Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

5800 Xpress Music - No power save and Querty issue...

Contributor

5800 Xpress Music - No power save and Querty issues

I have had my Nokia 5800 since February and had no issues at all.

However over the last 4 days I have started to find issues with my display.

Issue 1: When using my full screeen Querty keyboard to write text messages and online type. The keyboard will often disappear, sometimes it will return, other times it won't. Very annoying.

Issue 2: About 3 days after that started happening, my phone stopped going in to power save mode. I have adjusted the Light time-out setting but it still refuses to black out. Even when I lock the keypad. It is draining my battery at an incredible rate and I can't get any information on repairs and want to avoid taking it to a shop if it's something I can fix myself.

I have dialled the #0000# to get my software update but it won't complete the request. 

I also went to update my software but don't have a PC, only have a MAC.

In my settings I have the following details:

Software version:

V11.0.009

Custom version:

Type:

RM-356

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Counsellor
gbtidi

Re: 5800 Xpress Music - No power save and Querty issues

rincks wrote:

I have had my Nokia 5800 since February and had no issues at all.

However over the last 4 days I have started to find issues with my display.

Issue 1: When using my full screeen Querty keyboard to write text messages and online type. The keyboard will often disappear, sometimes it will return, other times it won't. Very annoying.

Issue 2: About 3 days after that started happening, my phone stopped going in to power save mode. I have adjusted the Light time-out setting but it still refuses to black out. Even when I lock the keypad. It is draining my battery at an incredible rate and I can't get any information on repairs and want to avoid taking it to a shop if it's something I can fix myself.

I have dialled the #0000# to get my software update but it won't complete the request. 

I also went to update my software but don't have a PC, only have a MAC.

In my settings I have the following details:

Software version:

V11.0.009

Custom version:

Type:

RM-356

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A firmware update should fix all of your problems. Just to check, are you trying #0000# or *#0000# to update your firmware? Because the correct sequence is *#0000# (don't forget the first star!). If you have access to a WLAN network, there should be no reason why *#0000# shouldn't work.

If all else fails, you could try resetting your 5800. Try a soft reset first, and if that doesn't fix it, try a hard reset. Details for both processes are listed in this discussion.

3310 ~ 5210 ~ 3510i ~ 6230 ~ 6680 ~ N91 ~ N76 ~ N78 ~ 5800XM ~ N97 Mini & N900
Contributor

Thanks for that! I've tried a soft reset, no joy and I can't do a hard reset until I update my firmware. I did a check for updates from my phone and apparently there aren't any but I am only on V11 so I know there are updates.

Any other way I can update my phone without having to find someone with a pc to install the nokia updater? 

Also, if I reset to factory settings is that the same as restoring factory settings? If so I may give it a go, but I'm assuming I would have to back everything up.

Thanks

Contributor

"Also, if I reset to factory settings is that the same as restoring factory settings? If so I may give it a go, but I'm assuming I would have to back everything up"

Sorry I meant to ask if I reset to factory settings, is that the same as a hard reset?

Counsellor
gbtidi

Ah, yes, I forgot that the hard rest was a new feature...

What is your 5800's product code? (under the battery) If you're using a branded handset, it's possible that you might not be able to get the latest firmware until your carrier has approved it. You can visit a Nokia Care Point and get your phone flashed with the lastest firmware (which will overwrite your carrier's firmware). I got this done a couple of years ago for an old 6680 for £20 at the Thatcham care point. Otherwise, I believe the only ways to update firmware are using Nokia's PC software, or *#0000#.

If you're using an Intel-based Mac, you could always install Windows via Boot Camp, and update your phone from Nokia PC Suite that way. The Windows 7 Release Candidate is free until June 2010. Windows 7 is fast, stable, and I've got Nokia PC Suite working just fine on it.

ALWAYS backup your phone to your memory card, and remove it before doing any resets or updates!

Counsellor
gbtidi

rincks wrote:

"Also, if I reset to factory settings is that the same as restoring factory settings? If so I may give it a go, but I'm assuming I would have to back everything up"

Sorry I meant to ask if I reset to factory settings, is that the same as a hard reset?

No, they're different. Factory Settings will just wipe some of the config data from the phone, rather than resetting the OS.

Contributor

Thanks for the quick responses.

The *#0000# only tells me my current phone information, if I choose 'Options> check for updates' it says there aren't any updates. So it looks like I can't do a direct update.

Only other option it seems is finding a pc user at work and going through it that way. All a bit long winded for a phone that's meant to be challenging the iPhone.

My phone is fixed to O2, but is not branded, when I enter my product code on the site it says there is an update for it, but I can only get it via the nokia updater for the PC. I have a windows version for my intel mac, I haven't used it in a while, will have to see if I can get it going through there for future problems.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Contributor

Okaay, Wasn't able to get the updater working on my windows for mac, a lot of tweaking and updates needed. Was bringing my leads etc in to work to use on someones pc when I got a text message. Unlocked my phone to read it and it reset itself, then it reset again and continued to start the restart for 5 minutes until I took the battery out. Now when I restart it I get 'Phone start-up failed. Contact the retailer'.

Hopefully my ID will do at the shop instead of a receipt because I'm going to struggle to get it to them tomorrow!

Not exactly what I call a great thing to happen to a phone that's 4 months old and has been treated like a new child!

Not happy.