Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: What 'WE" need from NEXT 5800 FIRMWARE!!

Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Nokia really needs to get its act together for their s60 line of dumb phones. Now most of their dumb phones can do tons of stuff easily as compared to s60. Try copying calendar entries on s60. Try setting a call reminder - a basic phone function - on an s60 phone. Format of contacts info is pathetic - scroll away. Browser has no cache - reload away, using precious bandwidth. No categories in calendar. When basic s60 or s40 is same, then why such huge software glitches in new phones? The less said about memory card corruption in s60 the better. s60 has not evolved at all in the last 7 years, but look at Apple in just 2 years.

As for the software update, can Nokia not figure out when an update requires a hard or soft reset and do it? Or tell you to do it when starting / finishing the update?

If anybody has used Palms, then s60 is absolutely pathetic.

Forget about kinetic scrolling, etc. Let Nokia simply give us a firmware that works in a stable manner, involves less menus / touches, is fast and user friendly and meets the phone's specs on the pack. 

This is certainly the last Nokia I will ever buy. It will either be Android or BB or Apple.

Message Edited by sandeep108 on 12-Aug-2009 06:34 AM

Jup and maybe something done about the stupid startup screen...

Everytime I try to put on the phone I have the same stupid problem that it get's stuck, so I have to remove the battery..put it back in so the phone is turned off (there is no other way) then remove my sd-card and than I'm able to switch on my phone..

Do something about this..And not only in USA, also in Europe..WE ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS!!!! 

Counsellor

@shortex: Try formatting your memory card - you will LOSE ALL data. Do a backup, including memory card, before formatting. As I said in my post, memory card corruption is endemic to s60. Nokia cannot get basic i/o right.

This phone always links to the memory card for everything, that is why when you remove the card and restart your phone, it works. When the memory card again gets corrupted, the phone gets stuck. Ensure your basic stuff - wallpaper, ringtone, contacts, sms, etc. is on your phone memory, this way your phone will get stuck less often.

Advisor

all direction rotation will be good.. btw, im tired with nokia, next one should be Apple or Blackberry for me..
Contributor

in a word

Maemo Fan2008
N800
E51 -> 5800MX
Contributor

I'll try that gain, (looks like this froum does not like opera 10)

In a word maemo 

I've had a N800 for years and maemo is the best mobile OS I've ever used.

Sadly I think Nokia will reserve it for the N900 (out in october). I got 5800 in the hope that the GUI would be as well polished as Maemo, sadly I was mistaken. 

MaemoFan2008

5146 -> 3310 -> dark ages -> N800 -> E51 -> 5800  

Maemo Fan2008
N800
E51 -> 5800MX
Sage
zebarnabe

In my opinion most of critical bugs must go before start adding extra features...

Now ... for the extra features that are kinda nice:

- Better use of home screen... that includes more shortcuts and landscape mode, mini-widget support would be terrific

- Inertial draggable scroll (Kinetic scroll)

- Smarter input for fullscreen QWERTY keyboard

- Take S60 kernel apart and separate non essential stuff from it, this would allow to update some parts of the firmware without have to update everything, this is already being done (Flash Lite, Nokia Messaging, Mail for Exchange), but could be done for Media Player, Ovi Maps, etc.

- Obviously the previous one would allowed user to clean phone from things that are not used.

I would be happy with that... i guess the first one and second one are in some way being done...

Now... extra stuff that would make my day (might not be Nokia dependent):

- Qt for S60

- PyS60 with binds for Qt

- Updated Java ME (this already exists in beta shape) with better performance

- Better integration with WiFi networks

They could also get the moment and while the S60 5th edition is warm and unify the versions into something nicier, that would be easier if the second point of my feature list was well explored... damn a package dependecy system would be nice... oh wait... i think Maemo has that .... what if...

5800xm on a blender ... will happen sooner than expected.... v51 is a failure as an update .... v52 just postponed its fate....
Counsellor
gbtidi

Recently received a shiny new N97 mini, which features Nokia's implementation of kinetic scrolling. It makes S60v5 so much easier to use. Navigating contacts, music, apps, etc is smooth and easy.

BRING IT TO THE 5800! 

3310 ~ 5210 ~ 3510i ~ 6230 ~ 6680 ~ N91 ~ N76 ~ N78 ~ 5800XM ~ N97 Mini & N900
Contributor

According to nokia website current firmware is V31 but in india it is still V30,

Also there is no any reason to update, nothing new or improved.

That is why nokia's market share is decreasing day by day.

They are proudly showing that it is still the choice for college students but the truth is they are continuously loosing us (i am also a college student).

I spent Rs19000+ for nothing.  My next phone will definitely be Android (Sony Ericsson or HTC or Google) not Nokia (at least symbian).

And if you (Nokia) will not change, world will change/Replace you ! ! ! ! !

***********Mind it ************

Contributor

yup~~i have the same idear with u~

Truly,the noka is losing his Customers day by day..

Nokia often donot supply what Customers want to have~

i have change my N73 TO n78...symbian 9.3 to symbian 9.3 FP2...

just FP2...

now i donot want to change my 5800 to another NPhone~

i'm also thinking about the Android  

Counsellor

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I would find the ability to add more than 4 contacts to the homescreen contacts bar a big help! Having just 4 is a pain the the rear end! It shouldn't take too much work to allow more icons to be added!

Counsellor

[ Edited ]

V40 firmware it ok but need little touches ... Such as :

-homescreen landscape 
-improvements for music player.. [is slow when play a song]
-improvements on scrolling kinetic [ lag in contacts-> options ..etc ]  
-kinetic scrolling in menu
-new theme effects  ... or posibility to add effects without "hacking" and other :-j...
-animated wallpaper  [ flash..it a dream :X ] 
-easy mark  files
-more ram for games
-mutli-touch [ in galery when zoom for photo or web browser zoom ... ]

-overclock for games [ if possible ]

Counsellor

very necessarily multi touch for keyboard qwerty !

Registered Member
5800in2010

Request for next 5800 firmware - Keyboard user support

make the right soft button (is that the right word), the thing on the screen, in the bottom right corner in portrait mod or top right in landscape mode, pressable by a keyboard combination that all keyboards can use

eg ALT + SPACEBAR

Also, put out a list of keyboard shortcuts

----

In the music player, give us back the ability to search by typing in names.

I used to be able to type in the first few letters of an artist (if I was in the artist listing) to jump to just the artists using those few letters at the start of the name (or somewhere in the name).

Registered Member
5800in2010

Re: Request for next 5800 firmware - OVI maps

Maybe this is more of an app request.

Make show routes work, even without GPS available. 

Where a route specifies current position to be used, then allow the user to pick if they want to mark on the map where they think they are or if they want to use the last known position.

---

Make routes editable on the phone.  At the moment there isn't even a delete route feature, let alone adding and removing of way points.

---

Make routes exportable, so we can send a route plan to friends or family.  It probably needs approximate GPS references for points as well as street names and approximate distances to drive.

---

Upgrade the map for Vanuatu.  It's a popular tourist destination ... and I might happen to benefit as I'm hoping to go there soon :smileyhappy:

Mobile Visionary

Re: Request for next 5800 firmware - OVI maps

Ovi maps is seperate to the firmware for development .

jje