First i should say these are just suggestions, NOT FOR EXPERTS, JUST FOR USERS!!
In my view point almost all the XM nokia devices have MUSIC buttons, Hense with the touch interface, "IF" nokia can give, Small music Buttons on idle screen, ONLY when music play in background, that would be great, (may be as a drop down menu)
In idle screen, when plays music, volume keys doesn't work. "IF" they can be activated for the task it would be great.
When Scrolling music Library, contacts, etc its bit hard to find what am looking for at once, as it scroll controll seems bit too fast, BETTER "IF" scrolling speed control method is used.(As in other branded touch devices)
PRELOADED SKYPE "PLEASE"!!
ANIMATED MENU ICON OPTION- As an option, Animate the menu ICONS AS IN ORGANIZE MODE (it zooms when selected), better if this added as an option, since some users may not like it.
MOST OF ALL, LANDSCAPE HOME SCREEN.
A 'mark several' option please...
The scrolling speed is an excellent point.. I thought it was just me.. everytime I take my finger off the scroll it moves down.. I have to do it like really slowly to get to where I want.. a bit annoying.. so I'll second this !
better camera quality, more shortcuts on desktop (maybe widgets as well if it's possible), stop music if the earphone gets unplugged!!
Option to control the "On unplug" event is better. Often I plug out the headset with the intention of it going to loudspeaker. Choice is better.
But PLEASE, IF NOTHING ELSE: LANDSCAPE IDLE SCREEN!!! There is that horrible extra wait, when the phone is in landscape and switches to/from something that can't do landscape, and we have to put up with it EVERY TIME WE GO TO THE IDLE SCREEN! Whatever about legacy applications, come on, it's the idle screen!
I'll list in points:
-More shortcuts on it like the Samsung Omina HD
-A better internet browser, the one on it sucks!, it always crashes what ever i do!
-A better video player, that does not blink when playing videos
-A solution to the LCD problem, the lines thing, here go to youtube and see
: i have the same thing
THIS PROBLEM HAPPENED ONLY WHEN I UPDATED SO THIS IS BECAUSE OF THESHITTY FIRMWARE UPDATES YOU HAVE, SO I EXPECT A FIRMWARE UPDATE THAT SOLVES THIS PROBLEM AND DOES NOT MAKE IT WORSE!
These are "SOME" of my problems on the nokia 5800, i should have never bought this phone. the iPhone is much better.
13-06-2009 12:14 - edited 13-06-2009 12:17
You say you have a youtube movie of it; can you pass on the link?
[EDIT] Nevermind, I checked youtube and found it. While I don't have the same problem you have, there's another clip up there that reflects the same thing I have.
Sorry Nokia, you were king of the road for a while, but other vendors are stepping up. Do something!
1.landscape homescreen (important)
2.better user interface (important)
3.better camera quality
4.better sound quality and equalizer (important)
Here's my two cents (I'm using firmware v20 - vodafone branded).
* Internet radio - the built in FM radio sucks.
* Landscape-able home screen.
* 360 degree rotation (like iPhone - although copyright/patent restrictions may apply).
* Predictive text on full-screen-keyboard input (maybe "select word" & "next word" keys).
* Minimizable realplayer (currently stops when loses focus).
* Faster, smoother transitions (apparently better in v21).
* Customizable media bar - add 3rd party apps (there's room for a further 2 apps).
* Multi-item clipboard on media bar.
* More icons on home screen shortcut bar (up to 8 icons on two lines horizontally centered & padded).
* Better stability (less lockups).
* Reduced memory card corruptions (the 8gb that came with the phone has corrupted twice due to phone crashes).
* Decent A2DP support (doesn't keep cutting out).
* Ability to use built-in IM on WiFi as an option (there's apparently a workaround available).
* Customizable folder icons (for example Games folder).
* Easier scrolling on lists (use vol up/down to scroll?).
* Diagonals on virtual d-pad (e.g. pressing left and up is impossible in java games).
* JSR-256 (sensor api for java - ok, it's available as a beta plugin).
* Better power management (apparently improved in v21).
* Tabbed web browsing.
* Ogg vorbis support in media player (I'm sure a DRM wrapper is possible).
* Gapless playback in media player.
* Egg timer function in alarms - I don't want to do maths when cooking a pizza.
* HTML support in messaging (I tried Nokia messaging - it's appalling).
* More stable WiFi (occasionally doesn't connect or connection corrupted).
And please, enforce providers (vodafone, o2, etc) to keep firmwares up to date (i'm thinking of changing the product code on mine as i've given up on voda releasing updates).
Apart from all this, it's a fantastic phone - I'd rather this than an iPhone any day.
P.s. Get these sorted and make it more accessible to develop for and you've killed the iPhone (in Europe/Asia anyway).
P.p.s. An "unified" operating system model could be applied - seriously, the N97 is pretty much a 5800xm with slightly better hardware specs and a keyboard - this would reduce bugs and development resources.
this phone already has **bleep** hardware in my opinion, so maybe nokia could improve the software
360 degree rotation
media bar customisation, adding 2 more apps or changing them all
more icons on shortcut bar
lesser crashes, better memory usage
as already said: * Easier scrolling on lists (use vol up/down to scroll?). (very good idea)
play music without gaps
built in pdf reader
n97 like homescreen, with the widget hide ability
an ability to use apps for the nokia n95 sensor on the nokia 5800
mark/unmark button, not edit (like on n97)
more menu effects, selectable which one u want
music stops when pulling headphones
13-06-2009 18:27 - edited 13-06-2009 18:36
I agree with the others but would like to add the following:
Regarding the iphone 3G: I personally find a lot of features that Nokia have put into the 5800 are much better thought through than on the iphone. For example:
I personally think the hardware is good - for the price anyway (I've put it in a rubber casing though as the camera corner fixing problem is a bit annoying).
A PDF reader IS available, but you've got to pay for it (first time i've had to on a Symbian platform).
13-06-2009 23:48 - edited 13-06-2009 23:51
Good list of points. Agree especially with original_red's points.
I've finally got the 20.x version today been stuck on the old 10.x version for ages.
Am well impressed with the improvements on this update but still plenty more to do.
My wish list includes:
15-06-2009 11:17 - edited 15-06-2009 11:20
I would like more 2 things that u haven't mentioned
1. Home screen like in Nokia 5530
2. Meniu acces with a button on home screen
Nokia Photo Browser Integration
Improved UI speed and stability
Improved bluetooth stability
Improved Camera Image Stabilizer
2-click Music Play
and id like to have this before i die preferabbly.
The two most important things for me personally are:
1. Better camera quality [Absolutely necessary]
2. H.264 codec support
Other than these two features I would also love
2. Screen rotation in every direction
3. Standby landscape mode
4. Scrolling speed control
5. Minor bugs (Notification light, coloured bars appearing on qwerty) fixed
6. Better web browser