Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

5800 music xpress internet, map and gps

Registered Member

5800 music xpress internet, map and gps

I have just got this 5800 music express from an overseas country and trying to use it in australia.  I have two questions the answers to which i would really apperciate:

1. I have been trying to connect to the internet--the phone does pick up the wi-fi that's in our house but the internet does not connect.  I bought some credit for the phone and tried again and found that it worked, thinking that i was using the wi-fi but it turned out that i was using my credit and it used up all my credit to download two pages.   does anyone know how to connect to the net with the wi-fi and without using the phone's credit? 

2.  how does one use the maps without being actually connected to the net?  The guy told me that you have two options--gps which is voice guided and maps which is just directions.  he said gps uses the net while maps does not.  Is this true and how can i activate the maps? 

Counsellor

Re: 5800 music xpress internet, map and gps

1. the phone should work with any wireless netowrk, with any encription method. i am using it on many wifi networks, like everybody else.maby you have mac filter enabled on your wifi and need to addyour mac address to the access point :smileywink:. you can get your mac address by entering this on your dial pad: *#mac0wlan# (*#62209526#)

2. first of all, you need pcsuite installed on your pc, along with nokia map loader.

connect your phone to pc suite, open map loader on your pc, download the maps you need (australia), than disconnect the phone.

to use gps without internet usage, you need to deactivate a-gps function. you can do this in: menu - settings - phone - application settings - positioning - positioning methods - untick assisted gps and network based, so that only integrated gps is ticked.

than you can run nokia maps app on your phone. and you will have the gps. for voice guidance, you need to buy a license. you can also use diffrent software for gps usage, like garmin, igo, route 66. all of these cost also.

3650>6600>E51>N82>5800>n82>?
Mobile Guru
sockatume

Re: 5800 music xpress internet, map and gps

Offline services:

Maps - the Maps application will run whether it's online or not, and show you whatever maps are currently on the phone. You can use Map Loader (as described above) to download maps onto the phone via your computer.

GPS - this uses satellites to figure out your current location. It doesn't work very well in buildings or underground.

Directions (voice or text) - although it's offline, this costs money. You have to subscribe to Nokia's directions service each year (you might have a 3-month trial) or buy another company's directions package.

Online services:

AGPS - this goes online and looks up the cellular tower you're currently connected to in a database. That tells it roughly where you are. It's quicker than real GPS and works better indoors, but it's only a really rough idea where you are.

Automatic map downloading - if the Maps application doesn't actually have maps for your current area, and you allow the application to go online, then it will download the missing maps from the internet. If you don't want it to do this, don't let it go online.

Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.