Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Update on Nokia Belle Availability for Austral...

Contributor
Xequez

Re: Update on Nokia Belle Availability for Australia

Its been a few weeks since any update from Nokia.

Anything else to share?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

Contacted them today, and they dont have any more info.. No estimates given.. So we are still in the dark..
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bennybackyard

Ge
ttingveryannoyednow!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
PaulDTroy

Not even a New Zealand variant for E7.. Im a bit worried now, E7 will miss out altogether..
Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

I wouldn't count on anything being available this side of the ditch for a while either.

This response from Vodafone New Zealand on their forum in response to a query on the update for the N8.

"Won't be any updates for a long time no need to bump, Once I hear something I will post and I will remember"

Thought I smelt a rat when the Vodafone variant wasn't there at first, then appeared and weren't to "Awaiting Approval
" with all the other local codes.

Then when they said you guy's were going to get it they all went to "Being Planned"

Odd seeing as Anna came out within a couple of days.

Doesn't bode well for us ever seeing the 808 as you have to look hard to see any Nokia's in the shops over here.

The "Dark side" is starting to look good.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Advisor
craig_baldie

Its been about 3 weeks now since Belle was released around the rest of the world?
Maybe we will have to wait 3 months life Anna.

At least some information would be helpful

Please use plain text.
Sage
andrewaussie

APRIL/MAY ppl. NOW you can get real angry. start boming Nokia Australia again. where is f---n BELLE NOKIA
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

Guys, The next time you plan to buy another Nokia phone, - dont buy it in Australia.. Support is abysmal..
No doubt the 808 will be popular if it comes to Australia, however myself and others will be looking at overseas purchases instead..
Please use plain text.
Sage
andrewaussie

dont even bother with the 808 as i have herd 2 netowrks wont be selling it. NOKIA go and bend over cause its ur final blow, and why get a nokia lumia when there now where near difrent to the other windows phone providers. Looks like the n8 is my last ever mobile. till the next mobile revolution.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

[ Edited ]

Wont matter Andrew, will be purchasing overseas anyway.. Nokia Australia tweeted that they should be available in OZ.. Probably get here before Belle?..

Please use plain text.
Sage
andrewaussie

take note of the word should.. they also used that with the belle release. if the 808 does come i will be changing network providers so the phone works on the 3g network properly
Please use plain text.
Paulgo

According to THIS the update is in planning.

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-belle-update/nokia-belle-update-availability  

Nokia are inherintly LIARS so I wouldn't believe any of their **bleep**. They have lied to us throughout the year in relation to everything. NOTHING has proven to be the TRUTH. 808 looks great...awesome. Don't hold your breath. It'll be the SAME old LIES LIES LIES.

Please use plain text.
Sage
andrewaussie

well done paulgo for being captin obvious. try bringing new info to the conversation this goes for everyone wasting my time with **bleep** posts on here.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sdgagotineurope

seriously guys just DIY, Belle is awesome, I have no idea why it can take them so long to release here, I can only assume that it is to try and get as many Lumia sales as possible before people realize that after belle they don't need to get a new phone... you know it can be done, I and many others have, just get an official FW and DIY, I have UK variant working fine, love it.
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

sdgagotineurope wrote:
seriously guys just DIY, Belle is awesome, I have no idea why it can take them so long to release here, I can only assume that it is to try and get as many Lumia sales as possible before people realize that after belle they don't need to get a new phone... you know it can be done, I and many others have, just get an official FW and DIY, I have UK variant working fine, love it.

Whilst Belle maybe awesome, it really is not the right way to go as far as DIY. Understand something here, whilst the version might be the same the firmware definitely is different from one country to the next. The way the networks work is different from one country to another.

And whilst you may fine that everything appears to be working correctly, there will be things that just wont work properly, or cause constant resets, or other issues. Working in an industry where millions of sms's are sent daily, I know just some of the restrictions with networks.

How many people are going to know if an sms was sent to them, when they dont receive it and werent necessarily expecting it. Especially when its say one of the important ones from your financial institution asking you to ring them urgently because they found fraudulent transactions where all your money has been taken. The Answer is no-one would know and its these kinds of things that you wont know are working or not. because you can send and receive normal sms's ok, but when it comes to a computer sending them, many phones from other countries wont or unable to receive them here is australia.

