Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: nokia n97 rm505 uk generic firmware update v11

Advisor
mongomania2k

nokia n97 rm505 uk generic firmware update v11

hi guys im new so say hi and reply please

i purchased a nokia n97 from you and it came unbranded ect i know there are plenty of glitches that need to be solved like the light issue the alarm clock(first day of work and i was late rofl because of that  hope ts fixed)

i have found that if you swipe the screen when widgets are there they dissapier ect and vice versa i thought that was a glitch for a while but figured it out its not i branded my phone with the vodafone firmware and it seems to act worse than the unbranded firmware ect i have been waiting patiently for the new firmware to come to the uk its out over the over side of the world but not here i dont understand ect

but can you try and give me an exact date of when the nsu will release the rm505 v11 software so i can update or if not i will be requesting a refund as this is not a cheap item please reply thanks in advance chris

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Unfortunately, nobody can give you an ETA for V11 firmware. It really is just a question of waiting. Nokia UK do seem to have dropped the ball for several phones lately.

We got the V21 update for the 5800 XpressMusic pretty quickly. V20, however, took 2 months to e released in the UK...

BTW, you said "I bought an N97 from you". You're not writing to Nokia here, but on a public forum certainly hosted and managed by Nokia but actually populated by other users of Nokia phones like yourself.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

How can Nokia UK 'drop the ball' on what they themselves describe as the flagship product.

I for one simply do not buy the line 'no one can tell when a firmware update will be out'. OK those outside Nokia who kindly participate on this forum and provide visitors help and assistance where they can may not know but someone at Nokia knows and that someone should get the V11 FW out to the N97 UK user base as the phone is a crock with the v10 firmware.

If someone from Nokia is on the forum please post to let us N97 UK users when we will get our update? Your 7 day returns policy means some of us are now stuck with your flagship v10 lemming till the new firmware comes out.

Nokia dont be shy please let us know what is going on with v11 FW in the UK.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Look, this is a public forum for user-to-user support. Nobofy from Nokia will post anything here IN THEIR OFFICIAL CAPACITY. You will not get an official response from Nokia on this forum.

The only time a Nokia employee, or anyone else for that matter, can give an ETA for something is if that ETA has been previously released officially by Nokia on its website, in the press or whatever. All we know is that the roll-out of V11 for the N97 started on July 1st. We don't know what the schedule is for release around the world and we certainly can't tell when mobile network operators are going to release their branded versions, or even if they are going to at all.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mongomania2k

well if i dont here of any update on nsu or through my contact at a service center byt the end of next week i will be returning my phone as i have a 14 return policy i am well dissapointed with it just the fact that NAmerica get it the day it was released is a bummer just wish it would of been ere first ect but i hope it does come becuase i truly love this phone

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Is your phone behaving that bad that you are willing to take it back rather than wait a bit longer? I have very few problems with mine (White UK unbranded) and those I do have are little annoying things but not enough to take phone back.
Please use plain text.

I am thinking the same as mongomania2k. I got an unbranded N97 on Orange last week and am strongly considering returning it. The reason being the poor internet connectivity. I have set up Destination>Internet>Priority 1 to be my WIFI and Priority 3 as my Orange WAP but for the life of me I cannot get the phone to switch between them when I go out of WIFI range or come into. I have to reboot the phone almost every time. Went back to Phones4U today and the guy there couldn't get it to work either despite going through the back to make a few calls (presumably to Orange or Nokia) he even came back and suggested I search for a network manager App on Google when I get home!! Anybody on here any ideas? I am going to give it until next Sat and if this problem is still there I am returning the phone. Shame on you Nokia for releasing a phone with so much problems (again) then dangling the V11 firmware in front of your uk customers but forcing us to wait. :-(
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I had the same problem for a while on my N97. There are various ways to tackle this, but I eventually chose to solve it by creating a 'new' destination group.In Settings/Connectivity/Destinations/Options/Manage and select New destination. Give this any name you want, and then put into this new group your selected destinations in priority order (for me wifi first then network internet and finally network wap). Under Detinations/Access point/Options/Default connection make the new group just created the default connection.I personally, under Web/Options/Settings/General, have set the Access point to be the new group just created. All this seemed to solve the problem. While in range of my wifi this is used by default; but as soon as the connection is lost I am asked which alternative connection to use and this then works fine! I am with vodafone, but this should be network independent?All apps which need internet/data access, such as Google Maps, Amaze GPS, Facebook etc. work properly.

