Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

What is Nokia Analytics Collector?

Professor
bearshare
Accepted Solution

What is Nokia Analytics Collector?

I noticed that Anna update installed on my C6-01 an app called Nokia Analytics Collector. What it that? Can I uninstall it?

Regards.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
pavilion_alex

Re: What is Nokia Analytics Collector?

maybe something about collecting data of Ovi Maps use? Or data about how the handset is used, crashes, freezes etc. Why remove it?
Greece Nokia X6 RM-559 v40.0.002
Please use plain text.
Professor
bearshare

pavilion_alex wrote:
maybe something about collecting data of Ovi Maps use? Or data about how the handset is used, crashes, freezes etc. Why remove it?

Well, I like to know what the apps installed on my phone are doing...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
pavilion_alex

i have set the phone to install only signed applications. Dont install anything you find in the net.
Please use plain text.
Professor
bearshare

As I said before, Nokia Analytics Collector was installed by the Symbian Anna update!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
pavilion_alex

oh yeah sorry, my mistake. :smileyhappy:

since it's installed by Anna, leave it alone.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
timkamat

But as bearshare said dont we need to know the purpose of the apps that are installed by operating system?
In Love With My C6-01:Now running on Nokia Belle!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
grimreaper

I asked Nokia UK the same question on their Twitter account on the 18th and so far i still haven't had a response. I already have a separate analytics programme installed for research so I don't really mind the Nokia one, but it would be nice to to know what it's for and what data it sends
I'd rather die on my feet, Than keep living on my knee's!
Please use plain text.
Professor
bearshare

Well, my concern is that maybe that app's purpose is to send personal information to Nokia, as Maps does. Besides, the name suggests an app that runs invisible on the background, thus draining battery...
Please use plain text.
Ex-Technical Expert (retired)
jakke

Nokia Analytics Collector is a feature in Symbian Anna and later versions, which optimizes in-application data collection. The application integrates the NAC API and allows collection and reporting of information about application usage. NAC stores the information provided by the application (session start, events, session stop), enriches it with some device information such as model, operator, country, unique ID, but does not capture data such as the customer’s location, or phone number or email. NAC sends data in compressed and encrypted form to the Nokia back-end systems where it is consolidated to provide important feedback to application developers on general user behaviour.

Please use plain text.
Professor
bearshare

Thank you very much, jakke!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vvv_aaa

[ Edited ]

I would prefer to delete it. What happens if I do? Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for the information Jakke.

I would also like to know how often it sends the info.  In a situation where data transmission is not free, such "unwanted" data transmissions especially if one is roaming overseas can add to cost.

Also I would like to determine whether I want to send such information myself rather then let an app do it without my knowledge no matter what assurances is given on privacy etc,, So can I turn it off or un-install it?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
avalx

I would also like to know how this utility contacts Nokia and sends info? I hope it's not using data connection over 3G as I don't have any data plans with my provider and I wouldn't like to see a hike on my bill because of this (I travel abroad a lot). I guess if we try and uninstall  this it will offer to install it again with SW updates?

Also as it collects some very specific data about user of particular phone I am wondering if this is with accordance to EU laws and regulations? I don't remember Anna update warning me about any usage collection (not to mention asking for agreement :smileymad:!).

Please use plain text.
Sage

No. You can't uninstall it. But don't worry. It will hide itself out of the way quicky...

What we don't know, can't hurt us, right?

Z

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I will have to disagree here.  It is what we don't know that is most scary.  They may hurt us in places where we don't want them to.Like incurring data costs..

Like they said knowledge is empowering.

Anyone out there knows?

Thanks for all the inputs. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vvv_aaa

That's right. I prefer to choose what I have there myself. There are a few other things wich won't let themselves deleted.

E.g. Bubble Bash 2 Test, which requires me to aprove its usage but does not allow me to say no on start, cannot be uninstalled and is a game – I do not want games on my phone, it's a work tool. Besides, it tries to access private data. Lacking any easy uninstall option is practically an invitation to hack my phone, a pita and a pity.

So: Nokia, please, how do I get rid of this sort of unwanted stuff?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi all, anyone care to comment further on this?

Any Nokia employee reading this care to comment as well?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

You all may want to read up on:

http://www.nokia.com/about-nokia/privacy/services 

- it is updated recently.

It is theoretically possible to use a Nokia smartphone without creating an Ovi / Nokia account, but it is not a smooth user experience according to those who tried it!

One of my reasons to choose a Nokia is that I would rather have my data and phone usage handled by a company in Finland and complying to Finnish / European laws than the USA based alternatives.

Best regards,

Hans

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for your reply.  I read through it but do not understand what this has to do with the Collector.

Are you implying that the collector is part and parcel of this service agreement?

I have a Nokia account for this forum and OVI store but I do not use other services except Maps.  In fact I have been using a Nokia smartphone without an account for sometime before I signed up.  But this Collector software was not on the previous firmware I think.  Also My phone and data service is a post-paid service from my Telco, so how does this interact with Nokia?

I can understand people wanting the convenience but I have a limited data plan and would not want to pay extra especially while roaming.  So I would like to be assured that I can control such things.

Further comments from experienced Gurus would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.