Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Updates to Symbian 3.2 & 5.0 devices

Counsellor
llaguna

wait...

If the Hardware requirments are Exacly the same... WHy aint they implementing it on N97?

I dun get it... its exacly the same!!

N97 -- N97 mini

Features

OSSymbian OS v9.4, Series 60 rel. 5Symbian OS v9.4, Series 60 rel. 5
CPU434 MHz ARM 11 processor

434 MHz ARM 11 processor

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
viang

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jerspa

The problem is C: drive and ram.

llaguna wrote:

wait...

If the Hardware requirments are Exacly the same... WHy aint they implementing it on N97?

N97 -- N97 mini

Features

434 MHz ARM 11 processor

Yes, those phones have same os, memory , cpu but mini have 512Mb of NAND flash and Classic does have only 256 Mb.

Nokia stated that they cant deliver a update for normal N97 since it takes too much time aand still maybe wont provide good user experience.

But its funny that mod community has solved some of the issues of the N97.

Like the browser cache relocated into E: drive, it saves the space from C: drive.

And yet this same thing persist in N8, valuable cache drive is filled with unnecessary temp files like browsing cache. Same goes for social app, it caches everything into C: drive. LOL

Well some peoples never learn from their mistakes. :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
llaguna

[ Edited ]

jerspa wrote:

The problem is C: drive and ram.

llaguna wrote:

wait...

N97 -- N97 mini

Features

434 MHz ARM 11 processor

Yes, those phones have same os, memory , cpu but mini have 512Mb of NAND flash and Classic does have only 256 Mb.

Nokia stated that they cant deliver a update for normal N97 since it takes too much time aand still maybe wont provide good user experience.

But its funny that mod community has solved some of the issues of the N97.

Like the browser cache relocated into E: drive, it saves the space from C: drive.

And yet this same thing persist in N8, valuable cache drive is filled with unnecessary temp files like browsing cache. Same goes for social app, it caches everything into C: drive. LOL

Well some peoples never learn from their mistakes. :smileyvery-happy:

:smileyvery-happy: indeed, BUT if they remove all useless **bleep** on Original firmware like neppumuk said on

Q"simply remove all unessesary stuff and deliver the missing apps for free over the ovi-store and the space problem is solved.  or take a look on modded firmwares and compare it to oure firmware. "

then the 250mb nandflash would be enuff for any eventually Update, plus ALL the other new **bleep** on the firmware avayable as firmware updates (on E 32gb) on FOTA...

then we could actually enjoy our dear N97... that we payed well for it....

Edit: plus adding on my older post:. 

5800xm

InternalMaximum User Storage: 81 MB, NAND Memory: 256 MB
ExternalUp to 16GB,microSD (TransFlash), 8GB included
CPUARM 11 369 MHz processor
RAM128 MB

So nand flash memory aint a problem on N97....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jerspa

Yes, those modifications and changes sounds as easy solution but theres propably other issues in background too, but other view to this is that if the program paths and installations are changed into mass memory it may compromise platform security  and lead into copyright violations when users share their buyed programs/ apps and  also risk the user experience when users accidentally deletes the programs from mass memory.

Another problem is maybe the API in symbian, that maybe needs just too much work  to make the changes to keep all apps etc working in same way.

This is sad for N97 users and definitely it isnt easy choice for Nokia because it costs in reputation. But the flipside is that if they would provide the update into devices without modifications and lot of work to symbian code and update would deliver even worse experience, that costs even more in reputation.

Hopefully everyone understand my engrish :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.

No update for the N97?

When I bought this phone, it was the top of the line model and I expected at least some support for the issues that kept bugging it (memory).

So, after years of using Nokia phones, my next one will be anything but Nokia....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
thenavigator2

[ Edited ]

skyee wrote:

The Nokia 6720 classic, Nokia 5630 XpressMusic, Nokia E55, Nokia 6710 Navigator, and the Nokia N 97 will not receive updated software.

