Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Updates to Symbian 3.2 & 5.0 devices

Advisor
aurelioBrasil

Re: Updates to Symbian 3.2 & 5.0 devices

The problem is that Nokia makes us wait ... wait ... And after so do not expect Nokia singficativa brings no change and we have to install CFW on our 5800. It has also users of the forum, which make up news that the update is coming without knowing if only the update will even out. Escreverav here that July 29 would, for writing false news?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Whats wrong with waiting? Even SE made the X10 owners wait a year before they got an update (basically they were one year late behind on Android updates). Even the vaunted Galaxy S of Samsung has had to wait 6 months for the 2.3 update. No matter what brand you use, you will always wait for firmware updates (unless you own a Google Nexus S). Its not that easy to make firmware. Even the CFW have their own bugs, and you have to bypass a lot of protection to install it. You are also basically removing all your protection to malware who can steal your data. The single reason why that isnt effective on Symbian phones are the security measures you remove to install CFW.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Ray1

What kind of security measures?
CFW have bugs, so does OFW.

i'm a neutral person who seen alot of cool CFW (and would love to try them once my warranty is over), the OFW doesn seem to be able to compete (no conversation, no homescreen, ram leakage, laggy interface, useful software not build in, etc).

i would love to hear the other side of the story, where OFW is better. please explain clearly what are these "security measures"? less prone to hacking? virus?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
xekrax

I can't understand why nokia promises software update for Nokia 5530 XM, but there is no info about it. How much we must wait?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

To install CFW, you have to hack your phone, removing the security certificate checkers etc, which only allows signed apps to install. Of course you can sign your own apps, but that is in the knowledge that you know what apps you are installing. If you remove these certificate checkers, anyone can send you a message containing a malware, for instance a remote controlling app that will install on to your phone and allow a person to say, use your number for calling, access data on your phone, etc. These are theoretical possibilities, but the fact is there are not checks to prevent installation of unknown software into your phone with or without your knowledge.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Fujikins

Hello, I have a Nokia E5 and I have recently updated my phone and I liked the new faster browser, however I can no longer see the message symbol at the bottom of the screen for when I have a new message whilst im using the new browser, which is rather annoying...
Also, text entry boxes on the browser have went smaller and this is extremely annoying, especially when I am messaging via inbox on Facebook. I no longer have a big rectangle entry box, its a quarter of the size and sometimes it will cut off the ending letters of my words.
I have tried factory resetting the phone and nothing changed.
Any help or advice please?

Thanks. :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Destroyzer

What about 5530/5800 update??

I checked in some blogs, and i get this information:

Update for s60v3/v5 was announced in June 29. But, 1 day ago, some updates already released for E5, E72 and C6 devices.

1 week later, 5250, E52 and N97mini got update, on July 4.

1 day later, is time to serie 52xx got the update, on July 5.

Now, let's count:

July 5 was the last update released, and today is August 1.

Exactly 27 days in wait.

Now let's review:

Before announced, E5, E72 and C6 already get the update! Some specially devices! Wow!

After announced, 5250, E52 and N97mini got update, in wait of minus that 7 days. And 52xx serie don't like to wait, when know about updates, waited only 1 day! Wow²

Now, the ultimate version devices, 5800 and your son, 5530 don't got the update yet. 27 days... today! Can get more days, 28, 29, 30, ..., 1 year...

The last is the better, but it's not really in this case!!!

If Nokia will be release some cools exclusively resources for us, all ok. But if nothing new...

So, what you think? Sorry for my long text and my bad english.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Personally, doesnt matter. If you look at the fact that the 5800 is over two years old, you should be thankful that Nokia is even giving you an update. As I said before, this is the first phone I know off in all these years that has received an update past its second birthday. Its not even supposed to get updates anymore if you look at Nokia's past update policies. Yet Nokia will give it, so even if I have to wait a year to get an update from v52, its ok.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
S3For5800XM

for me it is not ok.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
vinitmutta

Nokia,

r u listening???????????

When u r goin 2 launch d new firmware for nokia X6 16gb model.....eagerly waiting 4 that....

