Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: 5800 xpressmusic proximity sensor operation - ...

Counsellor
nickb99

5800 xpressmusic proximity sensor operation - compare to yours please?

Just trying to figure out if my proximity sensor is working ok or not. During dialling or calls the screen does not blank.  Changing the sensor settings (Settings>Phone>Sensor settings) does not seem to make any difference.  Does your 5800 do the same?

I watched a youtube video where the user shows how his screen blanks as soon as the sensor is covered after dialling a number say. So I think this is how it should work. Or maybe this function changed with later firmware??

The phone has the latest firmware and was recently soft and hard reset. 

Interested to hear from others who have the same phone and latest firmware to see if yours works the same.  PLEASE no comments saying "take to Nokia Care" or "reinstall firmware" - they won't help.

Now running a 701, beautiful phone to handle and use...now that it has stopped sending my personal information to Nokia via 360Panel [rolls eyes]
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
pavilion_alex

Re: 5800 xpressmusic proximity sensor operation - compare to yours please?

the proximity sensor will work based on the lighting of the room, if the room is pitch black it won't work, if you have lights on, it will work when you cover it.

why Nokia change it's functionality with the firmware? if still the sensor doesn't work, you must take it to Nokia Care to inspect and fix it. :smileyhappy:
Greece Nokia X6 RM-559 v40.0.002
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nickb99

Thank you for the tip about the ambient light, but it makes no difference to my phone.

Any 5800 xpress music users out there that can help me with this issue, comparing the function of your phone to mine please?

Now running a 701, beautiful phone to handle and use...now that it has stopped sending my personal information to Nokia via 360Panel [rolls eyes]
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

May be Hardware related and you will have to take it to Nokia care as suggested by pavilion_alex

... but I think it should work under any lighting condition. If it doesn't work in a complete dark room, its purpose (.. preventing accidental selection during a call) is lost... 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

My 5800 with v52 firmware still works normally, as what you say the video shows. Its either the firmware you downloaded missed some files or your prox sensor is broken. The sensors in the phone settings refer to accelerometers.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
nickb99

Thanks Chanchan for confirming.  Kudos.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
akvnk

am having problems with the proximity sensor.The phone works as it should when I make a call, i.e. the screen goes off when I hold it to my hands where lighting is perfect when i press end key it will displaying my home screen ..
after some suggestions by friends to take it Nokia care center to solve it ..
i did a funny thing i ripped / tear the dizetizer screen cover on light sensor and proxmity sensor holes area but still problem is same after dailing or receving calls my screen will going off ..
so kindly somebody suggest me that any chances to change the sensor part..!
Please use plain text.