Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

We need Symbian OS v9.3 with Feature Pack 2 in Nok...

Counsellor

We need Symbian OS v9.3 with Feature Pack 2 in Nokia N82 in new firmware upgrade

We need Symbian OS v9.3 with Feature Pack 2 in Nokia N82 in new firmware upgrade because lower price and specs mobile N79 has this latest OS so why don't we can't get it? HTC Mobile users can upgrade Latest Microsoft Windows Mobile OS in their device so why don't we get latest Symbian OS in our mobile? N82 has sufficient hardware spear that it can handle this latest release. So ask to Nokia all N82 user that give Symbian OS v9.3 with Feature Pack 2 in Nokia N82 in new firmware upgrade soon.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: We need Symbian OS v9.3 with Feature Pack 2 in Nokia N82 in new firmware upgrade

It won't happen.

We get updates of our current O/S version but not new versions.

If you want FP2 then you need to get a phone that had it right from the beginning.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: We need Symbian OS v9.3 with Feature Pack 2 in Nokia N82 in new firmware upgrade

N95 first release was without FP1 but now it loaded with FP1 by firmware upgrade.  Then why Nokia don't give latest OS releases in supported mobile.  HTC mobile users who purchased their mobile with Windows Mobile v6.1 can upgrade Windows Mobile v6.5 and now they can upgrade their same mobile with Windows Mobile 7.  My question is why Nokia doesn't give latest OS releases in supported mobile and only gives bug fixes?
Please use plain text.
Sage
aronpresley

^ Because Nokia Doesn't Care. If they cared they would definately give us a good firmware change in the 5800, Everyone's asking, Kinetic Scroll, More option on the homepage and more important upgrades, has Nokia given us that ?? and I doubt that they will, they took your $$ and are now $$ richer by your money, deal's done, we've lost, Nokia just doesn't care.
Nokia 3230, Nokia 6255i, Nokia 6500s, Nokia N72, Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia 5800 XM, Apple Iphone 3G
Please use plain text.
Professor
kavi6233

Buddy, if they give all what you're saying, who will buy other creepy models that Nokia are producing? About their "FUNNY RESISTIVE 5800 and N97" that have many bugs! 

The N82 has evrything you might need, a dedicated GPU, Lots of RAM and I MEAN A LOT MORE THAN OTHERS, a Xenon Flash, Dual CPU!!

Personally, Nokia is going down now. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
aronpresley

That's for sure, I'm starting to see a pattern here, first the buggiest ever 5800 and now to top it off with the N97 after 12 years of nokia for me it's time to change and many feel that way, they are just not up there, with a phone like N97 and 5800 that could do a lot, they put in a **bleep** processor that after some apps installed, totally lags, and it's not different with N97 as well. Look at Apple, They have that huge processors and they know that their phone is going to last years. Nokia still has that buggy OS, the firmware change doesn't help at all cause they bring in more bugs...and they

NEVER LISTEN TO THEIR CONSUMERS

Nokia 3230, Nokia 6255i, Nokia 6500s, Nokia N72, Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia 5800 XM, Apple Iphone 3G
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

mustafa_hb wrote:
N95 first release was without FP1 but now it loaded with FP1 by firmware upgrade.

That is incorrect, the N95 had FP1 from day one.

So far no nokia phone has ever received a new OS in a firmware upgrade.

This policy may change for future models but it's highly unlikely to change for older models like the N95 and N82.

The simple fact is that if you want a new OS you need to buy a new phone.

If you are unhappy about that complain to nokia using the "contact us" link near the top of the page.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

N95 was launched at 30 months ago and they have Symbian OS v9.1 and N82 has v9.2. Check both models, you can't find and differences in these 2 mobile. Frankly, Nokia's N95 is a successful model so it's still available in market. Nokia has stopped manufacturing many models after it but N95 is still available. N82 is perfect model but Nokia don't want to support this model. I have post this matter because somebody who is well known of LAW for this matter and sue no Nokia that getting software update is our right. Microsoft and many other big software Co. gives support and updates lifetime. You can get service Packs and updates for XP or Vista lifetime. Them why should Nokia don't gives latest updates while our model's hardware support it. Nokia want only money and somebody has to strongly claim and sue no Nokia. This is beneficial for all Nokia handset user. Somebody think about it. Please don't sit on your chair who is in LAW field and know the LAW for this matter and sue on Nokia. Please pass this post to everyone if you think that I am true.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

You are still incorrect.  Both models launched with the same operating system, S60v3FP1 (Symbian 9.2).

The N95 never had the original S60v3 (Symbian 9.1). If you do not accept this truth please post a link to a reputable website that confirms your incorrect information.

The fact still remains that if you want a new OS you need to buy a new phone. 