Its these little things that can occur and you dont even know it. No one has any idea as to what take so long, but honestly DIY is not the way.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

jraduga,
Respectfully disagree wilth you there.. Even though Networks function a little different beween Continents, the N8 and E7 are Pentaband phones and were designed for international use.. As far as DIY goes.. Myself and many thousands in OZ have been using them for years without hitch. We dont want to, but have to, because of the lousy update support here in Australia.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
a340500

[ Edited ]

+1 Paul G, I am using a DIY Belle version (111.609) Euro edition with Bank and other AU system driven sms's / alerts coming through without a glitch.

Hate to say it but Nokia Australia have gone down the path of a commercial profits driven Pig approach just like our Big 4 Banks with no regard to loyal users.

Like I have said many times before, no more chances to pigs.. I am moving on to the next best thing from any other company whenever that happens.

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

Honestly, I believe the phones will work anywhere, just not fully and it has nothing to do with the bands the phones use. I know what happens to phones that has overseas firmware on them, in regards to some things like sms, especially when the sms is sent from a computer instead of another phone.

I also know that countries like the US/Canada cannot receive any sms's sent when the sms uses a name to be display instead of the number from which it originated, they dont get it. Sms is only 1 thing that happens. I have been doing this stuff for years.

The end result is the phone is yours, do as you please with it, I can only give the advise based on what i have personally seen and what hundred of techs who all worked on these issues found out.

Being pentaband has nothing to do with it, as thats only the frequency used to transmit/receive the radio signal. The bands that are used have nothing to do with the firmware or how the networks work.

Look at it from a different angle, Why would nokia go and develop country specific firmware if it didnt have to. A sim-free unbranded phone still gets a country specific firmware, designed to run in the country of origin. No way would a penny pinching company assign lots of human resources to designing special firmware for each country if it didnt have to.

Thats not to say that the phone wont work, It will, but not fully is all, when used on the australian networks. Whilst I value what you have mentioned here Paul and others, and i do understand your needs and also the feelings towards the lack of service and support, I feel this too, I just dont believe a DIY method is the best answer.

If only those in Nokia would understand what it is we want and why people feel the need to take up this option, then maybe they would change things. Its unfortunate but this lack of support is not just Australia either.

Having spoken to Nokia again this morning, they did mention that at least the firmware is almost ready and that they 'coordinating' with carriers. I truely dont know how much of that i believe, but thats what i was advised.

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

Nokia This is what we want to know.

1. Is the firmware being written now?
2. is it completed yet?
3. have you sent it to the carriers/operators?
4. have you had any response from the operators, like changes?

These are the kinds of things we want to know. We want to know what stage is it at, Not that "its in planning". that the most generalised piece of info I have ever read. If we know that things are progressing you will find everybody here would be satisfied.

I bet that we dont get a proper response to the above questions. We dont need dates, we can estimate that, we need to know that you are doing something, that its at a particular stage. Is it to much to ask that you keep us informed about how things are going.

Please use plain text.
hasley

Looks like we could be in for a wait. Just got this response from Vodafone:

potato says:

Is Vodafone in communication with Nokia in regards to the Belle update? I just want to know where everything is standing. Have they even opened channels? Has anything been started?

Nokia Belle went global on the 7th of February, the rest of the world already has it. Could you please suggest someone put a little bit more pressure on Nokia to pick up there game?

Looks like you guys have already released the Nokia Lumia, so Belle shouldn’t be too far off right?

Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 11:14 am

• Kieran McIlwain says:

Hi potato, when Nokia initially stated they had no plans to release Belle for Australia we immediately made them aware that our customers were eager to get their hands on the update. We’re still in the early stages of this process and while it’s not appropriate to share the specifics of these discussions, I’m pleased to say that we’re working on it for you.
    Any news on software updates we receive from Nokia will be recorded in the Weekly Wrap, so keep an eye on these posts as it’s where you’ll find the latest information regarding updates to any smartphone (including the Nokia Belle update).

Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 11:24 am
Please use plain text.