Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Will there be another N95-3 update?

Sage

Will there be another N95-3 update?

I was wondering if there will be an update coming for the N95-3 like the one that the N95 8GB one got with auto rotate and fixes etc...
White 808 Pureview NAM
Black N8 NAM
Silver N95-3 NAM
Counsellor

That's the same question I have too. I did not even notice this thread otherwise I would have put my comment inside this one too as to not create a double thread but hey I believe the more there are hopefully the more it forces Nokia to take action! I have had it with Nokia not supporting our device.

Here is the one I created:
/discussions/board/message?board.id=swupdate&thread.id=45203
Counsellor
jcb18

I know how you feel wrender & ludawg94. From what I have read it seems like Nokia feels that the N95-1 has been more widely used/bought that they feel loyalty to those customers; also Nokia feels and has stated that the North American (more specifically United States) market is not that supportive or favorable to Nokia products. So it seems that the ladder is more of their reasoning for not providing any firmware updates to the N95-3. Now I know that they released an update for the N95-4 but that may be since there are not as many N95-3 units as there are N95-4 units out in use. Hopefully they will wisen up and release a fw update soon cause it is frustrating to see that 2 have been released for the N95-1 unit since June 2008 (when the v20 came out for N95-3) and nothing since then for the N95-3.
Counsellor

That is a stupid reason by Nokia. Why release the N95-3 at all then if they feel that the market is not favorable for their products? On top of that they are not really supporting it either. That right there is the reason why people won't buy their products in the U.S. Nokia should provide the service and support regardless if their products sell a lot or not. By doing that will Nokia only then attain peoples trust to where they will look into buying Nokia products. People did pay top dollar for this device, its not like it sells for $200 or less!! After this phone I doubt I will buy Nokia phones with their lack of software support for the U.S. Also I will stop recomending people and my friends about getting an S60 phones from Nokia.  If Nokia want's to increase makret share they better start giving it better support and attention! :smileymad:
Registered Member

Agreed.

I can echo the sentiment that N95-3 users are feeling left out and neglected. Why Nokia doesn't rollout firmware updates universally across all n95 variants is beyond me and makes little sense.

All I can say is that I'm disappointed. Customer satisfaction is what will drive future revenues for the company and if they continue these practices (especially during these economic times), who knows what negative impacts will befall the company. The N95-3 population may be smaller than the others, but we do deserve the same amount of consideration and respect. Afterall, we spent the same amount of money as everybody else. Is our currency valued as less important?

Nokia, it's the little people who got the company started and it's the little people who should not be forgotten. 

Contributor

Hello dear thread and friends. I got email from nokia and they told me there would be new update available for my phone. Ok, I backuped my settings and upgraded with the nokia software. My new version is V31.0.017 and my phone is N95-3. (bought it from Finland.) (how to check if my phone really is N95-3?)

MY ADVICE TO YO IS: Dont upgrade your software. I got only problems by doin it.

1) There still was some annoying bugs wit the 30* version. Mostly with the camera. If I take lots of photos and switch on/off the shuter lid several times in a day, the app will cease to function properly.

2) When I upgraded to the newest version (31.*), the gallery app does not work. It opens, but I cannot browse the pictures or do anything else.

3) With firmware 30*, my battery was able to last much longer than it did before. Almost 48h with my active usage.

4)Now with 31* Firmware it is so busted. This morning I woke up very **bleep** off because the battery was dead and I was supposed to wake up to school. I had to give my report about electronics but I cannot do it anymore because I was late. Luckily my emailprovider receives mails so slowly that I couldn't come here right in the morning. It would have been a horrible hatemail writing here.

5) This all, and your feedback in this thread, makes me think that maybe my firmware upgrade was to a wrong model. Maybe the firmware was meant for N958GB instead? Or N96?

6) While I did my upgrade, the phone reported an error about the process but the software said "I will try to fix this error" (or similar), can't remember that clearly because I slept badly last night anyway. And after a reboot it worked good. And after installing my backups it still worked.

So my question is: which is the newest available wirmware to N95 and will the camera (shutter) problems be fixed? I was perfectly happy with the 30* firmware except that problem. Too bad I upgraded.

And my second question is: Am I able to downgrade to 30* firmware?

I am almost willing to give up with computers because they make me so anger sometimes.
Counsellor

To Iaama1 I don't know but you may have recieved the wrong fw or unsure but N95-3 was meant for US in NA not for Europe.

But as the main questions goes on this thread any one know of any updates if it will be coming at all? Any word? I sure would like to know that the N95-3 will work fine with a 16gb memory card and would like for it to be speedier.

Mobile Sensei
radical24

yes by all signs we should be getting another update, who knows when. we are kind of the

'step child' of updates even for NAM versions. i think our phone gets them least frequently. i am hoping for one, but when and if that is anyone's guess.

