Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Widgets in Belle better ? other things?

Sage
adg82439

Widgets in Belle better ? other things?

Hi,

some of nice widgets are in Belle as one can see on some sites.

What I am riddle is, how one can have more favorite persons
than four with the widget "Contacts,favorites"?

It shows four, but when inserted another widget,
it shows the same four twice and not eight different.

Email Widget looks nice but is a lot space consuming.

When in previous releases was place for five Email account on one Homescreen, whereas now it uses so much space just for two email accounts.

To check five to six accounts it wastes three homescreens out of six,
thats two wasted of the three more homescreens.

If other things are also going to waste space on the small display
the increase from three to six homescreens is no better, but loosing overview.

As it is very nice to hace on/off widgets for WLAN,NFC,VPN
I miss the Bluetooth and the 3G/GSM switch!

Where displays are for WLAN, VPN, 3G/GSM

I miss the display for NFC on a NFC Smartphone.

Another point, shouldn't VoIP Service and VPN not be better
directly included in the OS because of the all purpose use?

It would be better than the Microsoft  Communicator
which is limited to company use and not every company like to use it.

Will be the very neccessary integration of Navigation commands  over Bluetooth finally come with Belle Updates? 
This is a live saving function, because the driver doesnt have to handle between Radio, Phone Call and navigation like today, but simply follow the navigation while watching the traffic.

Please use plain text.
Sage

1) contact widget; AFAIK this works the same as in ANNA. You can add upto 20 contacts. If you tap-hold then at the bottom o/t widget comes a rectangle with 3 bars, click that and you can sellect more contacts from the addressbook. It works very well.

The email widgets are quite big indeed. However they are much clearer, text is better readable and the top clearly shows which account. Perhaps Nokia could make it height-adjustable or create a 2-item and 1-item-widgets to complement this.

I know there's a smaller musicplayer widget in the pipeline.

The widgets for BT and GSM are not really needed, as you can use the sliding top, but I think the BELLE on E6 has them. They're propably planned for a next udate. There's also a bigger agenda item (which compared to the email-widget ridicilously small... email-widget should be the same as agenda-widget IMHO

Navigation commands? Do you mean navigation directions? No no that should't be over BT but (if technically possible) over FM-transmitter. But I'm affraid navigation uses most of the radios in the device for sat-capture (and keeps the phone online). It can even use a BT GPS-antenna.
Please use plain text.
Sage
bassmantrb5ii

Contacts -

There are 2 types of widgets,

1) This is a single contact widget for an individual favourite contact.
This is a square widget, larger than....

2) There is the rectangular contact bar. Basically if you scroll left to right you can access the other contacts, the same as in Anna.

Email -

They are big but they are a massive improvement because you can scroll up and down within the widget. You can view and launch up to 20 (I think) emails.

Connectivity -

You can turn on/off bluetooth, WLAN and data connections from the pull down menu.

There is also the option of widgets controlling these features being present on the homescreen.

There is also a widget for turning off/on the FM transmitter which is very easy to use and a big improvement over the Anna widget.

The widgets on Belle are, in general, a vast improvement over the Widgets in Anna.

Other notable widgets -

1) Music Player - Massive improvement of the Anna Widget in terms of looks. There is a larger widget as well as a compact one which takes up the same amount of space as the Anna widget.

2) Social - The updated Social App v1.5 come with a number of new widgets for belle, the best being an interactive widget the size of the new email widget. This allows you to scroll down and view the last 10-15 posts as well as update your status directly from the widget. I think Twitter posts are also included as well. You can also sync your FB contacts with your phonebook.

3) Bookmark - You can have direct access to your bookmarks from the native browser. These are square widgets which show the home screen of each bookmark.

4) Large Calendar - This is the same size as the new email widget but, again, is interactive and shows a number of events per day. You can also create events directly from the widget and view the next 7 days without opening up the calendar.

5) RSS feeds - These again are the size of the email widget. You can view the last 10 story titles from the widgets and again it is interactive so you can scroll up and down without ever leaving the homescreen.

6) Weather - There is a new weather widget which shows the weather conditions based on locations. Quite handy.

There are lots of other new widgets that come with Belle and can be installed as add ons.

They are generally bigger but not as restrictive as the Anna widgets, the main positive is that they are generally interactive within the home screen. They can be moved about the screen to fit where YOU want them and they can be positioned differently depending on whether you are in landscape or portrait mode.

I have been using Belle for around 2 months now and it is a vast improvement over Anna.

I'm not sure that the navigation commands can be sent via BT (haven't tried), however as a bit of an aside, there is a new app called Nokia Car Mode . This basically creates large buttons to make it easier to access call/music and sat maps whilst driving. There is an option to pair the device via bluetooth on start up which may allow audio navigation via bluetooth.

Check it out,

http://store.ovi.com/content/232236?clickSource=search&pos=3

Hope this is of some help.
Please use plain text.
Stiffy

[ Edited ]

I also think that the email-widget is far too big. You can easily have that information on much smaller space. It's annoying that it has to have almost an entire homescreen to itself - now I can't have on the first homescreen anymore because it takes up a crazy amount of space. 

On the other hand, the calendar widget only shows 1 entry/event! A calendar widget that can only show one upcoming event is pretty useless. You would expect to be able to see at least 3 upcoming appointments/events.

EDIT: There is mentioned a widget called 'large calender' above, but I can't find it - at least not in the Belle-version I downloaded yesterday.

Please use plain text.
Professor
childofthewo_mj

Where is this LARGE CALENDAR WIDGET???? Cannot FIND IT! and this WEATHER WIDGET ????

bassmantrb5ii wrote:
Contacts -

4) Large Calendar - This is the same size as the new email widget but, again, is interactive and shows a number of events per day. You can also create events directly from the widget and view the next 7 days without opening up the calendar.

6) Weather - There is a new weather widget which shows the weather conditions based on locations. Quite handy.

Please use plain text.
Sage
bassmantrb5ii

These were available with the leaked firmware or could be installed separately (leaked E6 widgets)

For whatever reason Nokia decided to release these on the official E6 firmware, not the other S3 phones.

To install these on your phone you would have to hack your phone which cannot be discussed on these forums and may invalidate your warranty.

I would assume that Nokia will release these as separate updates in due course as there appears to be quite a lot of demand judging by these forums.

Hope this helps.
Please use plain text.