Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: V4 Firmware for N80 on Orange

Contributor

V4 Firmware for N80 on Orange

STILL waiting for V4 Firmware to be approved by Orange...... I requested Orange Tech Support should contact me to inform me when the firmware might be approved. They have not done this and Orange Customer Services don't even have a record of my request!!!!!! I described the numerous problems I am having with this phone to Orange who ran it through their diagnostic system and they tell me that I need a replacement phone..............I think that this will be the 5th phone!!!! How much does it need to cost Orange and Nokia in both financial costs and customer satisfaction before V4 is approved? Do I care? NO. So I have just accepted Orange's offer of another replacement:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Sage
awesome

Go for N80i or E70 then :smileywink:
Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri AKA Awesome
Arab Portal
Phones: Waiting for E9x with Scheduled SMS on it, and 9300i features..
Please use plain text.
Professor

Yet another reason not to buy operator branded handsets!
First use the search to see if your question has already been answered...
Secondly I will not knowingly assist in breaking the forum rules.
My information is always changing, what I post at the time is usually true.
Please use plain text.
Sage
awesome

SIM free r0cks for us :smileywink:
Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri AKA Awesome
Arab Portal
Phones: Waiting for E9x with Scheduled SMS on it, and 9300i features..
Please use plain text.
Professor

12-Sep-2006
09:39 PM
awesome wrote:
SIM free r0cks for us :smileywink:

True, but GBP £400 (SIM-free) v FREE (branded) is a tough call.

Mmmmmm. Sorry, free wins every time.
Orange Handsets : Nokia 51 > NK702 (6130) > 6210 > 6310i (silver)> 7210i > 6230 > 6230i (silver) > N80 (silver) > N95-1
T-Mobile: N96
Please use plain text.
Professor

12-Sep-2006 10:20 PM getsurfers wrote: True, but GBP £400 (SIM-free) v FREE (branded) is a tough call. Mmmmmm. Sorry, free wins every time.
You get what you pay for. :smileywink:
First use the search to see if your question has already been answered...
Secondly I will not knowingly assist in breaking the forum rules.
My information is always changing, what I post at the time is usually true.
Please use plain text.
Professor

13-Sep-2006
12:33 AM
ray_s wrote:

12-Sep-2006 10:20 PM getsurfers wrote: True, but GBP £400 (SIM-free) v FREE (branded) is a tough call. Mmmmmm. Sorry, free wins every time.
You get what you pay for. :smileywink:

LOL. Well, still on v614 and no probs. Waiting patiently for v4, but in no rush. Just gald I didnt jump in and get 17 or 18 when others did!
Orange Handsets : Nokia 51 > NK702 (6130) > 6210 > 6310i (silver)> 7210i > 6230 > 6230i (silver) > N80 (silver) > N95-1
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well im sick of waiting as i need my new Tom Tom 6 working, so after spending money every month with orange, and money spent on Tom Tom 6, which does work on the N80, altho not very well on v3, i have installed the generic v.4, and am very happy, the settings wizard that is installed, allows you to click "ORANGE UK" and all ya settings are there, why Orange dont "approve" this is beyond me, if you want v$ folks, do the generic, 10 mins later, ya "new" phone will work, bluetooth and all
Please use plain text.
Contributor

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just received this from Nokia: Dear Mr Segal Thank you for contacting the Nokia Customer Care Team. With regard to our conversation on 9th October 2006, I can advise that after contacting our Local Office and investigating with Orange direct, the software version of V4.0623 has now been approved, however, as stated previously, it can still take upto 6 weeks before Club Nokia Service Points will have this available for updates to be applied. Furthermore, as advised previously, Nokia Corporation cannot guarantee that the Third Party GPS module you intend to use after the update will be compatible with the newer software, regardless of the information provided at time of purchase, and would therefore advise you to contact them, after the update, if you have any further issues with compatibility. Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions. Yours sincerely
Please use plain text.
Sage

davesegal

Thanks for sharing that; most helpful.
Please use plain text.

