Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: grschinon NOKIA 5800

5800 and audio books?

hi,

im a complete novice to smart phones and all the technical stuff.  I was brought a 5800 as a gift and am struggling to find a site that sells audio books for download compatible to my 5800.

Earlier today I tried audible.co.uk but they do not support the 5800 the same as the others i googled.  This seems a bit strange considering the hi-tech phone the 5800 is.

Does anyone know where i can go to download the latest books for the 5800???

Regards

Dan

Please use plain text.
Professor
ricksvill

Re: 5800 and audio books?

The 58000 is the first handset to run the operating system S60 5th so I'm not that surprised some sites have not got around to being compliable yet.

That said I don't know of many sites, I'll give it a look over for you.

N96-1 + 8G SD~Software Version 30.033~Software Version Date 18-06-09~Type RM-247~P/C 0543713~T Mobile UK
Please use plain text.
Professor
ricksvill

I have E Mailed audible.co.uk asking when they will have an app for s60 5th as they look like a good site.
N96-1 + 8G SD~Software Version 30.033~Software Version Date 18-06-09~Type RM-247~P/C 0543713~T Mobile UK
Please use plain text.

thanks m8,

yes they do seem like a good site so I was a bit disappointed when I found out I couldnt use them yet, particularly as id just brought 2 ebooks without knowing!

Thanks for your help, let us know their reply.

Regards

Dan.

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]
I hear all my books on my Nokia 5800 from www.podiobooks.com, great free audio books. I use the normal music player and audio books appears has podcasts. You can also subscribe podio books through the podcasting app.
Message Edited by ruifcastro on 13-May-2009 02:51 PM
Please use plain text.
Professor
ricksvill

Thank you for contacting Audible UK I am afraid that currently the Nokia 5800 does not support the Audible *.aa format which is a secure file to protect the publisher's copyright. We are constantly in discussion with device manufacturers in a bid to have as many players support our format as possible but I am sorry this isn't the case yet with your device. You can, however, still burn your titles to CD or play them from your computer.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

this is what audible told me in an email today

"I'm sorry that you particular device is not supported with our service. It would certainly be beneficial to Audible if we did support the device as this would essentially mean more customer and more memberships not to mention broadening the device list for customer use. However there are times when device manufacturers simply will not provide a firmware upgrade in order to make our service compatible with a particular device. This appears to be the case with Nokia."

So it seems to be Nokia who have the ball at this time!

Please use plain text.

I too had hoped to listen to Audible books on my 5800.  Do you know if the situation has changed yet?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

> So it seems to be Nokia who have the ball at this time!

Well yes and no. 

Considering how well established Nokia are compared to Audible (who I only heard of today) you could still easily argue that Audible need to change their service to be compatible with Nokia phones - not the other way around.  This issue has not stopped me buying a Nokia, but it will now stop me using the Audible service.

So, actually, just no.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Agreed. The audio book service are using an oddball format that I've never heard of before. It's not up to phone manufacturers to implement every digitally-protected format under the sun in firmware. It's up to this company to provide an application to play back their weirdo files.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Sage

audible app works fine on the n97 ad 5800 i have it on both.. just tell the program you have an n85 or something and it insalls and even the pauase play works in touch mode.. if you cannot find the file pm me here andi will give you a copy of the .sis file..

also you can play straight mp3 audio books ... create a directory called podcasts on your memory card and put the book folder underneath... goto music player select all music then podcasts and select the book (after refreshing the library)...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]

grschinon  ! ! please reply.

I'm milt paul.  I'm a yank ( it is not my fault where I was born and I can't afford to move to UK). 

I'm very much in need of a "pin" number for the Nokia music download website.

Enough said?

Moderator note: E-mail address removed.
Message Edited by wildreamer on 06-Oct-2009 04:24 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

What on earth makes you think I would know the PIN number?

As an open-source advocate I wouldn't touch a DRM-infested music service with a bargepole.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.

but i dont want the audio books that i put under podcasts folder to show up in all songs while playing music.. i found that after refreshing library there are 2 copies one is marked podcast and other one marked music
Please use plain text.

I've had the same problem with audible.co.uk, but a few days ago I tried calling my phone an N85 (or something like that) then it magically happened and I can now listen to my books.  It's really good!
Please use plain text.

what u mean braside
Please use plain text.

i changed the genre to Podcast and tagged other info using mp3tag-excellent if u need to manage a lot of songs and to know it use propperly- and moved to 5800 using nokia music now its only podcast section only
Please use plain text.
Professor
bigguy

grschinon wrote:

As an open-source advocate I wouldn't touch a DRM-infested music service with a bargepole.

Right on!! I use open source 99% of the time, sadly the other 1% open source doesn't cut the mustard.

John.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

how/where do you change the name of the phone to N85?

thanks in advance 

Please use plain text.

When you are on the Audible Manager screen, click on Add Device, in the left side of the screen.  Follow the on-screen questions and try calling the phone N97 (sorry, not what I said already).  When I did that, it started to recognise the 5800 and, really strangely, it all worked!  I found out by reading back on what other visitors to the Nokia website had said - if you scroll up/down, you should find it.  I have found it really frustrating getting this sorted out, having bought the 5800 especially so that I could listen to audible books and do away with my mp3 player.  Please let me know if you manage to do it!

Please use plain text.