Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Update on Nokia Belle Availability for Austral...

Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

Re: Update on Nokia Belle Availability for Australia

Telstra havent yet received Belle from Nokia ?? Your Kidding.. !
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

No they havent, they have requested something different about their variant, so its still in creation at the moment, along with all generic and non-generic E7, X7 etc, as far as we can tell at this stage

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

Mushroom wrote:

For all of you who have been lucky enough to purchase a model which has finally been acknowledged by Nokia I am happy for you.

Please don;t forget that there are still many of us on contracts who have not been pushed to the bottom of the pile. The last people on earth to be considered.

I know that this discussion will go quiet when those of you who get the update can sit back and relax and I don;t believe that you will care about the rest of us very much. I can understand that. I probably would feel the same way.

So, for those of us with a Telstra N8-00, or an X7-00 or 500 I leave you with this parting thought.....

Goodbye

sorry Mushroom, did miss it. but its very funny..

Please use plain text.
Advisor
craig_baldie

J_Lo_ wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Here is the official news on Belle for Australia. 

We will begin a phased roll-out of Nokia Belle in the coming weeks, starting with the Nokia C6/C7/E6/N8 and then the Nokia X7 and E7.   Please be aware that timings will vary depending on your operator. 

Thanks

Jonathan from Nokia Care, Australia

So Jonathon or anyone else at Nokia,
We in Australia have been waiting patiently the past few weeks. its about 9 weeks since the global release - any further progress or should i ask again next month?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
diprotodon

Vodafone and Optus variants are with carriers for testing (and I assume the generic variant is incumbent on these tests.)

Telstra still hasn't been released for testing, which suggests that Telstra is special.  I will NEVER be buying a Telstra phone ever again.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
a340500

@diprotodon,

Never say "Never" ;-) As much as I share your sentiments, telstra's coverage is the best - atleast here in Victoria anyways.. But all else of Telstra sucks!

I may move from Vodafone to Telstra only coz.

1. Work is paying and

2. Better Network coverage.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
diprotodon

I'm in the NT, so Telstra is viewed as the only choice :smileyhappy:

Put it a different way - I won't be buying a pentaband phone on a Telstra Plan again!  Telstra seem to have specific hang-ups with their phones which aren't material, but bloat the phone!

Please use plain text.
Sage
andrewaussie

[ Edited ]

diprotodon the reason for the difrence is that telstra are on a difrent frequency to the standard 3g telstra use 850Mhz (it is not standard on the n8) and it also has the myplace software that needs to be compatible with the other update. theses are only a few of the reasns why telstra need a special firmware. if u bother to read posts this has all been explained several times

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

Andrew, i dont know about the MySpace stuff, but 850mhz is no barrier.
N8 and E7 supports pentaband ie,
GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
Please use plain text.
Sage
andrewaussie

I didn't say myspace I said myplace. its Telstra software/application.. and the standard Australian pentabrand doesn't have 750Mhz as a standard
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
diprotodon

I had Myplace removed by Nokia Care Centre who did a forced PR1.0 Anna upgrade using generic firmware when Telstra refused to approve an upgrade .  Not missing anything from it, but enjoyed simple pleasures such as functioning MMS, Outlook, etc before Telstra customers.

My friend who work for Telstra describes MyPlace as bloatware.  (It bloats the phone with glorified hyperlinks).  It should be an app for which Telstra is totally and solely responsible.

As for the 850Mhz - like all Nokia Pentaband HSDPA Phones, my partner's generic E6 works perfectly well with Telstra, and will get the Belle update long before my bloated N8 on a contract.

One thing that cracks me up about Telstra and the N8.  When my phone is locked (most of the time - smartphones contain data that should be protected) you can't make emergency calls regardless of whether you are on PR1 or PR2.  Yet Telstra claimed the 15 month delay in the release of any updates Emergency Calling issue.  The fact that the phone cannot be used for emergency 112/000 calls when locked to me is a serious problem.

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

diprotodon wrote:

Vodafone and Optus variants are with carriers for testing (and I assume the generic variant is incumbent on these tests.)

Telstra still hasn't been released for testing, which suggests that Telstra is special.  I will NEVER be buying a Telstra phone ever again.

E7 all variants and most X7's all variants and the telstra N8 are still in creation as far as we know at this stage. all other N8 and c6-01, e6 and c7's are all waiting for approval. that was the last that i heard

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Skywalker75

Andrew, what has 750Mhz got to do with Telstra? As far as I know Next G operates on 850Mhz & my generic N8 has never had any problems connecting to it. Anyway I think this is all getting way off-topic.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
a340500

@Skywalker75

I agree.

Nokia - 9 weeks + since global release - Where is Belle for AU ?

Please use plain text.
Sage
andrewaussie

[ Edited ]

Skywalker75 your right it is 850Mhz i got it mixed up with 750Mhz, but yes 850 is what they use for 3.5G you will get there 3g over the 2100 frequencey which they use within metro areas, but when thats turned off u will find it prob wont work as a 3g phone. its all been explained before in other posts. i am working on finding the original source. read up about telstra and vha killing off the 2100Mhz network in 2012

her is a sinipet
The move comes as Telstra (ASX:TLS) and VHA signalled the conclusion of the joint venture agreement for the shared 2100MHz 3G network in 2012. The agreement, created in 2004 before Telstra launched its 850MHz Next G network, will ultimately see customers of the respective carriers roam on separate networks in the spectrum band.

Telstra declined to comment on whether it would be investing in its 3G services in the future, however advised all customers on the 2100MHz spectrum to upgrade to Next G before 2010.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/365084/vha_moves_next_g_territory/

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Skywalker75

Yes a340500, we clocked up two months this week since the global (cough cough, almost global) release of Belle & still nothing for us. This whole saga has been a absolute disgrace.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Mushroom

[ Edited ]

No movement now for a couple of weeks. They kept us quiet for a while though.

Let's not get too excited about some individual models being tested. The truth is that some variants have not even been developed for Australia even now at this late stage.

There may be a few of you who will get a smile on you faces over the next weeks but there will still be many like me who have a phone that iis only 6 months old and not even considered. Not even planned. Not even developed.

I am sick of seeing the Lumia ads on TV every night and wondering if Nokia is gooing to lure more unsuspecting people into their trap.

I have been loyal for many years but I am so absolutley dusgusted over the whole charade that I will never buy Nokia again nor will I recommend Nokia to anyone that I know.

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

@Mushroom,

Do you know which variants have not been developed for australia. Let us know which ones so that we can try to sort it before it gets to far down the track. do you have models and product codes.

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

I guess us up here in newcastle are not important enough for lumia ads. I havent seen one yet...LOL

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Mushroom

@ jraduga

I am basing this from the information on the Nokia Europe update site

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-belle-update/nokia-belle-update-availability

Many product codes are still marked "Software Under Creation" .

It is a long list and I am unable to copy and paste due to the site setup but I am sure that you can see for yourself.

I am not technically minded but I am sure that there would have been technical problems to overcome in all other countries. Why were these not looked at for Australia at the same time? Why wait until AFTER the World Wide release?

I feel as if I have been put in a "Your Call Is Important To Us........" queue and have been waiting for months.

I am not convinced that the software can
Please use plain text.