Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Updates to Symbian 3.2 & 5.0 devices

Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Updates to Symbian 3.2 & 5.0 devices

Hi all,

I just wanted to share with you the announcement on updates that we started to release for older Symbian devices. For the full blog article that we just published, please check http://www.conversations.nokia.com/2011/06/29/updates-to-symbian-3-2-and-5-0/ .

Despite the arrival of the new Symbian platform and new phones such as the Nokia X7 and E6, the older devices that people are carrying in their pockets for years have not been forgotten by any means. The software team at Nokia has been working hard on bringing updates to these phones, too, in order to improve their feature set, as well as to provide the usual fixes and improvements.

These updates will be targeted at selected phones running Symbian 3.2 and Symbian 5.0, but let’s break that down so we know exactly what that means:

Symbian 3.2

• Nokia E72
  • Nokia E52
  • Nokia E5
  • Nokia C5-00
  • Nokia 6700 slide

Symbian 5.0

• Nokia C6-00
  • Nokia C5-03
  • Nokia 5230
  • Nokia 5235
  • Nokia 5250
  • Nokia X6
  • Nokia N97 mini
  • Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
  • Nokia 5530 XpressMusic

One of the key updates is the Nokia browser v7.3, the same that will be available for newer Symbian phone in the coming months with Symbian Anna. It provides faster browsing, supports International Domain Names (IDNs) and also supports non-ASCII letters such as Arabic or Chinese. Ultimately, you’ll get a better browsing experience.

Ovi Maps is another updated feature in these handsets, but there are two different versions to take into consideration. Ovi Maps 3 SR4 will feature on Symbian 3.2 devices, bringing indoor positioning through WiFi, as well as travel and recommendation services such as those through Lonely Planet. For users of Symbian 5.0 devices, you’ll get Ovi Maps 3 SR6, adding public transport lines and check-in services to social networking sites.

And finally, a set of emoticons will be added into all listed devices, giving you a fun way of expressing your feelings when writing text messages or sending MMSs to your friends and family.

The launch of those updates goes like this: Nokia C6-00 and Nokia 5230 download release starts as of today, and the rest of the models will follow in the next few weeks.

And one more thing: it’s worth noting that the updates won’t hit all the phones at the same time but will be rolled out in stages, as normally happens. So make sure you have the software update autocheck switched on in your phone!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Why no N97?
Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

The Nokia 6720 classic, Nokia 5630 XpressMusic, Nokia E55, Nokia 6710 Navigator, and the Nokia N 97 will not receive updated software.

Nokia strives to ensure proper software updates to its products to enhance product quality and performance. However, due to the technical capabilities of certain devices, it may not always be possible to get all their software and features updated. For example, in certain cases phone memory may not be sufficient for the software update features to function at a satisfactory level.

BR,

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
stephen3

Hello Nokia,

Thanks for your information.

Despite enormous pains, I appreciate Nokia continuous efforts to bringing sustainable user experiences over the last 2 years while using 5800 till now. 

Again, I truly wish this new update will not give us adverse impacts over the general performance of the phone itself.

Leave the Nokia marketing experts for aggressive plans to rewarding users.

I am more than pleased to contributing Nokia for a sustainable future over the transition till next year.

I may dedicate 5800 as a helpful tool on navigation if there's ONE irresistable reason to purchase next Nokia smartphone soon

Keep up with your good jobs and make us proud of using Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
taiger

Thank you Skyee for an straight answer, now we at least know that there will not be any update for the N97 but one for the N97 mini

Phone: Nokia Lumia 920
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
freak_l0ve

Finally, N97 Mini will get a new s0ftware update after 0ne years waiting ! Thanks t0 Nokia f0r making a new update 0n 0ld ph0ne like s60v3.2 & s60v5 ! l00ks like Nokia n0t f0rg0tten their 0ld devices since Symbian^3 was released :smileyvery-happy:

* Im c0unting days when N97 Mini new firmware g0nna release s0on *

Nokia made me pr0ud !
Please use plain text.
Contributor
hellaisgreece

You guys...have shown TREMENDOUS faith on this remarkable device, The first S60 touchphone.
The Nokia Tube 5800XM.

Thank you!!!
Please use plain text.
Sage
masameland

Well I hope skyee you at Nokia do something else for your FLAGSHIP phone N97. At this point I am so angry and mad to you! I think what this specially means, Hello Apple 

Me, Mac and my misengineered N97
Please use plain text.
Advisor

OMG, I can't believe my eyes :smileyhappy:
Nice move, Nokia, thanks.
Nokia N8 dark grey, Symbian Belle
Please use plain text.
Advisor
vl_leo

Great news for my "old" 5800 :smileyhappy:

And please hurry up with the WP7 phones :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
reyalzz

New browser; NICE,

new ovi maps (already have the beta,

emoticons; quite useless addition.

But more importantly: are the memory issues fixed in the new fw for N97Mini? Or is this update just some eyecandy and are we still not able to use the phone properly (Memory full, close some applications while there are no running applications)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
holybone202

@ Reyalz; wait is all we've been doing, and thats what we should do, but you have spoken our minds regards the memory fixes, you have spoken our minds..i'm hoping it will be well... Its not that far any more..
Please use plain text.
Contributor
reyalzz

I don't mind the waiting, but I'd love to know more about the changes in the firmware. the eyecandy and new browser are kind of useless if the memory problems remain.

would it be so difficult to publish the full releasenotes so we can see the bugfixes and the issues that should be solved with this fw?

still hoping to find these on the nokia blog/discussions forum soon.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
donofworld

great news to have new symbian3 web browser to my backup phone c5 thanx nokia :smileyhappy:
'In God we trust; all others bring data!"
Please use plain text.
Sage
Avenger_Osiris

I hope this update also resolve 5800 horizontal lines that appear when unlocking the phone and suddenly not detect the memory card issue...
anyway thanks for the update....

Please use plain text.
roumend

E52 is in - E55 is out!!! What is the point???  :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
antoromeo88

Are they kidding. I tried to update 5230 using pcsuite it shows the file size as 150MB.Even 

the default phone memory is around 70 MB. How can we install 150MB.

Does anyone tried updating 5230 model?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@antronome - Updates via Ovi Suite are almost ALWAYS over 100mb. You dont get to see the Z drive which is usually 256mb-512mb because it is user restricted and contains the OS ROMS (any wrong deletion here or if this was affected by corruption your phone dies, hence the securities placed to make it inaccessible).
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
antoromeo88

thanks for the info.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

And I just noticed that I spelled his name wrong. LOL. This comes when I log on coz I cant sleep yet is tired from school. LOL.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.