Y dont u come forward & declare d dates....nobody likes to keep checkin 4 updates everytime...if not date then atleast tell us d approximate period...

waiting 4 ur response....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Ray1

[ Edited ]

lol....vinitmutta, nice post. i'm using x6 as well.

agree with you. i checked for updates every morning for the past 3 weeks. and end up with nothing but dissapointment.

so, i stopped waiting.

if you think it this way, this update is just very minor. it just replace your browser.

the extra feature in ovi maps is kindda redundant, i wont use it much, wont want to increase my internet charges

the smiley is nice, but i never use the messaging feature anyway, i use i-sms, an app for threaded view.

as for the browser, i highly doubt it can replace opera mobile.

so....dont expect much. just check this forum once a month to check whether the update arrive, it'll save us much pain & dissapointment.

oh right, for people who say be thankful nokia is giving update for 5800,

despite all the updates, the phone is still medicrore at most. the earliest firmware v20, 

is super super lag, no kinetic scrolling and its just sad. i recently played with my friends 5800 and it was ridiculously slow. it cant even multitask, meaning switching from messaging to notes takes about 5 seconds. and the phone is very unstable. after i helped him update to the latest firmware, it was working normally.

providing a lausy firmware, and providing lots of fixes to it is hardly called an update.

i'm glad that when i bought the x6, it doesn have that much problem.

anyway, some people might ask why is nokia anouncing the firmware and not releasing it?

i think its because its free publicity, lots of people starts to talk about it, its indirectly promoting nokia, bringing its name up in our daily conversation. think about it, if they didnt do this, most of us might be reading about the next super android phone, or something about apple gimmic. it distract us, and reduce our likelihood, or delay us from changing to a non nokia phone.

*all above is just my opinion. just speaking my mind. no offence to anyone :-)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

I think your friend has a problem with the update. I am on a 5800 with v52, I run Nokia Messaging, SPB mobile shell, iSMS, Mazelock out of reboot automatically. I can have all those running while playing music and navigating. I am using an official update as well, not a, and the phone doesnt lag too much (as much as its outdated 434Mhz processor is able to handle anyway). performance enhanced CFW. If your friend's 5800 is from an operator, you'll have to blame them, but as I have a generic uncustomized unit, I only get good stuff from every update. If its not from an operator branded unit, we could do things to optimize it.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Ray1

I'm so sorry, i reread my post again and saw that i miss out an important information, my friends 5800 is v20. the earliest firmware i think. he's not a tech savy guy, i'm surprise how bad the firmware was when 5800 was first launched. after i update his to the latest, it worked fine. able to multitask normally. :-)
Please use plain text.
neev

will x6 can get anna os or the new belle os
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Ray1

No. X6 wil NOT get anna or belle.

x6 has a slow 400+Mhz processor and very low ram 128MB.

also it does not have GPU.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
flyyordie

[ Edited ]

Hello ,chanchan05 you understand then waiting for the update to V 60 V 52 for 5800, will be worth. We know exactly what improvements will have when compared with V 52. Thanks and I await your response.

regards

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

v60 (or whatever version number they will call it) improvements are listed in the first post of this thread. to summarize:

1. Symbian Anna browser 7.3 (its still not the Qt browser Nokia promised, so we can get it too)
2. Inbuilt Ovi Maps 3.06 to firmware, meaning it wont use up 20mb of our C drive space anymore. Incidentally, since we free up more phone memory space, this also speeds up our phones.
3. emoticons in the messaging app

There may be other device specific updates, as this list pertains to ALL coming updates. For example, the C6 and N97 get the music player with lyrics in this update, but the 5800 users have had that since early this year.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
flyyordie

chanchan05 thank you very much.
Know if there is when it's time for my 5800 v60 update?
The more we wait?
thanks

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Wietse1995

Where is the update for the Nokia's 5530XM 5800XM and C5-03?

I'm waiting, but it's August now...

I want to buy a Nokia N8, but Nokia said always there are new updates coming, but never we get it! Nokia N8 customers are waiting more than three months on a fu**ing browser update :smileymad:.

Nokia you suck! A little bit more customer friendly is necessary.

I put my Nokia on marktplaats.nl (to sell) my Nokia N97 Mini and Nokia 5530XM.

If there isn't coming a update for my phones 5530XM en 5800XM, I don't buy again a Nokia.

Nokia promised a lot, we never get it :smileymad:.

Bye Nokia, with your ugly Windows Phone 7 :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rio91

[ Edited ]

hey bro, you are right! I think to sell my 5800, too (My 5800 has screen problem, it gets lines sometimes)! I've used Symbian for 5,6 years, but its falling now... I decided to not buy Nokia! I want Android!!!

Please use plain text.