As for spouting about law you are still incorrect as no law applies that says that nokia has to give you new operating systems.  Your comparison to windows is also flawed as nokia do give you "service packs" in the way of firmware updates for your current OS.  XP users did not get vista for free so why should nokia give their latest OS away for free?

It is irrelevant that the hardware can support S60v3FP2 (Symbian 9.3) because nokia are not going to spend the time and money adapting it for the older models.  It would also take valuable staff away from projects that look to the future, not to the past.

The policy is likely to change for the newer models, but not for the older ones. You need to get over this and move on or be happy that your N82 is still a great phone, regardless of it's OS. No law is going to help you here but if you are unable to accept that feel free and use the law, just don't bang on about it on a forum.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

And also don't come here complaining if it turns out that your assumption about the law was incorrect and that Nokia has no legal obligation to provide you with a new O/S for the N82.

Just preempting the inevitable...

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Sage
aronpresley

@mustafa

Totally Inappropriate comparisons....Nokia and Windows 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have purchased my first N82 in April 08 and I sold it before 2 month ago and buy again new N82. So in that case, my device is new and under warranty.

I have bought Dell laptop in July 08 with Vista OS and now again I am going to buy 1 more Dell laptop. Microsoft has declared its new OS launching date 22 Oct. so they give an offer that new Vista buyers can get free upgrade for Windows 7. ONCE AGAIN I WANT TO TELL YOU THAT THIS IS FREE OFFER. Today I purchased laptop with Windows Vista but when Microsoft launch its new OS then I get it FREE for my new laptop. Now tell me, do you know that this type of offer anytime Nokia has given to their customer? My device is capable to run S60v3 9.3 with FP2 but 2 time in April 08 and May 09 I cheated by Nokia and all the Nokia users in the world cheated by Nokia and people like you are defence Nokia's thiefting policy.

I can compare many software development company here but you know why I am comparing Microsoft and Nokia? Because in the world most of the computer users uses MS Windows OS and mobile users uses Nokia mobile. 1 software giant take care of their valuable customers still after reaching at No. 1 position but What is Nokia doing? Can you tell me?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

There is no point in carrying on with this topic as you are still using window as an incorrect comparison.  Microsoft has it's reasons for allowing a free upgrade to windows 7 and it's only for people buying within a certain time frame, not everyone.  This is irrelevant to what nokia choose to do and it is microsofts choice to do this, not forced by any law.

If you do not like nokia's policy of not giving operating system away for free then I suggest you sell your nokia and buy a windows based device.

Nokia may allow free OS updates on new models sometime in the near future but they will not offer updates to old FP1 phones.  It will cost them too much money to update old models as the hardware isn't standard like it is on a PC.

Your clear lack of understanding and moaning about being cheated are not going to change the facts.

Please use plain text.
Sage
blackpearl

@psycho, how can you confirm that nokia wont release any updates for FP1? Are you a nokia technician? Or do you work with nokia?
You can mark my posts as useful post by giving me kudos..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Who I am is of no concern to you.

I did not say that FP1 will not get any firmware updates, please read posts in context.  Many FP1 devices will still get firmware updates to their current OS.

Now use a bit of common sense and look at nokia's history, you will find that no phone has ever received a new OS in a firmware update. 

Based on that fact it is highly unlikely that any FP1 phone will ever be upgraded to FP2.

It is irrelevant whether you like nokia's policy on this, facts are facts.

Message Edited by psychomania on 08-Jul-2009 04:18 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
island3r

psychomania wrote:

Who I am is of no concern to you.

Your jedi tricks won't work on us!!!!!:robotmad:

Lol j/k man I totally agree with you, and this thread has gone on of long enough...  :smileyhappy:

I mean no offense to the other posters but this isn't geting anywhere.

N78
5800XM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Psycho, I think you are a hired spokes person from Nokia on this forum. You are giving answers like Nokia directly giving these answers. If you are that then don't post anything on my post. You are giving replies like you know internal matters of Nokia. I only believe that every company has to change their policy if their customer wants. We are paying money to Nokia and for that they have to change their policy if many users want something. They get lot of profit then why should you worry about their loss? Why should you tell me that and worry for Nokia that if Nokia give FP2 for FP1 device then they get too loss. Don't worry about Co. loss and if you are a hired person of Nokia then you should be...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

LOL looks like some people still don't understand the facts when they have been made clear several times. :smileyvery-happy:

Enjoy your FP1 phone :smileyvery-happy: 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Psyco,Your are not agree!!

Mustafa said the truth, Nokia must support to Nokia N82 for FP2.  Nokia always thinking the $$$$$ and sell new model and dint want to support N82 for future. And all noew firmware didnot improve the N82 feature just increase the security problem. So I mean Nokia did not support N82.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes guys, support my post as many as people and boun Nokia to give Symbian OS v9.3 with Feature Pack 2 for our N82 device. Nokia thinks only for profit and not for customer demand. Now it's time to boun Nokia.
Please use plain text.