(Just a small point is that if you have dynamic content on the main screen, such as the BBC iplayer, which is updated by wifi, as soon as the signal is lost the phone keeps beeping with a 'Wifi connection lost' message. I simply select Options/Content to offline mode until I get back into wifi range as I don't want, or need, to update the home screen content over the network!)

I do like the N97 and (fingers crossed) have not had any of the major problems that others have reported. It is a SIM free handset.

Hope this may be of some help.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mongomania2k

the problem i had was the alarm going off at random times not the set time ect facebook was really enoying me wouldnt ever let me sign in or anything then 2 days ago i loaded it again and its working fine now ect

when i flip keyboard up the screen dont come on and its annoying when your trying to show someone ya phone you feal like a idiot cos it aint working with the connection problem some of you have when im near my mums my connection auto switchs to wifi then when im at home it go's back to normal vodafone connextion music libray seems to lag when playing songs through bluetooth even though they are next to each other but i am willing to wait but its so bad they leave us hanging i think they want us to beg nokia to release it early for us as it should of been out when they first baught the phone to us

Please use plain text.

Aledj you are a genius! Thanks for the info. I have done what you advised and it now works spot on. It's thumbs up for the N97 again! :-) The concept of the 'Destinations' menu is simple once you know how it works but I would say there will be a good few folk struggling like I was.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for the reply aabroch1 - glad it worked for you too!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hey grschinion,

I understand that it is a
user2user forum and am glad that people like you contribute so much. Usually
forums like this have great snippits of information that help users get more
out of the device being discussed.

I posted about v11 firmware
because I - like many others (judging by how many times this topic is viewed)
am a bit frustrated with Nokia for the slow release of v11 to the UK &
their lack of response to the issue. I understand that Nokia may not respond
directly to my post.

However the FW has already
been released around the rest of the world so they really should know (even if
they wont comment)  when the ETA release is for the UK. I hope that Nokia
are now aware of the UK regions n97 user frustration with the original FW &
get v11 out soon.

I also understand that FW
release is something that this user to user forum can not assist with. I hope
however that in future Nokia will be able to communicate FW release dates a
little better to the users  in all regions (or release them so quick the
topic is not even discussed).

Anyway we never know the
unbranded 0585162 N97 might even skip v11 FW and get a later firmware
alltogether with even more fixes and features. Lets all hope they release a
firmware revision soon, as the N97 phone design is very good - if you ignore
(avoid) the bugs in v10 FW.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

V11 for the UK black 0585162 model is available now.  It appeared on the nokia software updater this morning.

As per usual there were no official announcements about it.

It is not available through the on-device updater, which is a shame :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

my code ends in 262 and it still says v10 only at least it looks like they are getting there slowly
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Fantastic news, when I get home I will be updating. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

But where oh were is V11 for 0587240 users :-( Guessing it will be soon but really want it NOW!! lol

Guess that serves me right for getting a white one ha-ha

Message Edited by daprodukt on 13-Jul-2009 04:13 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

For some reason or other, only the black one has had the update so far.

There's no telling how long it'll be before the white one gets an update. With the 5800 XpressMusic, for example, the blue and red variants got V21 more or less at the same time. The red one got V20, however, weeks before the blue one did.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

GRRRR no logical reason the lol

Oh well back to checking every day then, surely must be this week tho ya would think :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mongomania2k

today i went to my nokia care center in marthem (east anglia) and he flashed my phone with the new v11 firmware and bricked it i asked what should i do and he came out with another nokia n97 boxed and said have this 1 it is already preloaded with the new firmware

i was well chuffed but still some problems are yet to be found will post when i know more

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

I'd hate to hazard even a guess. It's totally unpredictable!

Please use plain text.