think us Australians didn't what it? 

Its all bad marketing for nokia, the more updates about what's going on would really help them in this case. A lot of people are already **bleep** off by it, so more info form nokia would help them a lot. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
andrewaussie

as in my other post
so its been a while since we have herd from the nokia team in australia about the rollout of belle. at the curent time all my sources have gone mums the word.. but the thing that makes me think we wont get bell till after the lumia phones have been launched in australia. my thoughts behind this come from the fact that he who must not be named tells me that the generic version of belle for au doesnt exist, yet the new zeland one is alive and well
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bennybackyard

Hurry up already !!!!!!

please......

Please use plain text.
Contributor
damienhelen

Honestly it's quite a pathetic of Nokia Australia to do this, they Delayed it Definitely so all focus is on the new Nokia Lumia Series. We'll see what MWC brings. Can't even compare the Lumia Series to the Nokia N8, all 8MP? What a let down. No miniHDMI out, no USB on the GO.... Just damn hopeless. It will be 2 weeks Monday

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

XxWWWSAMxX wrote:
why do unbranded firmwares need approval o0?

Even an unbranded phone such as yours and mine, still need to have a firmware that is compliant with local regulations of the country that the phone was design for. And in many countries that falls to the carriers to govern and administer. Also its the carriers that own the networks that the phone will run on, so nokia have to be able to prove that the phone + firmware will not cause an issue with the networks. So again the only way Nokia or any phone company can do that is to give the firmware to the carrier to test.

If however the carrier finds the firmware to be ok, but doesnt want to provide it to the users of the branded handsets, then nokia wont release it, but nokia may make a decision in that case only to allow non branded phones have it. Which sound like what might have happened in canada. However if the carriers dont approve it at all, then it wont be released even to the unbranded phones. which is what was going to happen in australia. However, and i am guessing here, the number of, shall we say, enquiries may have shown we have a deep desire for the update, giving nokia and the carriers something to talk about.

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

The morning of the rollout when most of us had just found out the night before that AU wasnt getting it. I rang Nokia aust. who at that time was not even aware that Belle had rolled out at all for any part of the world. I had to verbally guide a person on the phone thru to the forum and then explain that it wasnt just people talking about the release, that the annoucement had been made by Nokia Employees. The young lady then came back after reading the post and contacting others who advised that we werent getting it.

The one thing we have to remember here is that Nokia australia, is actually run by nokia asia. The people in Australia, are only told what the asian HQ wants them to know. So dont blame them to badly, they are the ones that had to feild calls like the ones from andrew and myself, they took the initiative to log all the "discussions" and forward them on to the appropriate people to help get the update that we are all waiting for. The young lady that I spoke to handled herself in a very professional matter, she listening to what i had to say, checked it for herself and then followed it up. She did a brilliant job in a difficult situation.

Also if the firmware didnt comply for some reason when initially test by the telcos. It's possible that either side may have given up on further discussions or even both sides. And without at least someone saying that it was compliant, Nokia cannot release it. IF however the telco were to say it is fine but we dont want it for our customers, then Nokia may have been able to make a decision to release only to non branded phones.

When anna was released, everyone back then, complained that the release should have been made world wide like Apple do. As was discussed back then when this happens it causes major delays in releasing firmware, (which is what happened with IOS5, it was actually ready months and months before official release), Same here, Nokia had to hold off to get as much of the world ready for release and approved. All firmware no matter who it comes from has to be approved before release, including apple. This can easily be seen in both the telstra updates lists and the vodaphone updates lists. check out for youself how many versions of the same firmware but for different brands and sometimes same brand but different models are in for testing especially WP7 and Andriod.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nick_fieldsy23

well the fact that the telcos were not informed about the update untill days after the realse means that nokia hadn't even told them offically there was an unuodate i also belive that it's stuipd that the telco's new nothing about it cause it was all over the internet so why wern't they asking were the update was when most of the world telco's were already testing it

in other words testing for belle wasn't even happening till now way after the realse
Please use plain text.