Nokia strives to ensure proper software updates to its products to enhance product quality and performance. However, due to the technical capabilities of certain devices, it may not always be possible to get all their software and features updated. For example, in certain cases phone memory may not be sufficient for the software update features to function at a satisfactory level.

BR,

yvonne

I can`t understand Mr.skyee,  How could 6700s which contains 128 Ram and 40 MB internal memory get the update while 6710 Navigator which contains the same Ram and 60 MB internal memory and 600MHz processor would (As you claimed) encounter quality problems?

Another thing, How could the chosen phones for the update get the latest Ovi maps while 6710 NAVIGATOR  remains with the old maps Application although it is supposed to have more priority?!

I hope you concern...

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have nokia 5800xm , wish the upcoming update brings full flash support , copy&paste through web pages . More codecs so we can play avi xvid dvix etc videos plus solve the problem when streaming youtube battrey dead in less than 1hour.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

1. Full flash support on s60v5 phones are quite impossible. Flash 10 and higher require hardware acceleration via GPUs, which only Symbian^3 Nokias have.

2. Xvid and DiVX files are available via divx symbian player, however its doesnt work all that well for full length movies due to again lack of a dedicated GPU.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
berkybb

hey skylee you must give new update for original n97.i paid 1000$.are you kidding me? We hawe customer rights.i will never buy a nokia or never go to finland cause of this silly phone.you stole my money cause you didnt give me a phone like iphone with 1000$.
Please use plain text.
xyberxy

I thought nokia will replace the ovi brand by july? why its still Ovi maps?

I wish 5800 XpressMusic will receive the tap to unlock or swipe to unlock function... like C6
Please use plain text.
Advisor
aswani09

I'm hoping for the tap to unlock.

My Phones: Lumia 800 Mango
N97 Mini v30.0.004
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Kudos to skyee for coming clean and telling its most loyal customers that purchased their 'flagship' N97 model at premium prices that despite the fact it has never worked or had the features as marketed that it will not be updated.

Brilliant strategy Nokia!

Such customer relations management is certainly the way to ensure sustained competative advantage and reverse declining fortunes. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Erik_NL

So if I understand it right Nokia's "flagship" device which I bought about 18-20 months ago is outdated already?

Can you please confirm if the N97 does have an "end of life" status?

The phone I had before, the 5800xm, does get the update.

Get the idea that dropping my N97 in the sea is the best option.....

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vangelis290189

hey guys you are talking about N97 which is 2+ years old phone . What would N8 and C7 users say when they have 6months phones and they will be the last to get this update . I have 5530 and C7 and I'm going to get new browser for 5530 before my C7 ! What the hell !

Please use plain text.
Advisor
navrddy

Hi,

I have Nokia 5230.

I tried to update phone SW using OVi suite.

Initial part of update like backup of messages goes on fine.

but while backing up applications. The phone restarts abruptly and updates aborts indicating connection is lost. why is this so?

it has happened to 2 occasions i tried to update the phone sw

any help please

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

@ navrddy - Though you should have searched for threads related to such issues or started a new one (as this becomes Off-topic).. if you read the instructions at the start of Update process, it clearly says that the phone will switch OFF and ON on its own during this..and its quite obvious that you will see 'Connection lost' message when the phone switches OFF.. Do not panic..have patience and wait ... It will again switch ON, the connection will get established and the process will continue..Do not disconnect the phone physically till the process is over. You are lucky to have your phone working till now..as disconnecting it at a crucial point may lead the phone dead...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
navrddy

@farby:thanks for ur inputs.but phone abruptly restarts during making backup of existing data and not during actual sw updating. And never saw like this during my previous updates. And i get message in ovi application that usb connection is disconnected with error. Any ideas of how to back up data in the phone memory card itself.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Try backing up independently of the update, then during the update process skip the backup.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Vangelis290189

in your case I would search it further to see why is this happening . if its happening because of the phone its ok since it will be reflashed . But maybe of a corrupted usb driver from windows and if this fail you while in sw update . . .

fix the problem or update the phone in another pc . thats my opinion

Please use plain text.