Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Update on Nokia Belle for Canada

Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Update on Nokia Belle for Canada

Hi all,

I wanted to share the following message that just got posted by my colleagues on Facebook regarding the availability situation for Nokia Belle in Canada.

Here’s an update on the Nokia Belle rollout - thanks for your patience!

Non-carrier variants of Nokia C6, C7, E6, E7 and N8 devices can be upgraded now. The download is available at Nokia Suite: http://bit.ly/zxFzpp.

Nokia C6, C7, E6, E7 and N8 devices purchased through Canadian carrier channels will not be upgraded to Symbian Belle. If you still have questions, you might find our FAQ helpful: nokia.ly/zifGFO.

BR,

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

Thats Great for Canada..
Are you doing same for Australia?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Kiltswinger

Uhhhhhhh,,,,, not so great.

There won't be an update if you're with Rogers, Bell or any of the other carriers.

You'll only get the update if you have an unbranded phone.

Anyone want to join me in saying LAST NOKIA PHONE I'LL EVER BUY

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

Kiltswinger
Already a big number in OZ dumping Nokia.. Incensed , is being kind..
We know where you guys stand and feel for you..
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
a340500

After 15+ years with Nokia.. I'm dumping them too. No Idea what's next.... though. all the other brands suck in other ways too be it Android or iphone..

Please use plain text.
Tobus

Kiltswinger wrote:

There won't be an update if you're with Rogers, Bell or any of the other carriers.

You can't really blame Nokia for that - if your provider won't pass on the update then you should be complaining to them.... Nokia has done all it can (by releasing the unbranded update), it's up to the providers to create their custom versions for their customers.

Please use plain text.
Sage
andrewaussie

Kiltswinger wrote:

yes u can just flash you phone to the generic canadian firware.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

Tobus,"You can't really blame Nokia for that - if your provider won't pass on the update"

I think you will find thats not the case.. Certainly not in Australia.. Most of the carriers are wanting to pass on the Update and have referred our inquiries back to Nokia.. I think you will find the same in Canada.
Its highly unlikely that ALL carriers have decided not to pass on the update.. Its in their interest to pass on the update, if they want to continue to sell Nokia Products.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
krisyyc

Thank you Skyee for this update.

So it seems this is a carrier problem and not Nokia. It doesn't surprise me though as our carriers in Canada are a joke!

I'll be venting my frustation on them from now on.

Thank you again Skyee, I know you must be swamped right now.

Kris

Please use plain text.
Advisor
krisyyc

[ Edited ]

andrewaussie wrote:

yes u can just flash you phone to the generic canadian firware.

Do you know how this is accomplished? 

Thanks

Moderator's note: Post edited because it contained information about software which can be used to modify Nokia device's software. Doing so might void the warranty of the device, and possibly damage it. Therefore it is not allowed to discuss about it on Discussions Forum.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
xsever

[ Edited ]

There are no generic canadian firmware of Belle for the Nokia X7.

Moderator's note: Post edited because it contained information about software which can be used to modify Nokia device's software. Doing so might void the warranty of the device, and possibly damage it. Therefore it is not allowed to discuss about it on Nokia Discussions forum.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
krisyyc

[ Edited ]

xsever wrote:

What about the N8?

Moderator's note: Post edited because it contained information about software which can be used to modify Nokia device's software. Doing so might void the warranty of the device, and possibly damage it. Therefore it is not allowed to discuss about it on Nokia Discussions forum.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
xsever

[ Edited ]

The N8 has only on type: RM-596

Please use plain text.
Sage
andrewaussie

[ Edited ]

you have to take it into the care center and request it. warnig dont do it if ur still under warenty. im talikng about the genuine version when canada release it.. then when the next update rolls through u just get the generic versions

Please use plain text.
i2014iv

[ Edited ]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

xsever wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This means Roger's X7 users are really stuck with Anna. This is really, really frustrating. Who is really to blame here? Nokia or Rogers? 

Please use plain text.
Sage
bumblebirra

Funny how the Aussies still believe what their operators are telling them when they blame Nokia for not releasing Belle to them, even though they know it was their carriers who dragged their heels on all their previous updates.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
xsever

I contacted both Rogers and Nokia yesterday.

The Nokia representative said the update will come soon just wait. So then I told him about the update availability page and that Belle will not be available in Canada and he was very surprised that this web page existed. So basically he had no clue what was going on.

He said they cannot update me to Belle since that would be considered a breach of contract by Rogers.

I then contacted Rogers and they know that they need to approve and release firmwares to us, but they had no word on Belle.

So in short, there are no clues nor information on whether we will get Belle or not.

Us X7 RM-659 users are stuck for now since RM-707 only got the Belle update.
Please use plain text.
KillerK68

Here was my response.....

Thank you for emailing the Nokia Careline.
In response to your concern, we would like to inform you that the Symbian Belle update is yet to be available in Canada. Most software updates are first released in Europe and later released in other countries. Please be reminded that the software update availability is region dependent.
Please note that the specific date for the availability of the said software update for Nokia devices in Canada is still undetermined.
Please be advised that the availability of the Symbian Belle update will be posted on our website (Nokia Canada). Once the software is already available, rest assured that we will update our website.
For your convenience, you may visit the link provided below for future updates regarding Symbian Belle availability in Canada.
http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-belle-update/nokia-belle-update-availability
We are hoping for your understanding and we appreciate your patience and cooperation regarding this matter.
If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. To ensure proper handling of your case, kindly continue using the current subject line.
You may check out all the phones and accessories at www.nokia.ca. For further inquiries, please call us at 1-888-226-6542 and we will definitely be of assistance in finding the product for you.
Thank you for your e-mail.

Altough a nice response, it seems as though depending on who you speak with, the answer changes. Another interesting point is the upgrade instructions are on the Canadian website. I don't believe for one instant that this is carrier driven, as there are multiple competing carriers, none of which have the upgrade. One thing I don't know is does the CRTC have to approve any of these changes, as they are broadcasting devices...or typocal of Canada and OZ are their taxes / fees to be paid?

All things point to the upgrade occuring sometime...however from what I am seeing Anna was late as well in these countries. Guess it is a wait and see, hopefully not too long, it is not good for Nokia to release to the majority and exclude some markets where they have low market share...it all but encourages people to go with something else.

Please use plain text.
KillerK68

Just Checked Nokia Canada and they have rolled back the upgrade instructions to Symbian Anna. Not good!

Please use plain text.
cebep1991

I contacted Nokia Care? two days ago, and I haven't receive anything back from them yet! Sent e-mail to rogers and got absolutely nothing back useful. Response e-mail looked like the replier didn’t even read my e-mail. I don't think they even read my message. I just want to know if we are even to get an update at ALL! I know even for Anna realise we were one of the last countries to get it (including USA and Australia). 

I love Nokia, but CONNECTING PEOPLE no more!  I have lots of friends that went to Samsung or iPhone. I might be next.

Please use plain text.