You know what I love about you the most, the fact that you are not me ! In love with technology and all that it can offer. Join me in discovery....
Counsellor
jcb18

I agree radical24. Nokia has been treating N95-3 owners like forgotten "step-children" with regards at firmware updates go. The problem the I have had since previous posting is the knowledge that Nokia has rolled out firmware updates for the N96 NAM and I believe for one other NAM phone. Now the N96 did have issues that needed to be dealt with but it was rolled out like a week after the European version was. That is what troubles me; that the N96 NAM firmware update was rolled out pretty quick. Even the N95-8GB NAM has had a firmware update (v30) and they can't seem to get the N95-3 involved at all.

Very frustrating.

Contributor

Goodbye Nokia; R.I.P. My Support Of Your Products 1997-2009
I love my N95-3

When I bought it as far as I knew it was a FLAGSHIP PHONE - I don't care how many they sold it was a FLAGSHIP PHONE and shouldn't be ignored when it comes to updates. In the past it was excusable for them to ignore my phone because it was just one of many and/or they're working out the kinks in that model but N95 is/was the FLAGSHIP model from what I know about business you want your flagship to be the best and brightest you have to offer - maintenance included.

I understand it didn't sell as well in the North American markets Nokia but as the consumer it is irrelevant to me, if you cannot support your phones I am no longer going to buy them.

Nokia should also realize that the pretty much all the people who bought N95-3s bought them for FULL PRICE with no provider subsidy (afaik) so in my humble opinion we should be getting MORE attention not less. If you want your Ambassador program to work WE ARE THE PEOPLE YOU SHOULD BE MAKING HAPPY. After buying our phones at full retail price N95-3 owners are the people who are more likely to show off their phones to their friends and tell them how awesome their Nokia device is...but due to the total lack of support how, in good conscience, can ANY N95-3 owner do that?

I have used Nokias since my first phone in 1997 and s60 Nokias since 2003 but I have finally had it!

I like many others in this thread am going to be jumping off the Nokia ship. I love my phone's hardware but I need a company that supports their products, ALL of their products.

/rant
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

any word on a new update? Anyone from Nokia care to add to this thread or reply? Part of the money we gave to buy this phone did go into paying for the software and support for the software.

I am interested in seeing if this phone would get the FP2 upgrade that the E71 has recieved. I know it is the "E71x" basically the same E71 phone so I don't see why N95-3 or any of the N95's for that matter recieve FP2 updates since they are runnign what is uspposedly the "same" OS s60 v3rd

Message Edited by ludawg94 on 22-Apr-2009 07:16 AM
Message Edited by ludawg94 on 22-Apr-2009 07:17 AM
Advisor

[ Edited ]

I (like many others- maybe not enough for Nokia) bought my N95-3 over a year ago, Non-subsidised at Full price.

For some reason Nokia & AT&T couldn't work something out to provide a break to customers wanting to use the phone in the US so naturally I'm sure it's sales were limited to a smaller number of people willing/able to front the considerable cash to purchase the phone outright .

Also, as a result, AT&T does NOT support this handset!

If you call about anything: networking/ features/ etc. they will be quick to tell you your on your own with support.:robotsad:

I do think the N95-3 was a good phone (improved from the N95) but it could stand some improvements, like firmware that would fix bugs & add missing features.

Now as I am interested in upgrading my phone I am watching carefully how Nokia deals with us "red heads"

I already have a bad taste by being passed over for Firmware update, and if Nokia fails to release one soon why should I "stick my neck out" to not only being passed over by my service provider, but also by Nokia too?:manindifferent:

Are you listening Nokia?

Do you care about selling your N96, N97, E71, N85 in the US?

Let us know by how you treat your N95-3 customers!

Message Edited by joshsstuff on 23-Apr-2009 05:15 PM

NOKIA IS BEING A BUNCH OF JOKERS! WE NEED AN UPGRADE NOW!!!!!
Counsellor

I'm sorry that you are disappointed with software update availability for your 
Nokia N95-3. Unfortunately, there is no documentation that indicates a future
release of software updates for your device. I regret that you will have to
continue monitoring http://www.nokiausa.com/get-support-and-software/software/software-updater
for software update availability.
If you are experiencing problems with the software on your device, I 
recommend sending your device to our repair center so that we can evaluate and
repair the issue. You can obtain the repair options and the repair form by
visiting www.nokiausa.com/A4410046

I know that this is not the answer that you are looking for, but this is the
only information currently available. I sincerely apologize for the
inconvenience and hope that you will reconsider Nokia for future mobile device
purchases.

If you have any additional questions, please contact us. To ensure proper
handling, please continue to use the current subject line.

Thank you for choosing Nokia for your mobile needs.