Hi there,

I have a N80 on Vodafone with V3.xxxx software, gan I put the V4 generic over the top without ruining the phone? I always thought that you had to have the variant amended software.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

i've updated my orange n80

but i had previously had it updated before to a non-branded version
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have an Orange N80. I have been to NSC and my phone now says:
V4.0623.0.41
26-07-2006
RM-92
Nokia N80 (02)
Well done to Orange (at last). They are honouring my warranty and insurance. Keep on at them they will help you eventually.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I believe you will find that it says the current version is already installed and asks you if you want to reinstall it.
I don't think that it will replace the Generic Version with the Operator Specific Version but I am open to correction on this.....
Please use plain text.
Professor

09-Oct-2006
08:03 PM
pottsy wrote:
I have an Orange N80. I have been to NSC and my phone now says:
V4.0623.0.41
26-07-2006
RM-92
Nokia N80 (02)
Well done to Orange (at last). They are honouring my warranty and insurance. Keep on at them they will help you eventually.

So you have generic? What network features are missing, as I use and need line 2 which won't work on Orange if generic...
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Yes, line 2 is missing, it doesn't affect me, but I can see it could be a problem if you need it. It's like a different phone now though. Tomtom works without bluetooth dropping out, phone doesn't keep freezing or turning off, browser works, no random scrolling through menus.
Please use plain text.
Sage

12-Sep-2006 10:20 PM getsurfers wrote:

12-Sep-2006 09:39 PM awesome wrote: SIM free r0cks for us :smileywink:
True, but GBP £400 (SIM-free) v FREE (branded) is a tough call. Mmmmmm. Sorry, free wins every time.
Yeah, but it's not free. You're just a sucker for marketing. You're actually paying for a high rate monthly to get it "free". If you happen to be someone who uses the phone that much per month to justify it then sure it's a bargain although would you have used it so much if you just went PAYG? :smileywink: For me I use it for internet and the odd texting and mostly receiving calls, but I cannot justify the high monthly rate. PAYG is fine for me. I don't even spend anywhere near the very basic Orange monthly. The initial outlay of (in my case) £340 is about £30 a month. I could get a £30 a month package but I bet I can't get it free for that, but even if I could I'd be locked in to a 12 or 18 month contract and end up with a branded phone full of bugs and features locked out that the operator doesn't want you to use (SIP etc). Pay the same price for a sim-free phone and less hassle... no brainer!
E72-1 UK CV 052.005
Please use plain text.

Just got this from Orange regarding firmware. Seems to contradict an earlier post....

Thankyou for your mail,

The N80 was unfortunately discontinued to to an inherent issue with the bluetooth hardware, Nokia were unable to provide a sufficient response to our request for a resolution, and therefore we took the decision to withdraw the handset.

Due to the handset being discontinued, we will not be providing any further firmware updates, it is possible to flash the handset with the generic nokia firmware, but this would void any warranty you have on the handset.

Kind Regards

Email Administrator
Orange customer services
Please use plain text.
Sage

I think the replies from Orange change with each person you speak to.

Bluetooth fault!

Oh well, I don't use Bluetooth anyway.

If there's a definite fault then a recall should be issued (both by Nokia and Orange).
E72-1 UK CV 052.005
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]
Finally

Orange firmware is now available on the Nokia updater.

After about 6 or 7 phone call and about 10 complaint faxes the best Orange could say was "it's nothing to do with us". We all know perfectly well that it was Orange dragging their feet. I can now finally order TomTom for my N80.

It's approx 70 megs and took about half an hour. There's an ornage music player/downloader app and an orange TV app along with a search facility.

Most importantly lots of annoying little bugs are fixed and the phone works much better.

Message Edited by markwilson123 on 21-Oct-2006
03:45 PM

Please use plain text.