That's what they replied when asking if there were going to be any future updates or upgrades of the OS to the N95-3. I feel with most of you on here, I paid $500 looking to keep it long term meaning more than 1 year to 2-4 years at least but since it has a **bleep** OS that won be updated and Nokia along with everyone else (developers) have moved on to FP2 phones we get left behind! It was one of the two last phones to run s60 v3rd FP1 they coudl atleast have allowed up date to FP2. If I had known that this was going to happen I would have never ever bought this phone and as to not ge tburned twicemy next phone will not be NOKIA nor an S60 phone!!! I will not go buy another $500 just get updated on an OS that can be fixed on my current handset! :smileymad: :robotmad:

Contributor

[ Edited ]

As I mentioned above.

NOKIA WE ARE THROUGH! (Barring me moving to Europe/Asia/Africa/Oceania which is not likely)

I have, as advised in the email you sent ludawg94, "reconsidered" what brand my next phone will be when I purchase it and I can tell you this for a certainty - MY NEXT PHONE WILL NOT BE A NOKIA!

If you want my advice Nokia, stop wasting money on your "S60 Ambassadors Program" http://www.s60.com/life/mys60/s60ambassadors and realize that the people who are so annoyed at you that they are writing on message boards like this one (on your own website no less!) about the ill treatment they have received as consumers by Nokia and being turned off by this handling are the exact people you should be listening to and reaching out to!

Spend your money wisely not on Ambassador Programs but on PROVIDING NEW FIRMWARE FOR A "FLAGSHIP PHONE".

We who are online typing messages to you and others on message boards are the ones who are most likely to show off their phone to their friends and be your ambassadors without the need for a program or access to accessories or anything of the sort. I know I used to be exactly that until this debacle.

Now I understand by this point it seems a little silly to be demanding an upgraded/new firmware for the N95-3 because the phone is already getting quite old (as "cell phone aging" is quite a bit faster than humans or dogs or even computers) but realize that these posts have been going on for over 6 months.

As well, realize we are not asking you to pay special attention to our phones by giving us an updated firmware - every other N95 variant got numerous upgraded firmwares past v20 stretching to v30+ but we N95-3 owners are stuck with the old and outdated v20 from May of 2008 more than a year ago and from a time when the N95 was still officially the Nokia flagship phone and would continue to be the Nokia flagship phone for more than 6 months afterwards.

I hope the people at Nokia actually read these posts. I really do.

ludawg94 I would really appreciate it if you could let me know via PM to what email address you emailed Nokia your concerns and received your above quoted reply. I hope you emailed them a link or a copy/paste of this thread and others like it elsewhere on the net (like HowardForums) so they understand fully how many of their (formerly) loyal customers they are angering and driving away in an ever competitive mobile communications industry - a competition in which their numbers have begun to slide in, I might add.

Message Edited by ab0rt on 11-Jun-2009 10:39 PM
othermark

I'll just add my voice to this thread.  Yeah, I spent $600 when this phone first came out.  Still a great phone and I use it everyday.   I would like it to be on par with the n95-1 please.  TIA.

That said, I work in software/hardware development, and it blows my mind how this phone gets passed over.  AFAIK it's barely a re-compile with a few tweaks for the radio code on Nokias end and it's good.   The only real cost burden is the support and test.  Even that's going to be a well-known, low risk affair with all the other N95's vetting the firmware in advance.

It just bewilders me.

(!wired) ? (coffee++) : (wired);
Sage

Well.....seems like the N95-4 NAM just got a v.31.02.08 update.

Crossing my fingers that the same will happen for the N95-3.  If I remember correctly, ver.20 was released first on the N95-4 before it was released for the -3. Hopefully this holds true for this release.

Please Nokia, just give us -3 owners a v.31 update to be on par with the EURO version!!!!!

Advisor

othermark wrote:

it blows my mind how this phone gets passed over.  AFAIK it's barely a re-compile with a few tweaks for the radio code on Nokias end and it's good.   The only real cost burden is the support and test.  Even that's going to be a well-known, low risk affair with all the other N95's vetting the firmware in advance.

It just bewilders me.

It would not surprise me if that was all that was involved. And it used to amaze me too untill I saw the pattern with Nokia:

Some things they are world-beaters at, but seeming simple things the blunder (my conclusion is some segments are better mangaged/ staffed)

i.e. they should fire who ever handles this web site, I can't say how many times I have been directed to their cute error pages for routine links . . .

Registered Member

[ Edited ]

I hope that someone from Nokia staff is actually checking our thread because I think this is an important issue to all of us owners of N95-3. We just want to see that you care about your US costumers just as much as European ones.

There are a lot of users on the internet complaining about this issue and I for one searched a lot to find the right place to show my protest against Nokia's negligence and carelessness. I think this is the right place for us to be heard. Hope some more of users will join this thread and show support for this hot issue.

Just give us, N95-3 owners, a update that will be as good as the latest European phone version's. Believe it or not, we actually paid a lot of money to buy your flagship phone back then, and it wasn't that long ago.

Show us some good will!!! Will you?

Message Edited by shmeiss007 on 09-Jul-2009 02:34 PM
Sage

Hello???  Nokia???  Are you listening???